Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

I think I see it as a matter of degrees. On one hand, you have someone like Samantha from Sex and the City, who has lots of sex just because she enjoys sex. And on the other hand, you have someone like Lucy, who was having lots of sex because she wanted validation.

I'd say Blanche is somewhere in the middle of them. She definitely enjoys sex, and a lot of her promiscuity is based on that - but she's also very insecure. She was ready to sleep with Ham Lushbaugh just to prove to herself that she was sexy enough to land him.

So while I think Blanche is less than a perfect model of someone who has lots of sex for the right reasons, there's also a big, big difference between her and Lucy.

• Love 3

I was surprised to see quite a bit of GG merchandise out there. In addition to the creepy candles, there are necklaces, earrings, cosmetic bags and of course T-shirts. It wasn't until I read the above post about the candles that I'd even thought to check for such a thing.

So now I'm the proud owner of an "I'd rather be watching the Golden Girls" t-shirt.

• Love 5

Watching "Sophia's Wedding" and it always struck me as odd that, among Dorothy's reservations, nobody points out that Max's wife - and Sophia's alleged best friend - had just died, like the week before.

• Love 2

Is is customary to get rid of a loved one's possessions right away after a death?  I've seen this with Mammie Watkins and on the Facts of Life when Natalie's father dies.  Granted, Blanche had some time but I don't see why "it has to be done" as Dorothy said.  Some people are more sentimental than others, or need more time.

The short answer?  Writers.

The long answer:  I think it depends.  When my great-grandmother died, my grandma inherited all of the contents of her house.  So in that case, some paring down had to be done almost immediately because there simply wasn't room for all the stuff.  On the other hand, a friend of mine lost his grandparents over a year ago.  The executor of the will has slowly been inviting family and friends over to take objects that were meaningful to them, and when the house is emptied they'll get it ready to sell.

Who the heck knows what was going on in Blanche's situation.  I would assume that she didn't inherit everything from the house since she had a stepmother, three siblings, and their children who I'm guessing would all share in the estate.  Plus, she would have to deal with the expense and hassle of trucking the stuff from Atlanta to Miami, so I doubt she would have taken more items than she wanted or than were willed to her.  (My guess is that they were willed.  They didn't seem to be as special and meaningful to her as if she'd chosen them herself.)

IMDb tells me that Mammy Watkins showed up in Season 6, episode 5.  Big Daddy died in Season 5, episode 11 (out of 26).  Considering that single episodes can span months (Rose going to rehab, for example), it's likely that a good deal of time had passed between his death and the Girls sorting through his possessions.  Though the stuff certainly hadn't been out on the lanai all that time, so when it arrived and how/why is still a mystery.

And now I'm going to go get a life...

Honestly, I really do know the words to the theme song by heart:

And if you threw a party,
invited everyone you knew.
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
and the card attached would say,
thank you for being a friend.

HOWEVER,

I simply cannot sing along with it when the show is coming on without erroneously singing the words "and the heart attack would say..."

• Love 6

Has anyone been watching the Empty Nest reruns on the new network, Laff? I was toying with the idea of creating its own official forum if there'll be an audience for it. If not, I'm not opposed to creating a thread in the GG forum since it was a spinoff show. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Love 2

This list has a lot of my least favorite rated best. I hate The Case of the Libertine Belle, although the first part, before Blanche is cruelly terrorized into believing she is a murder suspect, is okay. I also don't find the two episode arc where Dorothy has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to be at all funny and it doesn't rate highly with me. Same with the Trudy episode, which I find plain stupid. I do love the Henny Penny episode. And I like the Frieda Claxton episode. But the other eight out of the top ten are among my least favorite and I think, least funny, episodes. But no dispute with that horrible Empty Nest episode certainly deserving the worst ever episode award.

Has anyone been watching the Empty Nest reruns on the new network, Laff? I was toying with the idea of creating its own official forum if there'll be an audience for it. If not, I'm not opposed to creating a thread in the GG forum since it was a spinoff show. Anyone have any suggestions?

