Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09. AGT Judge Cuts 2

• Start Topic

Absolutely zero shock that Sophie the Contortionist got the golden buzzer from Reba. I think she's the show's chosen one this season, I'm just not sure I see America voting her the champion in the finale. I do think she could get voted through to the finale.

I just could care less for solo singers on this show, unless they are total oddballs or sing in a style that you can't see on AI or the Voice. So this week's second African American lady singer does nothing for me, just like Ronni from last night. Kadie is maybe a little better since she's only 12, but I hated her song choice and the way she sang it tonight so I wouldn't have minded her elimination either. With country royalty Reba guest judging.....that was never going to happen.

Knew going in the little kid magician and the transgender comic were getting through regardless of if there were better dance acts. That's just how this season is going to be. Vello continues to be interestingly weird, kind of like the Mime guy from last season.

The only thing that kind of floored me was their fakeout of the little girl rapper. When they trotted out two "who the heck are they" rap acts right before she performed, I would've bet money that was a "tell" and they were propping her up to put her through to the next round. So when she wasn't standing with that group and individual rapper at the end I was genuinely surprised. If they have any kind of wildcard week I think she's a lock to at least get to perform on that, and if they straight up give the judges the power to add wildcards to the live shows.....I can easily see her being Simon's pick (or one of them)...the Rubix cube kid might get a second look too.

• Love 3
(edited)

This is my first week ever watching. I'm enjoying it--the variety of performers are  more talented and less freaky-oriented than I expected, but I don't understand putting through two mediocre singers (in terms of talent competitions) when other shows do that better and they bumped out some other more unique acts. But overall, it's a fun show.

One question, though. Is the audience always so incredibly, over-the-top annoying? They seem to cheer and give standing ovations for everything. It would be nice if they were mostly quiet and restrained, let the judges hype with words until there's something -genuinely- amazing. Screaming and standing and going wild all the time takes awa y a lot of excitement.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 5

Where the hell are all these little kid acts coming from? I can't understand why they haven't moved on to a kids got talent show. I don't like seeing these kids get put through over better acts - just because everyone is so amazed that a 12 year old can sing.

I can't stand the song "Alone". It's the song someone sings on every talent show out there. The lady who sang it didn't even sing it well.

The contortionist isn't the first to shoot an arrow with her feet. It was done on this show, already, several years ago.

I don't really get how they eliminate people. They used to eliminate people based on variety - over talent.  That always bothered me. If it came down to to two dog acts going up against each other in the final - because they were the best that year - I would like to see the two dog acts rather than eliminate one because they don't want two dog acts going up against each other in the final. Singing acts are fine. Dog acts, no way.  

I think Simon would have a more difficult time exploiting a dog act over a singer.  

• Love 6
(edited)

Moya Angelo was mediocre.  If she was on Idol or The Voice, she would have been at the bottom of the pack. 

I didn't like the kid magician for some reason.  His dad is a magician, who taught him these tricks.  It's like that dad's repertoire of tricks are amazing only because they're being done by a child. If the dad performed the same tricks, it would be boring.

I loved the baton twirler. 

the singing/magic/gymnastics couple made me cringe.

The way they ordered the acts - here's a comic we hate, here's a comic we like.  Here are some crap rap acts - now here's an amazing one!  it's like they think we needed the contrast to figure out what we're supposed to like. 

The transgender comic bothered me because she isn't all that old - she's making jokes like she's 90.  Death, funerals, I'm so old, I'm fat, I walk with a cane, cremation, death, etc.   Nothing she said was funny.  Maybe it's me, because she's only a little bit older than me, and I sure don't see myself as elderly and near death. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5

How did the Rubik's cube magician not go through? Weird belly guy is different but I loved the Rubik's cube magic.

The wacky duo, the lady singing "I Need a Hero" and the guy she was with. I don't remember seeing them during auditions but how the hell did they get put through in the first place?

What happened to chair stacking guy? He was phenomenal and that whole trampoline thing was just bizarre.

I find myself ff'd through ALL of the singers. I just don't give a hoot.

• Love 9

I did like Katie Lynn, she sounds like Patsy Cline to me. I didn't like the adult female vocalist (and since one of my husbands favorite bands is Heart - he was pissed that she butchered that song). I think that the kid magician is cute - however I figured out the switch in about 2 seconds. The rubics cube guy was amazing! I have no idea how he did that. I also see that he has some versatility in his act incorporating the card into the trick. I believe that he was robbed. I tend to judge the acts by 1. would I be willing to watch this for an hour? and 2. would I pay to watch this for an hour? Most of these acts I would be bored with after about 10 minutes and I sure as hell wouldn't pay for the privilege.

