Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Man In

• Start Topic

Given the fondness of police/prosecutors for trying juveniles as adults in big cases, J is in danger of having a huge chunk of his life spent in prison. There is a sense in which his criminal career thus far has been coerced, namely he's a kid who isn't truly independent (although he probably thinks so since he probably has provided much of his own care for a long time now.) He's going to fit in or be on the street. But that sort of thing is never regarded as coercion by the police or prosecutors. As to J's fear of retribution...he's lived his entire life with someone who simply left the Cody family, so it's hard to believe that he doesn't think he has the same "option." So it's really the police he's afraid of, as near as I can make out. The thing about that is, I've forgotten what he said when she was wearing a wire. Does anyone remember what the cops have got?

J asked Baz because he's going to go to the cops, but he didn't want to turn in his father. I'm pretty sure Baz doesn't know. Baz can't let go of Cath or his own father, if he knew he couldn't have just let go of Julia's son. But uncertainty about who the father was would have helped him ditch Julia for Smurf, I think. As to what J thinks...I do hope that the next episode doesn't start with another scene. That kind of crude withholding is more for getting people to tune back in than for the artistic effect, I think.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know J is supposed to be the "good guy" in all of this but my problem with the show is he is the least "likable" person on the show.  I don't judge a show or characters on likability of its characters in the usual way but honestly I think it was way to soon to have J turn on the family.  Like Craig (i think it was Craig and paraphrasing alot) he has very little skin in the game.  His whole reason for getting upset is problematic for me.  I don't buy his great love for his girlfriend who basically jumped into bed with his uncle and rubbed his face in it.  I know he's supposed to be the one we see the family through but if he got written out I wouldn't exactly mind.    The rest of the characters are at least entertaining.  Even Catherine's backstory was interesting.  I liked how the show explained how deep she really is with the Cody's.   Thats what I find interesting its kind of like the relationship between Tara and Jax on Sons of Anarchy and I found that relationship the backbone of the series and the closest comparison to this show anyway.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

I had no idea the couple that Pope allegedly incinerated was Katharine's parents.  Even knowing that, I still find it hard to believe that the cops approached Katharine with "Will you turn on your babydaddy, all her uncles and her grandmother (and a major source of income)?"  I think the show works best when it focuses on the family dynamic.  This is a show about a crime family with a mother, four sons and a grandson.  The rivalries and issues between the brothers can fuel plotlines for years.  Add some significant others (besides Katharine) and the potential for drama is endless.  Keep the cops out of it, they're needless.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I had no idea the couple that Pope allegedly incinerated was Katharine's parents.  Even knowing that, I still find it hard to believe that the cops approached Katharine with "Will you turn on your babydaddy, all her uncles and her grandmother (and a major source of income)?"  I think the show works best when it focuses on the family dynamic.  This is a show about a crime family with a mother, four sons and a grandson.  The rivalries and issues between the brothers can fuel plotlines for years.  Add some significant others (besides Katharine) and the potential for drama is endless.  Keep the cops out of it, they're needless.

At least until season two or three. I haven't seen the movie  but my guess is that the first season is following the movie to a certain extent which I think is a mistake.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Nicky's ridiculous, who shows up at your ex's house after he dumps you, opens their gate and wants to use their pool? I'm not sure what J was doing with her to begin with, she really seemed more into drugs very like his mom/teacher maybe. Where as he is  apparently  the drug care giver.

J turning on his family so quick, I don't like. I wish they would have incorporated him in more before turning on them.

I like how they made Baz not as goody goody they started with. He's as dark as the others. 

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I like how they made Baz not as goody goody they started with. He's as dark as the others. 

I also enjoyed that.  Tensions are mounting.  I guess the job on the base is going to be spread over three episodes.   I also don't see how they're getting in with the man-buns and beards.  This show keeps getting better and better.  It's a top priority for me. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Nicky's ridiculous, who shows up at your ex's house after he dumps you, opens their gate and wants to use their pool? I'm not sure what J was doing with her to begin with, she really seemed more into drugs very like his mom/teacher maybe. Where as he is  apparently  the drug care giver.