I wouldn't mind discussing here. And perhaps we could have a thread for the Golden Palace in here, as well? I'm one of the few people who thought Golden Palace had its moment.

Hi All -

I cannot believe this is my first time on this board!

My favorite moment (or one of) is when Rose is performing at the telethon and she begins playing the piano and singing a song titled, I Can't Believe I Grew A Hair There.  Just genius.

• Love 2

I can't remember which episode it was but Blanche was reading a comic strip and laughing at Marmaduke or Garfield I forgot which one she was reading but she told Dorothy that Garfield/Marmaduke was her favorite comic strip next to Apartment 3G and Dorothy said she hasn't read Apartment 3G in years and Blanche said she'll catch Dorothy up and just says "it's later that same day". Does that mean that the comic was cancelled, was no longer written for, I really didn't get that joke as the audience was laughing. I never heard of Apartment 3G comics in the newspaper I'm familiar with were Family Circle, Marmaduke, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, Peanuts, Cathy, For Better For Worse, Andy Capp, and a prehistoric one I can't remember the name.

Edited by ShadowSixx

I can't remember which episode it was but Blanche was reading a comic strip and laughing at Marmaduke or Garfield I forgot which one she was reading but she told Dorothy that Garfield/Marmaduke was her favorite comic strip next to Apartment 3G and Dorothy said she hasn't read Apartment 3G in years and Blanche said she'll catch Dorothy up and just says "it's later that same day". Does that mean that the comic was cancelled, was no longer written for, I really didn't get that joke as the audience was laughing. I never heard of Apartment 3G comics in the newspaper I'm familiar with were Family Circle, Marmaduke, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, Peanuts, Cathy, For Better For Worse, Andy Capp, and a prehistoric one I can't remember the name.

Apartment 3G was one of those "adult" soap-opera style comic strips in the same vein as Mary Worth, Judge Parker, and Brenda Starr that were popular years ago. The joke is that as is the case with soap operas on television, the plot tended to move at a glacial pace, so the same storyline would continue for months on end.  Thus, Dorothy could have picked right up from where she left off with Apartment 3G despite not having read it in years because the plot from the last storyline she read would have only advanced by a few hours in strip time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartment_3-G

Coincidentally, the strip just ended its 54-year run last month, with the final strip running on November 22, 2015.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4

Yeah, serialized strips like that can't move along at a zippy pace. Especially with only 3 or 4 panels per day...and the first panel usually recaps the previous day's action!                                                                   

• Love 1

Did anyone see that the McKinley Lighthouse was mentioned on the show Telenovela this week? There was a hurricane and the news mentioned it had been destroyed - again! The show is set in Miami, so I thought that was a cool nod to out beloved GGs.

Edited by xander874
  • Love 1

I sure have! I went to a job interview and upon my arrival the receptionist asked to see my drivers license. I didn't want to be judged as uncooperative so I handed it over. But at that point, I knew I'd never get that job.

That happened a few times afterwards but I wasn't as surprised by it as I was that first time.

Just another not-so-sneaky way for an employer to find out how old you are.

I never did get a full time job again. All I was able to get were two not even part-time jobs. I work on an "as needed" basis, could be 10 days in a row then nothing for several weeks or months. No steady income and of course no benefits. My life changed dramatically. Now counting the days till I'm eligible for Social Security.

Watching "Strange Bedfellows" right now and I've never understood why Blanche and Gil seeing each other would have been such a scandal. They even referred to it as an affair. They never mentioned it, so I assume he wasn't married, and neither was Blanche, so what was the problem?

Watching "Strange Bedfellows" right now and I've never understood why Blanche and Gil seeing each other would have been such a scandal. They even referred to it as an affair. They never mentioned it, so I assume he wasn't married, and neither was Blanche, so what was the problem?

