Type keyword(s) to search

Diving: Platform Ready

10 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

So I just looked up at the tv as two divers, from GB I think, were walking off the pool deck and I swear one guy's, ahem, "area" was blurred out.  Anyone else see that?  

I didn't see it, but it WAS raining so maybe it was a drop of water on the camera lens ;-)

I don't mind the Chinese dominating when Greg Louganis won every gold under the sun ftom late 70s to mid 80s (minus 1980 Olympics).

They're so impecable and beautiful to watch.

• Love 2

Do the divers not have a locker room?  On the live stream yesterday, after the competition ended, the stream followed the gold medal winning British pair.  They went to a row of lockers in a tunnel, and did that thing that many young men in their 20s seem to do in locker rooms, wrap a towel around their waist and remove their swimsuits.  Then they put on their warm up pants for the medal ceremony.   It was weird, it seemed like they were expected to change in the tunnel.

• Love 2

One of the U.S. Divers has a theory about the green pool. The wall behind the pool is green. He thinks the green dye from that wall is what changed the water. The dye is in the pool. He pointed out that they did an event at that pool a few months before and the wall was blue, so there were no problems then. Apparently the water has been tested and is safe.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

One of the U.S. Divers has a theory about the green pool. The wall behind the pool is green. He thinks the green dye from that wall is what changed the water. The dye is in the pool. He pointed out that they did an event at that pool a few months before and the wall was blue, so there were no problems then. Apparently the water has been tested and is safe.

The theory sounds fun, but the whole concept that there was ever a point where anyone was unsure what it was is strange to me. There are literal, actual testing machines for algae. Or for that matter, putting the water on a slide and looking under a microscope.

• Love 1

Och.  That diver Freitag wins the looks like a dude award today.

Love the explanations for continuing Green Pool.  At least they're finally admitting what we all knew and they simply fibbed about (that it wasn't going to be a quick fix).

Was watching some of the diving this afternoon. I think everyone seemed nervous because they needed to dive into that gross looking water. They seriously have not tried to get it back to the right color?

I loved how the announcer shot down the idea that the water could be effecting them.  it looks like they are diving into a swamp and they now are basically being told there is algae in the water...yup that would shake my nerves.  

Edited by kalystia1983
  • Love 3

I don't think I would feel much better after hearing the pool water is safe.  I would think any ill effects would take at least 24 hours to manifest themselves, correct?  So I would be waiting for the itching, the nausea, the headaches, etc. for at least a week.

• Love 4

Oh damn. I knew synchro was complete, but lost track of events! Diving into that muck from 33 feet in the air is going to be awful. Not even the little hoses of depth are going to help much, and looking at them, they look like something I could rig up with a couple of hooks and screws into a wall. 

So glad I saw a lot of the diving on the live stream.  According to Nothing But Crap, there are only two Americans, the defending champion from Russia who barely made it through, one Chinese who was awesome, and one Chinese who is the reigning world champion but failed.  That's it.  We didn't get to see any of Jack Laugher, one half of the gold medal winning British synchro team.  None of the Jamaican who seemed to be a crowd favourite.  None of the Mexican who qualified second.

Didn't get to see the Malaysian who bellyflopped and got an amazingly low score of 9 something.

Question for experts... on the stream they were talking about whether the bellyflopper would get a "no dive".  What is a "no dive"?  I get that a "re dive" they get a second chance like Tom Daley in 12 when the flashes went off, but I'm confused as to why the announcers seemed to suggest it would be better if the Malaysian got a "no dive" than a score in the single digits.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It's been outside before, most spectacularly in Barcelona.

You're right.  Geez.  I wish I could remember better.  Oh well.  Diving in the wind is really messing with the divers tonight.  

• Love 2
On 8/11/2016 at 11:30 PM, blackwing said:

Do the divers not have a locker room?  On the live stream yesterday, after the competition ended, the stream followed the gold medal winning British pair.  They went to a row of lockers in a tunnel, and did that thing that many young men in their 20s seem to do in locker rooms, wrap a towel around their waist and remove their swimsuits.  Then they put on their warm up pants for the medal ceremony.   It was weird, it seemed like they were expected to change in the tunnel.

It's called a deck change, and while rather common in some swimming & diving clubs, it's considered to be kind of tacky to do one when a tv camera might be present.

So they got the pool somewhat less green just in time for the hurricane to hit. I assume that the women will be diving in a few days among a plague of locusts that only slightly obscure the ability of the judges to see a good entry.

• Love 6

the water seemed more blue tonight. I missed all afternoon and a good portion of the evening, was in ER for heat exhaustion, but on the plus side, I'll be 66 next week and I walked nearly 6 miles in over 90 degree heat in 2.5 hours. Guess I'll start marathon training next month when it cools down a little.

I didn't realize it was so windy during the dives, that is scary, but I'm not doing more than jumping off the side of a pool. 

And on the shallow side, I am still enjoying the teeny tiny suits of the men divers.