A true example of co-dependency. I never liked Nicky for J. Didn't she used to copy his homework and encourage him to smoke weed at school? I wonder if Nicky knew that his mom was a heroin addict before she did. It doesn't sound like something he'd shout from the rafters.

And I wonder if Smurf ever told Nicky that she was always welcome to come over and use the pool. 

• Love 3

Does anyone understand how this heist is supposed to work? What are they doing with all that money they ironed? Is it counterfeit? Is the plan to replace the pallet of real money with counterfeit so nobody will realize it was stolen right away? I don't think they had enough in those bags to fill an entire pallet, but maybe the plan is to use some kind of box to take up most of the space then cover the box with the fake money. But where will they get the right sized box?

I know J is supposed to be the "good guy" in all of this but my problem with the show is he is the least "likable" person on the show.  

Finn Cole plays the role so close to the vest it's hard to get a read on him, but mostly I feel sorry for him. He grew up with nothing but a junkie for a mother and never even knew who his father was. It's a testament to his character that he managed to stay in school, and apparently even excelled there until recently. Then he loses his one constant in life and has to move in with a grandmother he doesn't know and uncles who are clearly hostile towards him. He knows his mother had nothing to do with this family and he had to know on some level they were criminals. He's walking a fine line here.

I felt really bad for him when he finally got up the courage to ask Baz if he was his father, only to have Baz dump all his own father issues all over him and reject him. You know J only agreed to be part of this heist because he had no choice and was probably hoping to impress Baz enough to finally ask him if he was his father. When he finally broke down to Alexis about how they (his family) just use everyone, it was probably more about Baz than it was about Craig and Nicky. 

I think the show works best when it focuses on the family dynamic.  This is a show about a crime family with a mother, four sons and a grandson.  The rivalries and issues between the brothers can fuel plotlines for years.  Add some significant others (besides Katharine) and the potential for drama is endless.  Keep the cops out of it, they're needless.

Funny, that's the same thing I said about American Gothic. In this case the suspense of the police trying to catch this family is probably more appropriate. But I agree the family dynamic is enough to sustain the show and I'm worried someone is going to die before this season is over. 

• Love 3
(edited)

As to the detective's certainty Pope murdered Cath's parents on Smurf's orders, the case of course is circumstantial. Perhaps it is surprising but circumstantial cases can be (usually?) far more reliable than confessions and eye witness testimony. However, there is one circumstance missing from her case as presented to us: Any reason to think Smurf knew about the police contact. Without that, the circumstances don't include a motive. And I'm pretty sure that they need to demonstrate motive, because arson is not a reliable means of murder. The arson (I'm assuming there is at least forensics supporting arson in the first place, but really, cops lie all the time,) could have been intended to make them move. I could see Smurf inviting Cath to stay in their guest room (Baz',) or Pope delighted that Cath had to move away from Baz. Pope showing up with a lawyer doesn't mean a thing of course. 

Of the classic trio, motive, opportunity and means, the circumstances indicating motive are unknown; the opportunity (Pope's presence nearby close in time,) certain; the means, unreliable. My tentative conclusion is probably, but reasonable doubt obtains.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2
(edited)

I disagree with this show focusing more on family drama. That'll make it a little too soap opera for my taste and I'm a fan of soaps. I'm liking the current balance of crime drama with soap opera moments thrown in. These folks are criminals, so it's inevitable that cops and even other seedy characters will interact with them.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, atomationage said:

I think Smurf did tell Nicky that she could come over whenever she wanted.  Smurf also asked her which uncle she would like if she wasn't with Jay.  The answer is Craig I guess. 

How old is Craig, BTW? I know he isn't a dirty old man, but Smurf sending a grown man to distract a teenaged girl is a little squicky. It's the way she suggested it. But it's also typical Smurf behavior. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

I loved the scene with the family sitting all together.  