He was married. It's super-easy to miss, though, because IIRC it's only mentioned once, briefly. (One of the girls says something like, "We're talking about a married man.")

I like the episode, but that plotline didn't seem very well thought out. It seemed like they threw in a reference to his marriage to explain why it was a scandal...and then ignored it, because he'd have to be a huge asshat to do that to his wife.

I'm watching "Fiddler on the Ropes" and I don't know why it's never bothered me till now, but I really hate the way that Pepe played the race card on the girls. They didn't just assume he was a poor Cuban boxer who didn't speak English, they didn't even know him, all they knew is what he led them to believe.

Honestly, I really do know the words to the theme song by heart:

HOWEVER,

I simply cannot sing along with it when the show is coming on without erroneously singing the words "and the heart attack would say..."

OMG - I thought that for years and it made no sense!

Today, on TV Land, they showed the special episode where Sofia meets a man who has Alzheimer's, though she doesn't know it at first.  It was a sad episode on more than one level, considering Estelle Getty ended up dying from Dementia.  The subplot about Rose's cherished teddy bear ending up in the hands of a rather evil girl scout lightened things a little, but not a whole lot.  Hindsight can be a hell of a thing.

• Love 1

Today, on TV Land, they showed the special episode where Sofia meets a man who has Alzheimer's, though she doesn't know it at first.  It was a sad episode on more than one level, considering Estelle Getty ended up dying from Dementia.  The subplot about Rose's cherished teddy bear ending up in the hands of a rather evil girl scout lightened things a little, but not a whole lot.  Hindsight can be a hell of a thing.

Even more creepy foreshadowing happens in the episode "Sophia's Choice", during the end scene when they're talking about taking care of each other and Rose (of all people) asks what happens when there's only one of them left, they're sitting in the order in which the actresses would die in real life.

• Love 7
WhitneyWhit, on 16 Mar 2016 - 8:54 PM, said:

Even more creepy foreshadowing happens in the episode "Sophia's Choice", during the end scene when they're talking about taking care of each other and Rose (of all people) asks what happens when there's only one of them left, they're sitting in the order in which the actresses would die in real life.

That is creepy.  Like the universe being ironic or something.

Yeah, Roseanne was one of the few shows in which the characters routinely wore clothes we'd already seen (and we saw Darlene in clothes her older sister Becky had worn, which was another nice touch).  Usually it's a steady stream of new outfits, even among characters talking about how money is tight.

Rose would have had no trouble storing a large wardrobe, with how freakin' big her bedroom is.  Maybe everyone else followed the "bring in one new piece, get rid of one old piece" method.

Did anybody else ever wonder about where the girls put all of their clothes? Occasionally someone would re-wear an outfit, but not often. Usually it was something never seen before.

They would've needed closets the size of Montana to hold their wardrobes. Especially Blanche.

Come to think of it, I do remember a few recycled outfits. Rose had that sleeveless green sweater/sweater vest that she wore a few times (it's the one she wore in the final scene of the final episode), and I also remember a belted long sleeved blue dress (with a collar) she might have worn a few times as well.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Come to think of it, I do remember a few recycled outfits. Rose had that sleeveless green sweater/sweater vest that she wore a few times (it's the one she wore in the final scene of the final episode), and I also remember a belted long sleeved blue dress (with a collar) she might have worn a few times as well.

me too, I remember the blue dress a few times and thinking "oh thats sort of cool that they actually re-wear things...like normal folk!"

• Love 1
On 4/4/2016 at 3:15 PM, ButterQueen said:

I loved how many pajama sets they wore.

I especially loved one of Blanche's robes that she wore a lot.  I called it her Neapolitan ice cream robe because it was brown and pink.

• Love 1

Question:
So in the opening credits (of the reruns on Hallmark), there's a shot of the girls on the couch and Blanche is on the right in a red outfit, and she pulls up her arm into her sleeve -- anyone know what episode that's from?