Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

DCCFanInKy - well that sucks. Seriously.  

The Jay Johnson stuff used to be part of the show a lot, as many of us remember, and I always thought, "how the hell do these girls have lives outside of this 'volunteer' organization?"  Back in season 1, season 2 of the show, the girls discussed working out with Jay daily and all the encouragement he gave them throughout training camp, etc.  And training camp was like 12 weeks or something. I always wondered why they cut the training camp time (it is now 8 weeks) and I don’t know how much JJ is still a part of the organization.  He’s still a judge at auditions, we know that.  And now that K&J won’t allow anyone on the squad with a weight problem.... 

I am making this comment regarding the payment discussion above.  Time at job = $$$.

• Love 1

I'm bringing this over from the media thread, where there was some discussion about Evan Anderson and Sarah Idziak's younger sisters (Gaebri Anderson and Tessa Brennan, respectively) trying out for DCC this year.

Gaebri Anderson is dating convicted sex offender Greg Kelley. Or at least she was, as recently as summer of 2014 when he was convicted, and she has several videos supporting the "fight for GK" campaign on her youtube page.

This article from earlier this month has details on the Greg Kelley case.

This article is a page from the "Fight for GK" campaign, which is a group of strong supporters who do not believe he is guilty.

This article, is from a group that does believe he is guilty, and quotes Gaebri as his high school sweetheart

Who is to say whether he is guilty or not. (Well, I guess the judge and jury have declared it, actually), but regardless, I wonder if this kind of thing would hurt Gaebri's chances at becoming a DCC. She hasn't done anything wrong. And given that she moved to LA, probably broke it off with him some time in the last 18 months. However, the DCC have to be squeaky clean, above reproach in every way. Would Kelli and Judy look askance at someone who is still openly supporting a convicted pedophile? Even if she is related to a DCC who was very popular in her day? I kinda think "yes." Because it's sooooo easy to go with the headline "DCC connected to child molester" without digging into the backstory, whether he was railroaded, whether she was young and dumb for being with him, how much support he's getting from his church, etc.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

What a trainwreck. If she's serious about auditioning she should start by deleting her YouTube channel e.g "here's a dance I choreographed for my convicted sex offender boyfriend". Still think no way K&J would want to be associated with that situation though.

Edited by RhiRhi
  • Love 2

They're 'selective' as to back grounds and behavior on the team. If they like her, they'll say the past is the last and remove those references. If they don't, Bye Felicia.

Cases in point: Holly A - was a victim of the nude photo leak hacks (hacked photos to her husband were part of that massive celebrity leak last year) - no mention whatsoever. Personal photos, not her fault, but I thought she'd be gone for sure.

Whitney I - blackface party photos all over the media - definitely her fault and her choice - still kept her as point.

Whitney O - allegedly got pregnant on a USO tour or something revolving around, left, then was featured as a person who left to treat an eating disorder on the original special. My facts are blurry there, but they definitely spun it as she left to treat an eating disorder too off two years and reauditioned.

Then we have the girls who have drunk or scanty photos on social media, arrests, etc. and they're automatically gone.

My point is - that girl needs to scrub all references to a sex offender boyfriend ESPECIALLY if he's an ex. I remember Evan being on show group and having amazing hair, but I don't recall her being a favorite. Maybe that will help her sister.

Surely they could pay their cheerleaders to work full time - obviously not at quarterback salaries, but $25-30k per year isn't unreasonable.

For a part time cheerleader? Seriously?

I say pay the girls $1000.00 a game day, up to $500.00 for practices after the girls make the team, and some good discounts for dance classes after they make the team and help them during TC but do not start to pay the TC candidates until they make the team. 

I may be in the minority, but I don't think they deserve that much for a game.. or for practice. That's ANY cheerleader.

Honestly, these girls work hard and it seems like a demanding (almost second) job BUT I also think the girls get a lot of benefits as well as "fame" from this gig.  They travel all over the world (if Show Group), get free beauty (hair, lashes, sun tanning, etc) and get the allure of being "America's Sweethearts".  Besides, no one is making them do it ... that would be like me wanting money for volunteer work I do.  I think they're athletes and very talented but let's face it, without the DCC brand and benefits, a lot of them would just fade into one of the many pretty young faces in the U.S.

