Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Ambush

Here's the article where SGS and one of the writers of the episode discuss the conversation they had before writing it.  I feel like Ariana Jackson is trying to distance herself away from what SGS is saying without compromising her job and looking like she's disagreeing with her boss.  I find it very telling she didn't add anything to the last two questions while SGS blathers on about being an ally.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Rachel's actions were inexcusable, but Coleman's "Rachel, don't go in and try to defuse the situation because I am getting good footage of a volatile incident that I think may end in tragedy because of a false accusation that we set up in order to create drama for TV show." was totally loathsome.

I wonder if those writers were totally ignored by the end of the discussion. .  . like Darius and Romeo.

Coleman is literally the worst.  I don't even think he cares about Rachel.  I think for him she represents talent that he does not possess to rip off.  Quinn can be awful but she has Coleman's number. 

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

Yeah the writer probably planned this though before most of that happened. I do think they should show more of the black characters not just Jay. I am hoping we get more next episode. Like when Mary died last year. We got a whole episode of everyone dealing with the aftermath. I just hope its not a mess. 

The writer claims to have written this six months ago but police shootings were happening six months ago, six years ago, sixty years ago.  Would they feature a school full of children being shot to make a point? Probably not. The utter lack of concern for what some of us are feeling is disgusting and unforgivable.

I'm sure when they filmed it at the time, the "Darius gets stopped by cops" storyline was a good idea. 

When would that have been? Tamir Rice, John Crawford, Trayvon Martin, Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, Edmund Perry...it's a long list when would the right time have been?

Edited by MaryTylerMoore
  • Love 18
33 minutes ago, MaryTylerMoore said:

The writer claims to have written this six months ago but police shootings were happening six months ago, six years ago, sixty years ago.  Would they feature a school full of children being shot to make a point? Probably not. The utter lack of concern for what some of us are feeling is disgusting and unforgivable.

When would that have been? Tamir Rice, John Crawford, Trayvon Martin, Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, Edmund Perry...it's a long list when would the right time have been?

I was trying to figure out the writing timeline by the Samsung phone product placement.  

I don't know how writing works, but I figure they would have written in the part about Quinn and the phone at the same time they were writing everything else.

The phone has been out for quite some time already and I would think that you would want to try to coordinate a product placement with the release of the phone, but I'm not in marketing so I'm not sure.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, mattie0808 said:

They probably thought so, but I'm not sure there is, or ever has been, a good time for a "let's have two black men get the cops called on them due to the very expensive car they are driving being falsely reported as STOLEN so a couple of white people can see what kind of footage they might get for their meaningless reality show, and then those same white people can experience the PAIN -- not of a possibly fatal bullet, not of a debilitating and possibly paralyzing back injury being aggravated, but of how terribly they're all up in their FEELINGS" story. That's aside from the fact (as others have pointed out) that while maybe our showrunners and writers weren't fully aware of what has been going on, um, forever, but certainly the last several YEARS...saying they hoped it'd be "dated" six months from writing this drivel is ignorant and dumb to the point of being offensive. Are police brutality/killings just a passing fad to the folks at UnReal? Is six months is honestly long enough in their minds that by the time the episode airs it won't be such a "hot topic" any more? They can exploit the hell out of it and people won't be so worked up about it? It'll all be solved and finished and people would be like, "Wow, remember that time, in like January 2016, when police shootings/killings were like, a thing? Man, this episode is like a time capsule!" COME ON.

I agree 100% - this episode, and the focus on RACHEL's feelings and reactions, is so tone-deaf it was offensive.  Sure, pop some pills to escape the reality you had a very large part in creating - the two men you set up might have been paralyzed or killed, but your mom's here to 'help' now.  Maybe the show will redeem itself by showing this is part of a self-aware season-long white privilege/cluelessness arc, but I really doubt it.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, RCharter said:

Poor whittle Wachel.  She sets up a black man to get shot by the cops, another one to get injured and somehow she is the poor victim in all of this.  She is a fucking bitch, and I'm glad Jay read her for filth.  It is all her fault.  

But to be fair, I was over her from the first frame of this episode.  Adam stole "her Africa?" because he had the courage to do it?  Bitch, bye.

She is a fucking mess, and while Darius faces a paralyzing back injury, and Romeo faces death, little miss "I wanna call the cops just to see what happens" gets to take a few meds while her mommy pets her hair and gives her soothing words.

The only bright spot is Yael possibly exposing the truth, and I only want Rachel to get exactly what she has coming to her.

IMO, Rachel deserves much, much worse than to have a comfy bed with her mother stroking her hair.

I don't care how mentally deficient she is, she knows right from wrong, she knew EXACTLY what she was doing and she did it anyways -- all in the hopes that someone would get hurt so she could expose some story, because she was ass-hurt that Adam called her show ridiculous.

She basically got one man shot and another one injured over Adam calling her out for what her show is....fluff.

At the very least, she was hoping for some sort of confrontation.....with a guy who can easily get paralyzed because of the epidural SHE encouraged him to get to remain on her shit show.  So at the very least, she set up Darius to get paralyzed.  

But somehow the audience is supposed to feel bad for Rachel in all of this?  As she takes happy pills to make her forget all the terrible shit she has done?  While her mommy strokes her hair and Rachel gets to be in a daze?

Rachel getting mad at Adam for going to "her" Africa was the disgusting cherry on the loathsome sundae. What are the showrunners trying to accomplish here? Rachel isn't even brilliant at her job any more. She's some kind of manic, hysterical witch. Hauling out another guy to fall hopelessly in love with her (why? how? she is a MESS) is beyond tired. Quinn's relationship is a snooze. What's the attraction? The characters are cardboard. Where's this season's Faith, or Anna? Its all Lifetime soap opera, no substance, and not even any style. Plot devices are clunky and the characters' motivations are an utter mystery. They're just trotted out for exposition, then trotted back into the shadows.