• Love 5

I missed the beginning of Rubic's cube guy act, but I thought the end was pretty obviously a typical sleight-of-hand trick. Cool set-up with the card, (although I agreed with Howie the showmanship could have been better), but really obvious how he did it.  I was glad for that reason he didn't go through.

• Love 1

Kid magician AGAIN?!?  Please.

I'm a Julia fan because when she was first on, she seemed sort of hesitant when she questioned whether the judges were really interested in her background and timeline and so forth.  Maybe I'm totally naïve, but I didn't get the sense she was determined to shoehorn her transgender status into her story or die trying.

Also, she didn't seem to have anyone there to congratulate her on her good news, except Nick Cannon.  C'mere, Julia, bring your Doris Day pageboy over here, I'll hug you.

Otherwise, ye gads, little boys doing splits, fat guys jumping higher than you'd think they could, people swinging around by their teeth while their tendons scream in pain. . . 

Somewhere, Ted Mack is smiling.

• Love 2

The judges didn't let Rubik's Cube Guy through and he cried. Not cool, judges. (Because I was enjoying his act, not because people should be put through to stop them from crying.)

And my baton twirler is out too. Not that he would have lasted beyond another round, but I would rather have watched him than many of the acts that did make it.

I didn't care for the kid magician. The idea of him pulling dancing girls out of of a box squicked me a little bit regardless of the punchline being that it was his sister that they proceeded to strip.

I'm okay with Julia going through, but a comedy routine entirely reliant on "I'm old!!" is no funnier than a comedy routine entirely reliant on "I'm a kid!!" That was an awfully convenient setup... one comedian makes unfunny cheating jokes about how women and dessert are the same, and is followed by a transgender comic! What are the odds?

Bored by the singers. Stunned they didn't let the little rapper through... I'm sure she'll be getting a wildcard that should go to the Rubik's Cube act.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

I didn't care for the kid magician. The idea of him pulling dancing girls out of of a box squicked me a little bit regardless of the punchline being that it was his sister that they proceeded to strip.

This! It was squicky! I was squicked! When they started pulling the clothes off 'A CHILD' the squick factor went to eleven. Even Simon looked momentarily horrified. I was certainly not expecting that switcheroo though so that was pretty cool. But the squick factor reigned in this act.

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 5

Blergh.  The only two acts from this episode that made me smile, and who seemed "fresh",  were the Rubik's cube guy and R.L. Bell, who were both cut.  I actively dislike Julia's "I'm old" schtik.  The kid magician was a snooze fest of nothing special.  The Broadway singer, Moya Angela, was mediocre to me.  She probably wouldn't have made it to the finals on The Voice or American Idol.  I like Vella because he's a weirdo, but not because he's done anything jaw-dropping.  The contortionist girl, Sofie, is lovely to watch, but I've seen it before, and better.  Twelve-year-old country singer, Kadie Lynn, is fine, but only because she's a kid...as an adult, she'd be nothing spectacular.  I enjoyed watching the knife-throwing couple because they're both so prettyful, but it's an act I've seen a hundred times before.  

I'm bored, y'all. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Panopticon said:

The judges didn't let Rubik's Cube Guy through and he cried. Not cool, judges. (Because I was enjoying his act, not because people should be put through to stop them from crying.)

And my baton twirler is out too. Not that he would have lasted beyond another round, but I would rather have watched him than many of the acts that did make it.

Yeah, I liked those two acts as well.

And the comedian who bombed - I don't know, it almost seemed like he was SUPPOSED to bomb.   Doesn't every comic know that if a joke falls flat, if nobody laughs - you don't just keep explaining it?   Joking about "noises women make when eating dessert"  seems like he was almost trying to fail.  I just wonder if it was set up so that the Transgender comic whose name I can't remember was supposed to look good by contrast. 

• Love 4

Oh man! What a messed up selection from the judges.

First of all I might be in the minority on this but the trans comedian was picked because she is transgender....PERIOD! She was not better in entertainment value than the Rubik's Cube guy. Geesh! WTH?

I agree with the post about Moya. She sang another song you don't put your own flavor on it. "Alone" is a great song from Heart. Leave it alone!!

I thought the muscle singer had a better voice than Moya.

I just don't get why the guy who stood on all those chairs in the auditions did a 360? A trampoline act? What's going on here?

Katie Lynn is one of the few kids that deserved making it through IMO.

I still want to know what are all these "singing shows" people keep mentioning? I know the Voice is still going on but that's the only one I can think of.

Oh yeah, another thing about Moya. When she said about her mother passing away I thought there is no way she's not going through! I was right.

Until next time....

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Padma said:

I missed the beginning of Rubic's cube guy act, but I thought the end was pretty obviously a typical sleight-of-hand trick. Cool set-up with the card, (although I agreed with Howie the showmanship could have been better), but really obvious how he did it.  I was glad for that reason he didn't go through.