Ben Robson is from Newcastle, England?  He's a Geordie?  He's 32 IRL.  I'm pretty much going by the ages of the actors for the ages of the characters.  I'm wondering if he has changed his name and is related to Robson Green, who is from Hexham, not that far from Newcastle.  Maybe Robson is a common name around there.  His Tumbler is pretty cool.  I don't know if it's been linked here before: 

http://benrobsonfansite.tumblr.com/

• Love 1

And the plot thickens! I know that J cant turn on the family yet, its way too soon in the shows run, so I have no idea where this whole plot is going. I feel like the teacher is not long for this world. Fake heroin overdose? House burns down?

I liked Nikki at first, but now I think she kind of sucks. I should have known early on that she might be bad news, with her getting J to do her homework, but now she just comes off as a bratty thrill seeking teenager. Having sex with your exs adult uncle is just...gross. Granted, J had sex with his teacher, and kissed her whole Nikki was still in the picture, but he at least seems to be trying to a decent guy, while also trying not to get thrown out onto the streets by his nutty family. Also, who shows up at your old boyfriends house to use the pool?   

I felt awful for him when Baz was going off on him. I think Baz figured out already that he was Js father, and his daddy issues made him push J away as much as possible. Dude has issues. 

• Love 1

In the movie, Jay turned on the family when

Spoiler

Pope killed Nikki.  I bet they kill the teacher instead in this series.

I thought the scene between Baz and Jay was the best in this episode.  It was all very tense, or I've very over-caffeinated. 

• Love 2

I read the conversation between Jay and Baz differently.  Didn't Jay start the conversation with something like "I just found out something..."  Then Baz started with "I'm busy, get to the point..."  I thought  Jay was about to tell him about Alexis and the wire, but stopped and quickly came up with the question "Are you my father?"  The shot of Baz and Pope looking at Jay when he was asked about his possible criminal history sent goose bumps up my spine.  Those two are formidable.  This has become my number one favorite show.  I love the family dynamics.

• Love 9
48 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

I was under the impression Nikki just told J they did it to get under his skin. 

That was also a possibility for me.  I have a tendency to just listen to shows, and only look at the screen when it sounds like something interesting is happening, or my favorite actors are talking, and I never heard or saw Craig and Nikki doing anything.  With a show like this, I save them and watch again later when I'm more open to actually watching every scene.  I'll probably do that after the whole season is over. 

• Love 1

I'm with those who find J's story compelling.  And I am puzzled why anyone would think he should get involved with the family business...suddenly it is OK to steal cars, watches, and who knows what else?  To threaten and maybe kill potential witnesses? He, of course, is scared to death of his family--- as well he should be.  He tried once to leave, but Smurf tracked him down via his telephone; she orders him to carry the phone and he knows why.

This is a kid raised by a heroin addict.  Still he does well in school.  (Which in real life, unfortunately, seldom happens.  In real life he would likely have dropped out of school himself.  In real life, if he were still in school, he would probably have a part-time, after-school job which might have enabled him to try to stay on in the apartment after his mother died, at least for awhile.)  What I wonder now is how his mother managed...was she a prostitute? Did she have some sort of job?  Did Smurf actually give her money?  We know she owed her drug dealer....but that is really all we know about her finances. Would she have been entitled to AFDC?  At the funeral some of the other mourners urge J to leave Smurf...they say his mother wanted to keep him away from her family.  J is the one who called Smurf...clearly he does not really know her initially but hopes for a place that will take him in...even though he must have known that his mother did not want him to know her family.  Maybe he was hoping for a soft life with his mother's wealthy if questionable family and instead walked in to a nightmare.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

I suppose the camo uniforms were to help the guys blend in on the military base.  Yet, they give no thought to how the facial hair and man buns on Craig and Deran will make them stand out.  I would think stakes this big would merit them getting a shave and haircut.  

True...but weren't they going in on the ruse that they were going to play paint ball?

6 hours ago, Artsda said:

J turning on his family so quick, I don't like. I wish they would have incorporated him in more before turning on them.

I noticed he has been getting darker, too. That seen with his dad where he's shoving the booze down his throat...yikes! Every time he goes there, I expect his money to be gone because his dad found it.

3 hours ago, atomationage said:

I loved the scene with the family sitting all together.  