To top it all off is the horrific, cynical move of reporting the car stolen and putting Darius and Romeo in harm's way. In danger of death. Everyone here has expressed it better than I ever can, but my naked horror at the exploitation of the very real danger Darius and Romeo were in, and how the show ignores them to focus on Rachel's poignant pain knows no bounds.

I used to love this show.

• Love 15

Based on a bunch of tweets I saw, there are a lot of people really applauding the show for "tackling" such a tough topic. Ah yes, the tough topic of how Rachel is suffering mental/emotional anguish after purposely setting up a scenario in which she knew Darius and Romeo were at least likely to get roughed up, and which she had to predict could be worse than that. And then it was worse than that. My gosh, how tough that was for her. How's Darius? How's Romeo?

Gah. It's so tone deaf. I'll stop ranting now though. I think.

• Love 9

A tiny part of me wondered how the local police had no idea "Everlasting" was filming in the area. Or that Darius was the suitor, and therefore was who he said he was. This doesn't excuse what happened in any way, but it was way too convenient for the show to ignore this.

A really, really terrible episode all the way around. And that disclaimer at the beginning! 

• Love 8

I know this was established last year, but I am tired of the trope that genius are unstable. Carrie Mathison: genius but unbalanced. Rachel Goldberg: genius but unbalanced. You don't have to make your smart characters unbalanced. Saul Berenson and Quinn King are both acknowledged as smart, genius people and they don't need to be shown as crazy to be interesting.

• Love 6
(edited)

Fresh Prince did a wonderful episode about Will and Carlton being stopped in an expensive car, and then thrown in jail.  That was the 90s.  What about Rodney King?  Black people being stopped unfairly by the cops (and then a lot worse) is not new.  I really appreciate the poster saying this is not a "fad".  It's not Pokemon.  Black Lives Matter shouldn't be treated as product placement.

How anyone can watch Darius's spine being bent and thinking/worrying/then knowing somebody was going to get shot.... Ugh.  

Honestly, I really liked the show last year, but the stuff with Mary was absolutely not my bag.  Now there's no reason for me to watch anymore.  I feel ashamed that I was so public on social media for wanting the show to get more awards recognition than it has.

The real life Bachelor and Bachelorette get very high ratings right?  I am going to go ahead and assume that from the spinoffs, aftershows, episodes that air for an hour or longer, 1 or more times a week.  I assume the franchise is a ratings juggernaut.  It really doesn't matter what happens on the show.  There's no way producers would feel that putting people's lives at risk is necessary for ratings in the real life counterpoint is necessary.  To exploit the sickening reality of systematic racism and how it leads to MURDER.  Now I see Chris Harrison was right all along.  I'm not saying The Bachelor is fantastic but they know not to murder people and put discriminated groups in the literal line of fire.

Can somebody recap the disclaimer at the beginning?  I definitely did not see one, but I did not watch this on cable.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
(edited)
42 minutes ago, KateeBar said:

Based on a bunch of tweets I saw, there are a lot of people really applauding the show for "tackling" such a tough topic. Ah yes, the tough topic of how Rachel is suffering mental/emotional anguish after purposely setting up a scenario in which she knew Darius and Romeo were at least likely to get roughed up, and which she had to predict could be worse than that. And then it was worse than that. My gosh, how tough that was for her. How's Darius? How's Romeo?

Gah. It's so tone deaf. I'll stop ranting now though. I think.

I saw those tweets. People have said the same stuff on other websites as well. Makes me want to vomit. The official UnREAL Twitter page is useally very active during each episode posting tweet after tweet about the episode till the show ends. This week they posted all the way up till the shooting then stopped. They never mentioned a word about it. The only mention I saw was from SGS tweeting about the article.

I can think of 101 ways to make Rachel go off the deep end without envolving the cops.

I highly doubt the Bachelor will have someone of color after seeing this mess.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

And more questions about 'Ambush,' an even more troubling episode than usual.

View the full article

And, from the article:

Does Rachel know why she's still at Everlasting?

I'm wondering the same thing. Season 1 was her coming back after a major breakdown and being indentured to the show for keeping her out of jail and to pay off the damage from her meltdown, to the point she was selling her stuff and sleeping in the AV van.

This year... is all forgiven? She's still in the van, but she has an office, and they gave her the show to run (for a while). Does she owe anything substantial? Do they have anything over her (besides Mary's death) to keep her on?

Hot!Rachel with the recorder is making me think back to the conspiracy/mole theories. Is Coleman definitely out of the picture in the theory? You think that talk with Booth was actually setting up more of an expose reveal?

• Love 2

I'm really on the fence about this episode.  On one hand, I enjoyed it just because I'm obsessed with the show and I'm able to find something good in every episode (the acting, usually).  On the other, I can understand why people are outraged.  I do applaud the show for trying to tackle such a major issue, but they went about it so, so wrong.  My biggest problem was that we continued to focus on Rachel after the shooting instead of Darius and Romeo.   As others have said, two unarmed black men are injured, one nearly to the point of death, and the show decides to concentrate on how the white characters are affected?  No.  I appreciated Jay's reading of Rachel, but it wasn't enough.

At the end of the day, I will say that I blame Coleman more than I do Rachel.  He was the show runner; as soon as she mentioned calling the cops, he should have nipped that shit in the bud.  Am I the only one who thinks Quinn would have done the exact same thing, though?  She can hem and haw, but she's all about drama and ratings, and she would have been right there with Rachel.  

Seeing Jeremy at the end just made me feel even more disgusted.  I truly don't think I've ever disliked a fictional character as much as I hate him.  He's just irredeemable on every level. I can't believe that I actually kinda, sorta liked him last season.  At least he was eye candy then; now he doesn't even have that going for him.  

I'm just hoping that the next episode will resolve the issues with this episode.  If they continue focusing on Rachel rather than Darius and Romeo, I don't even know...

