Type keyword(s) to search

The Great DS9 Rewatch

I will totally do a re-watch. This is my favorite Star Trek series and I just started watching episode 1 this weekend.

I'm fixing the case of the topic title, BTW.

As we re-watch, we should create topics for each episode as we go. I think our current stance is that it is OK to refer to what has come before in each episode topic, but no to refer to future events.

• Love 1

Thanks for the title edit, Chip!

Rather than doing individual episode threads, would it make more sense to do a "Great DS9 Rewatch thread"? And should we think about about setting up a schedule? Is two episodes a week do-able for most people?

Edited by ShadowDenizen

The Previously.TV forums are different than the TWoP forums. The focus on re-watch posts is keeping it accessible for new readers and to avoid massive 100 or 1000 page long threads. The idea being, if a month or a year from now, someone wants to join in and catch up, they actually CAN. They would just follow along and read each thread as they got to that episode. This is how the Firefly and Veronica Mars re-watches were handled/are being handled.

I think two a week seems great. 

• Love 1

Seems like there is enough interest to begin an (unofficial) rewatch of DS9 from beginning to end. All are welcome to join in; I'm hoping this topic will get some lively discussion amongst fans old AND new!

I opened this thread to discuss the logistics of the rewatch (Episode Order, "Due Dates", questions, etc.)

The complete series is available in a number of formats, including online streaming/purchase (via Netflix, Amazon, etc.), or should be readily available on DVD as well.

For Season 1, the Episodes are:

• 101-102: "Emissary"  (DUE 04-25-14)
  • 103 "Past Prologue"   (DUE 04-25-14)
  • 104 "A Man Alone"  (DUE 05-02-14)
  • 105 "Babel"  (DUE 05-02-14)
  • 106 "Captive Pursuit"  (DUE 05-09-14)
  • 107 "Q-Less"  (DUE 05-09-14)
  • 108 "Dax"  (DUE 05-16-14)
  • 109 "The Passenger" (DUE 05-16-14)
  • 110 "Move Along Home"  (DUE 05-23-14)
  • 111 "The Nagus" (DUE 05-23-14)
  • 112 "Vortex" (DUE 05-30-14)
  • 113 "Battle Lines" (DUE 05-30-14)
  • 114 "The Storyteller" (DUE 06-06-14)
  • 115 "Progress" (DUE 06-06-14)
  • 116 "If Wishes Were Horses" (DUE 06-13-14)
  • 117 "The Forsaken" (DUE 06-13-14)
  • 118 "Dramatis Personae" (DUE 06-20-14)
  • 119 Duet (DUE 06-20-14)
  • 120 "In the Hands of the Prophets"

Tentatively, we're aiming for 2 episodes a week.  To try to gather more people for this, we'll give until 04-25-14 for people to watch "The Emissary" and "Past Prologue".

People can open individual threads for each episode as they finish them; in keeping with the spirit of the forums here, it makes sense to be able to refence current/previous events for each episode, but let's try to avoid spoilers (as I'm hoping we can even get some new converts onboard for this rewatch!!)

Edited by BizBuzz

We can use thetvd.com for episode numbers and titles when you create threads: DS9 at TheTVDb.

In each thread, only refer to the current and past episodes! We want people to be able to start whenever they want and we need to be new watcher friendly.

• Love 1

So glad I found this site (from mentions on TWOP) and this Forum. I recently obtained the DVDs and was just getting ready to start re-watching. This gives me more incentive to get started! This was my 2nd favorite series (after the original, of course.) I never had 'Star Trek' friends before so it will be nice to 'watch' with others and get other's thoughts and insights!

• Love 2

(I'm a TWOPer myself. This is my first post here. Yea!)

This sounds great. I look forward to the episode threads. Whoo hoo! DS9 is my favorite Star Trek. It's one of my favorite shows, period. I don't think there is a character I don't like (excluding one episode characters). Maybe I'll realize otherwise during the rewatch. Lol.

Edited by Meushell
  • Love 3

Chip, I am watching via Netflix as well.  I am thinking this is Netflix boo boo because according to TheTVDB, the order is the double Emissary Episode premier, then Past Prologue.  I will watch in that order.  Netflix does have A Man Alone as the next episode after Emissary.

Chip, I am with you, I thought I had said that, but in re-reading what I wrote, it wasn't very clear.  I am going in broadcast order.  This isn't the first time Netflix has been wrong with their order.

