Type keyword(s) to search

Vice Principals - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The fight between Gamby and Russell was awesome and hilarious.  The rest of the episode was pretty damn good too and funny.  I'm thinking more and more it was Abbott who was the shooter.

Snodgrass is just as deranged as Gamby considering that she didn't go running when he said he had helped burn down Dr. Brown's house.  Speaking of Belinda, I really hope she turns up again in the season finale.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This show is so ridiculous, but I wish it was grounded more in reality. Principals can't fire teachers on a whim and no way Gamby would be allowed back in that school after attacking Lee. What happened to the superintendent and where is the school board.?  I think the state would've taken that school over by now.

• Love 1

I've always taken this series with a grain of salt.  Nobody could act as abusive as Gamby does without consequences, whether it be job-related, legal or just being punched out.  Lee couldn't have fire teachers a few weeks ago because of tenure.  The show is what it is.

• Love 4

The only reason I can think of why the mother in law would do it is to frame Lee. She hates Lee more than anyone.

But, most likely it is looking like crazy Abbott is the shooter. That last scene of her watching Snodgrass and Gamby dancing was intense.

I almost feel bad for Russell. He is a D-bag, a completely rotten person, no morals, probably a lost cause. But I don’t think he shot Gamby

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 10:05 PM, thuganomics85 said:

That said, I noticed Russell still never said that he was the shooter, so I'm still thinking this is all a fake-out.  The final shot of Abbott glaring at Gamby and Snodgrass dancing is pretty suspicious, although she would be kind of obvious as well.

I'm sticking with Gail as the shooter. Last season, he basically pushed her aside for Snodgrass, and basically the same thing just happened. 

• Love 1
On 10/16/2017 at 1:55 PM, Ottis said:

I have struggled throughout VP with why Christine is with Lee. At first I thought maybe it was so he could make her a citizen, and help bring her mom over. But Christine has done very well for herself, and with her career choice I don't think she would need Lee.

Why would you assume that she needed him to become a citizen? Plenty of people with Asian relatives are born in the United States. Even if you emigrate to the United States, you can become a naturalized citizen without marrying an American.

• Love 1

I think it's Abbot who shot Gamby. The shooter had a ponytail and she cut her hair. Also she showed up during spring break really hating Russell and could have planted the gun and mask. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/8/2017 at 3:57 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Why would you assume that she needed him to become a citizen? Plenty of people with Asian relatives are born in the United States. Even if you emigrate to the United States, you can become a naturalized citizen without marrying an American.

Because of the evidence we were given. Christine had a clearly first generation immigrant mother. Christine went to university in the US. She could easily have been a foreign student who married to get citizenship and bring family over. Happens all the time. As I said, that was my initial thought. Then, as I posted, given her career i thought she wouldn't need to marry for that. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Ottis said:

Because of the evidence we were given. Christine had a clearly first generation immigrant mother. Christine went to university in the US. She could easily have been a foreign student who married to get citizenship and bring family over. Happens all the time. As I said, that was my initial thought. Then, as I posted, given her career i thought she wouldn't need to marry for that. 

The fact that Christine’s mother speaks Korean to her doesn’t mean that Christine wasn’t born in America. I know many people whose parents emigrated (and from many different countries - Mexico, Scotland, Ivory Coast, Canada, Armenia, Poland, and the Philippines to name just a few) and then had children who are American citizens because they were born here.

Assuming that Christine was not born in America is a pretty big assumption to make based solely upon the fact that her mother speaks Korean to her. Some of these parents speak their native language at home because they want their kids to maintain that link to their culture. Some of them speak their native language at home because it’s easier to express themselves in their first language. Some of them speak their native language because they had a stroke and have lost some of their language skills.

Sure, Christine “could have easily been a foreign student who married to get citizenship and bring family over,” but she could have just as easily been born in America. The fact that she has an American accent would seem to indicate that she was either born here or came here when she was very young. If it’s the latter, she could have become a citizen without marrying anyone. As long as one of her parents became a naturalized citizen before Christine turned 18, she would become a citizen.

Under current law, children under 18 automatically acquire U.S. citizenship if three requirements are met.

The child must have U.S. lawful permanent resident status (“green card” holder).

At least one parent must be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization.

The child must be residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of a USC parent.

In this situation, once all three requirements are met, U.S. citizenship is automatically conferred upon the child/ren by operation of law without the need to file a specific application requesting U.S. citizenship. 

• Love 2

I think when they did the episode where Christine went berserk that it would have come up she only married Lee for the green card. If that was the case, it begs the question why she'd stay with him for 20 years. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The fact that Christine’s mother speaks Korean to her doesn’t mean that Christine wasn’t born in America. I know many people whose parents emigrated (and from many different countries - Mexico, Scotland, Ivory Coast, Canada, Armenia, Poland, and the Philippines to name just a few) and then had children who are American citizens because they were born here.

