Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Beachfront Inn & Inlet

Unless we missed something super major I can't - for the life of me - understand why Gordon would give up on this particular hotel and not any of the others. Really? This place was more egregious than all of the other literal semen/feces laden roach motel dumpster fires? And this owner was less willing to listen and adapt than the Vienna Inn maniacs? Or any of the other garbage owners? I think this guy was kind of a schlub...no doubt. But I think he was way more redeemable than about any of the other owners. Maybe Fox makes Ramsey do one dramatic walkout a season? Just not understanding why this was the hill that Godon chose to die on...

• Love 5

If he didn't walk out of the other shit holes from this season,  I don't get why this place was so intolerable to Gordon. The Inlet owner seemed a little mentally challenged, but not certifiably cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs like the MA & WV ladies and he wasn't an insufferable bastard like the "no ice cream samples" guy.  At least Brian made some changes after Gordon left unlike so many of these incompetents who revert back to their old ways.

• Love 3

This was kind of a dud episode. The owner was either walking around constantly stoned or as Busy October said, was mentally challenged. He seemed to be unable to react to anything Gordon said. However, I also think there were way fewer problems here than in many of the other places. The rooms were very small but did not look dirty (and the room with the choking woman may have been staged). The food in the inn was obviously in need of a redo and I am surprised they didn't spend more time on cleaning the kitchen.

It looked like Gordon really only changed the menu and redid one room, so I'm thinking there was just not much content here without the dramatic walkout. Even the so called loud music could not be heard when Gordon was doing a TH in his room, then was suddenly playing loudly while he was sleeping. 

• Love 3

I think he realized the owner was a spineless, clueless moron and was doomed to fail.  I've never seen such crappy food put out on opening night ever.  

But overall yeah... a pretty dull episode.

• Love 2

Are these shown in order of filming? 

Perhaps he just had it after dealing with the other owners and he was just done. Or there was some major info left out.

No one really seemed to care. 

I would have walked out on the couple that didn't allow kids and the last woman who ran it with her absentee son, personally.

I felt uncomfortable watching Brian.  There was definitely something off about him, and my mind kept wandering during the show, trying to figure out how he came into the money to acquire a property at age 34 - uh, 33.  He wasn't mean or vindictive (at least on camera), but I agree he seemed completely divorced from reality and spineless to boot.

Looks like his younger brother kept the fish market.  Inheritance, and he bought Brian out?

• Love 3

That room makeover was pretty awesome. That huge panorama of the inlet over the bed looked great, and I loved the wood slats and the shade of blue they used for the walls. The bedding looked great too. I was also impressed with the new menu.

I agree that this guy seemed a hell of a lot more redeemable than most of the others this season, and it seemed like he was gonna be a bona fide success story for the show. He seemed to have a good attitude, at least in the beginning. He seemed eager to please/improve, as indicated by his running to fetch Gordon a beach towel and his reaction to the criticisms of the former guests, etc. He didn't seem like an asshole or a crazy person. If anything, I'd characterize him as just a slacker, and maybe a bit of a space cadet.

Which may have been Gordon's big problem in this case. Seems to me that Gordon put forth more of an effort for this guy than is typical lately, probably because he too thought this guy could really turn it around. But what he was met with was the realization that this guy really is just that much of a slacker, as well as just being hopelessly in over his head. And I suspect that cheeses Gordon off as much or more than anything... a guy who ought to be perfectly capable of running a successful business, but the only thing holding him back is his inexplicable lack of give-a-damn.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I felt uncomfortable watching Brian.  There was definitely something off about him, and my mind kept wandering during the show, trying to figure out how he came into the money to acquire a property at age 34 - uh, 33.  He wasn't mean or vindictive (at least on camera), but I agree he seemed completely divorced from reality and spineless to boot.

Looks like his younger brother kept the fish market.  Inheritance, and he bought Brian out?

I just moved a year ago from Hutchinson Island in Ft Pierce!  That hotel was only 1/2 mile away and I passed it everyday either on foot or by car!  So much fun to watch this.  Gordon must have done this after I left. Damn

The boys inherited this from their father.  I had no idea the Inlet Grill was part of that hotel.  It is a seedy joint where riff raff hang out and their parking lot never had many cars in it.  Surprising since it is right ON the beach.  The community there is small, funky and it was very cool to live on an island that is not fancy.  I loved it and I miss it, terribly. Well, not the humidity.  I moved to AZ where my sons and grandchildren live.  

