Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

@kittykat I have always liked Oleg because he works so hard and has such a good attitude. I am so torn over the AA because I have too many people I want to do well and medal! Any mix of Kohei, Ryohei, Oleg, Sam, and Max will make me happy. Though I'll probably ugly cry no matter what the result. 

Talks of shitshow or not shitshow aside, this is why I tune into the Olympics.  I'll always root for my Americans but I love getting acquainted with athletes from other nations and wanting them to win as well.  I agree, so many likeable people.  Just this once can't we give them all participation medals?

9 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And a lot better than I think anyone expected for the US men, given the fact that the US men have had a history of imploding in recent years.  Keep up the good work, gentlemen!

Can anybody that watched Sam's Pommel Horse tell me what happend? He has a competitive D-score, 6.2, but his execution was only 6.9. Did he make any uncharacteristic mistakes (I know the US men are usually terrible here)? He's going to need to be at least in the mid-14's or higher to probably have a shot at an AA medal. All he needed was an 8.0 E-score to qualify 3rd.

My country's gymnasts got a horizontal bar and a rings final and we even got one gymnast in the all round final(our first ever finalist). I'm pretty happy with that result. I believe the team got 10th overall which isn't bad either.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Can anybody that watched Sam's Pommel Horse tell me what happend? He has a competitive D-score, 6.2, but his execution was only 6.9. Did he make any uncharacteristic mistakes (I know the US men are usually terrible here)? He's going to need to be at least in the mid-14's or higher to probably have a shot at an AA medal. All he needed was an 8.0 E-score to qualify 3rd.

He came off. If he can stay on in the AA, he'll do much better. 

2 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I really wish they'd do away with this. It just confuses people. Just say that scores in the 14s are average, scores in the 15s are good, and scores in the 16s are exceptional. 

Right? like. you don't need the paint by numbers stuff. 

Oh Pommel Horse. you're the men's balance beam. so beautiful, but i still don't understand  you.

• Love 1

Alex Naddour got close on rings.   I think he finished 10th or 11th.  I've long been resigned to the fact that NBC shuns any event the US isn't favored.  I just hope in team finals that they show at least the top 5 teams and not US/China/Japan.  I want to see GB, Ukraine and Brazil as well.  I know they can't show everyone but I don't want this all Americans and two or three gymnasts front he top teams that they've done before but again, not setting my hopes too high.

As far as the ladies go, twitter and the like are already abuzz with controversy about Aly and Gabby getting a shot at AA over Laurie.

Edited by kittykat
Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

Replaced by Nastia. 

Permanently? 
I don't know how I feel about this. I guess i'll see tomorrow during the women's competition. 

8 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I really wish they'd do away with this. It just confuses people. Just say that scores in the 14s are average, scores in the 15s are good, and scores in the 16s are exceptional. 

I think it could be somewhat helpful because different events tend to have slightly different scores. IMO, the problem is they ignore the start values, which is apparently where someone like Simone Biles has a real advantage. If they also found a way to signal start value, then their coding might be more useful.

4 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Alex Naddour got close on rings.   I think he finished 10th or 11th.  I've long been resigned to the fact that NBC shuns any event the US isn't favored.  I just hope in team finals that they show at least the top 5 teams and not US/China/Japan.  I want to see GB, Ukraine and Brazil as well.  I know they can't show everyone but I don't want this all Americans and two or three gymnasts front he top teams that they've done before but again, not setting my hopes too high.

As far as the ladies go, twitter and the like are already abuzz with controversy about Aly and Gabby getting a shot at AA over Laurie.

Their coverage of the competition in London was especially bad. I think they showed maybe ONE event of Marcel Nguyen's even though he was the silver medalist in the All-Around. Ridiculous, considering it was tape delayed, and NBC already knew who the podium consisted of.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Permanently? 
I don't know how I feel about this. I guess i'll see tomorrow during the women's competition. 

She called all of the lead up events. I think she was fine. 

I think they keep the color coding for old, doddering Trautwig's sake. 

Sucks to be on the west coast whee this stuff is SUPER tape-delayed. Ugh. 

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

She called all of the lead up events. I think she was fine. 

I think they keep the color coding for old, doddering Trautwig's sake. 