Wow! Then you're awesome! I don't know how he did that trick. Can you tell us? He never touched the cube when he tore the piece from the card. I actually saw it again and I'm still stumped!

• Love 3

I, too, am hoping Rubik's cube guy makes it back in on a wild card. I was really stunned how many HORRIBLE acts there were! Tuesday it seemed everyone had stepped up their game.  But so many of last night's were just awful.  Maybe they were all from one bad night of initial auditions? (Yikes - if they were the best imagine who went home?!)

The only thing I can figure about (not) chair-balancing guy is that since he really is a one-trick pony, he tried to come up with something, anything different. He was correct - not much you can do once you've balanced on a zillion chairs.

Gold buzzer girl - she even said she had seen the trick on the internet and learned how to do it. So not unique. I do appreciate that the incorporates several skills, but not my cup of tea. And last night's was very similar to the previous, with the exception of the fire.

Enough with sob stories! Talent, or no talent. We could also predict in our house who was going through, based on several stories.  It's almost like  "Chopped - AGT Edition!"

• Love 4

One other thing....I hope there aren't any "wild cards". It just makes the show drag on. The judges act that this was it. No more chances. Let's get to the live shows already!!

Well, if you take 14 more from the two shows next week you'd end up with a Top 33. They could easily do three "semifinals" of 11 each, but I feel like we will get some WC's. Not sure how it'll play out though...

Running tally of everyone in the Lives so far (cause I like lists):

Calysta Bevier (Simon's GB. Cancer survivor)

Dorothy Williams (Nick's GB. 90 year old "stripper")

Grace VanderWaal (Howie's GB. Teen singer)

Jon Dorenbos (Ne-Yo's GB. NFL Player Magician)

Laura Bretan (Mel B's GB. Teen Classical Singer)

Sal Valentenetti (Heidi's GB. Young Crooner singer)

Sofie Dossi (Reba's GB. Teen Contortionist)

Deadly Games (Danger Act/Knife throwing Husband and Wife)

Edgar (Family Singing Trio)

Hara (Japanese Magician/Ilusionist/Escape Artist)

Julia Scotti (Transgender Stand Up Comic)

Kadan Bart Rockett and his sister (Kid Magician)

Kadie Lynn (12 year adopted country singer)

Laurie May Hernandez (Teen Stand Up Comic)

Linkin Bridge (Acapella African American quartet)

Moya Angela (African American female singer)

The Passing Zone (Comedy Juggling Duo)

Ronee (62 year old African American singer)

Vello (Older Contortionist)

So far we've got 9 singing acts (including 1 band and 1 acapella act), 3 comedy acts (including the juggling duo), 3 magicians, 2 contortionists, 1 danger act, and a 90 year old stripper...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Wow! Then you're awesome! I don't know how he did that trick. Can you tell us? He never touched the cube when he tore the piece from the card. I actually saw it again and I'm still stumped!

Not sure what the policy is on that, so I'll just say some broad hints and spoiler tag it. Imo, there was a combination of misdirection and sleight of hand.

He tore Heidi's card and crumpled it, then HE opened the Rubic's cube.It's not that hard to swap a torn card (with any number on it) that he'd put in the cube before the show. When he opened it, he could easily exchange that piece with the one he'd torn from Heidi's card....some sleight of hand switching them and...voila!  The point where the magician has contact was where the trick happened. The rest was showmanship and misdirection..

• Love 2
23 hours ago, backformore said:

Moya Angelo was mediocre.  If she was on Idol or The Voice, she would have been at the bottom of the pack. 

I didn't like the kid magician for some reason.  His dad is a magician, who taught him these tricks.  It's like that dad's repertoire of tricks are amazing only because they're being done by a child. If the dad performed the same tricks, it would be boring.. 

Moya was totally overpraised. So were all the other singers the judges have put through. The way the judges go nuts for The Edgar Family you'd think no one had ever sung harmony before. Neither their harmonies or individual singing are anything special. But they've got a "story," as does the cancer survivor, and the young country singer. Are we going to hear about her being adopted every week?

Sal got a Golden Buzzer, and he wasn't even good enough to get through group week on American Idol.

The little girl with the bangs who got a Golden Buzzer is maybe the most overrated, and a perfect example of how they grade kids on a curve. A 12 year old writing a song isn't amazing if the song's not any good. She looked like she forgot the lyrics at one point, and when she went to the fast part where she strummed the ukulele, her rhythm was really uneven. Then there was the weird way she slipped in and out of that faux-British (or Swedish?) accent. None of this was mentioned by the judges.