Ben Robson is from Newcastle, England?  He's a Geordie?  He's 32 IRL.  I'm pretty much going by the ages of the actors for the ages of the characters.  I'm wondering if he has changed his name and is related to Robson Green, who is from Hexham, not that far from Newcastle.  Maybe Robson is a common name around there.  His Tumbler is pretty cool.  I don't know if it's been linked here before: 

http://benrobsonfansite.tumblr.com/

I do detect his English accent coming out here and there at times!

If find it very hard to believe, especially in today's world, that the MPs would just let Jay go. No way in hell would that happen. Who knew it was super easy to get over a barb wire fence quickly not once, but twice, without cutting yourself?

C. Thomas Howell and I share the same birthday (I'm a year older than he is), and not that he looks bad, but I just can't get over how much he has aged. It's distracting! Lol

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Cranky One said:

If find it very hard to believe, especially in today's world, that the MPs would just let Jay go.

They were some pretty wimpy looking MPs.  Maybe they had something better to do that they wanted to get back to doing.  I actually don't like this military base story, but it's pretty exciting.  They've really gotten far away from the movie. 

• Love 1

I was under the impression Nikki just told J they did it to get under his skin. 

It could be either/or at this point. When Craig came home Smurf made an issue out of him being gone for 2 hours, so we really don't know what went on during those two hours. Then Deran made some kind of comment about it too and Craig said something like "are you saying I can't keep it in my pants?" and Deran said "Yeah." No, they never showed anything so we don't know for sure.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, atomationage said:

They were some pretty wimpy looking MPs.  Maybe they had something better to do that they wanted to get back to doing.  I actually don't like this military base story, but it's pretty exciting.  They've really gotten far away from the movie. 

Yes, because a job of this magnitude would take months of planning, I would think! I have not seen the movie. I am also sad because there are only 2 more episodes left :(

• Love 2

I thought this was the best episode yet. The scene with J running around the base planting the cigarette was tense!

Craig. Seriously. Keep it in your pants! I've never liked Nicky. 

One question I had, the detective told Catherine that she would be in handcuffs. would they even be able to charge her with anything? She isn't involved in the job, she doesn't know any details about it. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

RE:  where C. Thomas told them that everyone, even officers, have their cars searched entering and exiting the base.  Now, maybe Camp Pendleton is stricter than other bases and I'm wrong, but I've never heard of that.  Normally, an officer has a blue Department of Defense sticker on his windshield and he stops at the gate to show the sentry his ID card then gets waved in. 

Perhaps C. Thomas said that to lesson the risk for him. I'm sure it is a lot easier for military MPs on a base to search a car if they have reason to, then for an average police officer to do so.  If anything goes wrong, it wouldn't take long for the base to be locked down and at that point they might be searching officers cars  

I don't think that Nikki and Craig did the deed.  I think she was just trying to upset J.

Is it me or is Baz getting less and less attractive looking as his character gets darker and darker?

I agree about Nikki, Craig and Baz

What were they doing to those dollar bills?

If I understood the plan correctly - which I am note sure if I did, so correct me if I am wrong - they are replacing the money with $1 bills. The longer before anybody notices that they are gone, the better it is for the theif. But they need the bills to look fresh.  A stack of  $1s would look the same as a stack of $20s if you don't take a close look.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, sjohnson said:

As to J's fear of retribution...he's lived his entire life with someone who simply left the Cody family, so it's hard to believe that he doesn't think he has the same "option." So it's really the police he's afraid of, as near as I can make out.

That makes a lot of sense.  He did seem to be wary of cops from Day 1

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Now, maybe Camp Pendleton is stricter than other bases and I'm wrong, but I've never heard of that.

Within the confines of the plot, it could be occurring because of the upcoming deployment.  Personal experience:  I worked for many years with CalFire, or CDF as it is officially known, as a fire crew captain on an inmate crew.  One of the work camps is outside San Luis Obisbo at the National Guard facility Camp Roberts.  When we would pull in there, the MPs would wave the crew buses full of inmates right on through, but stop the supervisor's pickup to check for identification.  Go figure.

• Love 3

Is it me or is Baz getting less and less attractive looking as his character gets darker and darker?

