Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

I've long noticed whole scenes being deleted on Golden Girls and other shows like Everybody Loves Raymond but recently, at least on ELR, they are cherrypicking through an episode and deleting a line or two (honestly how much time is that giving them for ads???) does anyone know if they're doing that on Golden Girls as well?  Because each line on this show truly is golden!!

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 1

I recently watched the show with Dorothy and Rose doing the "Miami Is Nice" song. They deleted the scene where Dorothy and Rose argue about the lyrics which was saddening. Interuterine and thrice have to be said.. 

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Love 6

I've been longtime fan of the Golden Girls and also have been watching Mama's Family ever since I found it on my local MeTV channel.  I couldn't help but notice some interesting similarities between plot/characters on both shows. Because Mama's Family was on the air earlier, it looks as if the writers for the Golden Girls "borrowed" some of Mama's plots.

Some examples:

Mama's babysitting a neighbor's baby and sings "Mr. Sandman" to the baby. The Golden Girls babysit a friend's baby and sing the exact same song.

On one episode, Mama appears on Jeopardy!  Ditto for Golden Girls. Dorothy's dying to get on the show and has a dream about competing with Rose.

Mama has a variety show. Ditto for the Golden Girls. (the episode with Bob Hope).

Mama goes to night school to finish getting her H.S. Diploma.  Ditto for Rose, she goes too.

Bubba videotapes Mama, Vint & Naomi for filmmaking project at school.  While working at a TV station, Rose videotapes the Girls for a work project. The one where Sophia says Dorothy looks like Fess Parker.

And while watching Mama's Family, some of the same actors  are used in both shows. For example:

Mama's Family - Rev. Meecham. Golden Girls' -  the priest officiating at Phil's funeral and Dorothy's wedding.

Mama's Family - Uncle Roy the sailor. On Golden Girls, he was the first Big Daddy.

Mama's Family - in the Hawaiian vacation episode big business tycoon R.W. is the Cheeseman on the Golden Girls.

Mama's Family Vinton Harper was Thor Anderson on the Golden Girls.

And of course, Aunt Fran and Ellen Harper went on to be Blanche and Rose on the Golden Girls.

I'm sure there's probably a few more I couldn't think of offhand. But it sure is fun to spot the similarities between the two. Anyone else know of any others?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Miss Chevious said:

I've been longtime fan of the Golden Girls and also have been watching Mama's Family ever since I found it on my local MeTV channel.  I couldn't help but notice some interesting similarities between plot/characters on both shows. Because Mama's Family was on the air earlier, it looks as if the writers for the Golden Girls "borrowed" some of Mama's plots.

I can't comment personally because, while I have every episode of The Golden Girls more or less memorized, I've never seen an episode of Mama's Family. But I actually have seen it brought up elsewhere, how a lot of GG plots seemed to be lifted directly from Mama's Family. I want to say that there was even an article about it that I read, but it was so long ago I can't remember where it would be. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Mama's babysitting a neighbor's baby and sings "Mr. Sandman" to the baby. The Golden Girls babysit a friend's baby and sing the exact same song.

This is the only one that when I watched the episode of Mama's Family, I thought it was just like TGG episode. That said, the girls singing "Mr. Sandman" was much funnier.

• Love 2

Just caught the episode where Rose sells a bunch of her things to Blanche and Blanche finds $49,000 in bonds. While splitting them with Rose was the generous thing to do I think Rose was being a snit by demanding half. She should've gone through those boxes to make sure nothing important was in them or just accepted that the deal was, as she stressed to Blanche, "final."

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

And why couldn't they redeem the bonds one at a time?

A very good idea! And of course it turns out the town had a half a million dollar emergency fund for statues so they wouldn't have gone under. I would've throttled Rose.

Rose could be really selfish and she had a sense of entitlement that reared its ugly head from time to time. For me it's more annoying when she does it because she sees herself - and others see her - as such a good two shoes, whereas Blanche is pretty upfront about her selfishness. TBH, Rose was my least favorite of the GG (though there are plenty of times when I like her).