Welcome, one and all!  :)

I'm ecstatic that we're getting some interest in this; I hope we get a mix of viewers new and old, as I always enjoy seeing fresh perspectives on DS9! 

Looking forward to lots of stimulating conversation.

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 2

For those who want to participate in our 'Great DS9 Rewatch" from the ground floor, there's still time!

We're  watching  "Emissary" and "Past Prologue" this week; feel free to post in the threads that have been opened for both episodes (with thanks to Chip!) 

The next two epsiodes (beginning next week), will be "A Man Alone" and "Babel". (Thanks once more Chip for the awesome "Google Calendar" list; see the link in the very next post!)

Please remember to try and avoid spoilers for "Future" Rewatch episodes, as I'm happy to say we have at least a few NEW converts to DS9. (Note that there is a GENERAL DISCUSSION thread for Season 1, and we can also open open future seasons threads as they're needed.)

Edited by ShadowDenizen

This is great! I can't believe people are re watching and discussing DS9, which is one of my favorite shows ever. I would have never found this if TWOP wasn't going under.

My daughter (who was about 10 at the time) and I watched (re watched in my case) the series together about 3 years ago. She received about a dozen DS9 action figures for her birthday that year. :).

Now I have an excuse to watch it again.

• Love 1

Welcome @Bryce Lynch! So glad you found your way here!

Just so you know, I am involved in the rewatch, and I am a complete newbie to DS9. I am a Classic Trekkie, seen most of TNG, and Voyager, but not one episode of DS9 (well, I can't really say that anymore since I am watching and am up to Q-Less!). If you are anything like me, watching something you have seen many times before with new eyes is a blast!

(edited)
She received about a dozen DS9 action figures for her birthday that year. :).

Tell me she got a Tosk figure? The best DS9 figure of them all!  :)

And welcome aboard, BryceLynch; the more the merrier! Looking forward to your comments on the eps!

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 2

Tell me she got a Tosk figure? The best DS9 figure of them all! :)

And welcome aboard, BryceLynch; the more the merrier! Looking forward to your comments on the eps!

LOL. Not sure if she has Tosk. She does have most of the major characters. BTW, I saw a "Hunter of Tosk" action figure for sale on Amazon the other day. That might be even cooler than Tosk. :)

• Love 1

I am embarrassed to report I have not been keeping up with the rewatch of DS9 ... during the last week of May I got sucked into Six Feet Under and I just can't pull myself away yet.  Bear with me.  I am in the middle of Season 4, and there is only 5 seasons (of not more than 13 episodes each), so I am almost done, and then I will binge watch DS9 to get caught up.

(edited)

My apologies!

I've also been absent for a bit. (Real-Life issues cropped up.)

But welcome to BlueRay. Rhetorica and all the other new people joining the rewatch! Feel free to chime and add your thoughts on the episodes and the show overall!! (After all, Season 1 is really just the starting point; the show REALLY starts to ramp up in Season 2 and beyond!!)

To whet peoples appetites, here's the Season 2 listing.

(We'll add in watch-dates after we finish Season 1.)

• 201 "The Homecoming"
  • 202 "The Circle"
  • 203 "The Siege
  • 204 "Invasive Procedures"
  • 205 "Cardassians"
  • 206 "Melora"
  • 207 "Rules of Acquisition"
  • 208 "Necessary Evil"
  • 209 "Second Sight"
  • 210 "Sanctuary"
  • 211 "Rivals"
  • 212 "The Alternate"
  • 213 "Armageddon Game"
  • 214 "Whispers"
  • 215 "Paradise"
  • 216 "Shadowplay"
  • 217 "Playing God"
  • 218 "Profit and Loss"
  • 219 "Blood Oath"
  • 220 "The Maquis, Part I"
  • 221 "The Maquis, Part II"
  • 222 "The Wire"
  • 223 "Crossover"
  • 224 "The Collaborator"
  • 225 "Tribunal"
  • 226 "The Jem'Hadar"

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 2

"The Circle" and "The Siege" are the next 2 episodes.

I'll post threads for them early next week; let's give people a chance to play catch-up!

If somoene is particularly excited about these 2 eps and wants to open the threads in advance, however, I'm OK with that, too!  :)

Episode threads for 206 & 207 now posted.

I aplogize for the haphazardness lately!

But I thank everyone new and old who is still following along. I love reading comments from all of you on what episodes you liked/didn't like, and why. AND I've learned a few things along the way, as well!

