Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

On 8/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, LincolnCentMe said:

I’m not which topic I’m supposed to post this link on, so if this is the wrong place, please point me to the topic I’m allowed to share this ⬇️

Also, I’m not sure if this has already been posted bc when I’ve searched to see if it has already been posted, I cannot find it. 

While I was digging around for pics of Jenn K’s weight gain I stumbled upon this video of the unedited 1996 finals: https://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php/2013_04792

What I found most interesting was that a lot of these women were much heavier than the ladies who try out nowadays. 

Oh that was something to see ....that chick in the black and white leotard at the very beginning...I just want to "bless her heart" right off the floor.  😛 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Kayce said:

Oh that was something to see ....that chick in the black and white leotard at the very beginning...I just want to "bless her heart" right off the floor.  😛 

That was fascinating!  Not just the outfits and the hair and the bad dancing, either!  What killed me was the disinterested girls in the chairs - legs up under them, chewing gum?, totally bored!  And the ones trying out couldn't even stand right.  In the pre-kick line, the brunettes had 5 diff girls with 5 diff foot positions!  And they all got tired and heavy breathed even on the easier stuff.  We've come a long way, baby!

• Love 1

I think many posters may have missed how the Small Talk topic is supposed to work, so here's a refresher:

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Contestant topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Past season topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favorite X topics

...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

I'm getting a puppy in 3 weeks!  

How's that for off topic chatter!!  

Ohhhhhhhh! What breed?! Boy or girl? Any names picked out yet?!?

PS I kinda like dogs. More than people sometimes. 🐶❤️🐶

• Love 2
12 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

Ohhhhhhhh! What breed?! Boy or girl? Any names picked out yet?!?

PS I kinda like dogs. More than people sometimes. 🐶❤️🐶

I decided on a miniature poodle for several reasons.   I show in obedience, barn hunt, do a tiny bit of agility (tiny bit) and my havanese isn't really fond of strangers.  Judges have to touch dogs, and she really does not enjoy this.  Poodles have lots of drive and generally enjoy people.  I have had very big dogs (borzoi and german shepherd) and loved moving to a toy dog.  Loading and unloading that huge crate is no fun at shows.  So I didn't want anything too big, although I love sighthounds.  Plus I can do dock diving with a poodle.  Dogs are great fun.  Plus most of the time they are more fun than people!  She will be silver in color.

• Love 5

Hi I’m looking for some industry advice! There is a sports team in my city in Texas (not Dallas) that is considering adding a dance team. It’s a pro development league so i believe similar to Texas legends, Allen Americans, Dallas sidekicks, etc type of level. Does anyone know how much dancers on these types of teams usually make? And/or how much the dance director/coach would typically make? I’m anticipating potential budget questions from the front office. I know it’s quite low for major league dancers like DCC so I’m wondering if it’s similar or even substantially lower for minor league teams.

12 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Um. . . . LOVE!

This is one amazingly talented dancer.

Blake McGrath sings too.  He's extremely talented.  Watch for cameos of Brian Friedman and Wade Robson (two of Blake's idols).

• Love 1
On 8/8/2019 at 6:22 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I decided on a miniature poodle for several reasons.   I show in obedience, barn hunt, do a tiny bit of agility (tiny bit) and my havanese isn't really fond of strangers.  Judges have to touch dogs, and she really does not enjoy this.  Poodles have lots of drive and generally enjoy people.  I have had very big dogs (borzoi and german shepherd) and loved moving to a toy dog.  Loading and unloading that huge crate is no fun at shows.  So I didn't want anything too big, although I love sighthounds.  Plus I can do dock diving with a poodle.  Dogs are great fun.  Plus most of the time they are more fun than people!  She will be silver in color.

Sorry for my delayed response since I'm the one that asked all the questions! I was doing a 2-day relay trail run in the middle of the mountains where WiFi was nonexistent and cell service was fleeting at best. Now I'm home, showered, rested, and eager to catch up. 😊 

Your Havanese and my Lhasa Apso are kindred spirits. Mine was born to show dog parents, but he was deemed non-show quality, which is how he ended up my little guy 😊. He is waaay bigger than standard and has a bit of a leg deformity.  But he retained 3 things from his show dog genetics: his prance, his luxurious coat, and his complete distrust of strangers. Everyone is under suspicion! But he is so chill, he was a dream to train as a puppy. He is old now though, almost completely deaf and going blind 😞. It is hard to think of getting another dog when he passes since he was so relaxed and easy. 

Congrats on your new one!! Dogs really are the best!!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

Sorry for my delayed response since I'm the one that asked all the questions! I was doing a 2-day relay trail run in the middle of the mountains where WiFi was nonexistent and cell service was fleeting at best. Now I'm home, showered, rested, and eager to catch up. 😊 

Your Havanese and my Lhasa Apso are kindred spirits. Mine was born to show dog parents, but he was deemed non-show quality, which is how he ended up my little guy 😊. He is waaay bigger than standard and has a bit of a leg deformity.  But he retained 3 things from his show dog genetics: his prance, his luxurious coat, and his complete distrust of strangers. Everyone is under suspicion! But he is so chill, he was a dream to train as a puppy. He is old now though, almost completely deaf and going blind 😞. It is hard to think of getting another dog when he passes since he was so relaxed and easy. 