• Love 4

If one of my best friends wanted to have a yard sale to get rid of some stuff, I told her no, but I'd buy the box from her, then she didn't go through the box and thus accidentally gave me nearly $50k worth of bonds along with $50 (or whatever) worth of miscellaneous stuff, I would just be relieved she sold the box to me rather than someone else and give her the bonds back.  

With that said, this isn't an episode I've watched very many times, so I don't remember specifics of how their conversation went once the bonds were discovered.  Rose could indeed be selfish - without the self-awareness Blanche generally had about her selfish nature - so if I saw it again I might agree that she handled it poorly. 

• Love 10

I don't disagree, @Bastet, it's just the way Rose acted. Like, first after Blanche offers to buy what Rose herself referred to as "crapola in a box" Rose tells Blanche that a deal's a deal and she doesn't want to hear Blanche complain later. Then when Blanche discovers the bonds Rose immediately claims half. Yes, Blanche is a naturally selfish person and could have behaved better- splitting them is the smart move if for no other reason than not doing so would create a nightmare living situation. (But giving them back right off, especially given that they were bought by Charlie, was the right thing to do.) And in other similar situations Blanche always came through in the end; her first instinct may be a selfish one but her heart and mind always make the right choice (putting the other women's names on the deed, using her boob job money to help Sophia's friend, etc). As I said, it was just Rose's attitude about it (especially given how she always acts so superior); Rose never missed an opportunity to act that way and it grates hugely. 

Edited by slf
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Maherjunkie said:

With those examples it seems like Blanche is actually pretty selfless.   Maybe I'm more boundary oriented.

Blanche tends to be more self-centered about the small, everyday stuff but she always comes through, especially when it really matters. I remember the episode when Rose thought she might have AIDS and Rose was lashing out (understandably); it's tough to take that kind of harshness but Blanche was endlessly supportive and gently put Rose in her place when she said Blanche should have AIDS instead. Or the way she forgave Rose, Dorothy, and Sophia when they all turned on her after that politician said he had an affair with her? I thought she would've been entirely justified to evict them.

Blanche is often called 'the bitch' or 'the selfish one' but she actually supported her friends through and forgave them for some pretty rough stuff.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, slf said:

Then when Blanche discovers the bonds Rose immediately claims half. Yes, Blanche is a naturally selfish person and could have behaved better- splitting them is the smart move if for no other reason than not doing so would create a nightmare living situation.

That's how I feel. They were best friends and housemates, so splitting the money makes the most sense if either of them wanted to continue the relationship harmoniously. And neither of them seemed desperate for cash at the moment, so it would have been easy to come up with a solution that would make them both happy. But it definitely rankled when Rose demanded half of the money before giving Blanche a chance to really think about it. It's hard to feel good about doing something gracious and magnanimous if someone's in your face demanding that you "do the right thing".

• Love 3

I just started watching the episodes again on Hallmark and have a few comments. Dorothy, Blanche and Rose are supposed to be in their fifties but seem much older than today's 50ish women. I'm in my fifties, still work full time and dress in a modern way. To me. all of the women dressed really old fashioned and frumpy, even by 1980's standards. And if they were in their 50's, why did almost all of their boyfriends/dates look to be late 60's, early 70's? Most of the guys had to be at least a decade older than the women then.

I also think they all seemed really low energy and more like old retired ladies but perhaps I'm comparing them to women today. Dorothy works as a substitute teacher and she could certainly have been working full time. Rose works a few different things and Blanche works or volunteers for a few hours a week. I know they did this so the women would have lots of time at home together. It also seems every episode starts with one of them coming in the front door, or coming in the kitchen, loudly complaining about something. I'm sure some of the viewers who are much younger think all 55 year old women are this way, but it just doesn't seem right. My mother was in her 50's during the 1980's and still working and looking young and didn't even have gray hair until she was around 58. 