The kid magician is also being graded on a curve. It never looked like the girls were actually popping out of the box. They were just jumping on the stage. And I thought having young girls in skimpy magician's assistant outfits was kind of pervey. Plus, finding out that the kid's father is a magician definitely takes away some of the fun. I bet the family got together and decided that the kid should go on AGT because he'd have a better chance at winning. (or even getting to the lives).

• Love 6

And off we go yet again, Reba showed a nice bit of personality and added some good humor to the episode so I wouldn't mind having her as a more permanent judge. 

Let's not waste time and get to the ranking: 

7: Kadan Bart Rockett - As I mentioned when I was talking about Hara, I'm not the BIGGEST fan of box magicians, so seeing this didn't exactly blow me away. I've seen this trick about a thousand times by now and noticed the switch right away which didn't help so when he actually made it through, I was genuinely baffled. It's clear the kid is passionate about what he does and coming from a family of magicians there's some behind the scenes coaching going on that makes him a step above other kids doing this, BUT I can't for the life of me see him actually competing with adults like Hara or Jon and provide anything more than a simple "well, that was cute" moment. His inclusion makes even less sense when you consider a much better (at least IMO) magician got cut earlier (more on him later...)

6: Moya Angela - I'm going to run into some trouble if I have to keep commenting on the singers this year, as this was another vocally solid performance with an underwhelming song choice and lack of a strong personality. I'm not trying to dismiss her talent, I just have very little to say beyond "Yeah, was good"...umm...Cool...cool earrings? 

5: Kadie Lynn Roberson - Is...is her father actually aware of where he is at? Does...does he need some help? Does he have a history of sleepwalking? Has anyone checked for a pulse? Every episode I get more and more worried...Thankfully Kadie Lynn seems as calm as calm can be, there's just something very likable about her overall, but we have more interesting singers through already...

4. Vello Vaher - Contortion, Howie. Contortion is the category he fits into. The diaper on his head might have confused you for a moment, but try to pay attention. I don't actually see these episodes live (the old "tape your eyelids open" method stops working after 6 AM) so I tend to stay away from reading any spoilers before I get a chance to watch it the next day. This time it lasted for about 5 minutes as the second I turned on the radio, I was bombarded with people going mental over Vello making it through. I'm delighted to see him make it this far, especially considering how similar this was to his audition. I guess the subtitle department just needed the extra work. 

2: Deadly Games - The best kind of judging is done by not looking, isn't that right, Simon? Yeah these type of acts usually have a very short run on this show as they simply run out of ideas, but they stepped it up and definitely deserved their spot. They SHOULD actually incorporate stunts like the wheel falling in future rounds to add some more shock value, but for now they seem to have things under control. Although you have to wonder what the kid must be thinking seeing his dad continuously throwing sharp objects at his mom dressed in skimpy leather outfits.

2: Sofie Dossi - While  this was a step up from her audition, I'm failing to see where she can take this in the next round. Acts like her and Vello have always had a difficult time with staying fresh round after round, so it will be interesting to see if she can manage it or end up like everyone else that has come before her. 

1: Julia Scotti - Comedy is subjective. I say this as someone who has burst out laughing seeing his own drowsy/pimply face in the mirror and who regularly watches old infomercials on youtube while crying from laughter. Saying that, Julia Scotti has made me laugh and smile more than any other comedian on this show. A lot of stand-up comics seem like they are just spouting out rehearsed jokes with little to no connective tissue between them. It's much harder to make everything flow together and seem natural, which is exactly what Julia does. Whatever else happens, I'm rooting for her.

I went into this episode nervously rooting for 2 acts, but after seeing both I was pretty confident they were both through and the tension would be gone once I saw them walk up on stage with 2 other acts that were going out. And surely they would never pair these 2 toge..t..o..oh...oh crap. Yes, I think Steven's elimination is one of the worst this show has ever done and from reading comments online, it seems im not alone. I had him down as a possible finalist in the audition rounds and saw a LOT of potential in him, certainly much more than the kid magicians who will get voted out, so seeing him thrown out so early was baffling. It's the first time I've felt upset over an elimination in a long time and I'm HOPING for a wild card of any sort. 

Next week looks interesting, with them revealing most of the lineup for episode 3 of the judge cuts and it not including MANY of the more memorable auditionees, it only leaves so many spots for acts to fill in the last episode and it will be interesting to see which will disappear without a trace (The drone dancers? Patrick and ginger? Sila Sveta? Dan Meyer? Russian Bar Trio? The Clairvoyants?). From the ones they HAVE shown, I'm most hoping for Tape Face and Viktor Kee to make it. Only time will tell...