Baz has always been dark. It's just that more of the darkness is being revealed, incrementally, episode by episode.  And of course, to me, he's getting hotter!  :)

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

When we would pull in there, the MPs would wave the crew buses full of inmates right on through, but stop the supervisor's pickup to check for identification.  Go figure.

Perhaps they didn't want the supervisor to see them breaking policy? And following official protocol with the boss might be fun?

• Love 1

Ditto comments upthread, it's ridiculous that J could be running around the base unnoticed in broad daylight. Also utterly impossible that the MPs would just let him go without further questioning. Nice save on referring to the Chinooks though. Guess J did a little homework beforehand, or would the average kid living near the base know the helicopters by name because they'd see/hear them leaving and returning? Plus he probably knows kids like Nicky whose parents work on the base and he'd have heard some of the more common lingo.

"What if I am?" Oof. And on top of that Baz basically called J's mom a garden utensil. Probably not the way to play it but then again it wasn't the time to have that conversation. I'm still wondering if Pope's the daddy.

I don't get why Pope's prison pal was taunting Smurf, or why she didn't kill him on the spot. I guess she'll get the boys to handle it later?

Heh, Craig's not being able to keep it in his pants, as well as Nicky's inability to keep her mouth shut, is probably what will finally provoke J into ratting them out. Oh wait, the show's renewed for another season so no ratting yet, I  guess.

• Love 1

If I understood the plan correctly - which I am note sure if I did, so correct me if I am wrong - they are replacing the money with $1 bills. 

But they don't have enough of them to fill that entire pallet. They each had a bag or two. That pallet was huge. That's why I'm thinking they'd need some sort of box to fill most of the pallet with, then cover the box with the replacement bills to fill out the rest of the pallet and make it look like it's all bills, not just a few stacks covering an empty box.

I forgot to mention, now that we've seen his face more clearly, the actor playing Baz's father really does look like he could be Scott Speedman's father. They have a very similar facial construction and similar noses. 

They were some pretty wimpy looking MPs.  Maybe they had something better to do that they wanted to get back to doing.

It could also be that kids hop that fence to check out the cool helicopters all the time. You can see them right from the bike path, and the fact that there's a publicly accessible bike path there at all would certainly make that a temptation for lots of kids. So some random kid, hopping the fence? Probably not an uncommon occurrence. 

• Love 6

What if they did take him? They end up calling Smurf and J has a juvie record for trespassing. But connecting a stray kid with sprinklers going off is nothing. (Also, finding the cause is likely going to take a good while.) His name is already signed in at the gate. If something else makes cops look at the Codys, it's too late for J. Which makes me think they're going to get away with the heist, getting caught would be the end of the series I think. 

• Love 2

It will be interesting to see what this show does going forward. Because it's true that if the family gets caught, the show ends. I can see this show veering off in so many directions. I suppose next season we'll be introduced to an organized crime syndicate whom the family has to do battle with.

• Love 1

This is probably an idea for the last season of the show, but I wouldn't mind seeing an entire season of J plotting some huge diabolical plan of revenge against the family, taking them down, one by one.  First Deran, then Craig, then Pope, then Baz and finally Smurf.  He wouldn't have to anything to Smurf, life without her boys would be unbearable.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

I think because I'm a huge Speedman fan and I've seen him in dark things before (his role in Good Neighbors in particular was a lot darker) I just see him as attractive no matter what he's in. But that's just me being a fangirl. =D

• Love 3
6 hours ago, sjohnson said:

(Also, finding the cause is likely going to take a good while.)

In real life, sprinkler systems usually do not activate all the sprinklers simultaneously.  They can be set up that way, but the common method is for the heat sensor in one sprinkler to break, which allows water to flow in that one sprinkler.  And a pack of matches on the floor is not enough heat, but that's the plot.  It remains to be seen what effect the sprinkler alarms will have on the entire robbery scheme.  As always, everything will have to be perfectly timed with no problems for it to come off.

(edited)

Ah, they're cheating on the sprinklers. Shouldn't be surprised, though. I do believe however the point of the sprinklers was to get the money moved to a different building, presumably for safety since something's wonky in the one where the sprinklers magically went off.