Sucks to be on the west coast whee this stuff is SUPER tape-delayed. Ugh. 

(laugh), true, Al seems to reference this a lot
Also thanks, re: nastia. I'm sure she's good, but i don't like change (even though i rant and rail at Tim + Elfie) :)

Oh i can imagine. I mean i watched this live, and I am still like.. dude. there was a lot more gymnastics than this. 
(I really like Darnel's blanket). 

5 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Aly is not to blame for this. I will go to Twitter War if she gets blamed for Laurie being left out of the AA like she was blamed for Jordyn. 

Right.  Unfortunately it looks like Gabby is taking the heat this time.  Again twitter douches NOT HER FAULT. Marta has led the US ladies to quite a few successes, I think she knows what she's doing.

Yeah, Gabby and Aly can get international judges behind them easier than a first year senior. It DOES seem off though, when you remember that Gabby came in 7th in her own trials. But I get why Marta is doing it, especially if they are hiding some sort of injury to Laurie. 

I guess we find out for sure tomorrow. I've already cleared my schedule. :D

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, Gabby and Aly can get international judges behind them easier than a first year senior. It DOES seem off though, when you remember that Gabby came in 7th in her own trials. But I get why Marta is doing it, especially if they are hiding some sort of injury to Laurie. 

I guess we find out for sure tomorrow. I've already cleared my schedule. :D

It's a good problem to have. The US has 4 gymnasts with legitimate arguments that they should get a chance at the all around. Giving all 4 a chance would be silly and take away Madison's reason for being there: bars. Someone's fans were bound to be unhappy. The only really indefensible thing would be sitting Simone out of an event.

I feel like Nastia replaced Elfie shortly after London. I know it's been at least 2 years. I think she's done a good job.

Elfi reminds me of NBC's love affair with skating commentator Sandra Bezic.  I love me those Canadian commentators, but really, with the US overrun with gold medalists in both sports, why do we need those has-been Canadians who never stood atop an Olympic podium?  I always thought Sandra must have been sleeping with some NBC executive for her to keep her job for so long.... I mean, she often choreographed skater routines and never mentioned her role until the Internet called her out (those were the days before Twitter and Facebook).  

• Love 3

Thank God they livestreamed earlier this afternoon.  NBC coverage tonight did INDEED stink.  They don't show the #1 and #2 qualifiers in Floor Exercise ... 2 Americans!!! (Mikulak and Dalton).  And they don't show the Chinese team or Russia AT ALL (and they came in 1st!!! and 3rd in qualifying as teams).  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So pleased for the USA men, Mikulak/Brooks for the AA, Mikulak in FX and HB finals, Leyva in PB/HB finals, Naddour in PH, and Dalton (FX).  Yay!!

As for the whole Laurie not competing in AA in Qualification drama ....... I'm not mad.

Laurie has VERY little experience and will not score nearly as high on a few events internationally as she did at nationals/Trials.

Aly Raisman is given a chance to compete for AA by doing Bars in qualification.  Her Beam and FX is world class. And Gabby is needed on bars (over Laurie).  Laurie could get slammed on Bars and might only qualify on Beam if she absolutely nails it.

So yeah, I'm fine with Aly and Gabby going for the AA along with Simone tomorrow night.

• Love 1

One thing I hate about Tim and Al is that they'll ask Nastia a question and then not let her answer it. Example #1: tonight when they asked her about the obsessive shoulder massaging Nastia started a reasonable explanation about how it's a method gymnasts use to treat sore muscles but before she could finish her sentence she was cut off and retreated into silence again. They better let her talk more tomorrow.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Elfi reminds me of NBC's love affair with skating commentator Sandra Bezic.  I love me those Canadian commentators, but really, with the US overrun with gold medalists in both sports, why do we need those has-been Canadians who never stood atop an Olympic podium?  I always thought Sandra must have been sleeping with some NBC executive for her to keep her job for so long.... I mean, she often choreographed skater routines and never mentioned her role until the Internet called her out (those were the days before Twitter and Facebook).  