• Love 5

Knew I had seen Moya Angela before and it wasn't an enjoyable experience!!  She was one of the "Dreamgirls" playing Effie White in the touring company in 2010 when I saw it at the Ahmanson Theatre.  I detested her performance and at intermission I left.  This year La Mirada Theatre did a revival of the show and they brought her back to play the lead again.  Since I couldn't stand her the first time I saw her I gave my ticket away rather than endure her hideous belting and acting.  I will definitely be voting this year as I do NOT want her to win.     

• Love 1

The first callback will be rapper girl.  Zero doubt.  Blecch.

Kid magicians who do their dad's magic over Rubik's guy?  Unreal.

Moya over R.L.?  Puke.

Two contortionists????

These were arguably the most off-putting jidge cuts I've seen.  That includes freakin' Piers' eps!

• Love 7

Vello on the zip line was so cool. He is wonderfully weird.

The plush piggy rap made me laugh, I wanted to see more lol.

Soooo glad the kid rapper didn't make it through.

Love, love, love Sofie Dossi. Just a normal teenage girl, no sob story, just talent.

Little Parker Garrison should go to SYTYCD: Next Generation. He'll probably have better luck there!

I knew he wouldn't make it, but I still like the Cody the twirler.

Cecile and Mighty - what the HECK was that? I want to know what they did for their first audition because this was terrible!

Steven Brundage getting cut - WHAT? Yet the kid magician made it through? Tragic. Steven was absolutely robbed. Wildcard!!!

Sladek :( I loved him the first time. This time... what was that? It's a shame because we know he's a super talented handbalancer.

I was cracking up when they had Deadly Games vs. Sladek, like really? Gee, I wonder who made it? And then Simon said the same thing.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, dbklmt said:

Knew I had seen Moya Angela before and it wasn't an enjoyable experience!!  She was one of the "Dreamgirls" playing Effie White in the touring company in 2010 when I saw it at the Ahmanson Theatre.  I detested her performance and at intermission I left.  This year La Mirada Theatre did a revival of the show and they brought her back to play the lead again.      

Ahmanson Theater is definitely major league. So yet again this show is giving us an experienced show biz professional and lying to make us think he/she is a struggling amateur whose dreams can only be made come true by AGT.  Why can't they just be honest with us, as The Voice is when they tell you about the professional experience contestants have.

With something like a high wire or knife throwing act it's obvious these people do it for a living, but with singers or comedians it's easy for them to lie and make it sound like they've just been practicing in their basement for the last 10 years. They did that a few years ago with the comedian Tom Cotter, who'd had some major TV appearances and was already playing Vegas.

DBKLMT, kudos to you for walking out at intermission. I'm with you on Moya Angela's singing. That last performance was like an SNL parody of an over-the-top diva. So of course the judges loved it. I much prefer the other African-American woman singer on the show this year.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

I'm just going to rate the people of Night 2, because I really liked a lot of them.

1. Kadie Lynn- I was almost 100% sure she'd get the golden buzzer (not that she'd need it). She did a great job, overall, and while it wasn't the most unique or memorable, she's obviously a star. I'd give her an 8/10.

2. Vello Vaher- He's obviously very talented, but he's really not one of my favorites. He seemed more like a gimmick act, but he was pretty good this time around, and of course he has a hilarious personality. I'd give him a 6/10.

3. House of Lewis- I don't remember seeing their audition, but they're really not that great. I don't think they were as bad as the judges said, but still...I'd give them a 3/10.

4. Zach Sherwin- Again, not as bad as they said, but it was quite cringey, and the pig song was about his life? Okay. 4/10.

5. Skylar Katz- I like her, I really do, and I get she's too young to do covers, but it really was quite cringey. However, she really isn't that great, and her personality is a lot better than her performing. I think she got rightfully eliminated, but I've heard some (scary) rumors that she was brought back to replace someone, which doesn't seem hard to believe due to Simon's creepy obsession of her. Either way, I give her a 5/10.

6. Erik Cavanaugh- I don't believe they showed his audition, but he definately fits the AGT personality. He's got the backstory, the gimmick, and the talent! We only got like 10 seconds of his act, but it looked impressive. I'd give him a 7/10.

7. Sophie Dossi- I LOVED her audition, so I was excited for this. She did great, and of course Reba used her golden buzzer. I think that was a pretty good choice, because she could've been slightly vulnerable (like a 1% chance of being eliminated, but...), anyways, she's super talented and one of the best this year. 10/10!

8. Moya Angela- (Maya Angelou?) She's all right, but we've seen "her" on this show plenty of times. She's nothing new, and there are many better singers. She's that exact powerhouse stereotype, but not as good as them. I was only mildily impressed, and was on the fence. I would've said no. 5/10 for sure.