No one ever ate there. It has always been a mystery why the hotel, in such a good location, was never successful and how it continued to survive with little income.  Well income from the hotel that is.  ;^)     There is little or no tourism on the island so it will never be a gold mine but certainly it would draw guests from the other 2 hotels because of the location. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Whenever Gordon asked (demanded!) something from him - "Get me a towel!"  "Go change your clothes! - Brian took off frantically running like an eager-to-please hunting dog. It's impossible to respect someone like this. He demonstrated no authority, no dignity, nothing.  The more I think about Brian the more I dislike him. Wishy-washy and useless.

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I just moved a year ago from Hutchinson Island in Ft Pierce!  That hotel was only 1/2 mile away and I passed it everyday either on foot or by car!  So much fun to watch this.  Gordon must have done this after I left. Damn

The boys inherited this from their father.  I had no idea the Inlet Grill was part of that hotel.  It is a seedy joint where riff raff hang out and their parking lot never had many cars in it.  Surprising since it is right ON the beach.  The community there is small, funky and it was very cool to live on an island that is not fancy.  I loved it and I miss it, terribly. Well, not the humidity.  I moved to AZ where my sons and grandchildren live.  

No one ever ate there. It has always been a mystery why the hotel, in such a good location, was never successful and how it continued to survive with little income.  Well income from the hotel that is.  ;^)     There is little or no tourism on the island so it will never be a gold mine but certainly it would draw guests from the other 2 hotels because of the location. 

Thanks for the personal perspective, wings!  It's so interesting to have your insight into this odd place.

Gordon visited a New Orleans restaurant, Oceana, for Kitchen Nightmares some time ago.  Mr. pig and I had "dined" there a few years prior to his filming.  Anyway, while we were eating, a couple at an adjacent table jumped up yelling that there was a huge cockroach on their table.  The waiter calmly swatted the thing with a napkin.  No big deal.  Mr. pig and I were in stitches watching the Nighmares episode.

Your post made me want to go to Ft. Pierce to check up on poor little Brian.

I think that the main issue was that Brian had such an intense desire to be liked that it overrode everything else.  He didn't want to be a 'boss', he wanted to be one of the cool kids.  I did wonder if he had a mental disability on top of being a people pleaser.  However, I also thought that as long as his brother was going to keep bailing him out he wouldn't change.  I noted that in the postscript Gordon stated that after missing the payment deadline, the brother cut him off and then Brian fired Ben the chef.  Maybe he needed some reality to sink in before he was willing to change.

• Love 1

I talked to the hotel.  They have been there for 3 years, he said.  So that is when it changed hands. He was new so didn't know the answers to all of my questions.  I wanted to ask if Brian had shaped up but I knew he would not answer that!  I think he is a stoner.  The people who used to go in an out of there were not all guests.  

They have been doing improvements steadily.  I told him I lived there as early as last year and asked about the restaurant which was not there the way it is now!  They just redid that and we didn't see its new incarnation on the show there is a picture on their website along with the room Gordon did.   I asked how long they have been serving food other than wings and bar food and he said since last year.  So I am not going crazy.  The food they show on the site is typical Ft Pierce fare.  There are only 4 good restaurants there, 2 on the Island.  Gordon once said the food in Florida is naf.  I didn't have to look that up to understand what he meant!  

• Love 1

Brian was pretty useless, but I was also surprised that Gordon gave up on him at the end.  The hotel was nice enough, and it shouldn't have been too difficult to turn the place around.  Brian seemed so passive and spineless, though!  He was completely clueless about everything, and he just stood around with his hands on his hips like he was a superhero or something.  I was waiting for Gordon to call him out on that.

Usually at the 40 minute mark, even the worst owners on this show have a miraculous turn-around in their attitudes, and Gordon's crew can start working their magic on fixing up the place.  I think Brian is so clueless, he wasn't even able to fake a turn-around for the cameras.  Ironically, I believe Brian actually WANTED to get better at his job; he just couldn't figure out how to do that.  When Brian had his staff do a group high-five, Gordon just sneered at him.  I think there was some real animosity from Gordon in this episode.