• Love 6

Marathon sex session splits up Brazilian synchronized diving duo: Link

I know there is a lot of sex at the Olympics, but why not hold off on the marathons until after your event is done? You worked your ass off to get to the games! Surely if you just wanted sex all along there were easier ways of achieving that goal.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, friendperidot said:

and a good portion of the evening, was in ER for heat exhaustion, but on the plus side, I'll be 66 next week and I walked nearly 6 miles in over 90 degree heat in 2.5 hours. Guess I'll start marathon training next month when it cools down a little.

Advice from a 68 yr. old:  take it easy, sit in the shade with a cold drink:) Hope you are feeling better.  Heat exhaustion is not a nice thing.

• Love 5

No U.S. men on the podium in the finals of the men's 3m springboard, so it's unlikely there is any coverage of the event until the fourth hour tonight, if any.  What a disappointing final round for Mike Hixon.  He won the silver in the synchro, and qualified here from the semifinals with the 4th best total, but just didn't have it in the finals.  The other U.S. diver, Kristian Ipsen, was good enough, just not spectacular, and finished in 5th.  Defending Gold Medallist Ilya Zakharov did a bellyflop in the semis and scored zero points for that dive and didn't even make it to the finals.

I found myself horribly annoyed by the Mexican fans, who blew these air horns just before and after the Mexican diver.  Those things should be outlawed at an event that requires lots of concentration.

Congrats to Cao Yuan for his win.  He was fantastic and his win is well deserved.

8 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

Marathon sex session splits up Brazilian synchronized diving duo: Link

I know there is a lot of sex at the Olympics, but why not hold off on the marathons until after your event is done? You worked your ass off to get to the games! Surely if you just wanted sex all along there were easier ways of achieving that goal.

Ah Brazilians. They certainly DO have their priorities, don't they?

• Love 3

And on the shallow side, I am still enjoying the teeny tiny suits of the men divers.

Is it possible that's why men's diving is being aired after midnight instead of during prime time coverage?

• Love 3
On 8/11/2016 at 2:09 PM, roamyn said:

I don't mind the Chinese dominating when Greg Louganis won every gold under the sun ftom late 70s to mid 80s (minus 1980 Olympics).

They're so impecable and beautiful to watch.

They are fantastic and beautiful. I would watch an entire competition of just Chinese divers. I wonder if their nationals are online? And, no, I don't think they are over scored. They are light-years ahead of everyone else and have worked their asses off to get as close to perfection as is possible. Funny how dominance is only a problem and somehow nefarious when it's not a Western country dominating. 

The US divers running their mouths about how they were prepared for the outdoor diving, but the Chinese wouldn't be, would be funny if it weren't so petty and pathetic. About all those gold medals...again. 

I would really like the judges to have monitors to see the head on view, as well as the side view. How many times does Cynthia mention that some flaw wouldn't be seen by the judges? 

• Love 1

In a bit of karmic justice, Ingrid Oliviera, the Brazilian diver who booted her synchro teammate and roommate from their room so she could have sex with her Brazilian canoeist boyfriend, did not make the finals of the 10m platform. She completely biffed a dive and hilariously landed on her back.  Maybe she should have waited until after the competition to have her marathon sexy times.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, roamyn said:

The N.Korean women's platform world champion hilariously did not make the semi's.

I wonder what Dear Leader says abt that? 

She probably will be stuck in a labor camp as well as her whole family.  Or summarily executed.  

• Love 1

Is there a reason that diving is being aired at such weird times? Why are the women's platform semifinals held at 6 AM (west coast)? Do they think Americans don't want to watch when American athletes aren't winning?

1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

Is there a reason that diving is being aired at such weird times? Why are the women's platform semifinals held at 6 AM (west coast)? Do they think Americans don't want to watch when American athletes aren't winning?

I imagine the schedule for events is set to accommodate people who are actually in Rio who want to attend in person.  I doubt very much that they care whether or not a West Coast American can watch live.   The semifinals are in the morning so they can have the finals in the afternoon.  You could always go to nbcolympics.com and watch the stream in its entirety at your own leisure.  Time zone differences are nothing new... when the Olympics are in Europe, sometimes medals are won before we even wake up

• Love 1

I imagine the schedule for events is set to accommodate people who are actually in Rio who want to attend in person.  I doubt very much that they care whether or not a West Coast American can watch live.   The semifinals are in the morning so they can have the finals in the afternoon.  You could always go to nbcolympics.com and watch the stream in its entirety at your own leisure.  Time zone differences are nothing new... when the Olympics are in Europe, sometimes medals are won before we even wake up

Well of course I understand the time zone differences. But for example we knew that the woman's gymnastic team won the team gold long before it aired on tv, but it still aired in prime time. The same with swimming. I was just confused as to why the same wasn't done with diving. I guess I thought it was a more popular sport than it really is lol.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

I used to dive, and I definitely think He Zi got a Diving While Chinese bonus in the springboard competition.  Otherwise, I think the Chinese women are usually really exquisite to watch.

Jessica Parratto was also totally underscored for her final dive in prelims today.  (A 7.5?  No.)

Diving is ho-hum boring to me, and I'll admit I don't follow nor care much.  But I have always found it interesting that we get the cameras following the divers sitting in the hot-tub and rinsing off under the showers.  Why do we get this???  For swimming, we never get any "behind the scenes" to see them cooling down in the practice pool or rinsing off.  Why is diving different?