Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Back to Work: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Congress and How It Gets Things Done (and Often Doesn't)

Laurel asks her brother, Luke, for his help to get the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate the bugs, but he insists she first consult Dr. Joanne Alaimo, a leading entomologist, for her perspective on the invasion. Laurel’s relationship with Anthony takes a drastic turn.

I wish the entymologist could have become a part of the Scooby gang; too bad the bugs got to her.

I'm still hoping that Gustav gets to Laurel's in time to at least wake her up while she only has one or two bugs.

So Luke has a heart of gold even though he's a cad?

• Love 1

Why couldn't the protagonist follow a simple directive... Put on headphones.

I mean she went to the effort to put up mosquito netting and then failed at the end.

Also she threw out everything else into the hallway but flowers... 

I really hope they catscan the entymologist for a human sample of the condition. You'd think that'd be the top priority... 

Oh well the musical recaps at the start still are the best :p

And they know at least one source of where the bugs are living and reproducing and propagating. 

• Love 8

Is it over with Anthony? All he would have to do is have her arrested and I am sure he could get some ants in her. She smashed his face pretty bad.

What a waste of a good actor Margo Martindale seemed poised for good stuff.

I cracked up when they were at the meeting and the first suggestion was the ronald regan kiosk and then the democrat wanted to know why it wasn't named after a woman. Nailed it.

• Love 1

Just when I thought I couldn't love Gustav any more. Giving Laurel brass knuckles, dosing the FBI guy then putting bacon on his face. And the mosquito netting and crazy headphones.

I too wish Margo Martindale had not gotten infected. Loved it when she slapped Gustav's hand!

• Love 5

Red's excuses for not naming the kiosk because the cop's name was similar to Sharia was so ridiculous, but I can totally buy some real-life politicians totally acting like that, if that ever happened.  After all, I still remember when they lost their damn mind over Baraka Obama's middle name being "Hussein."  And, of course, the Reagan bit was on point, because I'm pretty sure Republican politicians would be down to name everything after Reagan.  Change the White House to the Reagan House.  Every school and college in America is just named Reagan School.  Tear all the monuments down and just have them all be Reagan.  The Presidents on Mount Rushmore become all Reagans...

It was nice to see Luke show a nicer side to him, by relenting to spotlight to Red, in order to save that one guy.  Sure, he managed to cheat on his wife with another woman in the same exact episode, but hey, one step forward, right?

Great seeing Margo Martindale.  Too bad she's already been bugged.  It was fun seeing both her and the guy who plays Dennis on The Americans in this episode.

Did Anthony actually get bugged in the beginning or did it happen at another point?  Either way, good thing Gustav gave Laurel's those brass knuckles.  Too bad Laurel didn't actually listen to him, and put on those damn headphones.  I have to think he'll get to her in time, since I doubt this show will have their lead be bugged, but come on now, Laurel.

I noticed Gareth was barely in this.  I wonder if Aaron Tveit was busy that week, or they just wanted to focus more on Anthony and the rest of the characters.  Have a feeling he will be brought into the fold at some point.

• Love 3

What worries me about the show is that the first 3 episodes were recapped, but now, nothing.  And I'm not seeing commercials for it either.  Damn.  It is quality television, so, of course it's not being watched.  I thought for sure it would appeal to more people. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wendyg said:

Can't be. No Russian hackers.

Give them time.  For all we know those ants are happily eating brains all over the world.

I think they're getting back at humans for putting ants in ant farms and watching the fun.  Now they're running the show - from the inside.  Dance humans, dance!

• Love 1

Congress is being overrun by brain-eating aliants -- and nothing is different! Just more so.

Anthony was never shown being infected by aliants. So he may simply be a louse on his own. I do wonder how he changed the bedsheets without waking Laurel.

Laurel has known from the start that the aliants get in through your ears -- why would she put up the mosquito netting, but not put on the headphones or at least stuff cotton in her ears? Why? Because if characters didn't act irrationally at some point, most shows wouldn't have a plot. And viewers wouldn’t have a reason to jump up from their couch and shout, "No! You fool! What are you doing?!" at ficticious characters. It's called "audience participation."

Apparently many loyal viewers missed the shift from Monday to Sunday night in many markets. 

• Love 2
On 7/25/2016 at 7:35 AM, BooBear said:

What a waste of a good actor Margo Martindale seemed poised for good stuff.