• Love 5
On 9/8/2016 at 4:04 AM, slf said:

A very good idea! And of course it turns out the town had a half a million dollar emergency fund for statues so they wouldn't have gone under. I would've throttled Rose.

Rose could be really selfish and she had a sense of entitlement that reared its ugly head from time to time. For me it's more annoying when she does it because she sees herself - and others see her - as such a good two shoes, whereas Blanche is pretty upfront about her selfishness. TBH, Rose was my least favorite of the GG (though there are plenty of times when I like her).

Rose is my least favorite for the exact reasons you mentioned. Plus, her over the top competitiveness always pissed me off. I'm a competitive person (I have been known to quit board games because I am losing lol) but Rose was always downright MEAN about it.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, langway said:

Rose is my least favorite for the exact reasons you mentioned. Plus, her over the top competitiveness always pissed me off. I'm a competitive person (I have been known to quit board games because I am losing lol) but Rose was always downright MEAN about it.

That's when Rose would whip out the last names. "I'm going to beat you, DEVEREAUX!" 

Edited by Miss Chevious
Forgot a punctuation mark, oopsie!
  • Love 1

I feel kind of bad for mentioning so much of what I dislike about Rose because there are things about her that I like. I loved her on-stage meltdown during Henny Penny when she told the kids there were monsters under their beds. It's horrible but I laugh every time. I also loved when that little girl was holding Rose's teddy bear hostage so Rose snatched her bear back and shoved the girl out of the house. That one's probably in my top ten favorite TGG moments, actually.

Edited by slf
  • Love 6

Overall Rose was probably my least favorite too, but only because there statistically has to be a lesser-favorite. They all had spectacular moments. I loved Rose's delivery of her St. Olaf stories. "Tiny little ginsu knives!" "To this day, every time I pass an ice cream parlour or tackle shop, I blush." "I don't know WHY I raised my hand." Etc. etc. :)

• Love 5

I cannot believe it has been that long. I absolutely love this show.

The episode where Max and Sophia get married was on the other day. I paused it and pointed to the Elvis impersonators and said to my husband: "one of those guys is Quentin Tarantino, find him." He did.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:40 PM, slf said:

Blanche tends to be more self-centered about the small, everyday stuff but she always comes through, especially when it really matters. I remember the episode when Rose thought she might have AIDS and Rose was lashing out (understandably); it's tough to take that kind of harshness but Blanche was endlessly supportive and gently put Rose in her place when she said Blanche should have AIDS instead. Or the way she forgave Rose, Dorothy, and Sophia when they all turned on her after that politician said he had an affair with her? I thought she would've been entirely justified to evict them.

Blanche is often called 'the bitch' or 'the selfish one' but she actually supported her friends through and forgave them for some pretty rough stuff.

I liked that Blanche was selfish, vain, and man crazy while also being a supportive friend because it's much more realistic when a character has flaws than it is for them to be perfect and supposedly someone who is a great, wonderful, and selfless person 24/7.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:44 PM, langway said:

I think Rose, and at times the other girls did to, suffered from the same thing that happens to a lot of sitcom characters.  The writers go overboard with certain characteristics to the point that they become caricatures.

• Love 5

Her competitive quality was really funny in the episode where she thinks she's finally going to get a charity award because her long-time adversary is dead. "Dead, dead, dead. Muffin?" "She doesn't need this on her mantle... SHE'S ON HER MANTLE!"

Rose was always my least favorite because I hate the stock dumb characters, but strangely enough many of my favorite moments are Rose-related. "Hypersexual bitch," the episode where she tells the story about how a cow got control of the house through her husband's will, when Dorothy has her go back to the beginning and she re-lives some weird farm animal race, and so on. And some of the other characters' best moments were reactions to her.

• Love 1

I could never pick a least favorite or a favorite Golden Girl! I loved them all!

I love that Dorothy hired the same temperamental wedding director for her second wedding to Stan that Sophia had for hers. Even after he called her Stretch.