In defense of Elfi - the reason why she never stood atop an Olympic podium was because of the boycott in 1980. She never got her chance. So, I don't think she's a "has-been Canadian." for not getting to realise her Olympic dream. (and since she has her US citizenship, married an American and I think has kids who American - I think the only thing "Canadian" about her was just that she was born here and used to compete here).  Second of all - I would imagine it would be more of  - other USA medalists don't want the job, or aren't good at it. (like worse than what we've got now) CBC used to get a lot of "just retired athletes" and i was often wondering "Why are you even there?" it's sort of that thing - those who can, do, and those who can't, teach (or in this case - call the event). but I will leave it there. 

I haven't really "heard" Nastia, it was just a surprise to me, I'm not the biggest fan of Elfi simply because it got to be a lot of "OMG what a hard move, but she did it." but like I said - I don't like change, i am used to my shut up Al's - Tims, and (used to say) Elfi. 

Anyway. Women's Qualification:
8:45 AM:
Subdivision 1:
Mixed group 7 (Chilie Turkey Croatia, Australia, Uzbekistan)
Belgium
China
Mixed group 1 (Jamacia, Panama, South Korea, Ireland, PR Korea)

Subdivision 2:
Italy
Mixed group 5 (Columbia, Belarus, Argentina, Algeria, Armenia)
Russia
Mixed Group 6 (Romania, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Spain)

1:30pm
Subdivision 3:
Mixed Group 8 (Slovakia, Guatemala, Sweden, India, Vietnam)
Great Britain
Brazil
Germany

4:30pm
Subdivision 4:
Mixed group 4: (Iceland, New Zealand, RE South Africa)
Netherlands
Mixed Group 2 (Venezula, Slovenia, Peru, Trinidad + Tobago, Greece)
USA

7:30pm:
Subdivision 5
Japan
France
Canada
Mixed group 3 (Mexico, Cuba, Portugal, Ukraine, Poland)

hope this helps

49 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

NBC's coverage in primetime was pitiful. At least they streamed everything live in the afternoon. 

They streamed live tonight as well. I was able to watch the swimming live, which living on the west coast, NEVER happens. They also show the medal ceremonies for EVERYONE, not just the Americans (not that Americans won any golds today in the pool).

53 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

NBC would prefer to pretend that MAG doesn't exist since US doesn't dominate it. 

Maybe. They seem really eager to get to the women's event, perhaps since the US is very good plus it's a popular event. You know they'll show all of the US routines for it, maybe try to create drama about whoever gets left out of the all-around, probably ignore the other countries to the point where it seems like a competition between which US woman is chosen by Marta...

I do like watching the primetime package, but like I said, at least they livestream everything. Especially when the primetime coverage sucks.

As for the whole Laurie not competing in AA in Qualification drama ....... I'm not mad.

Laurie has VERY little experience and will not score nearly as high on a few events internationally as she did at nationals/Trials.

Aly Raisman is given a chance to compete for AA by doing Bars in qualification.  Her Beam and FX is world class. And Gabby is needed on bars (over Laurie).  Laurie could get slammed on Bars and might only qualify on Beam if she absolutely nails it.

So yeah, I'm fine with Aly and Gabby going for the AA along with Simone tomorrow night.

I agree plus Gabby and Aly have always scored well internationally. I think Gabby had the fourth highest difficulty in the all-around at Worlds 2015 and ended up getting the silver all based on her difficulty. I'm really looking forward to seeing Aly and Gabby battle it out for second AA spot. I hope both hit so its competitive. Martha clearly trusts Gabby since she will be the first routine for the team.

6 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Maybe. They seem really eager to get to the women's event, perhaps since the US is very good plus it's a popular event. You know they'll show all of the US routines for it, maybe try to create drama about whoever gets left out of the all-around, probably ignore the other countries to the point where it seems like a competition between which US woman is chosen by Marta...

I do like watching the primetime package, but like I said, at least they livestream everything. Especially when the primetime coverage sucks.

The primetime coverage tonight was awful. While the early sessions are too early for this west coaster, I caught the other two and was glad I did. 