Episode threads for 208 & 209 now posted.

As always, thank to everyone new and old who is still following along. I love reading comments from all of you on what episodes you liked/didn't like, and why. AND I've learned a few things along the way, as well!

Just a note to all (especially ShadowDenizen and Meushell - main thread creators!). I've created all of the episode threads for the rest of season 3. Looks like some people wanted to post in threads that didn't exist yet. So episode threads for the entire season 3 are now available for discussion. Happy watching!!

Why are there threads for seasons 8 and 9? As much as I would love for those to exist they don't lol.

*checks DVDs* Damn - you are right! Typo by me (the subforums have to be coded by someone else). I'll ask them to remove it - it may be a while though.

Yes, there are only SEVEN season of DS9, not nine. Duh. Is Corrected.

I just finished watching the series for the first time last night. I’ll leave out any real spoilers below.

So my journey that began last August is done. I started watching Deep Space Nine on Netflix because it was the only Star Trek show I never really watched, and I heard over the years that a lot of people liked it even more than the other shows. I had just finished a run of Buffy and Angel, and figured this would be a nice episodic diversion. I didn’t expect much more. And wow, I was wrong. I have always enjoyed Star Trek, but none of the other series had ever quite risen above good, even lovable, to truly great. Sure there are lots and lots of great episodes and great moments, some engaging story arcs, but I’m speaking of the series as a whole. Deep Space Nine really did go where no other Star Trek show had gone before. Sure it had a few clunkers, to be expected when you have 173 or whatever episodes, but there wasn’t a single episode that I could say I disliked. It was a story with a vision and a focus, an epic story that wasn’t just about one ship zipping around the galaxy, but about the whole Star Trek universe and how every civilization in it is connected. The Dominion was a truly great villain, as it allowed the show to explore the dynamics between humans, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, even Ferengi, as everyone chose sides in order to ally with or defeat this interloping antagonist. And it was the story of one man who was not merely a Starfleet captain, but a central figure in a galaxy-wide morality tale. The final arc to bring closure to the main story, as well as the finale itself, was deeply satisfying. It was a fantastic end to a terrific series. As the camera panned back from the station for the last time, it was impossible not to get choked up. These characters had been like friends for the past eight months, and I knew I was seeing them for the last time, save for reruns. Deep Space Nine really is one of my favorite experiences ever watching a tv show, and I miss it already.

Some final observations on the show’s characters and other things:

Kira and Odo: One of sweetest romances ever on tv. Individually, the actors brought amazing depth to their characters. It was Nana Visitor's performance in Duet that first grabbed my attention, fantastic episode. Odo is one of my favorite characters on any show ever, the list of his great moments in this series is a mile long. Together, they were beautiful, and their final scene was unforgettable.

Miles and Bashir: From romance to bromance. You could argue that Miles O’Brien saved the character of Dr. Bashir. Bashir’s friendship with the gruff Irishman transformed him from the smarmy Casanova of the first season into a real dude. Seriously, of all the relationships on this show, theirs was the best, and I looked forward to every episode that featured the two of them. Their final adventure together leading up to the finale was bittersweet for me, because I knew I wouldn’t get to see these two guys Butch and Sundance their way out of another jam again. If Star Trek had ever made a sitcom, I would want it to be these two sharing an apartment in 24th century New York after Keiko divorces Miles and Ezri dumps Bashir. Add Quark as the owner of a new bar they hang out at and you have comic gold.

Ezri: She was only on for one season and her story arc was rushed, but she made the most of it, and I really liked the character. The actress showed good range, and could even camp it up in that one mirror universe episode. She was also great eye candy as well. A shame she was only on for the one season, but she quickly fit in with the rest of the cast and was a joy to watch.

Worf: Like Miles, he was a carryover from TNG. I have always loved this character and Michael Dorn’s performance, with his strict code of honor, his sense of decency, and how easily he gets flustered at the antics of non-Klingons. I really enjoyed his relationship with Jadzia, and the way she pushed his buttons. They were a good match. I cheered for his good fortune after suffering so many setbacks during the show, and will really miss him.

Jadzia: She may have missed the final season, but I really liked Jadzia, a true tomboy who could play Tongo and drink with the boys. She always brightened any room she was in. My only critique of the finale was I didn’t see her included in that final montage. They could have had a shot of her with Worf in one of their happy moments, it was deserved.