• Love 6

I don't have a favorite either, maybe Blanche because she was always fully self-aware of her own failings and weaknesses, and so open and unfettered with her feelings. I loved that about her. But I love them all too, love Dorothy's sense of dignity and her deadpan humor, her interactions with Stan were always hilarious; liked Rose's love of animals and tender heart for marginalized people, and I thought her competitive streak was hilarious. Just love them all.

I liked that Blanche was selfish, vain, and man crazy while also being a supportive friend because it's much more realistic when a character has flaws than it is for them to be perfect and supposedly someone who is a great, wonderful, and selfless person 24/7.

I agree completely. I liked that the show let them all have their flaws, failings and mistakes as much as their better natures. The show was also quite consistent with these personality features.

Dorothy, Blanche and Rose are supposed to be in their fifties but seem much older than today's 50ish women.

Being a today's 50ish woman, I agree LOL, but I always assumed they were in their 60s and up. Did they ever actually say on the show?

My two closest friends and I are all single (one widowed, one divorced, one never married) and childless, and we always joke about how one day we're going to have to all live together in a TGG situation...and the thought makes us really happy!

• Love 4

Being a today's 50ish woman, I agree LOL, but I always assumed they were in their 60s and up. Did they ever actually say on the show?

Yeah, there were various references.  The episode in which everyone thinks Sophia is having a heart attack during a storm that delays the paramedics (in which it turns out, as her doctor shows up, that she just ate herself into illness), Dorothy references being "over 50" (in talking about how if Sophia dies, she'll be an orphan). 

There are other instances, too, but that one just aired tonight so it's one I'm clear on.  More specific ages may have come up when Rose was applying for the hospital job, and general age references came up many times that fans with better memories can pinpoint.  But, certainly, they are younger than we'd think looking at them now; I don't remember what I thought at the time.

Even at the time the show first aired I assumed they were older than the show actually said they were.  For one thing they were widowed or in Dorothy's case divorced after 38 years of marriage.  For some reason I thought that meant the show was telling us these women were in their 60s!  And well the name of the show was another clue.  Most women in their 50s don't really think of themselves as being in their golden years which I think most of us would take to be retirement age.  More than that though it was the way they acted and dressed.  They didn't look like the women I knew at the time who were in their 50s.  But come to think of it they didn't dress much like the women I knew who were older and heading into retirement so there ya go :).  Also with the exception of Rue weren't they all in their 60s when the show started?  No wonder most viewers would have taken them to be the ages they actually were (Estelle Getty excepted of course).

• Love 1

I think Blanche was supposed to be the youngest, and there is an ep where Dorothy retorts "You know why you feel older than 40?  Because you're over 50!" (or close to that).  So I figured Blanche was early 50s while Dorothy and Rose were upper 50s, at least at the start.  And Sophia was, of course, 80s.  That said, we know this show isn't good with continuity, look at Michael's age.  So when in an early season ep (I'm so bad with ep titles and seasons apparently!) Dorothy is referenced as being 55, I just went with it.  Just did a little google, must have been a season 1 ep, the GG wiki lists her as 55-62 for the series.

• Love 1

I wonder if it was the choice of the actresses or of the producers/writers to make Rose and Dorothy so much younger than their actual age when the show started.  Just checked and Bea Arthur and Betty White were both about 63 in 1985, and looked it, which I think is why so many viewers are confused now when the characters ages are referenced and it just doesn't sound right.  Having them be early 60s, and Blanche later into her 50s would have made so much more sense in terms of their back stories.  But I guess that never really mattered to anyone but us viewers :).

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 1

I have watching the show on Hallmark lately and there are several references to them being in their 50's. I also wonder why most of their boyfriends/dates were in their 60's and 70's. In some of the episodes Sophia's dates seem to be the same age as Dorothy's. 

