Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

52 minutes ago, IdleBrook said:

Gabby is also the face of Nike's new athleisure line, and will be promoting it with Teen Vogue so I agree that she is coming out fine sponsor wise.  Momager might as well go full on Kris Jenner and consider having her do a Gabby lip kit since her lipstick choices got buzzed about along with her hand placement.

Nike just signed Ellie Downie interesting choice. I agree she should do a lip kit line. I noticed in the TMZ clip of Gabby her publicist was with her so I'm sure we will be hearing more stuff in the coming days.

19 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Nike just signed Ellie Downie interesting choice. 

That is an interesting choice.  I do like that they are looking at potential and not just medalists.  I am surprised Nike hasn't signed Laurie yet; she has the full package and is likely to stick around for the next quad if her body lets her.  Maybe she will go the Reebok route like Aly did.

1 hour ago, IdleBrook said:

That is an interesting choice.  I do like that they are looking at potential and not just medalists.  I am surprised Nike hasn't signed Laurie yet; she has the full package and is likely to stick around for the next quad if her body lets her.  Maybe she will go the Reebok route like Aly did.

I was surprised Nike didn't sign Laurie because Sheryl Shade  had Gabby and Shawn sign with Nike. I think it is a good move because Ellie has ton of potential with worlds next year she has a chance to get on the all-around podium. Has    Reebok done anything with Aly latley? I could see Laurie with Under Armour. I know Addidas had deals at some point  with Jordyn, McKayla, Leyva and Dalton ( not sure if they still are all still with Addidas). So that is another possibility. I think Gabby signed with Nike in 2013 so there is still time. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

Purely speculation but I wonder if Aly may appear on Lip Sync Battle? She has been tweeting back and forth with Chrissy Teigan and her husband John Legend today.

It also sounds like all the girls will present at the MTV Video Music Awards (which I think the Fierce Five did as well?) 

6 hours ago, cesstar said:

Purely speculation but I wonder if Aly may appear on Lip Sync Battle? She has been tweeting back and forth with Chrissy Teigan and her husband John Legend today.

It also sounds like all the girls will present at the MTV Video Music Awards (which I think the Fierce Five did as well?) 

Yup they did. I remember Nikki Minaj incorporating Gabby in her lyrics. I thought the twitter exchange was cute. I laughed really hard at John Legend tweeting about his uneven bar skills and Aly asking him to show her some moves. I'm sure GK is happy Aly offered to send some leotards and Simone told Kim to buy her leotards for North after Kim tweeted North was trying to copy Simone's moves.

Is anyone else annoyed about the media coverage about Colton Underwood and Aly Raisman's set up? I feel like this guy is trying to ride Aly's fame. I remember the media tried to set her up Tyler Seguin in 2012 because he tweeted her congratulations (one of her teammates at Breystans was the daughter of Bruins GM at the time).

Edited by choclatechip45

Simone had no PR missteps, but cemented her anticipated splash into mainstream sports celebrity with these Olympics.  Even the "scandal" per Al's parent remarks put her in even more in a sympathetic light with the media/public.

Of course in gymnastics there is no gimmee, but it's going to be interesting how she handles in this next Olympic cycle her superstar status (per the outside world, not gymnastics, where's she was  already big).

The only comparable competing gymnast per superstar status was Nadia Comaneci from 1976-1980, but she was in the bubble of Iron Curtain Romania. 

We don't even know if she's even hit her "peak" yet.

16 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

Simone had no PR missteps, but cemented her anticipated splash into mainstream sports celebrity with these Olympics.  Even the "scandal" per Al's parent remarks put her in even more in a sympathetic light with the media/public.

Of course in gymnastics there is no gimmee, but it's going to be interesting how she handles in this next Olympic cycle her superstar status (per the outside world, not gymnastics, where's she was  already big).

The only comparable competing gymnast per superstar status was Nadia Comaneci from 1976-1980, but she was in the bubble of Iron Curtain Romania. 

We don't even know if she's even hit her "peak" yet.

I would argue Gabby and Shawn both were recognized in the media during the off years not always for the best reasons. I would say both were more famous than the average gymnast.  I wasn't alive during the 80's so I can't say anything about Mary Lou. My friends who don't follow gymnastics the only ones they can remember are Gabby, Shawn and the girl who made the face. Yes my friends have no idea who Nadia is which is a shame. My family members who are older can name Nadia, Mary Lou, Shawn and Gabby. Both groups love Simone! I think the main thing for Simone will be motivation it was obvious both Nastia and Gabby lacked it at times during their comebacks. I know Carly mentioned she isn't sure were she would have found the motivation if she wasn't injured. It might be better for Simone to retire everyone compared Shawn and Gabby to their past performances. Might be better for her to go out on top. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

I think the big difference with Simone is that she was THE overwhelming favorite to win the AA going into the Olympics, which has not  been the case with most of  the other AA  American gold medalist gymnasts going back to Mary Lou Retton.  For better or for worse, most of the times they weren't even per the American press considered the favored American ('84 I would argue Julia McNamara and not Mary Lou, 1992 Kim Zymeskal (sp) and not (Silver Medalist by a whisker)Shannon Miller, 08 Shawn Johnson, not Nastia Liukin, '12 Jordyn, not Gabby.

Pre-Simone, Carly Patterson arguably was the most perceived co-favorite American of winning an Olympic AA, considering she was the reigning Silver Medalist AA from previous Worlds.  But even Carly had maybe a year or year and a half of impressive results and peaked at the right time. (She didn't compete at the Nationals)

In the case of Mary Lou Retton and Carly, they didn't bother to go on after the Olympics, and we both saw how hard it was for Nastia and Shawn to make it back  I actually think it's been underappreciated how impressive it was for Gabby to come back 4 years later as the reigning AA champ.

Having said that,  I don think anyone seriously thought that Gabbby was the fave, and even the media/press acknowledged that it was Simone's to lose, thus all the talk about 5 gold medals.   The expectations on Simone were huge.  She won the AA with the largest point spread in history and she's been undefeated in 4 years, so if she stays healthy and motivated, the marketing on her will go into overdrive by Tokyo.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Having said that,  I don think anyone seriously thought that Gabbby was the fave, and even the media/press acknowledged that it was Simone's to lose, thus all the talk about 5 gold medals.   The expectations on Simone were huge.  She won the AA with the largest point spread in history and she's been undefeated in 4 years, so if she stays healthy and motivated, the marketing on her will go into overdrive by Tokyo.

I agree Simone will make serious money if she comes back. I will be surprised if Gabby/Simone are not in Tokyo because I am sure sponsors/some media publication will send them both to Tokyo.  I think we will know for sure if Simone is going to stage a comeback if she decides not to go away to college in the next year. Simone strikes me as someone who thinks out every decision since she kept her college eligibility as long as she could. All the deals before the Olympics are finalized in Jan/Feb. I remember Gabby had a ton of ads during the Sochi Olympics. I'm sure Simone will have some ads as well.

• Love 1