I think the story of why, as the older brother, he was out of the family business and the younger brother was supporting him would make a more interesting hour of television than this episode was.

• Love 2

Now that I watched the whole thing, I see why Ramsay gave up. He never tried to take charge of the kitchen. Or even learn what was going on in there.

• Love 2

I think Gordon gave up because he realised what a bunch of losers these people are.  They all just wanted to party and not do any work or grow up.  Kind of hopeless, really.  That last dinner service was embarrassing.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, wings707 said:

The boys inherited this from their father.  I had no idea the Inlet Grill was part of that hotel.  It is a seedy joint where riff raff hang out and their parking lot never had many cars in it.  Surprising since it is right ON the beach.  The community there is small, funky and it was very cool to live on an island that is not fancy.  I loved it and I miss it, terribly.

Good to hear that part of it. 

If they inherited from their father, I wonder if Brian got 'stuck' with this while the brother got the fresh fish place.  I think that part is kind of a big deal.  He owed his brother $30K.  If the fresh fish was successful and that brother took that and didn't have anything do with the hotel, that's not fair.  I don't remember hearing anything on that and shame on Hotel Hell for not saying.

The whole episode was off and I can't side with either.  This one of all shows needed a Part 2.  I don't think Gordon saying he is changing...blah blah blah.

They probably both own the entire thing and discussed who as going to run what.  I can see Brian saying, sure I can run the hotel and restaurant.  No problem.  He is not all there in the IQ department and he acts like a pot head. There is a lot of that going on with the slackers on that island and there are many.   A lot of cheap apartments that house idiots. 

Geez, imagine being the mayor of that place.  Not something to brag about!

I thought Brian said that he bought that place.  I might have misheard that, but I didn't hear anything about him inheriting it.  I feel like if he had inherited it, Gordon Ramsey would have made a much bigger deal about it, "you're letting down your dead dad, letting down your family legacy, blah blah blah, etc".  Gordon's not one to let a moment go where he can make his participant feel guilty and like crap.

I can see why Gordon walked out on this one. I think he believed Brian just wasn't going to "get it." And he couldn't remember something as simple as what table the mayor was sitting at, which screwed with the kitchen. If he can't get that straight, everything else would just be downhill from there. It is interesting to note though that he apparently made changes after Gordon left. I don't know if HH does a revisited episode like KN but I hope he does one this season. Would be interesting to see how this place, the Town's Inn, and the no free samples guy held up. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

I can see why Gordon walked out on this one. I think he believed Brian just wasn't going to "get it." And he couldn't remember something as simple as what table the mayor was sitting at, which screwed with the kitchen. If he can't get that straight, everything else would just be downhill from there. It is interesting to note though that he apparently made changes after Gordon left. I don't know if HH does a revisited episode like KN but I hope he does one this season. Would be interesting to see how this place, the Town's Inn, and the no free samples guy held up. 

Yes.  Yelp and tripadvisor are iffy on follow-ups.  They're mainly focused on sending you emails if you inquire about a property.  

I'm really curious about what happened to these properties once Gordon left.

I think Brian needed rehab or something. There was just something so wrong there.

At the end, I thought Brian was still going to serve that salad.

I loved when his little brother asked why Gordon was there. Lol. If he paid his brother off, I bet it was a % of the hotel and any good changes came from little bro.

• Love 1

Gambler vibe from Brian. 

Always looking for the next score, super agreeable to the dates with assurances of "I can do it. I can turn it around."

In two months, I mean 8 weeks, well, 90 days, right? So, I have 8 months, right?

He's thinking about the next big game or season. 

• Love 1
On 8/16/2016 at 0:39 PM, guilfoyleatpp said:

Gambler vibe from Brian. 

Always looking for the next score, super agreeable to the dates with assurances of "I can do it. I can turn it around."

In two months, I mean 8 weeks, well, 90 days, right? So, I have 8 months, right?

He's thinking about the next big game or season. 

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, he did seem like a gambler with the way he talks!  
I kept getting a Homer Simpson vibe from him.  It's like he's not really connected with reality and just reassures himself all the time that things are good.
Love the part when he said he would appraise himself as a "good 8" before meeting customers who have had a bad experience at his place...