Type keyword(s) to search

Pool and Open Water Swimming: Do Not Swallow the Water

WTF Katey Ledecky? You were just kidding around with your amazing heat this morning, huh? Smashed the world record by a body length, and beat her nearest competitor by ~5 seconds??

• Love 9
Just now, emma675 said:

What's with all of the cupping bruises on swimmers this Olympics? Is that a new thing? I don't remember noticing it during the last summer Games.

It's like the new fad of swim physiotherapy. Sort of like how everyone has to be gluten free nowadays.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

What's with all of the cupping bruises on swimmers this Olympics? Is that a new thing? I don't remember noticing it during the last summer Games.

probably just the cupping massage to stay loose?

8 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

WTF Katey Ledecky? You were just kidding around with your amazing heat this morning, huh? Smashed the world record by a body length, and beat her nearest competitor by ~5 seconds??

The past three years, Ledecky and Simone Biles have been Legends 1 and 1A. And yep, Ledecky already had Greatest of All Time status coming in to Rio, no matter how NBC wants to spin it.

• Love 5

I said in the media thread there needs to be a drinking game where we drink every time phelps is mention but unfortunately we would all be too drunk to comment with in a half hour of coverage starting each day

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I mean, yay USA, but I am so tired about hearing about Phelps. Why don't I like him? Can't pinpoint it.

I don't know.  when you figure it out let me know because I don't like him either. 

• Love 3

Certainly constant hyping can irritate any of us (it does me), but then I see Phelps swim again and I realize... he's got the stuff, he's not being oversold. What a relay.

• Love 24
2 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I mean, yay USA, but I am so tired about hearing about Phelps. Why don't I like him? Can't pinpoint it.

I have a love/hate relationship with Phelps. I love him most when he is winning and whenever I hear Lochte speak.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

The constant overhype is a reason why I don't like him.   I don't like his character much, either.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

The constant overhype is a reason why I don't like him.   I don't like his character much, either.

Basically he's very boring. That's what I don't like about him. He's like a dolphin without the dolphins' fun, extroverted personality.

• Love 10

Odd girl out, but he's one of my favorite Olympic athletes ever and so many of my favorite Olympic moments involve watching him swim. He has more gold medals than 172 of the countries competing at the Olympics, which blows my mind. I'm really glad I get to watch him for one more Olympics.

• Love 24
36 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Certainly constant hyping can irritate any of us (it does me), but then I see Phelps swim again and I realize... he's got the stuff, he's not being oversold. What a relay.

That's exactly where I am. People can be cynical and call him overhyped or oversold, but he's Michael frickin' Phelps. I want him to get all the medals! It makes me sad to think that I won't be seeing him swim in four years.

• Love 17

Damn the feels and the dust flying around my house during the 4x100 medal ceremony watching Ryan Held not being able to hold it together. His teammates were so cute with him when they realized he was crying. 

Its not Phelps hyping himself just NBC doing it. That what saves my phelps love

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 10
57 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Exactly. I mean, did you see him explode off the wall after his turn? Mr. Tanyak and I almost yelled in tandem "Damn!" And he did just win his 19th Olympic gold medal. 

I totally get how the hype can be annoying because I've definitely rolled my eyes a bit. But ALL of that is really aimed at Rowdy Gaines and NBC.* I don't think Phelps is particularly comfortable going on and on about himself. And I think he tends to bring it back to the whole team. I'm glad he's in a better place now with his fiance and his adorable baby. Looks like he's reconnected with his dad. All good for him. Rowdy can stop hyperventilating any time now, though. lol 

*And they're starting to pick up similar steam with Katie Ledecky...

• Love 5

I could not believe how much of a lead that Ledecky had on the other competitors.

The Men's 4x100m freestyle relay was very exciting. Say what you will about Phelps, but I think he was pretty pivotal in gaining a big lead with the other teams.

1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

Some of the swimming commentators mentioned early on that we'd be seeing the results of cupping that many of them have done to relieve pain or tension.

I've had cupping sessions. I'm not an athlete, but I have a desk job where I'm at the computer all day. My shoulders and wrists usually hurt. Cupping has helped with that. It also helps with circulation too. So I can see why the swimming team has been experimenting with that. It can be a very effective tool. The "bruising" fades away in a couple of days. There is no lasting visible scar/discoloration.

I read a few articles on the US men's swim team, and it looks like many of them use the plastic suction method. Phelps used the heating method (basically fire is used to create the suction instead of a pump). It's usually more effective but creates a more visible "bruise."