Quark: The Ferengi were clearly meant to be comic relief, with their ridiculous appearance and their greedy, scheming ways. But the skilled hand of Armin Shimerman made Quark so much more. Whether it was watching him match wits against Odo or surprising you with a sudden act of decency or compassion, Quark had many layers and always kept you guessing. He was a delight to watch.

Garak: Words cannot express. Played by the incomparable Andrew J. Robinson, Garak elevated this show several notches in every episode he was a part of. Fascinating, multi-dimensional, and above all, entertaining.

Nog: This little guy actually had the most character growth of anyone on the show. He started as this obnoxious brat friend to Jake Sisko, and by the end had transformed into a war hero. I really enjoyed his evolution as a character and the actor who played him.

Dukat: He was such an amazing villain. He wasn’t just simply some Cardassian antagonist with a singular agenda, but a character with deep emotional and psychological issues, a sociopath with a sliver of consciousness that could never quite surface before he plunged back into his evil ways. His rivalry with Sisko was legendary. As with any truly great tv villain, you both hated him and loved him, and looked forward to any episode he was in.

Kai Winn: Yes, she was Nurse Ratched in space, but a delightful villain who made you cringe whenever she walked into a room. The tension between her and Kira you could cut with a knife. Even their hellos were tension-filled.

The Dominion: OMG Weyoun! Where do I start? Never have I enjoyed a villain more than this guy. Oily, duplicitous, thoroughly enchanting and engaging while at the same time deliciously evil. He can smile at you charmingly while you can almost see the diabolical thoughts going on in that head of his. Female Shapeshifter with her hypocritical rationalizations for her actions, evil to the core while maintaining her mantle of righteous entitlement. The Dominion truly was the greatest antagonist of all the Star Trek series, better than the Borg imo.

Other Recurring Characters: Damar’s evolution from Dukat’s sidekick to Dominion lapdog to war hero was a treat to watch. His portrayal was believable and his final performances were riveting. A very memorable character. Eddington’s rivalry with Sisko was terrific, he never gave an inch and really gave Sisko a run for his money. I really enjoyed their dialogue when the two of them were in the same room together. Martok was the quintessential Klingon, full of the usual Klingon bluster and exclamations about honor, but without becoming a caricature. You could feel his love for Worf, his dedication to family, his loyalty to his people above all else. A truly great man.

And lastly, SISKO: He was the greatest captain of all the Star Trek shows. Why? Because he wasn’t just a captain. He was the emissary. He was a father. On the other Star Trek shows you had the rogue, the benevolent dictator, the house mother, the frat boy. All of them more-or-less fitting into their defined trope or stereotype. But Sisko broke the mold. In some episodes he was the embodiment of Starfleet. In others he was the hardboiled military man. In others he was the over-protective father. And in others he was the whimsical emissary, trying to understand what the universe was all about and his role in it. He was by the book at times, while other times he crossed the line of moral and ethical ambiguity. Several times he asked himself and asked us, does the end really justify the means? He was human, and Avery Brooks portrayed his humanity fabulously.

I was so glad that they concluded the main plot ten minutes before the end of the finale, giving us a full ten minutes to say goodbye to these great characters. I shed some tears…manly man tears! I will never forget my first run through this amazing show. Thanks for listening to my rambling tribute.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 7

Its interesting in hindsight seeing how Duet, Darkness and the Light, and Waltz form an loose Cardassian trilogy of sorts, essentially examining three different responses to the Occupation: A lowly bureaucrat willing to sacrifice himself to redeem the holocaust by his people, a bitter man caught in the crossfire selectively targeting specific guilty parties, and a high ranking dictator embracing what he sees as the collective inferiority/victim status of the Bajorans.

While the real Kira only actually appears in the first two episodes, her role in each (wounded seeker of justice, unrepentant freedom fighter, arrogant/mocking terrorist) reflects how she's seen by the respective Cardassian in each episode. Its a great touch that reflects the nature of her character.

• Love 2

I just finished watching the series for the first time last night. I’ll leave out any real spoilers below.

