Type keyword(s) to search

Season One: All Episodes

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

This is thread going to become a thread for all seasons talk? Or do we need a new thread to talk about Season one and Season two together?

Since this show is big enough and has episode topics, discussion should ideally be focused in the episode threads. People have been using the last episode as such. We don't generally recommend All Episodes Talk when we already have ep threads but we may do another seasons thread for S2.

I did a season 1 rewatch after watching season 2, since I realized I barely remembered anything outside of El having super powers and Will being lost and found. I had completely forgotten that Hopper had sold El out to access the Upside Down. I don't buy that Hopper took their word that they wouldn't hurt the kids. He knew what they did to Benny (or at least I think he suspected it) so sending the DOE to where the kids were hiding was a really shit move. 

Spoiler

And something I don't think was really addressed in season 2, even though Hopper was overcompensating to keep El hidden.

I did find it funny that approximately 8 seconds after Hopper and Joyce left, Nancy and Jonathan decided to ditch the kids to go on their own adventure. Steve Harrington would be ashamed!

And this time around I noticed that we don't actually see Dr Brenner die like we do with the other big bads. It looks like he just gets tackled by the Demogorgan and then we cut away.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I did a season 1 rewatch after watching season 2, since I realized I barely remembered anything outside of El having super powers and Will being lost and found. I had completely forgotten that Hopper had sold El out to access the Upside Down. I don't buy that Hopper took their word that they wouldn't hurt the kids. He knew what they did to Benny (or at least I think he suspected it) so sending the DOE to where the kids were hiding was a really shit move. 

Speaking of Benny, he was one of the best one and done characters I've ever seen on a show. The actor was so intensely likeable. And he was the first person to ever do right by Eleven. It was sweet how he fed her, asked questions but didn't pry too much, and went by the book in calling social services. He had real potential. I'll go one further and say that if she had to be adopted by anyone, I wouldn't have minded it being him.

His death gave some real shock value and really conveyed well how high the stakes were. Who else thought he was a main cast member when they first watched the episode? I did. Legit gasped when he was shot.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Speaking of Benny, he was one of the best one and done characters I've ever seen on a show. The actor was so intensely likeable.

I agree, which shocks me, because I hate this actor with a passion on This Is Us. 

• Love 3
On 8/19/2016 at 10:51 PM, driedfruit said:

The upside down reminded me of the Magicians. I'm wondering if the monster is an experiment that went wrong, or the parallel version of 11. 

I didn't grow up in the 80s, but did watch ET once (and cried, a lot). Loved this show regardless, though I'm very pleased I didn't have to live my life before computers. The kids and teens really didn't have a whole lot to do before things went bad. 

Didn't have a lot to do?? I grew up in the late '70s-early '80s and my parents restricted my television use quite a bit until I was 13 or so. I rode my bike everywhere, went to the library and the pool constantly, hung out with friends--I was never bored. We had plenty to occupy us.

On 8/20/2016 at 5:52 PM, Danny Franks said:

Regarding this bit. I was initially disappointed that Nancy picked Steve. It definitely felt like part of the generally downbeat ending, with her following her mother's path and choosing the acceptable, 'safe' guy over the one who she seemed to feel more for. But thinking about it, and reading some interviews with the writers and actors, it makes sense. As they said, the whole season takes place in about a week, so there's not much time for her to stop and consider her feelings about anything, let alone which guy she should date. 

I really liked Steve after he did his turnaround--he showed genuine bravery when he came back to the door. (As for the Pretty in Pink comparison someone posted--Andi "belongs" with Duckie? Seriously?! Duckie is annoying as HELL, only grows up at the end and more importantly, Andi never had anything but friend-chemistry with him. She was always gone for Blaine.

Also wanted to say how much I LOVED Hopper as a character--that actor is amazing! I was engrossed with every minute of his performance. Loved his growth from seeming small-town aging former jock and local lothario to a Man on a Mission. He was incredible.