For the record, there doesn't seem to be much viewer backlash at all.  Comments on the show's Facebook and Twitter, as well as on IMDb, seem to be mostly positive.  I actually just read a thread on IMDb that says Darius and Romeo are to blame, if you can believe that.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MaryTylerMoore said:

There's "ripped from the headlines", and there's also "the newspaper is in the woodchipper, so let the fuck go of it!"

So, I don't think UnReal is trying to say that 2 black men getting stopped and shopped is new - the entire point was that it was old and happens all very often. And while the punishment about what happened was completely disproportionate, Darius and Romeo shouldn't have taken the car - it was against the rules AND that car didn't belong to them. Darius and Romeo play on Darius's fame all the time. They were expecting the same thing to happen here and it didn't. So, while that doesn't justify the fact that Romeo was shot, and Darius hurt - NO way, NO how, I do believe Romeo and Darius started it all by driving off in a car that they didn't have the permission to drive. And Darius's walking off, by the way, was also instigated by Jay, another black man, who disrespected what Chantal was trying to do, and the man himself, by blowing her fiancee's ashes around. So, while the cops are most at fault, followed by Rachel and Coleman, I am not also going to absolve Darius and Romeo completely of the blame. I realise this view may be regarded as wrong and cause offence to many. 

I will confess that I could see where Rachel and Coleman were going with wanting to film the real indignity, with a view towards shining a light on it, and perhaps contributing towards getting it to go away. It ended up being terribly wrong, and they put into danger people who hadn't signed up for it, but honestly, till Romeo was shot, I wasn't turned off. Even after the shooting, they hadn't lost me, because I remembered last year, and remembered the episode where after Mary's shooting, they took an entire episode to address a lot of concerns that folks had with it. So, on that front I'm cautiously optimistic. 

A part of me also likes the bait & switch & delayed gratification of the expectation of blowing something up last episode in Alabama, and instead that being treated as a comedy with the real horrific thing happening this episode out of the blue. 

However, I am still concerned with where this story is going and my continued viewership, because, I've lost too much respect for Rachel now and she was my hook into this series. I don't mind her calling the cops, I did think a little less of her for being so manipulated by Quinn and giving in to Adam so easily but, I don't think I can respect her after the way she completely fell apart in the aftermath of the shooting. Even Shay managed to keep it together, man. I realise this may be because she has serious mental health issues and has no coping mechanisms etc. but seriously? grow the hell up and handle your mess. I am so disappointed in Rachel right now, it's not funny. 

Also, and I realise this is a serious gap in my empathy, given that Romeo is a side character and Darius has not made any impression on me so far (both of which, I think are intentional on the show runner's part), I do find myself more interested in how the show handles this, rather than how Romeo and Darius handle it. Similar to how i didn't really care about Mary's family last year, but did care about Rachel and the show. 

• Love 7
(edited)
18 minutes ago, NutmegsDad said:

There's "ripped from the headlines", and there's also "the newspaper is in the woodchipper, so let the fuck go of it!"

I'm not sure what this means and I don't want to go with my gut because I'll get banned.

So, I don't think UnReal is trying to say that 2 black men getting stopped and shopped is new - the entire point was that it was old and happens all very often. And while the punishment about what happened was completely disproportionate, Darius and Romeo shouldn't have taken the car - it was against the rules AND that car didn't belong to them. 

This is the most disappointing thing I've read on these boards since the great diction debate that occurred when Real Housewives of Atlanta premiered.

Edited by MaryTylerMoore
  • Love 14

I'm just hoping that the next episode will resolve the issues with this episode.  If they continue focusing on Rachel rather than Darius and Romeo, I don't even know...

I'm assuming we'll know more later about this (I'd like to); it's not like this was the season finale and leaving things up in the air is just the way of TV. But as far as focusing on Rachel, I'm not really bothered by that; she's the protagonist after all so of course that's who is most prominently shown.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

What are the showrunners trying to accomplish here? Rachel isn't even brilliant at her job any more. She's some kind of manic, hysterical witch. Hauling out another guy to fall hopelessly in love with her (why? how? she is a MESS) is beyond tired. Quinn's relationship is a snooze. What's the attraction? The characters are cardboard.

Yes exactly! I don't think they know at this point, they've been so all over the map this season and completely biting off more than they could chew. And handling serious topics that they maybe had no business handling after all, if this is the result. I think they took notes from all the love they got in season one for being so dark and shocking and edgy and ran with it - right over a cliff. They cared about topping themselves and being juicy, dramatic, nastier and just took it too far. Theres no focus, nothing is well built this season (characters, relationships or plots), we just jump from one OMG moment to the next. Season 1 was a little more of a slow burn. It had OMG moments but it was also well balanced and better paced even with the little time they had in 10 episodes. This season is just too over the top and depressing. There are glimmers of good here and there but not enough.

I keep thinking of Quinn's line: It takes an iron fist and a steady hand to run this show. Without a good Show Runner it became very messy. There was promise in the first 2 episodes - aka the only episode Marti Noxon was involved in this season. It felt different but at that point it could have turned out to be good different. We'll never know. 

It feels like Sarah Getrude Shapiro got high off the first seasons success, figured she didn't need Noxon and has proceeded to ruin the quality of the show and take it away from anything I loved about it in season 1.

And yes, The new romances are just laughable this season. I got Adams attraction to Rachel in season 1. I saw what he saw in her, watched them grow in the little time they had together and it made sense. Hell, I even got Quinn and Chets. What does Coleman even see in Rachel? What is he getting out of this? They barely know eachother and what he does know should make him run backwards if anything. I hope he is using her because at least that would make more sense than all this insta love they have going.

Lifetime needs to reevaluate - they wanted to break free from their old brand but season 2 is turning out to be exactly what they are trying to get away from.