52 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Anyway. Women's Qualification:
8:45 AM:
Subdivision 1:
Mixed group 7 (Chilie Turkey Croatia, Australia, Uzbekistan)
Belgium
China
Mixed group 1 (Jamacia, Panama, South Korea, Ireland, PR Korea)

Subdivision 2:
Italy
Mixed group 5 (Columbia, Belarus, Argentina, Algeria, Armenia)
Russia
Mixed Group 6 (Romania, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Spain)

1:30pm
Subdivision 3:
Mixed Group 8 (Slovakia, Guatemala, Sweden, India, Vietnam)
Great Britain
Brazil
Germany

4:30pm
Subdivision 4:
Mixed group 4: (Iceland, New Zealand, RE South Africa)
Netherlands
Mixed Group 2 (Venezula, Slovenia, Peru, Trinidad + Tobago, Greece)
USA

7:30pm:
Subdivision 5
Japan
France
Canada
Mixed group 3 (Mexico, Cuba, Portugal, Ukraine, Poland)

hope this helps

What time zone are those times?

Also, adding insult to injury - literally - French gymnast dropped from stretcher.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Poor guy!

And then to read that the exact same injury happened to his other leg in the same way four years ago as he was preparing for London.  If it weren't for bad luck, this man would have no luck at all!

That said, he's already announced that he plans to be back in Tokyo in 2020.  https://twitter.com/YahooSportFR

For those who don't know French, his exact words are "I will return to Tokyo to win gold."

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And then to read that the exact same injury happened to his other leg in the same way four years ago as he was preparing for London.  If it weren't for bad luck, this man would have no luck at all!

Or it could mean it was doing a vault that is clearly too hard for him.

That's the danger with the new code and scoring system: You can have a 7.4 D-score, have terrible execution scoring in the 8's, and win over someone with a lower D-score but higher execution. This is why I think the new code rewards mediocrity, specifically on the men's side. Back on'08, Yang Wei could have fallen 4 times on high bar, his weakest event, and still win the all around. He built up such a huge cushion on 4 events that he essentially was a 4 event gymnast and no one had a chance. The Chinese are great at exploiting this weakest in the new system.

• Love 1

In defense of Elfi - the reason why she never stood atop an Olympic podium was because of the boycott in 1980. She never got her chance. So, I don't think she's a "has-been Canadian." for not getting to realise her Olympic dream. (and since she has her US citizenship, married an American and I think has kids who American - I think the only thing "Canadian" about her was just that she was born here and used to compete here).

Yes, I felt for her and all the other athletes who lost out n 1980 ... The problem is that NBC had her commentating LONG after her career was over and the US was winning medals in 1984.  I find it difficult to believe that NOT ONE of the US gymnasts from 1984 wanted an easy job commentating 2 or 3 times a year.  This isn't a slam on Elfi but on the networks.  They should switch them out more often, unless they are iconic like Dick Button.  

• Love 2

And they don't show the Chinese team or Russia AT ALL (and they came in 1st!!! and 3rd in qualifying as teams).  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

They were shown in the overnight Gymnastics hour ... which was only 45 minutes since NBC editors suck.  Not a single show ended on time, so I was forced to DVR the entire night ... 

My only hope is that with Time Warner On Demand, we may get individual sport episodes.

@PoshSprinkles - me too. I was actually surprised they dinged the 2000? team  for underage. though - with so many sports that do allow 14-15 year olds - they should just again allow underage gymnasts - but i can see why they don't as well. 

Belgium is looking good (in both leos and bars :D )

If NBC ever wonders why ratings are down, it's this:  the Primetime show is delayed so everything runs over, they have no idea what events are important in gymnastics (i.e., the US men finish 1, 2 on floor -- completely UNSEEN) and the lifestream is so miserable that I want to throw my phone at my TV screen.

There must be more demand for the lifestream today:  every one of my screens is frozen and NBC doesn't tell me what country is on what event, so I have to try and figure out where China is ... 

When I call Time Warner to complain about the spinning-wheel-of-death, they tell me it's NBC's fault.  NBC, of course, blames Time Warner and both probably cite my old laptop and new iPhone as the problem .... 

Grrr ... 

• Love 2

China is on floor, and one gymnast had a little melt down (she stepped outside) - then her second pass she put her hands on the floor  - she got 11-7. 

holy. crap this gymnast (Sung Changsong) - looks like she's 12. 

Edited by Daisy

Anyone know where the US women start today? I've finally got the NBC app working and just flipped through all of the apparatuses but couldn't find them. Did see the Chinese girl's floor meltdown and a really solid vault from a North Korean (?) girl.