I agree the name Golden Girls sounds like retirement age and their children seemed too old to belong to an early 50's woman ( course you can't go by me-I'm 55 and just  sent my son off to college a few weeks ago !)

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I have watching the show on Hallmark lately and there are several references to them being in their 50's. I also wonder why most of their boyfriends/dates were in their 60's and 70's. In some of the episodes Sophia's dates seem to be the same age as Dorothy's. 

I agree the name Golden Girls sounds like retirement age and their children seemed too old to belong to an early 50's woman ( course you can't go by me-I'm 55 and just  sent my son off to college a few weeks ago !)

The exception being Dorothy's kids, who were played by actors who were about ten years too young to play those parts.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

The exception being Dorothy's kids, who were played by actors who were about ten years too young to play those parts.

The ONE thing the writers managed to keep relatively consistent was that Dorothy and Stan were married 38 years, and they had to get married because Dorothy was pregnant. Given that, it's totally bizarre that we never saw a Zbornak offspring anywhere NEAR the age of 38 (or presumably early 40s by then.) I kind of love that Golden Girls inconsistencies are pretty much part of the legend now. :)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Aja said:

The ONE thing the writers managed to keep relatively consistent was that Dorothy and Stan were married 38 years, and they had to get married because Dorothy was pregnant. Given that, it's totally bizarre that we never saw a Zbornak offspring anywhere NEAR the age of 38 (or presumably early 40s by then.) I kind of love that Golden Girls inconsistencies are pretty much part of the legend now. :)

The problem with casting age-appropriate actors to play the kids is that the storylines involving them would have made no sense.  A 40-something Michael with a case of Peter Pan Syndrome would have made him nothing more than a pathetic clone of Stan, but a 28-year-old immature Michael would have been much easier to accept as realistic.  And a 36-year-old Kate who had been through her parents' divorce caused by her father's constant infidelity and the pain that it brought to Dorothy would have been considered damn stupid for tolerating the same thing in her own husband, much less taking him back after finding out about it, but a 26-year-old Kate would still be believably naive enough to think that she could still make the marriage work.  In other words, if the actors had been the correct ages for their characters, their characters would have been less believable because viewers would have expected them to have actually learned something from their parents' mistakes instead of stupidly repeating those same mistakes themselves.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

The problem with casting age-appropriate actors to play the kids is that the storylines involving them would have made no sense.  A 40-something Michael with a case of Peter Pan Syndrome would have made him nothing more than a pathetic clone of Stan, but a 28-year-old immature Michael would have been much easier to accept as realistic.  And a 36-year-old Kate who had been through her parents' divorce caused by her father's constant infidelity and the pain that it brought to Dorothy would have been considered damn stupid for tolerating the same thing in her own husband, much less taking him back after finding out about it, but a 26-year-old Kate would still be believably naive enough to think that she could still make the marriage work.  In other words, if the actors had been the correct ages for their characters, their characters would have been less believable because viewers would have expected them to have actually learned something from their parents' mistakes instead of stupidly repeating those same mistakes themselves.

Yeah, I agree that making the kids age-appropriate for those story lines would have made no sense (especially the one where everyone was shocked because Michael was marrying a 40 year-old woman, lol.) But then I have to wonder, why not create arcs and story lines that would be age appropriate? A 40 year-old mini-Stan always hounding Dorothy and Sophia for handouts or always coming up with another hair-brained moneymaking scheme could have made for some funny episodes. I know the writers could not have possibly anticipated that 30 years later there would be internet forums where people like me dissect every single inconsistency, but still! One of my big nerd fantasies is to be able to sit down with the writers and ask about this. Why was Dorothy and Stan's 38 years of marriage always consistent, as were the names and genders and number of their children, but the ages were so off? Blanche had a ton of kids mentioned in this episode or that, even though the only one we saw was Rebecca (Biff, Doug, Skippy who has asthma, Janet, etc.) and Rose's family was all over the place, very little inconsistency whatsoever. Then Sophia only had one living relative, her sister Angela, who transitioned into Uncle Angelo at some point. Don't even get me started on Miles being a college professor, a widower with a grown daughter in one episode and then in the Witness Protection Program in another episode. Most sitcoms from the 70s and 80s don't pay as close attention to continuity as they do now, but Golden Girls is definitely special in that department!