I hope she's in more episodes.  I loved some of the episodes of The Millers.   They had a great cast for a dumb show.

11 hours ago, DaveA said:

Is anyone else convinced that Braindead is really a documentary about Washington, DC politics?

Absolutely.  People actually believe the words coming out of Drumpf's mouth.  How in the name of God is that even possible. 

On 7/25/2016 at 8:04 AM, sjohnson said:

The random shots of the horse's ass are hilarious. 

Oh no!  You mean I was supposed to be paying close attention?  I'll have to re-watch.  I found this episode quite scary.

My favorite line from the opening song::  The guy who pulled a knife is just a fan of public radio.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Anthony was never shown being infected by aliants.

But he did try to immobilize Laurel, presumably to let the ants enter her ear.  Or is there some other explanation I'm missing for him holding her like that? 

If he's not infected, he was way too passive in letting her beat the snot out of him.  He's an FBI agent FFS.  I say he's infected.

Why have none of the ScoobyDoo team (especially his daughter) realized (or asked) what her dad did, and connected the dots?

• Love 3
On 7/24/2016 at 11:59 PM, wayne67 said:

Why couldn't the protagonist follow a simple directive... Put on headphones.

I mean she went to the effort to put up mosquito netting and then failed at the end.

Also she threw out everything else into the hallway but flowers... 

I really hope they catscan the entymologist for a human sample of the condition. You'd think that'd be the top priority... 

Oh well the musical recaps at the start still are the best :p

And they know at least one source of where the bugs are living and reproducing and propagating. 

Yeah, it should've been simple, but I guess they need her to get infected eventually.

13 hours ago, cardigirl said:

What worries me about the show is that the first 3 episodes were recapped, but now, nothing.  And I'm not seeing commercials for it either.  Damn.  It is quality television, so, of course it's not being watched.  I thought for sure it would appeal to more people. 

It was recently moved to Sundays, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Between the conventions, which seem like episodes of Brain Dead, and the time switch, I'm sure people are just lost.

I am now convinced that the Polynesian music that Laurel is trying to make the movie about, is going to be the key to saving humanity from the aliants.  They've made a point of playing it every episode, and frankly, it's not very pleasant to listen to.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

...I am now convinced that the Polynesian music that Laurel is trying to make the movie about, is going to be the key to saving humanity from the aliants.  They've made a point of playing it every episode, and frankly, it's not very pleasant to listen to.

Maybe the Polynesian music will act as a memory trigger for Lauren only (because she spent so much time listening to and learning about it). Maybe each person has their own memory music. Maybe the entymologist needs to hear Janis Joplin singing "Me and Bobby Mcgee" or something else from her youth that she listened to a hundred times.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I am now convinced that the Polynesian music that Laurel is trying to make the movie about, is going to be the key to saving humanity from the aliants.  They've made a point of playing it every episode, and frankly, it's not very pleasant to listen to.

I think there is a good chance that one of Laurels unfinished documentaries teach the aliants something since they seem to be getting seduced by extreme political ideology and a lesson would be a way to get them to collaborate of some such.

But I am kind of expecting that the resolution is that the aliants catch a fake news satire program and that shakes up their belief systems, making them more moderate.  CBS does have access to Colbert for cross promotion and Colbert still has access to Stewart,

Although Colbert (character not person) may be their aliant overloard.

Edited by ParadoxLost
12 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Hey it worked for Mars Attacks!  

• Love 5

Whatever the resolution, there is the issue that the symbiant hosts are missing, presumably permanently, a chunk of their brains (not that there seems to be any serious impact -- sort of normal for Washington, D.C.).

Aliants and satire aside, the backroom wheeling and dealing, painful compromising and one-upmanship seems to be pretty close to the political reality. Who knew PoliSci 101 could be entertaining?

• Love 2
On 7/27/2016 at 8:19 PM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe the entymologist needs to hear Janis Joplin singing "Me and Bobby Mcgee" or something else from her youth that she listened to a hundred times.

That song could bring me back from brain death!  ;-)

• Love 1

Oh Anthony is infected. Zero doubt. He changed the sheets because some of his brains came out on it, and his reaction to being punched was not human. It wasn't domestic violence, it was an alien trying to get her infected too.

• Love 4

I debated watching this one until I knew Laurel's fate but finally caved.  Getting the lead infected half way in seems different. 

This is the first time I've actually liked Luke.  Still not seeing a sibling vibe with Laurel but I liked his reaction to their father.