Edited by basically
  • Love 15
(edited)

For the record, there doesn't seem to be much viewer backlash at all.  Comments on the show's Facebook and Twitter, as well as on IMDb, seem to be mostly positive.  I actually just read a thread on IMDb that says Darius and Romeo are to blame, if you can believe that.

No, I won't put that on the record.   I've seen many negative comments HERE, and on Twitter.  If you're only looking at the SHOW'S social media than I guess it might look positive.  But I would not agree.  I searched for the hashtag #UnReal on Twitter and saw a lot of negative responses.  

So, I don't think UnReal is trying to say that 2 black men getting stopped and shopped is new - the entire point was that it was old and happens all very often. And while the punishment about what happened was completely disproportionate, Darius and Romeo shouldn't have taken the car - it was against the rules AND that car didn't belong to them. Darius and Romeo play on Darius's fame all the time. They were expecting the same thing to happen here and it didn't. So, while that doesn't justify the fact that Romeo was shot, and Darius hurt - NO way, NO how, I do believe Romeo and Darius started it all by driving off in a car that they didn't have the permission to drive. And Darius's walking off, by the way, was also instigated by Jay, another black man, who disrespected what Chantal was trying to do, and the man himself, by blowing her fiancee's ashes around. So, while the cops are most at fault, followed by Rachel and Coleman, I am not also going to absolve Darius and Romeo completely of the blame. I realise this view may be regarded as wrong and cause offence to many.

Coleman and Rachel didn't care about the car being gone.  They cared about not knowing where their suitor was and not having total control over him.  So they intentionally reported the car as being "stolen" which they did not actually feel, all for the hopes that the cops would beat the men, (because of racism), and for sure anyone with half a brain knows that a shooting or murder could have or would have taken place in that scenario.  Also, Darius's fragile spine.  Coleman and Rachel exploited systematic racism - and the lives of two black men - for ratings.

will confess that I could see where Rachel and Coleman were going with wanting to film the real indignity, with a view towards shining a light on it, and perhaps contributing towards getting it to go away. It ended up being terribly wrong, and they put into danger people who hadn't signed up for it, but honestly, till Romeo was shot, I wasn't turned off. Even after the shooting, they hadn't lost me,

"The real indignity" meaning what?  That C&R knew that Romeo and Darius would get roughed up or worse?  Filming a real indignity for their show is WORTH potentially killing , harming, or paralyzing these two men?  Shining a light on an issue and hopefully getting a goddamn Peabody award or whatever is worth that?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15

I'm mainly rolling my eyes at the notion that they're "tackling" this "difficult subject" to make a "statement" or whatever they're going with. No, the shooting was a cheap, tasteless plot device and nothing more.

But in terms of the storytelling, I don't have a problem with how they're handling it. Rachel is the main character - clearly, they're going to be focusing on her. If this show was actually going to deliver some big message like they're claiming, then yes we should be hearing this from Darius' and Romeo's perspectives, but as a viewer who's watching this as just another soapy show, I'm honestly not particularly interested because it doesn't really have anything to do with the story.

So do I think they accomplished what they were trying to do? Fuck no. But going into this season I was expecting a show about two terrible women making terrible choices, not a thought-provoking documentary about race, law enforcement and gun violence. I wish they would stop trying to sell it as that, but I can still enjoy the show for what it actually is.

I might also be terribly desensitized from watching American Horror Story where they busted out a school massacre for shock value in the very first season. I don't approve of these antics, but I don't take my shows very seriously in the first place, so I'm not all that bothered.

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"The real indignity" meaning what?  That C&R knew that Romeo and Darius would get roughed up or worse?  Filming a real indignity for their show is WORTH potentially killing , harming, or paralyzing these two men?  Shining a light on an issue and hopefully getting a goddamn Peabody award or whatever is worth that?  

It seems I was unclear and my apologies for that. I don't think it was worth it, but Rachel and Coleman did, and I get where they were coming from. Shay killed someone last year for ratings, Rachel nearly outed Faith, Quinn locked that random person up for a while (forgotten name), Jay DID mean to out Faith - all of them did these horrible thing for just for ratings. Rachel & Coleman convinced themselves that they could get ratings and do something socially edgy and they were wrong to do it. The show is saying that was the wrong call. I know that was the wrong call. But I get why they didn't think it at the time. I also get that they didn't think how serious it would get - they were probably expecting some rough searching, as the worst case scenario. 

But this is a touchy topic and I'm sure a lot of feel more strongly about this than i do, so having had my say, I'll stop.  

• Love 8
(edited)

Rachel & Coleman convinced themselves that they could get ratings and do something socially edgy and they were wrong to do it. The show is saying that was the wrong call.

I agree. It happened in the confines of a show specifically about morally ambiguous characters and actions. I really don't think that just because Rachel's the protagonist, we are expected to always agree with her, much less infer that the show's creators are saying that they condone what she does. We are supposed to be appalled by these fictional people's lack of scruples. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 12
(edited)

they were probably expecting some rough searching, as the worst case scenario

Just wanted to say, that for R & C to expect this and think it's not a "too bad" worst-case scenario for someone who can easily be PARALYZED from it...well, that alone, aside from the immensely willful blindness that would have to be the case for them to think that was the worst that could happen? That, in and of itself, is horrific. And, well, the show seemed to take the stance that withholding Mary's pills and outing Faith were wrong generally/morally and potentially bad for the show in the end. Shay didn't seem to know/care what the potential outcomes were for not only swapping out the pills, but bringing back the ex too, and everyone flipped out when she admitted what she'd done...but Rachel seemed very KEENLY aware and very concerned about what "worst-case scenario" might befall Faith (and as bad as it certainly could/would have been, I'm not sure being instantly shot/injured/wrongfully arrested was in the cards for that one). But siccing some cops on unsuspecting black guys driving an expensive and reported stolen car to "see what happens"? Why not?