9. Parker Garrison- Considering his audition was cut down to nothing, and this was the first of a clip show, you knew he was gone. A local child dancer (from my town) actually competed against him in some dance thing, and my hometown kid was on Little Big Shots, and he should try out...Anyways, he seemed okay, but what stood out was his really good sportsmanship. He managed to smile even after his elimination (unlike Cody, or other kids), which was really respectable. 7/10

10. Youngster- Very quick and crisp, as Howie said. It was cool, but cutdown, so I can't really judge well. Still from what we got to see, 7/10.

11. Cody the Twirler- I LOVED his audition too. (In case you couldn't tell, the child/teens are my favorites). Combined with the fact he's a twirler, which impressed me and the as unique. He was easily one of my favorites. The fire was super cool, and he got some of the judges to stand! Unfortunately we only got seconds of his preformance, and h the was eliminated. I'd give him an 8/10. It's a shame he was eliminated, because it's a act you really don't see often, especially from this show. 

12. Kadan Bart Rockett- Probably my least favorite kid act this year, (wait never mind, that little kid comedian is still around ?). Anyways, his preformance really wasn't great. I'd tie him with Skylar, at 5/10. I would've eliminated him. 

13. Adam Grabowski- Poor guy. His jokes all flopped, and he tried to save himself, but came off as offensive. His audition actually made me laugh, which is surprisingly rare on this show. 2/10

14. Julia Scotti- I'm actually quite a fan of her, or at least more than some other comedians (cough Lori cough NATHAN cough), and she did great today! While I can't say that she would've made it without her backstory, she actually used her backstory in her preformance, which I like! 8/10, for sure! 

15. One Voice- One of my clear favorites in the auditions, I was sure they would make it through! Unfortunately, they showed about One NOTE of their preformance, and cut down almost all of it, and eliminated them. What a shame, that they showed Skylar or Kadan over One Voice, Cody, Parker, or anyone else. We heard so little, I can't judge.

16. RL Bell- I think he was one of the most over-hated people on the show. I loved both his preformances, and think he has a great voice, and I don't see what Simon or the others think. He was eliminated, though, which is a shame, but while I liked him, I won't miss him too much. Still, very talented! 7/10

17. Cecile and Mighty- I THINK they were the woman singing to magic? All I remember was it was bad. I can see how they combined the two, but why? 3/10 for them.

18. Steven Brundage- Easily the most controversial choice they made, I actually think he was a bit overrated, but I LOVE his concept, and he did a fantastic job again. However, as much as I like him (yes, I like him, I just think he's overrated), I wouldn't have kept him, and I agree with the judges on this one. Still, if give him at least 7/10.

19. Gary Sladek- Yikes. He went from being a front runner, to becoming one of the worst in the round. A very unimpressive act, to say the least... It was still a bit charming, to give them credit, I'd say 4/10, but mostly out of pity.

20. Deadly Games- Super cool as always, and a good way to close the night. It's an old trick, but they put a new spin on it. They're not my favorites, but they obviously deserved to make it. So while I find them overrated, the still deserve an 8/10.

Overall, I mostly agree with their choices, just not what acts they montaged. However, it's always possible for someone who was cut down to come back, as DADitude was put into a clip show, but saved to replace someone that left. I'd definately give The Smiths, Cody, or One Voice, another chance! It looks like Skylar may take that spot, but you never know. Overall okay acts tonight!

• Love 2

Sofie Dossi - While  this was a step up from her audition, I'm failing to see where she can take this in the next round. Acts like her and Vello have always had a difficult time with staying fresh round after round, so it will be interesting to see if she can manage it or end up like everyone else that has come before her.

This makes me sad because I'm a circus artist, and I find it so frustrating the way singers aren't expected to do anything other than sing a new song, but circus artists are supposed to somehow do these wildly different escalations instead of simply doing different choreographies with different tricks. Dossi's barely showcased hand balancing contortion, so there's tons of other tricks she can incorporate into a choreography, but it feels like if it doesn't end with a variation of shooting something with her foot, it won't count. She does also do partner balancing and aerial silks, though.

It's hard for me to know what the best strategy for her would be since I think circus artists are historically so unappreciated by the general audience, but I think she would have been better off doing her lyra to hand balance/contortion this round and done an act that ended with the fire bow-and-arrow move in the first live show. 

Interestingly, as far as I can dig up on the Internet, she really is self taught with circus. She's a former gymnast, though, so she probably already had a high degree of flexibility and obviously could already do handstands. 

I love Vello, too. Most contortionists I see do the more dance-like back bending version, and I love the sense of humor he incorporates into the freaky look of the front bending contortion. 

Deadly Games are amazing, and how do they safely practice? 