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Damn the feels and the dust flying around my house during the 4x100 medal ceremony watching Ryan Held not being able to hold it together. His teammates were so cute with him when they realized he was crying. 

Its not Phelps hyping himself just NBC doing it. That what saves my phelps love

Except he and his coach recently admitted how much they played into the PR machine in 2012. Michael was blowing off practice and arguing with his coach, but when the NBC cameras came around it was business as usual. As much as I would like to appreciate his candor now, I feel like I can't trust it. What will he say four years from now?

The Phelps/NBC machine benefits them both. NBC gets a marque name that plays along. Phelps gets special treatment (like an early exit from the Opening Ceremonies per Yahoo) and they give him a very marketable image. Mostly I think it's understandable on both ends so I don't really blame them. Having stars like Phelps bring in viewers and he plays the part well. Certainly better than Lochte did. Sometimes they push it a little too hard. As others have said, at least Phelps backs it up by actually putting out great performances. 

Two swimming questions involving doping -  what did they mean when they mentioned the Chinese swimmer served a secret suspension (or something along those lines)?  How do we know the suspension was actually served?  And why were the East German female swimmers allowed to keep the medals they won in '76 after all of the facts of the systemic doping program in their country were uncovered?

I really like Rowdy Gaines, because in some run-up event or other, he went on an extended rant about how women's sports were every bit as exciting as the men's and the women don't get anywhere near the level of respect that they deserve.

Cody Miller's response to winning a bronze was adorable.  

WTF, Katie Ledecky?  FIVE SECONDS?  OMG. 

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

19 gold medals is not overhype by any means. Media overload, definitely, but that's pretty much with anything these days with annoying social media making things worse. NBC is milking Phelps' last Olympics for all its worth, which sucks. Much like their primetime coverage. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Nineteen gold medals is insane, for sure.  And no doubt Michael Phelps is an incredible swimmer.  I love watching him race.  The way he pulled away from the field in that relay shows what a fierce competitor he is.

The extreme hype that he (and his mother) happily feed into wears, big time.  I don't call it overhype, because he absolutely is the greatest Olympic swimmer, ever.  But the constant pimping by NBC, to the detriment of his teammates, is not a good look.  And while he may not be initiating it (anymore), I do feel like he could shut it down and he doesn't.  JMHO.

You know what would be awesome?  If he/the media acknowledged (and maybe he has) that while his medal count is amazing, it's only possible because he's in a sport that has many chances to medal in a single Olympics.  It's not like he's won 19 decathlons.  (TBH, I hate "medal counts" in general, for just this reason.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I refuse to take anything Efimova does seriously. If she wins gold tomorrow, that's going to be fun.

She was roundly razzed by the crowd, and Lilly King's smack in the holding room was classic. 

And as she said about Efimova to Michelle Tafoya: "You've been caught for drug cheating. I'm not a fan." That 100m breaststroke final is going to be war. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
edited to add video
  • Love 9

Great night for swimming! As much as I was rooting for Dana Vollmer, it was really exciting to see Sarah Sjostrom get the gold and set a new WR. 

Loved how excited Adam Peaty was about his race-- and Cody Miller!! Love that he was so excited about his bronze (and he should be!). Great sportsmanship! 

I could kiss Rowdy Gaines when he talked about Ledecky (not verbatim): "some people says she swims like a man. No! She swims like Katie Ledecky!" Thank you! Also, frankly, she just killed the 400 free final; it's freaking amazing. She is so freaking amazing. I kind of wish she could jump into the men's 1500 since the women don't contest it at the Olympics. 

4x100 relay is always amazing-- fantastic race! 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, kittykat said:

GOLD!  US taking it back from the French.

Oh and NBC, yes it's great that Michael won another gold. You know who else it's great for, THE OTHER THREE SWIMMERS!

Wait, what? There were other swimmers involved? 

• Love 8

You'll never guess what the first words out of the Australian commentator Basil Zempilas's mouth were after the men's 4x100m freestyle relay: "And Michael Phelps has his 19th gold medal!" Yes, US folk, the disease has even infected Australia's normally uber-jingoistic swimming commentators!

Meanwhile, I got a real kick out of learning this today.

12593610_1674456932878085_5813014292636553081_o.jpg

Edited by katisha
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, kittykat said:

Oh and NBC, yes it's great that Michael won another gold. You know who else it's great for, THE OTHER THREE SWIMMERS!

I was listening to NPR while driving to work this morning and it was the same thing, all about Phelps and no mention of the other three swimmers in the relay. 