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 7
(edited)

I am a bit bias when it comes to Shiri but I knew she had this in her. It was just a matter of landing the right role. She got snubbed.

Here's an idea from a previous episode that they should have done. Hired someone from central casting to play a cop. This way you get your footage and nobody gets hurts. If they can do it with the mom then why not with a cop.

SGS posted this on Twitter. It's from last night snapchat.  It's a video of the writer talking about when they wrote it.

https://twitter.com/GertShap/status/755232914841886720/video/1

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Knuckles said:

I don't understand the show now....Romeo is shot, and Darius had his back twisted dangerously, and we are supposed to be concerned about Rachel...who initiated the whole mess? Even if the Unreal was trying to show the lengths to which producers might go...by shifting the focus entirely on Rachel, and her sorry self, and ignoring the well being of Darius and Romeo...is this a story about sad, misunderstood TV producers? Really?? I am seriously confused and disappointed by the show.

It's clear they wanted to end on a cliffhanger so I think the fallout and status of Romeo and Darius has to come in the next episode. For now, Rachel got reamed out by Jay. 

48 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I agree. It happened in the confines of a show specifically about morally ambiguous characters and actions. I really don't think that just because Rachel's the protagonist, we are expected to always agree with her, much less infer that the show's creators are saying that they condone what she does. We are supposed to be appalled by these fictional people's lack of scruples. 

Yes I thought the show wasn't trying to say we should be feeling sorry for Rachel. It's saying she fucked up and knows it, and unfortunately, she is the focus even when I find her a grossly entitled and self-indulgent, self-inflicted wimp.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 8

I don't see why a light hearted dating show has to have cops at all. Would it be better to have fake cops stop and interrogate Darius? Maybe to the fact that no one would be physically hurt, but who wants to watch a dating show with someone getting arrested? What type of message would it send to have the first black suitor getting pulled over by the cops, real or fake. This was just a terrible idea in a not good season.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, I don't think we are necessarily supposed to be concerned for, or even about, Rachel. I mean, sure, some people are, and it is possible to be even if you think she's terrible much of the time. In terms of what we as viewers are "supposed to" do, I think "be curious" is what the creators have in mind.

I don't see why a light hearted dating show has to have cops at all. Would it be better to have fake cops stop and interrogate Darius? Maybe to the fact that no one would be physically hurt, but who wants to watch a dating show with someone getting arrested? What type of message would it send to have the first black suitor getting pulled over by the cops, real or fake. This was just a terrible idea in a not good season.

But Unreal is not a lighthearted dating show; Everlasting is (though it's clear that the Unreal characters only pretend that's what it is) but Unreal is the show that we are watching. The cops happened in "real" life, and they seized the moment to include it. This is hard to articulate--too many "levels" of realness!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm assuming we'll know more later about this (I'd like to); it's not like this was the season finale and leaving things up in the air is just the way of TV. But as far as focusing on Rachel, I'm not really bothered by that; she's the protagonist after all so of course that's who is most prominently shown.

I understand that, but it doesn't mean the show needs to focus on her struggles only when one character was just shot and another was potentially seriously injured.  I mean, of course I want to know what's going with Rachel, but I'd also like to hear more about the other characters.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No, I won't put that on the record.   I've seen many negative comments HERE, and on Twitter.  If you're only looking at the SHOW'S social media than I guess it might look positive.  But I would not agree.  I searched for the hashtag #UnReal on Twitter and saw a lot of negative responses.  

Well, yeah...I specifically mentioned the show's Twitter and Facebook (in addition to IMDb, on which the response seems to be fairly positive).  I didn't say anything about Twitter searches.  And it goes without saying that the reaction here has been negative; I didn't realize that needed to be explicitly stated.  

• Love 1

I understand that, but it doesn't mean the show needs to focus on her struggles only when one character was just shot and another was potentially seriously injured.  I mean, of course I want to know what's going with Rachel, but I'd also like to hear more about the other characters.

It doesn't need to do anything. Like I mentioned, I too am interested in the other characters, including Darius (I think he seems nice, and I feel bad for him) but the show is about Rachel first and foremost. And again, we don't know that we won't see more on Darius; they want us to come back next week. I personally would have been surprised if we had seen the outcome of him in this episode.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I was just coming over here to say the exact same thing! Darius was supposed to be rehabilitating his image! Rachel sold him on this idea. What the hell was she even thinking--how could him getting arrested for stealing a goddamn car help his image? I mean, I know no one means what they say, everyone lies, blah de blee, blah de bloo, but how could Rachel square it with him afterwards? Was she planning to throw Madison under the bus? "No Darius, believe me, I care about you and would never do that! Madison freaked out and called before anyone could stop her!" Life is not a closed set with no access to the internet though. The truth would come out really quickly. And while we're at it, how did Yael get a phone? How did she get away? How is everyone on this show suddenly just wandering off set, calling their friends?

• Love 10

This is intended to be dark and shocking.  We all get that.

You can turn the death and injured black man story to a statement that says this happens, sit up and take note.  And it does.  So this episode was actually in defense and supports the 'black lives matter' crusade. How better to illustrate this than 2 innocent men from a reality show in an expensive car get shot.  Yes, Rachael called 911 and reported it stolen.  I see that as a plot device for this to happen.  And it served to also show how far (exaggerated) reality shows go to get their story (suicide).   

Yes they stole a car but an arrest was in order, not death.  It also showed Darius reacting to his hurt back which was misunderstood as resistance.  This happens.  A man reaches for his wallet and is shot because cop thinks he is going for a gun and on it goes. 

Before you come down on me for being insensitive or worse, this is just another way I saw this could be interpreted. I am not defending the episode or this season or anyone in production.  Just and observation. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, mack6986 said:

Well, yeah...I specifically mentioned the show's Twitter and Facebook (in addition to IMDb, on which the response seems to be fairly positive).  I didn't say anything about Twitter searches.  And it goes without saying that the reaction here has been negative; I didn't realize that needed to be explicitly stated.  