So my journey that began last August is done. I started watching Deep Space Nine on Netflix because it was the only Star Trek show I never really watched, and I heard over the years that a lot of people liked it even more than the other shows. I had just finished a run of Buffy and Angel, and figured this would be a nice episodic diversion. I didn’t expect much more. And wow, I was wrong. I have always enjoyed Star Trek, but none of the other series had ever quite risen above good, even lovable, to truly great. Sure there are lots and lots of great episodes and great moments, some engaging story arcs, but I’m speaking of the series as a whole. Deep Space Nine really did go where no other Star Trek show had gone before. Sure it had a few clunkers, to be expected when you have 173 or whatever episodes, but there wasn’t a single episode that I could say I disliked. It was a story with a vision and a focus, an epic story that wasn’t just about one ship zipping around the galaxy, but about the whole Star Trek universe and how every civilization in it is connected. The Dominion was a truly great villain, as it allowed the show to explore the dynamics between humans, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, even Ferengi, as everyone chose sides in order to ally with or defeat this interloping antagonist. And it was the story of one man who was not merely a Starfleet captain, but a central figure in a galaxy-wide morality tale. The final arc to bring closure to the main story, as well as the finale itself, was deeply satisfying. It was a fantastic end to a terrific series. As the camera panned back from the station for the last time, it was impossible not to get choked up. These characters had been like friends for the past eight months, and I knew I was seeing them for the last time, save for reruns. Deep Space Nine really is one of my favorite experiences ever watching a tv show, and I miss it already.

Some final observations on the show’s characters and other things:

Kira and Odo: One of sweetest romances ever on tv. Individually, the actors brought amazing depth to their characters. It was Nana Visitor's performance in Duet that first grabbed my attention, fantastic episode. Odo is one of my favorite characters on any show ever, the list of his great moments in this series is a mile long. Together, they were beautiful, and their final scene was unforgettable.

Miles and Bashir: From romance to bromance. You could argue that Miles O’Brien saved the character of Dr. Bashir. Bashir’s friendship with the gruff Irishman transformed him from the smarmy Casanova of the first season into a real dude. Seriously, of all the relationships on this show, theirs was the best, and I looked forward to every episode that featured the two of them. Their final adventure together leading up to the finale was bittersweet for me, because I knew I wouldn’t get to see these two guys Butch and Sundance their way out of another jam again. If Star Trek had ever made a sitcom, I would want it to be these two sharing an apartment in 24th century New York after Keiko divorces Miles and Ezri dumps Bashir. Add Quark as the owner of a new bar they hang out at and you have comic gold.

Ezri: She was only on for one season and her story arc was rushed, but she made the most of it, and I really liked the character. The actress showed good range, and could even camp it up in that one mirror universe episode. She was also great eye candy as well. A shame she was only on for the one season, but she quickly fit in with the rest of the cast and was a joy to watch.

Worf: Like Miles, he was a carryover from TNG. I have always loved this character and Michael Dorn’s performance, with his strict code of honor, his sense of decency, and how easily he gets flustered at the antics of non-Klingons. I really enjoyed his relationship with Jadzia, and the way she pushed his buttons. They were a good match. I cheered for his good fortune after suffering so many setbacks during the show, and will really miss him.

Jadzia: She may have missed the final season, but I really liked Jadzia, a true tomboy who could play Tongo and drink with the boys. She always brightened any room she was in. My only critique of the finale was I didn’t see her included in that final montage. They could have had a shot of her with Worf in one of their happy moments, it was deserved.

Quark: The Ferengi were clearly meant to be comic relief, with their ridiculous appearance and their greedy, scheming ways. But the skilled hand of Armin Shimerman made Quark so much more. Whether it was watching him match wits against Odo or surprising you with a sudden act of decency or compassion, Quark had many layers and always kept you guessing. He was a delight to watch.

Garak: Words cannot express. Played by the incomparable Andrew J. Robinson, Garak elevated this show several notches in every episode he was a part of. Fascinating, multi-dimensional, and above all, entertaining.

Nog: This little guy actually had the most character growth of anyone on the show. He started as this obnoxious brat friend to Jake Sisko, and by the end had transformed into a war hero. I really enjoyed his evolution as a character and the actor who played him.

Dukat: He was such an amazing villain. He wasn’t just simply some Cardassian antagonist with a singular agenda, but a character with deep emotional and psychological issues, a sociopath with a sliver of consciousness that could never quite surface before he plunged back into his evil ways. His rivalry with Sisko was legendary. As with any truly great tv villain, you both hated him and loved him, and looked forward to any episode he was in.

Kai Winn: Yes, she was Nurse Ratched in space, but a delightful villain who made you cringe whenever she walked into a room. The tension between her and Kira you could cut with a knife. Even their hellos were tension-filled.