1 minute ago, aquarian1 said:

Or they could have written different story lines with age appropriate kids. :-)

That said, I just love this show, warts and all!

Dangit, Aquarian1, you got there before me and said the same thing in approximately 10000 less words. :D

• Love 3

A few years ago I was on a cruise with a few women friends, all of us around 60 years old.  A comedian on the ship referred to us as "The Golden Girls," which I thought was funny.  A couple of the other women, however, were insulted.  When I pointed out to them that we were around the same age as the characters on the show, they were stunned.  Those women were old -- and we weren't!!!  Still makes me laugh.  I can't remember the show ever saying anyone's exact age except Sophia.  There were birthdays and plenty of references to aging, but no definitive ages mentioned.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, camom said:

A few years ago I was on a cruise with a few women friends, all of us around 60 years old.  A comedian on the ship referred to us as "The Golden Girls," which I thought was funny.  A couple of the other women, however, were insulted.  When I pointed out to them that we were around the same age as the characters on the show, they were stunned.  Those women were old -- and we weren't!!!  Still makes me laugh.  I can't remember the show ever saying anyone's exact age except Sophia.  There were birthdays and plenty of references to aging, but no definitive ages mentioned.

Actually, I think Dorothy did once remind Sophia that she (Dorothy) was 60.

20 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I watched one two nights ago when Dorothy said she was 55. Which doesn't quite match up with being married 38 years unless she was married at a very young age!

She was.  She got pregnant when she was still in high school, remember?

10 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

She was.  She got pregnant when she was still in high school, remember?

Sophia, is that you? :)

3 hours ago, Aja said:

Blanche had a ton of kids mentioned in this episode or that, even though the only one we saw was Rebecca (Biff, Doug, Skippy who has asthma, Janet, etc.)

Minor nitpick, but I'm pretty sure it was Janet who appeared in the episode where Blanche got religion following Rose's heart attack.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Sophia, is that you? :)

Minor nitpick, but I'm pretty sure it was Janet who appeared in the episode where Blanche got religion following Rose's heart attack.

It was.  She and Rose's daughter Kirsten bonded fairly quickly after Kirsten finally understood that Blanche, Dorothy and Sophia were every bit as much "family" to Rose as Kirsten herself was.

• Love 2

I know TGG is not one to bring back characters, but I really wish that instead of Dorothy ending up with Mr. Magoo, that the cop from the George Clooney episode had come back, said he was retired now, and they got married. He was always my favorite love interest for Dorothy on the show.

• Love 14

He was always my favorite love interest for Dorothy on the show.

Oh yes!!! Totally agree, they were a perfect match!! He was just right for her and quite sexy in his way.

I also always hoped Blanche would get back with the dreamy caterer dude. They kept hauling Miles up for Rose (remember the Cheeseman episode?). So I don't get why they couldn't recycle some of the other girls' flames. And while they're at it let Sophia have Mr Toshiro!

Edited by Marsupial
Spelling
  • Love 2

Ugh, I HATED caterer dude. He wanted to propose after less than two weeks of dating (not unique to the Girls' love lives, but still). Dial down the thirst, man! Plus I thought Blanche had a point about their lack of long-term compatibility, and I hated that Dorothy and Rose were so down on her for it. She never said a word against Jake, she just didn't mesh with him. 

If we're gonna have the Girls end up with recycled flames Blanche should've been with the debonair guy who was blind. 

Ditto Dorothy with Officer Al. 

I have no strong feelings about any of Sophia's love interests so sure, Mr. Toshiro it is. 

Rose can end up single because I can't think of a one-off guy of hers that I liked but I absolutely HATED Miles. 

• Love 2