Type keyword(s) to search

Pool and Open Water Swimming: Do Not Swallow the Water

1 hour ago, jjj said:

Yes, he saw the results, and immediately went over to Schooling to congratulate him.  Then later, NBC showed the picture of Phelps and Schooling from 2008 -- it was adorable! 

Michael posted a picture of him congratulating Joseph on his Instagram today and said they have an updated pic. Cute.

He also did a Facebook Live chat this afternoon. It was fun to see the interaction of the guys sharing their room. They seem like a fun bunch. Michael said he thinks he could beat Katie in the 400 because he's finished it in 3:49 (Katie's record is 3:56), but she'd whoop him in anything above 400m. He also was insistent that he won't be competing in Japan. He had to say it about 50 times because people kept asking in the chat and even his roommates started chanting "four more years." LOL. However, he seems really at peace with his decision, so good for him, though I'm really going to miss seeing him compete. 

• Love 10

No worries, I'm sure NBC will still talk about Phelps in the 2020 games as much as these games even when he's not there. Who cares about the swimmers who are there, what really matters is that Phelps isn't! They'll do a major 30 minute fluff piece on Boomer the 4 year old and probably his younger brother/sister and how they are natural floaters in the kiddie pool. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

No worries, I'm sure NBC will still talk about Phelps in the 2020 games as much as these games even when he's not there. Who cares about the swimmers who are there, what really matters is that Phelps isn't! They'll do a major 30 minute fluff piece on Boomer the 4 year old and probably his younger brother/sister and how they are natural floaters in the kiddie pool. 

Super!  I'm sure Michael will not be swimming in the 2020 Olympics, but I will look forward to updates.  I look forward to hearing about his next steps, whether it is coaching or something else. 

One of the great things about the Olympics is that we end up learning about people we never heard about if we do not follow specific sports throughout the various competitions -- and some of the new people each year are amazing! 

• Love 7

I actively disliked Michael Phelps when he beat Mark Spitz's record.  He seemed arrogant then.

Now, he's matured and is actually fun to watch.  I don't mind seeing Nicole & Boomer, but NO MORE DEBBIE!

But I love seeing other contestants, esp from other countries.

I remember the days when the media would show the medal ceremony from other countries and I miss that.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

That's like some of the headlines I saw this morning.  In case anyone was wondering apparently nobody won the gold last night as Phelps (with no mention of le Clos or Czeh) had to settle for silver.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, jjj said:

Super!  I'm sure Michael will not be swimming in the 2020 Olympics, but I will look forward to updates.  I look forward to hearing about his next steps, whether it is coaching or something else. 

One of the great things about the Olympics is that we end up learning about people we never heard about if we do not follow specific sports throughout the various competitions -- and some of the new people each year are amazing! 

If his updates are Olympic-related that's fine. Otherwise, people can just google whichever former Olympic athletes' lives they're curious about. I'll say for sure, I squeal with delight at any precious few seconds that they even mention Peirsol's name (I don't think they showed much footage from '00/'04/'08 for mens backstroke, but maybe it was hidden in there amongst the Phelps tongue-bathing). But I also want the Olympic games to be about the current athletes. They deserve their own time in the spotlight, even if they're not as magical as Phelpsie. It really would be a shame to spend much more time reminiscing about Phelps at the next Olympics than highlighting other rising stars (or surprise stars). Part of what makes the Olympics appealing, in theory, is that you get (or should be) exposed to other athletes. Ugh, I hate the obnoxious flawed media coverage. They'll most likely talk about Phelps during the Winter Olympics too. 

• Love 5

I hope Nicole has a strong constitution, because I have a feeling Debbie Phelps is going to be an absolute nightmare of a mother-in-law. She seems like the type who will interfere and undermine her son's wife at every turn. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's just the vibe I get.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I hope Nicole has a strong constitution, because I have a feeling Debbie Phelps is going to be an absolute nightmare of a mother-in-law. She seems like the type who will interfere and undermine her son's wife at every turn. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's just the vibe I get.

Well one thing i notice is that Nicole is usually very calm during races. Poker faced. It might be that she has a 3 month old toddler sleeping in her arms but she definitely seems different from Debbie, and that's probably what Michael wants/needs. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Well one thing i notice is that Nicole is usually very calm during races. Poker faced. It might be that she has a 3 month old toddler sleeping in her arms but she definitely seems different from Debbie, and that's probably what Michael wants/needs. 

51 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't get that vibe at all -- in fact, I was surprised at how affectionate they were at the races!  (Debbie and Nicole) And Debbie has other grandchildren, so this is not a new gig for her.  That baby seems remarkably calm, especially given all the commotion and screaming.  If he cried, I missed it. 

I wouldn't dare speculate on the relationship between Debbie and Nicole, and I don't care.  All I know is, I'll be glad when we leave swimming and the camera is off of them for good.  And put little Boomer to bed.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, jjj said:

I don't get that vibe at all -- in fact, I was surprised at how affectionate they were at the races!  (Debbie and Nicole) And Debbie has other grandchildren, so this is not a new gig for her.  That baby seems remarkably calm, especially given all the commotion and screaming.  If he cried, I missed it. 