Yes, that's one possibility. As is the scenario I outlined, twice now. Why are we talking about this? 

Assuming that Christine was not born in America is a pretty big assumption to make based solely upon the fact that her mother speaks Korean to her.

It's no bigger than your assumptions. In fact, based on the fact that we never see her mother speak English even to Lee, who as far as we can tell isn't Korean (I hope I said that right, geez) and who speaks only English, I'd say her mother doesn't speak English because she can't, not because she is trying to keep the language alive in the home (which has no children, BTW) or some such. I could be wrong. She could be really, really stubborn. Or she does it to irk Lee. Or it's an artistic choice by the director. All are possibilities.

Sure, Christine “could have easily been a foreign student who married to get citizenship and bring family over,” but she could have just as easily been born in America.

Yes. Yes, she could. As I noted.

The fact that she has an American accent would seem to indicate that she was either born here or came here when she was very young. If it’s the latter, she could have become a citizen without marrying anyone. As long as one of her parents became a naturalized citizen before Christine turned 18, she would become a citizen.

Or it could mean she was very good at learning English when she came here. Or it could mean she learned English abroad from someone with an American accent. What's your point?

I have a close friend who married a Vietnamese woman, and she came to the US with the hope she could bring family members over in time. She still struggles with English, years later. She brought her then 5yo son soon after (she had him out of wedlock and the father fled, making her less attractive to men/families in her town), who is now 18 and speaks almost flawless American English. And she has brought a sister over as well, and she would like to bring over her mother. As I said before, it happens. Unless you think it doesn't happen, I'm not sure why you are listing every possibility in response to my post that said I first considered one thing, and then thought probably not.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

Happy to.

So did Lee actually acknowledge he shot Gamby? I was waiting for definitive acknowledgement, and the dialogue seemed to skip over that to Lee getting upset that Gamby would think he shot him. Lee didn't deny it, but that doesn't mean he did it, does it?

Dayshawn or whoever had the blood on his shoes ?. 

I regret wasting my time on this series. Gamby is a fat disgusting 90s throwback. I just cannot believe that any of the women on the show who’ve supposed to have fucked him would ever have done that. Russell is the creepiest man alive.

I don’t know what the fuck is normal in this show’s universe. Russell should be dead after being severely beaten and thrown through about 5 windows. Gamby should be in custody. The school cafeteria shouldn’t be better staffed than a Denny’s. 

Well it was a fun ride.

i guess all these characters are a little psycho but also have reservoirs of decency, so they all get happy endings.

Can't wait for the next show McBride does.

• Love 4

Ha. That was good. Abbott was getting crazier each time we saw her.

I loved what Russell said when he was laying on the floor. “I know what we did was wrong, but I liked it, it was fun”

This whole show was wrong. It made me like 2 horrible human beings. 

But I liked it. It was fun.

so much went on. I will watch it again tomorrow and I have more to say.

• Love 2

And so it ends!

Definitely not too surprised that Abbott ended up being the shooter after-all and while I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't someone more unexpected, it's hard to complain too much at watching Edi Patterson dial up the craziness even higher, which is really saying something.  I thought nothing would top the brawl between her and Snodgrass, but when she unleashed Chekov's tiger, I knew Abbott was going to go down as one of my favorite psychos of all time.  Really hope to see Edi Patterson in other things going forward.

Glad they were able to work in a final Belinda appearance.  I like how the scene showed that Russell was truly sincere with his apology and owning up to being an untrustworthy asshole, but she didn't forgive him for it, nor should she after what they did to her.  I'm glad she at least seems to finding success at a private school.

Surprised, but actually kind of glad that everyone got happy endings, despite the two leads really being horrible people.  I also like that it wasn't completely what they wanted, but enough to be happy.  Gamby didn't become the principal of the high school (go Nash!), but of the middle school instead.  Russell's now the regional manager of a boutique, which really is something he's going to love.  It even sounds like Gamby is on better terms with his daughter and Gale/Ray.

I'm going to guess Gamby and Snodgrass will be permanent (really, after everything that happened, I think they'll stick together no matter what), but I love that the big "I love you" exchange was between Gamby and Russell.  Those two crazies really do seem to be tailor-made for one another.  To keep things Walton Goggins, they almost remind me of the Raylan/Boyd relationship on Justified, where they almost can't stand each other half of the time, but they have some kind of bond that keeps them coming back to one another.

While I'm a little sad that it's done for good, I'm also kind of happy because I rather it finish now, before it looses its luster.  This does strike me as a kind of show that could really go south if it overstays its welcome, so I'm glad they went ahead and told their story in eighteen episodes.  Thanks for Danny McBride and David Gordon Green for ride and thanks to the rest of the cast; especially Edi Patterson, Kimberly Herbert Gregory and Walton Goggins; for their hilarious performances.

• Love 4

They packed a lot into a half hour, and it was fantastic! The cast was amazing. I hate that this show is done, but it was a great ride. I love that the school had to change its mascot again--go Shamrocks!