I liked the kid magician much more than most of you all did, it seems. I thought it was a cute, age appropriate routine, and I was NOT expecting the sister reveal. Of course, on rewatch, I know where they did the switch, but I didn't expect the reveal at all at the time. I don't expect magic acts to do innovative tricks I've never seen before; I expect them to do well-presented, well-designed tricks, which this was. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I liked the kid magician much more than most of you all did, it seems. I thought it was a cute, age appropriate routine, and I was NOT expecting the sister reveal. Of course, on rewatch, I know where they did the switch, but I didn't expect the reveal at all at the time. I don't expect magic acts to do innovative tricks I've never seen before; I expect them to do well-presented, well-designed tricks, which this was. 

I don't mind the kid magician, but top 7 for the night? Especially when Steven Brundage got cut? Nope. That bugs.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

This makes me sad because I'm a circus artist, and I find it so frustrating the way singers aren't expected to do anything other than sing a new song, but circus artists are supposed to somehow do these wildly different escalations instead of simply doing different choreographies with different tricks. Dossi's barely showcased hand balancing contortion, so there's tons of other tricks she can incorporate into a choreography, but it feels like if it doesn't end with a variation of shooting something with her foot, it won't count. She does also do partner balancing and aerial silks, though.

It's hard for me to know what the best strategy for her would be since I think circus artists are historically so unappreciated by the general audience, but I think she would have been better off doing her lyra to hand balance/contortion this round and done an act that ended with the fire bow-and-arrow move in the first live show. 

Interestingly, as far as I can dig up on the Internet, she really is self taught with circus. She's a former gymnast, though, so she probably already had a high degree of flexibility and obviously could already do handstands. 

Believe me, it's been frustrating me for years. As much as this show likes to consider itself a free-for-all where EVERYONE can compete equally, it's MUCH more difficult for some acts than others. It's one of the main reasons we kept seeing singers winning for so many years, they could sing new songs every round. And even in recent years the acts that have been successful are ones that can change things round after round after round after round (Comedians come up with new jokes, magicians with new tricks etc), but you can spend 35 years perfecting your acrobatic/danger stunts and even if you are the absolute best at it, eventually the judges will go "We've seen you do this already" and you are out. I guess it's just one of the many flaws of this show...

• Love 6

I genuinely thought Kadan Bart Rockett gave a better performance than Steven Brundage. Brundage had a nice final reveal with his act, but for me, it was the same thing over and over with one unexpected moment and nothing particularly interesting about his patter/presentation. I would have put Brundage through over Hara, though, if those two were in direct competition with each other. I would pay to see Hara before I would pay to see Brundage because I'm a sucker for a goth-aesthetic magic show, but I don't think Hara put any kind of interesting spin on his trick and we've seen similar magicians on the show already.

I don't know how much the kids really designed their act versus their magician father helping, but what they came up with was a great, well-structured trick. I also love that they embrace their ages and do cute, saccharine presentations instead of trying to do their tricks like adults would. They're very professional, but they don't make the mistake that a lot of kid acts do of thinking professional = just like an adult. 

Of course, I would have been happy to have Brundage go through instead of another singer. (but to be fair to the singers, I don't actually watch them because I have no interest in them, so they may actually be great)

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought the judges did a good job.  I thought the Rubik's Cube guy might make it and Bell too, but the judges had to make choices. 

I'm getting the feeling on this board no kid singer is going to get a fair shake.  I've liked them all and it's shame so many of you have some sort of past bias that isn't going to let you judge them fairly. 

And most magicians are doing someone else's trick.  The kid did a good job.

I have dabbled in magic and know how they do most of them or have a pretty good idea.  All have done a respectable job so far.

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 1

...no kid singer is going to get a fair shake.  I've liked them all

Speaking only for myself, I haven't liked all the kid singers.  Tastes can vary, which is why I keep hoping for more audience-based voting earlier in the process (though that also lets novelty acts that appeal to the judges make it further.)

For kid acts, there are usually two groups:  talented for being a kid, and talented despite/independent of being a kid.  Some people are entertained by either group; some find kids off-putting enough that the "talented despite being a kid" seems harder to reach than if they were small adults.  For singers, the only way to be sure which group you're in is "The Voice" style blind auditions, which has had some younger winners, but no one as young as some of the kid singers on AGT. 

The "no kids" reaction might also seem stronger than it really is, partly as a reaction to the realization that to be even moderately talented, a young person had to give up some aspects of a normal childhood (that no one actually seems to have had, but there's a principle.)  My other push-back comes from a reaction to the show saying "they're talented for an adult!" and then pointing out that if the act isn't perfect, or even good that week, it's because they're just a kid.  Either statement can be true, but putting them together makes me feel like I'm being asked to pay extra to have my taxes done by a kid accountant.  (The difference being "Kid Accountant" has more novelty value.) 