Cody Miller's response to winning a bronze was adorable.  

Probably my favorite moment of the games thus far.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, photo fox said:

Nineteen gold medals is insane, for sure.  And no doubt Michael Phelps is an incredible swimmer.  I love watching him race.  The way he pulled away from the field in that relay shows what a fierce competitor he is.

The extreme hype that he (and his mother) happily feed into wears, big time.  I don't call it overhype, because he absolutely is the greatest Olympic swimmer, ever.  But the constant pimping by NBC, to the detriment of his teammates, is not a good look.  And while he may not be initiating it (anymore), I do feel like he could shut it down and he doesn't.  JMHO.

You know what would be awesome?  If he/the media acknowledged (and maybe he has) that while his medal count is amazing, it's only possible because he's in a sport that has many chances to medal in a single Olympics.  It's not like he's won 19 decathlons.  (TBH, I hate "medal counts" in general, for just this reason.)

Someone (another US swimmer, maybe) made some comment about "all Michael's been through since the last Olympics" and I said to the tv: "You mean his second drunk driving arrest?  Yeah, color me unimpressed."

• Love 7

The drunk driving arrest for Phelps was apparently the low point in some really awful depression problems that were going down the self-harm road. I'm not sure if it was quite suicidal but it was headed in that direction.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, selkie said:

The drunk driving arrest for Phelps was apparently the low point in some really awful depression problems that were going down the self-harm road. I'm not sure if it was quite suicidal but it was headed in that direction.

Thank you, I was going to post that. Depression is a pretty big deal and can happen to anyone regardless of how much they have accomplished. I'm glad he came back from such a dark place to enjoy his last Olympics. Hope he continues to get the help that he needs.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, photo fox said:

I feel the same way. Yeah it's amazing to win that many gold medals but does that make him a better Olympian than for example Steve Redgrave, who 'only' has 5 gold medals?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

God, I hate Michael Phelps.  I know it's not logical to hate someone I've never met, but there it is.

I don't know much about Michael Phelps. But I agree that rightly or wrongly, sometimes people you don't know from Adam just rub you the wrong way. I've often been pleasantly surprised, though, when people I thought I hated (like John Legend) turned out to be really cool people. 

7 minutes ago, twoods said:

Thank you, I was going to post that. Depression is a pretty big deal and can happen to anyone regardless of how much they have accomplished. I'm glad he came back from such a dark place to enjoy his last Olympics. Hope he continues to get the help that he needs.

I listened to an NPR interview a few years ago (I guess NPR loves Michael Phelps), and Michael Phelps's swimming coach bragged about a time during Michael's childhood when he didn't miss one day of swim practice for six years straight. That means that despite whatever else was going on in Michael's young life: illness, injury, sadness, grief, summer camp, another sport (yeah, right.), standardized testing at school, camping trips with the family, etc--he had to get into the pool that day and practice. I'm sure there was some amount of self-motivation, especially as he got older, but I'm loathe to believe that an eight-year-old boy with a stomach virus would still want to spend 1-2 hours in the pool doing laps and drills.  So his parents were pushing him hard--as is the case with most Olympic athletes, I'm sure. And it's great that Michael Phelps is as accomplished as he is, but I'm not surprised to hear that he struggles with depression. 

I laughed and cried last night with the relay team as they stood on the podium with their gold medals, listening to the US National Anthem. The guy to the right of Michael Phelps (I don't know his name) was balling his eyes out, and the guy to the left of Michael Phelps (don't know his name, either) was trying really hard not to laugh at his teammate. Hilarious. It was like watching the cast of SNL or The Carol Burnett Show trying not to break during a funny sketch.

• Love 3

I'm not a Michael Phelps fan.  I think his medals are an impressive accomplishment, but I'm tired of the media overhype and the fact that so much time is being spent on him that it leaves much less time for others.  I agree with the sentiment above that he certainly doesn't seem to be doing anything to discourage it.  And after the relay win and the shot of his wife, baby and mom in the stands, it really brought back to me how much I loathed Debbie Phelps at the last Olympics.  

I'm sorry to hear that he had depression and suicidal thoughts, but that doesn't give him a pass on his drunk driving.  I find it interesting that I haven't heard much in the media about his six-month suspension by USA Swimming for his drunk driving.  Drunk driving.  An act which could have seriously hurt or killed others.  Yet every time Sun Yang or Yulia Efimova step foot on the pool deck, there's Rowdy and Dan talking about secret suspensions and doping ad nauseum. 