I thought I was the only one who liked Good Neighbors (and I don't care for most Jay Baruchel movies.) Pleasant surprise.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Ditto comments upthread, it's ridiculous that J could be running around the base unnoticed in broad daylight. Also utterly impossible that the MPs would just let him go without further questioning. Nice save on referring to the Chinooks though. Guess J did a little homework beforehand, or would the average kid living near the base know the helicopters by name because they'd see/hear them leaving and returning? Plus he probably knows kids like Nicky whose parents work on the base and he'd have heard some of the more common lingo.

A certain percentage of kids his age would know from modeling and gaming and perhaps an interest in enlisting in a couple of years. Thirty years after the fact for me I noticed after being annoyed that he could get his bike next to the  them all the Army not Marine helicopter types at the USMC base Camp Pendleton and started my head canon that they belonged to the CA National Guard. Back in the Cold War before 9/11 and increased security you did have to go through MP manned checkpoints at Pendleton where as at many Army bases you drove straight in with a sign like you passed a city border, maybe past a private security guard with only certain areas of the fort, like a flight line, having increased levels of security

• Love 1
On July 27, 2016 at 7:20 AM, sjohnson said:

J asked Baz because he's going to go to the cops, but he didn't want to turn in his father.

I am not sure about this.  Someone way up-thread suggested J was originally going to warn Baz about the cops...he said something, to begin with, like..."I found some things out..."  and what he found out probably has to do with the cops and the teacher.  But then he seems to change his mind.  Maybe he can't think of how to tell what he knows without implicating the teacher, for whom he has developed feelings.  This seems like an odd time to have a conversation about whether or not Baz is his father... unless this is a fall back when he finds Baz is short tempered and dismissive.  Baz has made it clear that only the family matters.  So maybe you are right...he needs to find out if Baz looks at him as a son, and is thereby protected, or only a semi-family member, and also whether or not he will be turning in his own father if he does go to the cops.  But if he does intend to go to the cops, why does he risk his own involvement by setting the fire? I think he went back to the teacher because he is so upset about what Baz has said about his mother, and the teacher is really the only port in the storm, so to speak.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

it's ridiculous that J could be running around the base unnoticed in broad daylight

It is.  In fact, J is pretty inept as a criminal.  He gets caught trying to steal the car and has to be rescued by Pope...maybe this is not really his carelessness.  But on the post, it seems to me that a more savvy criminal would wear something that would blend in a bit better once he has jumped the fence...and that rather that setting off at a dead run would try harder to look as though he belonged and had a perfect privilege to be doing whatever he was doing.  And he could have avoided being picked up by the patrol by being more alert to the possibility they would be there.

I wonder if he put his school book back in his pack.  The camera lingers on him tearing out a page or two from his book...but does not show him putting it back.  The school book would be easily traceable.  It would be stamped with the name of his school and numbered...

I truly wonder if this particular plot device would even work.  Activating the sprinklers so the money could not be stored there is a good idea...but surely it is harder than throwing a burning book of matches wrapped in a couple sheets of glossy paper down an air vent to activate even one sprinkler.

20 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:
On July 28, 2016 at 7:31 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Baz has always been dark. It's just that more of the darkness is being revealed, incrementally, episode by episode.  And of course, to me, he's getting hotter!

Agree!  Did Baz show up at his Dad's with the whiskey because he has to justify his treatment of J  by reminding himself and his father what a really bad father is like? At least he never beat J!  Just abandoned him.

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Am I alone in thinking that Pope just needs a good woman to understand him and he'd be fine?

Oh, I am?

Ok, now I know how those women end up becoming pen pals to lifers.

They're just misunderstood - most of all by the women who correspond with them!  ;-)

ETA:  J looks a lot like Pope, which would explain a lot.  Also, Camp Pendleton is huuuuuuge, and breaches are not impossible (not that I know anything about that!!!).  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

I live in San Diego and have been to Camp Pendleton many times. They have their own beach and, if you know or are related to someone in the military or Department of Defense, they will allow you access to that beach. You do have to go through a check point and they ask who you know and I think that person may have had to put you on the list , but they have never searched our vehicle or done anything more than verify our relationship to the person in the military/DoD before allowing us access to the beach.  