Winona Ryder--as much as I like her personally, and I like her in some roles, but she has always had a somewhat *mannered* way about her that tales me out of her acting. In some roles she's great (anything light, and I loved her comedy stuff in Heathers and Reality Bites) but whenever she's given anything heavy or dark she tends to over-motivate it. In actor terms she "indicates" (gestures a little too much) a lot. But I will say the script wasn't doing her any favors because she rarely had a chance to play anything but Hysterical Mother. I DID love her scenes with Eleven. A beautiful change of pace, and it was lovely seeing El get some sorely-needed mothering.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
  • Love 1

As a new viewer (not done with S3 yet) it’s interesting seeing people’s early reactions to Winona Ryder’s acting choices. I loved what she was doing from the beginning. It looks like she’s having a blast with it, and in season one she is very much channeling the “hysterical mom” archetype of the 80s suburban horror stuff (think JoBeth Williams in Poltergeist, and yeah I’m sure I’m far from the first person to point it out). 

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

I really liked Steve after he did his turnaround--he showed genuine bravery when he came back to the door.

This is what I loved about Steve through all 3 seasons. He's there for his friends.

I started season 1 again last night after finishing season 3 and in this episode Steve doesn't have the head of hair he's become known for yet. But he was cute when he was trying to get Nancy to meet him later that night and she said no because she had to study. Steve told her he could come over and help her, he'd be quiet like a Ninja. Later Mike's leaving to go look for Will and sees Steve trying to shimmy up the side of the house, then when he climbs in Nancy's window he falls down gets up and says "see like a ninja." LOL!

I forgot how much I really loved this first episode and the introduction to all the characters we come to love was perfect. 

I'm going to enjoy this rewatch.

Edited by foxfreakinmulder
forgot something.
  • Love 5

One of the scenes that always makes me talk to my TV no matter how many times I watch is the scene where Hopper is searching the Byers’ shed after finding Will’s bike.  Hopper comes out frazzled, tells his deputies to put together a search party and Einstein deputy with the glasses responds with “you think we have a problem here?”  Gee, ya think??  You are searching for a missing kid, do you see said missing kid?  Then there’s a freaking problem. It drives me nuts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, ch1 said:

One of the scenes that always makes me talk to my TV no matter how many times I watch is the scene where Hopper is searching the Byers’ shed after finding Will’s bike.  Hopper comes out frazzled, tells his deputies to put together a search party and Einstein deputy with the glasses responds with “you think we have a problem here?”  Gee, ya think??  You are searching for a missing kid, do you see said missing kid?  Then there’s a freaking problem. It drives me nuts.

I think Hawkins is supposed to be a town like Mayberry, nothing bad ever happens. I understand your point, a child is missing, that's a big freaking problem. But up until that search of the shed I don't think even Hopper thought Will was actually "missing." He thought he was just hiding somewhere, he didn't even want to meet with Joyce until he had his morning coffee even though his secretary told him it was about a missing child. The deputies kind of remind me of Barney Fife.

I just finished my episode 2 rewatch and Mike is so kind to eleven. Sweet kid.

Poor Barb :-( 

• Love 3
On 7/9/2019 at 7:43 PM, kieyra said:

As a new viewer (not done with S3 yet) it’s interesting seeing people’s early reactions to Winona Ryder’s acting choices. I loved what she was doing from the beginning. It looks like she’s having a blast with it, and in season one she is very much channeling the “hysterical mom” archetype of the 80s suburban horror stuff (think JoBeth Williams in Poltergeist, and yeah I’m sure I’m far from the first person to point it out). 

I completely agree, I think Winona Ryder has been great from the jump. I've really enjoyed her performance.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I power watched the first season last night, what a wonderful series, I am not a sci fi fan at all, but this is outstanding. Terrific child actors and stories. WOW.....So glad I got bored and gave this a shot, a nice change from all the British detective shows I am addicted to. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

So glad I got bored and gave this a shot, a nice change from all the British detective shows I am addicted to. 

Completely off topic but which ones do you recommend and what channels are they on?  Now that fall/winter is coming, I'm looking for good shows to binge with the fireplace on and a blanket,

• Love 1

Doing a rewatch right now. Finished S1 last night. Spoilers for Season 4 -

Spoiler

The scenes with Hopper and his daughter in the hospital and dying hit even harder now knowing that he blamed himself for her cancer, thinking it was because of something he was exposed to in Vietnam. 😔 He also made the same comment to the random woman he was sleeping with in the first couple of episodes about wondering if he was cursed. Good callback in S4 with his discussion with the Russian guard he befriended.

• Like 2
  • Love 3