Type keyword(s) to search

Doc & Darryl

The careers of 1980s New York Mets stars Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry are explored by directors Judd Apatow and Michael Bonfiglio. On-field brilliance was followed by destructive addictions for both players, who reunite at a diner in Queens.

Premieres Thursday, July 14, at 9 PM ET.

I don't know if having this air after the OJ 30 for 30 was the best idea in the world.

I think I know how the filmmaker wanted me to feel but my post-OJ reaction was to look for even more darkness where the might not be any.

Unfair, but that's where my head was at.......

Nice article, Sarah; you gave me even more to think about after watching this. Watching Doc made me twitchy, which I thought was just me at first, but as the show went on I realized it was because *he* was twitchy, and I hadn't realized his recovery/sobriety was so precarious. Sad.

• Love 3

Thanks for this review; you went in with many of the concerns I had. Having read this, I feel just about ready to watch. The Gooden documentary that SNY did a couple years ago also left me worried about Doc. The story of how he missed the ticker tape parade celebrating the '86 win--because he was too high to get himself out of the crackhouse and into Manhattan--was harrowing. A waking nightmare; he knew where he had to be but he just couldn't get there. I'm with you on never imagining that Darryl would be the more OK one now. I was 13 in '86, and remember thinking that Strawberry was one of the most gorgeous-in-motion athletes I've ever seen, he just made everything look so easy.

• Love 1

My only concern as a Mets fan back then was that I was hoping the team wouldn't trade Doc or Darryl. I wanted them to be enshrined in Cooperstown wearing Mets caps. Yes, us fans were absolutely thinking along those lines in the 80s.

The way he kept bringing it up, it's obvious that missing the '86 World Series parade haunts Doc to this day. It's sad. Darryl at least seems to have made peace with his past and has found some contentment for himself. It looks like Doc may never get there. 

• Love 2