It's a great beach to be able to go to as it's generally not quite as crowded as the non-military beaches in San Diego, but also because of all the fabulously hot military guys either enjoying some time off in water or working as lifeguards. :-)

I've never been to (or really even heard of) any bike trails that go through Pendleton, but I'm not a biker so it's entirely possible there are bike trails open to the public that I'm just not aware of as that isn't really my sport. I do believe that Miramar (the base prominently featured in Top Gun) and not too far from Pendleton has biking and hiking trails open to the public, however. From what I've heard, they are kept a fair distance away from where the fighter jets and other aircraft take off from and are stored though you can frequently see them flying overhead on exercises as one of the main freeways cuts through the middle of Miramar. Knowing how things happen at Miramar leads me to believe that even if there are public bike/hiking paths on Pendleton, they likely wouldn't be near any of the aircraft, though I could be wrong. I just know that near the Pendleton beach, you can't see any aircraft (or really anything military related though you can see the nuclear power plant not too far away as you drive up).

• Love 3

Maybe its just because I like Ben Robson, but I too am thinking Nikki just said that to hurt J. I know this family seems to have no boundaries but for some reason I do not think he went there. It just seems like one line he wouldn't knowingly cross. Reminds me of the end of the movie "From Dusk till Dawn" where George Clooney tells her that he may be an bastard but he is not a fucking bastard when she asks if he wants company. I know maybe I am putting too much faith in his messed up morals. We will see.

Oh and them at the end all in camo heading to the base, the may not look believable but they did look hot, nice shallow moment!

• Love 4

I watched this a second time and I think I have a better idea of what's going on with the money they ironed - I think they're using it to set someone up to take the fall for this heist.

First we see Deran and Craig stripping down a white van - they pull out the seats and backs and cut them open and that's where they put all the money they ironed. (Also, the bills were 20s, not singles as someone suggested upthread). Then they put all the seats back into the van. This van has some kind of insignia on the side door - seems to be governmental but I could only make out the top.

Then when they're leaving Smurf's house they take off in a black van and black jeep, part somewhere, and get into a green truck. That seems to be the vehicle they're taking into the base.

So - they aren't bringing that money into the base. I'm thinking they're going to lead the authorities back to the white van and whoever it's connected to is going to take the fall for this because they'll rip it apart and find all that money. 

My question is who's taking the fall - is it Paul? Because the way they've been talking it sounds as if they're worried he's going to roll over on them, which surely he would if they set him up to take the fall for this. So maybe they're setting up someone else, I just can't figure out who. Whatever is going on, they didn't take that money with them into the base.

• Love 4

They iron the ones and then put crisp twenties on the top and bottom, so it looks like a pack of 20s.

Maybe they are not going to steal the entire pallet...just the bottom or middle few layers...so the theft is not discovered until the ship is at sea?  Maybe Paul is going to drive the car into the base?  This latter part is what has me confused, too.

Unless they are caught making the substitution, months may go by before the crime is discovered.

But where do all the ones come from?  I saw Deran and Craig breaking in and getting them...but where is it they get these dollars?  

I looked online and there apparently is a bike path running north to south through the base, but it looks as though the fake IDs would need to be military IDs or guest passes. so those hairdos really could be a problem.  At least they need hats to cover up the pony tails. I don!t think this plot will bear too much scrutiny, so just accept it as a story...

If someone does rat them out, look at the suspects...besides Josh, there is Nikki (who Craig says "knows things,")  Katherine, Vin, and Paul himself.  The local cops probably have no jurisdiction on the base anyway.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My question is who's taking the fall - is it Paul?

That's why Paul is being stupid.  He is expendable to the nth degree.  He looks around, says to himself, who is the fifth wheel here?

• Love 1

Paul being dead is the only way he can be relied on not to put the Codys in the crosshairs. But being killed pretty much guarantees the cops talk to the family, including Nikki. No, I can't see any sane plan involving anything but the fear of getting caught keeping Paul's mouth shut. But that seems like quite enough to me.

• Love 2