I had a lhaso ...she was 16 when she passed...she was the best 🙂

• Love 1
20 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

Thank you so much!!   One of the ladies in our dog club has the top winning Lhasa from last year.  He is just gorgeous.   I keep Elke in full coat which is so very interesting when you live on a farm with leaves and dirt everywhere!  The lady I am getting the poodle from said Elke is a "thinking" dog.  Well heck she sure is.  I have to choose what trials I enter because of certain judges.  But I love the Llasa too.

• Love 1

To whomever said the "Mr. Grumpy Pants" remark.

I am having more fun with this.  Had to get hubby up at 7 a.m. (poor thing).  His a/c has gone out on his truck so he has to use my car to go to town.  I told him yesterday he had to be back by 1 p.m. so I could go to dog training.

So this morning I took his coffee to the bed and said Time to get up  Mr. Grumpy Pants!  Cause he is grumpy about 75% of the time.

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, onthebubble said:

Very random. This is an ad that's currently doing the rounds on Aussie TV featuring the song 'fireball'.  I keep waiting for DCC to pop out from behind the tacos

We have this ad in the UK and I always seem to start the dance!

6 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Wow that was great.   If you haven't seen the movie Billy Elliot, it is worth watching.  I also saw it on Broadway a few years ago and loved it.

Ok, that's the title!  I was thinking of it when I heard about all of this, but couldn't remember the name right off.  I was also thinking that the DWTS cast just appeared on GMA to promote the upcoming season.  She's never been a fave of mine anyway.

17 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Wow that was great.   If you haven't seen the movie Billy Elliot, it is worth watching.  I also saw it on Broadway a few years ago and loved it.

My friend was one of the original Billy’s in the West End production and now is with a contemporary ballet company. His talent was always above and beyond our dance school!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

Geez, I watched the original clip from GMA, how nasty.  Ummm..Baryshnikov, anyone?

with Gregory Hines in "White Nights"....one of the best dance sequences on film ever...two very different styles yet so cohesive

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

with Gregory Hines in "White Nights"....one of the best dance sequences on film ever...two very different styles yet so cohesive

Loved that movie!  

Did you see that Amy has the chance to take classes from Savion Glover?

Edited by scorpio1031
9 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

You mean men dance?  Who ever would have thought that? 🙄

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

You mean men dance?  Who ever would have thought that? 🙄

Years ago the hubby got tickets to see Gregory Hines for me for my birthday...He was the opening act for Dionne Warwick (who put on a great show, but not why I was there). Hines sang a little (he had a great voice), chatted a little and dance A LOT...he was stupendous. His feet talked...(which doesn't make sense, I know)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

Years ago the hubby got tickets to see Gregory Hines for me for my birthday...He was the opening act for Dionne Warwick (who put on a great show, but not why I was there). Hines sang a little (he had a great voice), chatted a little and dance A LOT...he was stupendous. His feet talked...(which doesn't make sense, I know)

Hines is a legend.  Lucky you to see him perform in person!!!  As for his feet talking, it makes perfect sense to me.  You get it!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Ahem... Patrick Swayze...

He showed my Arabian colt years ago.  He was such a very nice person.   We were at the Egyptian Event in Kentucky.   People hounded him and he just wanted to be a regular person there.  He did a lot for for the Arabian breed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

He showed my Arabian colt years ago.  He was such a very nice person.   We were at the Egyptian Event in Kentucky.   People hounded him and he just wanted to be a regular person there.  He did a lot for for the Arabian breed.

Hunkahunkahunka that one...still gives me the vapors

40 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Ahem... Patrick Swayze...
eEmcGb.gif

And also this gif, because it's hilarious:
giphy.gif

That Dirty Dancing clip is literally my favorite scene of any movie ever made. When he turns around and starts dancing back towards the stage makes me swoon to this day. 

29 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Omg. I would have tried to control my fan girling. But I probably woulda passed out or exploded into pieces. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Also, one of my favorites, John Travolta.

I love the hell out of that other non-Grease movie he did with Olivia Newton-John, even though it’s so very, very bad. But Travolta is brutally hot in it and quite shirtless.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I love the hell out of that other non-Grease movie he did with Olivia Newton-John, even though it’s so very, very bad. But Travolta is brutally hot in it and quite shirtless.

Always wanted to see him on Dancing WTS.  Only recent year I really watched DWTS was with Carlton (from Fresh Prince of Bel Air).

• Love 1
19 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Two of a Kind wasn't the best choice for a John/Olivia reunion but it was nice to see them together again.  Still love ONJ to this day.

19 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Always wanted to see him on Dancing WTS.  Only recent year I really watched DWTS was with Carlton (from Fresh Prince of Bel Air).

The last year I watched was when Melissa R won:)

21 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Still love ONJ to this day.

My parents bought me the Bay City Rollers album I wanted for Christmas, and for some reason, they bought me the Olivia Newton-John album that had just come out.  Had never heard of her, but I loved it!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

The last year I watched was when Melissa R won:)

My parents bought me the Bay City Rollers album I wanted for Christmas, and for some reason, they bought me the Olivia Newton-John album that had just come out.  Had never heard of her, but I loved it!

Which one?

On 8/2/2019 at 12:05 PM, LincolnCentMe said:

While I was digging around for pics of Jenn K’s weight gain I stumbled upon this video of the unedited 1996 finals: https://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php/2013_04792

What I found most interesting was that a lot of these women were much heavier than the ladies who try out nowadays. 

I don't actually think they were any heavier than the girls now, I just think super high cut leotards with control tights are HELLA-unflattering.