For what it's worth, I think Sun Yang and Yulia Efimova have no business being at the Games, and I am appalled that FINA is allowing them to compete.  I'm glad that Efimova is getting booed by the crowd.  But I don't understand why their misdeeds are constantly highlighted by Nothing But Countrymen and yet Phelps gets a pass.  The deification of Phelps is supremely irritating.

I'm trying to figure out of Adam Peaty is somehow a secret U.S. citizen.  Because curiously, NBC seems to love him and keeps talking about him.  Yet there was considerably less excitement and enthusiasm for Sarah Sjostrom or that Hungarian girl when they set their world records.  Particularly the Hungarian girl, who was just as dominant as Katie Ledecky over the rest of the field.

Speaking of Katie Ledecky.... yeech.  She's an incredible swimmer, but four years later and she's just as unfortunate looking as she was in London.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm sorry to hear that he had depression and suicidal thoughts, but that doesn't give him a pass on his drunk driving.

My stepsister was killed by a drunk driver so I have zero tolerance for it.  No pass to Phelps whatsoever.

For the record, Blackwing, I completely agree with your entire post.  If I could like it more than once I would.

• Love 8

From what I've read, there's been major concerns about Bob Bowman's training methods. Yes he produced Michael Phelps but other swimmers who trained with him burned out quick. From what I understand, Michael was basically isolated from peers, school, any semblance of "normal life" for most of his adolescence and going into adult life. After London he basically had no idea what to do. He has no life skills, barely any education, and making appearances isn't a life. Not a surprise he spiraled into depression and substance abuse. I don't agree that 19 gold medals is enough to justify an adult who has no other skills besides swimming.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, tanyak said:

All good for him. Rowdy can stop hyperventilating any time now, though. lol 

I can't help but love Rowdy and his enthusiasm. For me, he's like the Andres Cantor of swimming. They both crack me up.

• Love 3

While I agree that drunk driving is a serious issue and his suspension could be mention, but Sun Yang or Yulia Efimova took drugs that altered out comes of races.  They cheated.  Phelps was an ass and f*cked up royally but his actions did not affect the winning or losing of anyone else.  He tarnished his image and broke the law which was dealt with.  He did not cheat in a sport and then allowed to compete in the same sport. I am of the opinion once caught using steroids, they should not be allowed in the Olympics, american T&F athletes included 

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm not a Michael Phelps fan.  I think his medals are an impressive accomplishment, but I'm tired of the media overhype and the fact that so much time is being spent on him that it leaves much less time for others.  I agree with the sentiment above that he certainly doesn't seem to be doing anything to discourage it.  And after the relay win and the shot of his wife, baby and mom in the stands, it really brought back to me how much I loathed Debbie Phelps at the last Olympics.  

I'm sorry to hear that he had depression and suicidal thoughts, but that doesn't give him a pass on his drunk driving.  I find it interesting that I haven't heard much in the media about his six-month suspension by USA Swimming for his drunk driving.  Drunk driving.  An act which could have seriously hurt or killed others.  Yet every time Sun Yang or Yulia Efimova step foot on the pool deck, there's Rowdy and Dan talking about secret suspensions and doping ad nauseum.

I am also not a Phelps fan and I know his achievements are great. He also does not necessarily sound like an asshole either all the time, but the drunk driving thing bothered me a lot. It is sad that his training or his career as a swimmer has caused him these issues. One of the reasons I was turned off by Phelps early on is that I remember how male swimming was before Phelps. It had its stars, but the media overhype both in the USA and internationally does leave much less time for others. I do not necessarily think it actually makes the sport better to have them hype this one athlete for dominating most of the male swimming events. There are different competitors with different styles in every competition such as swimming and since Phelps has been on the scene, those athletes have been overshadowed.

4 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

While I agree that drunk driving is a serious issue and his suspension could be mention, but Sun Yang or Yulia Efimova took drugs that altered out comes of races.  They cheated.  Phelps was an ass and f*cked up royally but his actions did not affect the winning or losing of anyone else.  He tarnished his image and broke the law which was dealt with.  He did not cheat in a sport and then allowed to compete in the same sport. I am of the opinion once caught using steroids, they should not be allowed in the Olympics, american T&F athletes included 

I do not think anyone is actually saying that Phelps is as bad as drug or steroid users for competing in the games. Phelps has his fans and he also has his non-fans. I agree than Sun and Elfimova are worse athletes. We can dislike them all for different reasons.

• Love 4