Note also that although I have a Golden Hatred of the magic buzzer, it wouldn't stop me from voting for an act if I liked it.  I limit that hatred to the producers who keep acting like it will create world peace, instead of saying one judge really REALLY likes an act.  Pick your padawans all you like; I just don't need to be excited about that.

• Love 2
(edited)

And sadly, most of the AGT kids are just talented for being a kid. Kaden? Sure, he's good for being 10, but if an adult magician came out and did those same tricks they'd be sent packing without a doubt. Ditto with the kid comedians. They grade these kids on a curve and give them automatic bonus points for being soooo young.

Sofie Dossi is the one for me who is talented no matter what. Her act would be equally impressive if done by an adult.

Edited by UsernameGoesHere
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, UsernameGoesHere said:

And sadly, most of the AGT kids are just talented for being a kid. Kaden? Sure, he's good for being 10, but if an adult magician came out and did those same tricks they'd be sent packing without a doubt. Ditto with the kid comedians. They grade these kids on a curve and give them automatic bonus points for being soooo young.

Sofie Dossi is the one for me who is talented no matter what. Her act would be equally impressive if done by an adult.

The kids on this show have been making me crazy for years. Especially since IMO some of them are not even all that talented for kids. They're just the ones with parents who have pushed them the hardest. If you really want to see amazing talent at an early age, go to a classical music recital and see 10 year old piano or violin prodigies.

I mostly agree about Sofie, but I do think part of her appeal is her age. She's cute and comes across as a sweet, unspoiled kid, which should really help her in the audience voting. Plus, in what she does, being small and flexible is an advantage. Think of Nadia Comenici, Olga Korbut, and all the tiny gymnasts who have dominated women's gymnastics. What's mind boggling about them (and Sofie) is that they combine flexibility with amazing strength for someone their size and weight.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of hers. But I think it's almost impossible not to factor in age, no matter the level of talent. In Sofie's case, t's been pointed out that she's managed to spend so many hours practicing and developing her act even while going to school and doing other normal kid things.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:52 PM, Jordan27 said:

I'm getting the feeling on this board no kid singer is going to get a fair shake.  I've liked them all and it's shame so many of you have some sort of past bias that isn't going to let you judge them fairly. 

I don't think that's it at all.   For me, it's that part of the prize is a Vegas show, and for the most part, kid acts are not going to be able to do that.   So when kids advance, they take the place of someone who might actually be able to do a Vegas show.  Also, on AGT, it seems like the kid acts get more praise than the act actually deserves, because nobody wants to make a child cry.   And adults don't want to compete against kids.  There's something that bugs me about a performer who has been working and training for decades to reach a certain level, and then they have to compete for a place with a kid who has talent, but is being praised for being "only"  a certain number of years old. 

• Love 3

Sure, he's good for being 10, but if an adult magician came out and did those same tricks they'd be sent packing without a doubt.

If he did it with the exact set up that Kaden did, yes, because that would be creepy. But I think if an adult magician executed the trick just as well as Kaden but with a more adult look to it, the adult would go through. Hara went through and what Hara did wasn't any more unique or impressive. 

For me, it's that part of the prize is a Vegas show, and for the most part, kid acts are not going to be able to do that.

Why not? (and also, do people really get a Vegas show from AGT? I thought they got the tour and then it was up to them to parlay that into an actual show or not)

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, backformore said:

I don't think that's it at all.   For me, it's that part of the prize is a Vegas show, and for the most part, kid acts are not going to be able to do that.   So when kids advance, they take the place of someone who might actually be able to do a Vegas show.  Also, on AGT, it seems like the kid acts get more praise than the act actually deserves, because nobody wants to make a child cry.   And adults don't want to compete against kids.  There's something that bugs me about a performer who has been working and training for decades to reach a certain level, and then they have to compete for a place with a kid who has talent, but is being praised for being "only"  a certain number of years old. 

Well, that sounds like a bias right there which is unfounded.  In fact, on this show, we see the older people getting more leeway for being old.  The stripper, the lounge singer and his wife, the old heavy metal singer all should not have advanced. 

And when did Vegas come into it?  It's not America's Trying to Find the Vegas Act.

And they have let kids go, but I haven't seen any big act upended by a kid yet.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Jordan27 said:

And when did Vegas come into it?  It's not America's Trying to Find the Vegas Act.

Isn't it?

The prize money is, as I had read, paid out over 40 years as an annuity. ($25 grand/year)   AND, the winner also gets the chance to headline in Vegas.  I don't think this is officially part of the prize, but in past seasons, the judges would ask of an act "could it sustain a whole show in Vegas?"  so I think that it is the intent of the show to find a winner who will then get a Vegas show.  Howard Stern, I think, was the judge who talked about it the most, as the criteria for choosing a winner. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2