Mack6986, here is how your original quote began.  I have bolded the part I disagreed with, and that explains what I wrote.  I disagree. I saw a lot of viewer backlash and I am still seeing it.

For the record, there doesn't seem to be much viewer backlash at all.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah, I don't think we are necessarily supposed to be concerned for, or even about, Rachel. I mean, sure, some people are, and it is possible to be even if you think she's terrible much of the time. In terms of what we as viewers are "supposed to" do, I think "be curious" is what the creators have in mind.

But Unreal is not a lighthearted dating show; Everlasting is (though it's clear that the Unreal characters only pretend that's what it is) but Unreal is the show that we are watching. The cops happened in "real" life, and they seized the moment to include it. This is hard to articulate--too many "levels" of realness!

Yes, but why would anyone, even with a failed sense of morals think that the EVERLASTING viewing audience would want to see a black man get beaten on TV?  What type of TV did Rachel think she was making for her audience, something that they don't want to see?  So she can expose systemic racism....something her suitor did NOT sign up for?  But I guess as long as Whittle Wachel gets what she wants, screw the audience she is writing for, screw two black men, screw everyone else......because Whittle Wachel's feelings were hurt that Adam called her show ridiculous.

There was a time when we had this word for white people conscripting black men to do things that they hadn't agreed to do......

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

This is intended to be dark and shocking.  We all get that.

You can turn the death and injured black man story to a statement that says this happens, sit up and take note.  And it does.  So this episode was actually in defense and supports the 'black lives matter' crusade. How better to illustrate this than 2 innocent men from a reality show in an expensive car get shot.  Yes, Rachael called 911 and reported it stolen.  I see that as a plot device for this to happen.  And it served to also show how far (exaggerated) reality shows go to get their story (suicide).   

Yes they stole a car but an arrest was in order, not death.  It also showed Darius reacting to his hurt back which was misunderstood as resistance.  This happens.  A man reaches for his wallet and is shot because cop thinks he is going for a gun and on it goes. 

Before you come down on me for being insensitive or worse, this is just another way I saw this could be interpreted. I am not defending the episode or this season or anyone in production.  Just and observation. 

I can't remember, was Rachel actually booked and arrested when she stole a car?  The same car from the set?  

I'm sure wild eyed Rachel was probably acting 10x worse, was she brutalized?

As far as stealing the car, and an arrest being in order -- I think an arrest is warranted if you really want your car back, larceny normally involves the intent to permanently deprive.  This.....was not that.  From the start they knew that Darius would be back with the car.  None of them wanted Darius arrested, just to get beaten up.

This episode was a defense of "when black lives matter, because white people's feelings are hurt"......what a message

As for "misunderstanding resistance" is that a reason to shoot someone else?  

As for a defense that is not really a defense --  it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....its generally not a chicken.  

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, RCharter said:

Yes, but why would anyone, even with a failed sense of morals think that the EVERLASTING viewing audience would want to see a black man get beaten on TV?  What type of TV did Rachel think she was making for her audience, something that they don't want to see?  So she can expose systemic racism....something her suitor did NOT sign up for?  But I guess as long as Whittle Wachel gets what she wants, screw the audience she is writing for, screw two black men, screw everyone else......because Whittle Wachel's feelings were hurt that Adam called her show ridiculous.

There was a time when we had this word for white people conscripting black men to do things that they hadn't agreed to do......

He signed up to be character redeemed from his scandals so I think that sort of videotaped injustice would galvanize the general public beyond the show's viewing audience to see him in a sympathetic heroic light.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, anonymiss said:

He signed up to be character redeemed from his scandals so I think that sort of videotaped injustice would galvanize the general public beyond the show's viewing audience to see him in a sympathetic heroic light.

No, he signed up for a reality dating show.  He didn't sign up to be part of an agenda he CLEARLY didn't want to be a part of.  He didn't sign up to be beaten for Rachel's white fix-it-all paternalistic brand of liberalism.

As for galvanizaing the audience, as someone pointed out above, even people on IMDB are blaming Darius and Romeo.  Which almost always happens in police involved shootings or beatings no matter how much evidence there is.

Do you really think he signed up to have his cousin shot and to have his career ended with a police beating?  How is he a hero in any of this?  He is a victim....of Rachel, of the police, of Coleman.

Oh, but I forgot, we're supposed to be worried about whittle Wachel's feelings.

3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I was just coming over here to say the exact same thing! Darius was supposed to be rehabilitating his image! Rachel sold him on this idea. What the hell was she even thinking--how could him getting arrested for stealing a goddamn car help his image? I mean, I know no one means what they say, everyone lies, blah de blee, blah de bloo, but how could Rachel square it with him afterwards? Was she planning to throw Madison under the bus? "No Darius, believe me, I care about you and would never do that! Madison freaked out and called before anyone could stop her!" Life is not a closed set with no access to the internet though. The truth would come out really quickly. And while we're at it, how did Yael get a phone? How did she get away? How is everyone on this show suddenly just wandering off set, calling their friends?

The one thing that strikes me about this season now, is just how messy and dumb some of Rachel's lies are.  

She lied to Coleman about what she said to Adam.  That is such an easily discovered lie that it doesn't even make sense.  Adam had proof of it on his phone. Coleman was suspicious -- all he had to do was ask Adam.

If Rachel is what "feminism" looks like, its pathetic, because it apparently looks like a foolish bitch willing to do anything for a man.

Adam tells her that her show is dumb, she is willing to risk two human lives to prove to him that he is wrong.  Rachel is anything BUT a feminist.  She is on a show that routinely exploits women, has messy work place relationships with seemingly every single man she meets who is remotely attractive and is perfectly willing to let a man drag her through her career.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, RCharter said:

Because that's probably what Everlasting viewers watch for? 