Babies that young have a remarkable way of being able to tune stuff like that out so they can focus on the important stuff at that age: eating, sleeping, and diaper filling.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I've seen the exact opposite. NBC has shown replay of Nicole yelling during the races.

Go Simone!  She got a silver in the 50.  It was soooooo close. Damn.  I can't hate on the Denmark woman though because she looks like she can't believe she won, and it's their first medal in this event.  

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

The 50m races are so freaking fun. I wish there could be more of them somehow. Congrats to Pernille Blume! And goooooo Simone! I'm so incredibly proud of her.

a 4x50 relay!!

1 minute ago, SnideAsides said:

Huge LOL that, after all the drama between Mack Horton and Sun Yang, we aren't getting the promised showdown in the 1500m freestyle final because Yang didn't even qualify.

LOLOLOL

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I don't know who the Danish 50m gold medalist is but I love her and want to be her best friend.

And yay Simone!!!

Perennile Plume. :) and me too. 

and Canada's best chance for a male swimming medal isn't doing well. the american is beating him. (sigh)

4 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I don't know who the Danish 50m gold medalist is but I love her and want to be her best friend.

And yay Simone!!!

She seems like a nice person and she was so happy that I couldn't help but be happy for her, even though I was rooting for Simone.

Speaking of Simone, she's got a nice haul so far:  1 gold and 2 silvers

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Well, the Dutch can officially call this swim tournament a big fat fail and things need to be evaluated because they were doing pretty good on the way to the Olympics.

Jullie hebben mijn sympathie.  Tot 2018!

• Love 2

That was (as already noted) a Ledeckyan blowout for Paltrinieri. 

I don't know much (or anything!) about long distance racing, but the underwater shots of Paltrinieri intrigued me. (I guess I wasn't really paying attention to this during the corresponding women's race.) He barely seemed to be kicking at all -- just a minimal motion every few strokes. He kept up that pace solely with his arms. Is that standard?

Anyway, kudos to him and his teammate Detti. And Connor J too.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

I don't know much (or anything!) about long distance racing, but the underwater shots of Paltrinieri intrigued me. (I guess I wasn't really paying attention to this during the corresponding women's race.) He barely seemed to be kicking at all -- just a minimal motion every few strokes. He kept up that pace solely with his arms. Is that standard?

I had the same question. It seemed strange to me, but in the overhead shots it looked like the other guys were kicking more.

24 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

I don't know much (or anything!) about long distance racing, but the underwater shots of Paltrinieri intrigued me. (I guess I wasn't really paying attention to this during the corresponding women's race.) He barely seemed to be kicking at all -- just a minimal motion every few strokes. He kept up that pace solely with his arms.

Rowdy talked about it a lot with Ladecky's 800 swim.  She didn't kick at all during her prelim swim and he emphasized that it was normal.  What little movement she had visible above the water was actually just her body rocking with her stoke movement.  

She did kick some during her WR swim last night.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

Rowdy talked about it a lot with Ladecky's 800 swim.  She didn't kick at all during her prelim swim and he emphasized that it was normal.  What little movement she had visible above the water was actually just her body rocking with her stoke movement.  

She did kick some during her WR swim last night.  

Thank you, Bewitched! I'm always delighted to learn more.

7 minutes ago, sab85 said:

Yay to the US women! Canada, you were suppose to be right there with us!

We really faded on the breaststroke  - and Penny and Chantel couldn't make up the time loss. but. as an honouary denmark-ian, i'm good with it!

• Love 1

Wow! Go Ryan Murphy with the WR on the lead-off leg! I can't believe Aaron Piersol's record finally fell. Michael swimming 50.3 in the fly was amazing, especially after what he said about 50.3 last night. Cody and Nathan were awesome too.

Congrats to USA Swimming for an amazing meet. I don't think even they expected to do so well. It was so much fun watching them swim this week. 

• Love 5
Just now, KenyaJ said:

Wow! Go Ryan Murphy with the WR on the lead-off leg! I can't believe Aaron Piersol's record finally fell. Michael swimming 50.3 in the fly was amazing, especially after what he said about 50.3 last night. Cody and Nathan were awesome too.

Congrats to USA Swimming for an amazing meet. I don't think even they expected to do so well. It was so much fun watching them swim this week. 

they didn't do this well. ;) 
They did what they normally do (laugh). only won 1 extra medal this meet than they did in London. it's amazing. 

That Phelps kid is pretty good, huh? Adrian, Miller, and Murphy aren't bad either.  Congrats to the US men!

Mad respect to Adam Peaty. That was impressive.

Phelps laying his head on Nathan Adrian's chest? Aww...

Edited by sab85
  • Love 2

I'd like to amend my statement from the other night about the lack of hotness in this new generation. Ryan Murphy is a cutie. Tall and broad shoulders. Lol

Please Michelle, don't start slurping Phelps while ignoring the rest of the team!

• Love 1