Lee's leather glove...

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

Also liked that Belinda ended up in a great situation, career wise at least.

Gamby regrets his part in what they did to her and she didn't deserve to have her career destroyed.

But I guess they didn't want Gamby to come across poorly, because if Belinda had ended up broken, then there is no way Gamby could come off looking good.

• Love 4

I don't know, after how they built up things, I was expecting something more explosive and destructive I guess between Gamby and Lee at the end (tiger aside).  Thought they copped out a little and didn't stick the landing.  But the relationship between Gamby and Lee was always at the heart of the show and Walton Goggins continues to be the standout.

The Steve Little cameo was great.  I'm sure Gamby will end up pissing him off in short order.

Lee at the clothing store at the end was great.

Nice to see the return of Belinda though I wish she had factored into things more.

Edi Patterson did a great job playing such an unhinged person.

Shea Wingham and especially Busy Phillips were wasted on this show though.

I will miss Vice Principals, criticisms aside.

• Love 1

Is it wrong that I busted out laughing when that tiger went straight for the wrangler and proceeded to chow down?

Great seeing Stevie again. That was a nice touch by Danny McBride.

Looking forward to seeing what McBride comes up with next.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5
On 06/11/2017 at 7:33 PM, CofCinci said:

What did he do to get kicked off the gymnastics team!

Josh Duggar stuff. 

21 hours ago, ganesh said:

You do know it's meant to be an absurdist show, right?

I thought it was supposed to be comedy above all else. 

• Love 1

While I appreciate a series that has a developed beginning-middle-end, I’m going to miss the show.  It is best to have two solid, cohesive seasons than to stretch it out over seven thin, inconsistent years.

Regional manager of a clothing store seems like such a great fit for Lee.  He is able to use his knowledge, skills and abilities to the best potential.  Middle School is the best place for Gamby too.  

The ending scene between the Lee and Gamby - does that indicate that they don’t see each other regularly?  How bittersweet. 

• Love 6

A-ha. So Lee never did say he shot Gamby last episode. I thought so. It's a shame Lee didn't make that point more clearly then. Could have saved them both a lot of grief.

So Gamby shouted down the tiger?

They finished the show with all the main characters on appropriate paths. Good for Amanda, having her book published. Did Abbott think Lee had died, while she was sitting in the cop car? I loved how the one trailing cop was holding her dress train.

And BTW, if I EVER drive to my secluded home and find an ex sitting on the steps in a wedding dress? I am backing right the fuck up and driving off.

It took me a while to get this show, but I really did enjoy it. Thanks Danny, Walter and everyone behind it. I'll never be able to explain to anyone why it's a good show. I may not even try. But I liked it a lot.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ottis said:

A-ha. So Lee never did say he shot Gamby last episode. I thought so. It's a shame Lee didn't make that point more clearly then. Could have saved them both a lot of grief.

So Gamby shouted down the tiger?

They finished the show with all the main characters on appropriate paths. Good for Amanda, having her book published. Did Abbott think Lee had died, while she was sitting in the cop car? I loved how the one trailing cop was holding her dress train.

And BTW, if I EVER drive to my secluded home and find an ex sitting on the steps in a wedding dress? I am backing right the fuck up and driving off.

It took me a while to get this show, but I really did enjoy it. Thanks Danny, Walter and everyone behind it. I'll never be able to explain to anyone why it's a good show. I may not even try. But I liked it a lot.

I am a hetero female and people will probably think I'm nuts for enjoying this type of humor, but I actually think it is much better written and less crass then most people realize.  Even the minor characters were well developed which is a sign of strong writing.  I sort of knew the "who dunnit" mystery would be a let down.  Most people probably figured Abbot, because she was near Russell's car right before the discovery of the mask.  Most mysteries disappoint, but it really was a well done weird little show.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Glad they were able to work in a final Belinda appearance.  I like how the scene showed that Russell was truly sincere with his apology and owning up to being an untrustworthy asshole, but she didn't forgive him for it, nor should she after what they did to her.  I'm glad she at least seems to finding success at a private school.

Does she know they burned her house down? 

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Most people probably figured Abbot, because she was near Russell's care, right before the discovery of the mask.

I have to give myself a little pat on my back because I guessed her way before Gamby found the mask on spring break. 

• Love 3

it really was a well done weird little show.

I completely agree. Reminds me a lot of The Comeback in this way - 2 seasons were perfect.

There were so many times when I just lost it laughing at this show.  Ms. Abbott was a hell of a character.

I lost it when she released the Tiger, because of course that's what she did. While wearing a wedding dress.

Well done, folks. 

Edited by hokeypokeyFOIA
  • Love 2

I was pleased with the finale.   Imma miss Uncle LeeLee, but I was pleased to hear Danny say in an interview that he would love to work with Walton again.   So maybe Danny will encounter a bitchy store manager in his next show.

• Love 2