I think she was doing what lots of reality shows do: show trainwrecky drama, whether or not that drama belongs within the supposed genre of the show--this is not news. Many, many people who watch the love-centric (and other types of) reality shows don't do it for the romance, no matter how sincere the network pretends to be about the "happily ever after" angle; people watch for alcohol-fueled catfights and crazy contestants and probably scandalous sex scenarios. And Rachel (I'm sorry, I just can't do the "Wachel" thing) was not doing anything different than she always does: underhandedly, and even cruelly, manipulate people into situations that cause drama that will in turn cause "voyeuristic" viewers to want to tune in. She saw big drama, chased it, and totally lost control of it this time. 

• Love 4

Just when I thought the show couldn’t get any more ridiculous!!! 

Even Adam couldn’t save the episode for me, and I really like him, but it was annoying having to watch him pursue Rachel like a love-sick puppy.  Not that he is a saint, but he is way too good for the likes of Rachel. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Well it does seem that the "rules" and/or archetypes for Everlasting, which were really highlighted in Season 1, are just out the window this year. I mean, "EverBlasting"? With bikini parties (well, bikinis all the time) and obstacle courses and...whatever on earth it is Chet and Jeremy were trying to do? Quinn's shrieking about "TRUE LOVE" and "ROMANCE" and "WIFEYS" may be over the top (and often fun), but it did used to have a point...the show, as messed up and crazy and unfair and whatever else it is behind the scenes, needs to put out a entertaining and wild show that still promised romance and fulfilled what are thought of as traditionally female romantic fantasies. About getting the "prince" or the great guy, about winning his heart despite there being a dazzling array of other women to choose from because you're just that beautiful, talented, charming, whatever. About having a "magic" connection so intense, it still forms and wins out during a literal competition in front of the world. The show is better when its examining those tropes, poking holes in them (behind the scenes), exposing the cost of maintaining them (both for the contestants and the suitor and those behind scenes, such as two women who'd prefer "money-dick-power" as their ethos), etc., etc.

What any of that has to do with Chet's man-show nonsense, OR the suitor potentially being unfairly KILLED as part of a racial-profiling set-up, I have no idea. But this is where we're at in this episode and in Season 2 generally.

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 14
(edited)

I am so angry. 

Fuming.

I've been trying to give this season the benefit of the doubt, but this is another (albeit minor) black character killed and this happens way too often. I'm honestly a little insulted, but also angry at myself for not knowing better.

The writer of this episode, according to an interview, originally said "no" to this, and I wish she had stuck to that. When Jay told Rachel that "this was not [her] story to tell," I pictured him saying that to the writers of this show as well. The minute Rachel was going on about how progressive this was in the first ep, alarm bells should have been ringing in my head. (I think I watched this part four times. best part of the episode, with the girls in the hot tub with Adam coming in second. Holy crap, I didn't think I actually miss Adam) 

anyway I'm done with the cheap writing, using very real black pain and suffering to further the pain of a white woman on tv. I'm done with tv shows making a mockery of things that are very real for a large amount of people. 

Anyway, only other good part of this episode was Chet was not there. 

There was such a disconnection between the two halves of this ep. I don't get it. Usually I watch an episode of this show twice before making a solid opinion, but I know that I didn't even wanna watch this hot mess once. 

Edited by allonsyalice
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, RCharter said:

No, he signed up for a reality dating show.  He didn't sign up to be part of an agenda he CLEARLY didn't want to be a part of.  He didn't sign up to be beaten for Rachel's white fix-it-all paternalistic brand of liberalism.

As for galvanizaing the audience, as someone pointed out above, even people on IMDB are blaming Darius and Romeo.  Which almost always happens in police involved shootings or beatings no matter how much evidence there is.

The show is showing she royally fucked up and knows it, which is why she banished herself.  How is he a hero in any of this?  He is a victim....of Rachel, of the police, of Coleman.

Oh, but I forgot, we're supposed to be worried about whittle Wachel's feelings.

He didn't know her extreme methods, but he did sign up for the reality dating show for the sole purpose of rehabbing his image. It's why he also was convinced to take the epidural to continue. 

It was sickening to see her crumble into her usual self-indulgent pity-party but she is our anti-hero so the focus is on her. I hope and expect the next episode will show us Darius' and Romeo's POVs. For now, the show is showing she finally went too far in manipulating situations and exploiting people and knows it, which is why she banished herself. 

In the sports and entertainment world, which is where Darius makes his money, I think there would be a mainstream outpouring of support for this kind of incident captured on film if it were shown as it happened. (Of course, there will always be those who will not see him as the victim, but their views are too deep-rooted to even contend with.) Rachel is mired in self-loathing and I think we are supposed to loathe her, too. I don't think the show is condoning what they did or expecting us to feel sorry for her.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

He didn't know her extreme methods, but he did sign up for the reality dating show for the sole purpose of rehabbing his image. It's why he also was convinced to take the epidural to continue. 

It was sickening to see her crumble into her usual self-indulgent pity-party but she is our anti-hero so the focus is on her. I hope and expect the next episode will show us Darius' and Romeo's POVs. For now, the show is showing she finally went too far in manipulating situations and exploiting people and knows it, which is why she banished herself. 

In the sports and entertainment world, which is where Darius makes his money, I think there would be a mainstream outpouring of support for this kind of incident captured on film if it were shown as it happened. (Of course, there will always be those who will not see him as the victim, but their views are too deep-rooted to even contend with.) Rachel is mired in self-loathing and I think we are supposed to loathe her, too. I don't think the show is condoning what they did or expecting us to feel sorry for her.