The Dominion: OMG Weyoun! Where do I start? Never have I enjoyed a villain more than this guy. Oily, duplicitous, thoroughly enchanting and engaging while at the same time deliciously evil. He can smile at you charmingly while you can almost see the diabolical thoughts going on in that head of his. Female Shapeshifter with her hypocritical rationalizations for her actions, evil to the core while maintaining her mantle of righteous entitlement. The Dominion truly was the greatest antagonist of all the Star Trek series, better than the Borg imo.

Other Recurring Characters: Damar’s evolution from Dukat’s sidekick to Dominion lapdog to war hero was a treat to watch. His portrayal was believable and his final performances were riveting. A very memorable character. Eddington’s rivalry with Sisko was terrific, he never gave an inch and really gave Sisko a run for his money. I really enjoyed their dialogue when the two of them were in the same room together. Martok was the quintessential Klingon, full of the usual Klingon bluster and exclamations about honor, but without becoming a caricature. You could feel his love for Worf, his dedication to family, his loyalty to his people above all else. A truly great man.

And lastly, SISKO: He was the greatest captain of all the Star Trek shows. Why? Because he wasn’t just a captain. He was the emissary. He was a father. On the other Star Trek shows you had the rogue, the benevolent dictator, the house mother, the frat boy. All of them more-or-less fitting into their defined trope or stereotype. But Sisko broke the mold. In some episodes he was the embodiment of Starfleet. In others he was the hardboiled military man. In others he was the over-protective father. And in others he was the whimsical emissary, trying to understand what the universe was all about and his role in it. He was by the book at times, while other times he crossed the line of moral and ethical ambiguity. Several times he asked himself and asked us, does the end really justify the means? He was human, and Avery Brooks portrayed his humanity fabulously.

I was so glad that they concluded the main plot ten minutes before the end of the finale, giving us a full ten minutes to say goodbye to these great characters. I shed some tears…manly man tears! I will never forget my first run through this amazing show. Thanks for listening to my rambling tribute.

@Dobian, with all of these characters mentioned, you left out one.  I assume Jake's exclusion means he left no impression on you?

I liked Jake in the early seasons. His relationship with his dad felt real, and was unlike anything ever seen in a Star Trek series. Mainly because Star Trek just doesn't do parent/child relationships. I loved the episode where they fly the replica of the ancient Bajoran glider to Cardassian space. What disappointed me was episodes like that were rare as the years went by, and the father/son dynamic which should have evolved got shunted to the side. And I think part of it was because the actor didn't grow with the role. He was great as a kid, but when he hit his teens he wasn't so great anymore. I've seen this happen on other shows with child actors growing up. Notice how Nog was Jake's goofy sidekick, but whose role grew exponentially in the later seasons? Nog's. At the same time, Jake's role shrank. I still liked Jake, and he had some nice moments with his dad near the end, but I thought there could have been more.

• Love 1

I liked Jake in the early seasons. His relationship with his dad felt real, and was unlike anything ever seen in a Star Trek series. Mainly because Star Trek just doesn't do parent/child relationships. I loved the episode where they fly the replica of the ancient Bajoran glider to Cardassian space. What disappointed me was episodes like that were rare as the years went by, and the father/son dynamic which should have evolved got shunted to the side. And I think part of it was because the actor didn't grow with the role. He was great as a kid, but when he hit his teens he wasn't so great anymore. I've seen this happen on other shows with child actors growing up. Notice how Nog was Jake's goofy sidekick, but whose role grew exponentially in the later seasons? Nog's. At the same time, Jake's role shrank. I still liked Jake, and he had some nice moments with his dad near the end, but I thought there could have been more.

I thought the writers made a mistake with having Jake be a writer, of all things.  He could've gone into Starfleet like Nog did.  Becoming a writer limited him, and I think that's what caused him to be virtually backgrounded.

(edited)

I thought the writers made a mistake with having Jake be a writer, of all things.  He could've gone into Starfleet like Nog did.  Becoming a writer limited him, and I think that's what caused him to be virtually backgrounded.

I think the reason the writers didn't have Jake go into Starfleet (as Sisko had hoped) was to avoid turning him into Wesley Crusher 2.0.  It would have been too unbelievable a trope to have a Starfleet brat like Jake follow in his father's footsteps when he was clearly so much more like his mother.  It worked with Nog because Nog believably wanted to break away from the Ferengi tradition of going into business because he'd seen what that had done to his father and wanted to avoid the same dead-end fate for himself.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3