So, because he signed up for a dating show, and his intent was to rehab his image that somehow makes it okay for Rachel to set him up to get beaten and shot?  I just can't understand that reasoning at all.  Its like saying I signed up to get a chicken sandwich because I'm hungry but if I got some dirt to eat its pretty much the same thing.  That doesn't make any sort of sense to me at all, and I can't understand the mental gymnastics to try to put Rachel in the right on this.

As a human being, and a grown adult, Darius has the right to sign up for one thing, and just get that.  HE gets to choose how he rehabs his image NOT Rachel.  Because Darius isn't a child, he can make those choices for himself.  He doesn't need Rachel as the paternalist who decides HOW he goes about achieving his goals.  He decided to rehab his image by being on a dating show, not by getting beaten down by cops and having his cousin killed.  Darius is allowed to decide if there are certain things that aren't worth rehabbing his image over.

And very, very clearly, Rachel was not at all concerned about Darius's image, but about telling a story and doing some expose about important issues to show Adam that she isn't just about fluff TV.  The idea that she somehow called Darius, and got him beaten and his cousin shot out of some sort of concern for him doesn't make any sort of sense.

When Faith's story line was explored it was about Faith.  But when Darius gets shot and his cousin gets killed it has to be all about poor whittle Wachel?  Really?  And that poor whittle Wachel is "banishing herself" and its supposed to be enough punishment for her is laughable and just gross.

Again, whether the outpouring of support is worth the life of his cousin and the cost of his career and health is a decision DARIUS gets to make, not some entitled liberal white woman.

We are clearly not supposed to "loathe" Rachel since the entire set up was that poor whittle Wachel finally "loses it" and goes to a psych ward and THAT somehow is the real tragedy (as evidenced by the final scene of her mother petting her hair and her taking drugs).  "Oh noes poor whittle Wachel has to take the meds she has been fighting against from her evil mommy."  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, RCharter said:

So, because he signed up for a dating show, and his intent was to rehab his image that somehow makes it okay for Rachel to set him up to get beaten and shot?

I never said it was OK. And I don't think the show is trying to, either. I think they've always been trying to show exactly how outrageous these producer machinations can get. And here it went outrageously wrong.

• Love 7
(edited)
10 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

I never said it was OK. And I don't think the show is trying to, either. I think they've always been trying to show exactly how outrageous these producer machinations can get. And here it went outrageously wrong.

This is exactly what they are saying when the show becomes all about poor Rachel and Rachel ends up being the victim and the person we are supposed to pity and we only get maybe 30 seconds of seeing Romeo shot on the ground and Darius crying.

You implied that because Darius signed up to rehab his image on a reality dating show that Rachel's actions were somehow reasonable and made sense in light of the fact that Darius's intent was to rehab his image and Rachel's actions will result in the rehab to Darius's image.  Or that is how it read your responses, which were that Darius signed up to rehab his image and therefore whatever Rachel did was understandable and reasonable.  As if, by signing up for a reality show to rehab his image, it made it okay for Rachel to set him up to get beaten because that would rehab his image.

1 hour ago, anonymiss said:

33 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, RCharter said:

This is exactly what they are saying when the show becomes all about poor Rachel and Rachel ends up being the victim and the person we are supposed to pity and we only get maybe 30 seconds of seeing Romeo shot on the ground and Darius crying.

You implied that because Darius signed up to rehab his image on a reality dating show that Rachel's actions were somehow reasonable and made sense in light of the fact that Darius's intent was to rehab his image and Rachel's actions will result in the rehab to Darius's image.  Or that is how it read your responses, which were that Darius signed up to rehab his image and therefore whatever Rachel did was understandable and reasonable.  As if, by signing up for a reality show to rehab his image, it made it okay for Rachel to set him up to get beaten because that would rehab his image.

I was very annoyed w/ Rachel but I was not outraged with UnREAL because I think they are in on our feelings of outrage. They wanted and expected to provoke that and I believe they know who the real victims are. I think in even taking on this issue, they would not be using it to further the plot of "poor Rachel" but of "you-have-gone-too-far Rachel." That's why she committed herself. I'm withholding judgement for the show because I think they wanted to end on a cliffhanger and that is the only reason they left Darius and Romeo's aftermath out of this episode.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 7
(edited)

I'm so irritated that yet another queer woman (SGS) has ruined a show I liked. First it was Ilene Chaiken with The L Word and then Empire and then it was I. Marlene King with Pretty Little Liars and now this show. (Lesbian here BTW)

I'm white and I was offended when this show did what they did three episodes ago which is why last week and last night's episodes are still on my TIVO unwatched. I won't be watching them and will be deleting this show from my season pass. I can't support a show that highlights white straight people's pain to the exclusion of others.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

I was very annoyed w/ Rachel but I was not outraged with UnREAL because I think they are in on our feelings of outrage. They wanted and expected to provoke that and I believe they know who the real victims are. I think in even taking on this issue, they would not be using it to further the plot of "poor Rachel" but of "you-have-gone-too-far Rachel." That's why she committed herself. I'm withholding judgement for the show because I think they wanted to end on a cliffhanger and that is the only reason they left Darius and Romeo's aftermath out of this episode.

I have to disagree -- I don't think UNreal is in on my feelings of outrage when they decided to make the shooting of an unarmed black man and the injury of another all about a white woman who set the entire thing up.  And attempted to get me to pity her because she was in a psych ward and was taken away by "evil mommy."

Yes, poor Rachel who voluntarily punishes herself because she feels so bad....what a hero!  The idea that commitment is some sort of punishment for her, is laughable to me.  When two men fight for their lives over her action and the only punishment she gets is the one she decides she is allowed to inflict on herself.

If Rachel felt nearly as bad as she should be feeling, she wouldn't be blaming Adam for not saving her and checking herself into a psych ward (likely to avoid having to take any responsibility for her actions).  She would be taking the longest walk off the shortest cliff.  Because if my actions ended up getting an innocent man killed, because I needed to prove something to a dude I dated a year ago I don't think I could live with myself.

• Love 12