I completely agree!

WOW I just created a google map of the DFW area with Valley Ranch, AT&T Stadium and Frisco on it and Frisco is WAY further away from the stadium than VR.  Wonder if the girls will still have to meet @ the dance studio to catch the gameday bus or will have the option to get to the stadium on their own 

I was thinking about the move too. That COULD be a reason why some girls may leave.

I'd think a fair wage for the cheerleaders would be about $20-30 an hour (maybe rookies start at $20 and then $5 increase each year w/ a cap at $35). If any day goes over 8 hours, OT should go into effect. So if their report time for a game is 7:00AM to get on a bus and then they do a 4 hour 1:00pm game and don't get back to where they got the bus until 6:00PM, they should get OT for that last few hours. $150 a game, for what could be a 10-12 hour day cause they go early to rehearse before, is pathetic for the skill level and training involved to do what they do.

• Love 1

I do not know the laws in Texas, but the girls might have to go over 40 hours before being allowed to get overtime, so working ten or more hours for a home game may not be considered overtime. Being a DCC is considered a part time job, and the girls are told this when they try out or are considering trying out. In my opinion, the girls are not working when they sit on the bus heading to the stadium or are returning to the parking lot after the game to get to their vehicles to head home. If the girls are working 10 to 12 hours at $150.00, they are bringing in $12.50 to $15.00 a hour which is a lot more than most people who have a full time job trying to support themselves and a family. Do I think the girls should get more pay for home games and practices. Yes, but we need to remember Kelli is on a strict budget. I can imagine what it cost to run the DCC organization. I bet it is not cheap and every dollar is stretch to the max.

In my opinion, the girls are not working when they sit on the bus heading to the stadium or are returning to the parking lot after the game to get to their vehicles to head home.

Also not sure of Texas law, but it is the law in California that if you're taking employer-required transportation you're on the clock.

I know Kelli is on a strict budget, but the Cowboys rake in MILLIONS even when they're not a winning team.  They could afford to increase the DCC budget and pay these girls for their time so they don't have to try to cram part-time jobs together to support themselves.  I don't know many employers who would put up with giving a young employee so much time off to do DCC-related activities.  Which means many of them (not all) have to cobble together several part-time jobs just to make ends meet.  The organization could definitely afford to fork over some cash to pay these girls a living wage.

• Love 1

According to Kelli, she said the DCC budget is based on DCC revenue aka calendar sales, paid performances, DCC related merchandise, etc. etc. Some of the girls do have regular full time jobs. I cannot imagine how much it cost for the calendar shoot, training camp, USO holiday tours, and the DCC organization staff salaries and benefits.

My point is - that girl needs to scrub all references to a sex offender boyfriend ESPECIALLY if he's an ex. I remember Evan being on show group and having amazing hair, but I don't recall her being a favorite. Maybe that will help her sister.

Surely Evan has told her to take that GK stuff down immediately, right? Or at least make it private.I know Gaebri is only 19 or so, but in this day and age, how could you not be savvy enough to realize that once you put yourself out there as someone who is going to audition, people will be watching. 

By the time Gaebri auditions, all of that GK stuff will be two years in the past. She may think it's old news. But when I was scrolling through, I wasn't look at the dates, so it might as well have been yesterday. It would be smart to assume that people will look through all of your social media stuff since the day you opened your account.

Regarding how much the DCC make, I read somewhere that the Radio City Rockettes make about $1500 a week during their performance season. I wonder if the amount of time they invest in rehearsal and performance each week is comparable to the DCC.

Still with him? Please say you're kidding. I really hope she's not thinking "But I looooooove him and he's innocent, and I'll just explain that to Kelli and she'll totally understand that it's not fair that he's in prison and how great it is that I'm standing by him in the middle of all of this injustice."

No, sweetie. Kelli will not understand.

I predict if she does audition, and somehow makes it into training camp without this coming to light, she will mysteriously disappear from the show with no explanation whatsoever.

Edited by sleepyjean

I don't know if this is the place to discuss fandom for other teams/cheerleaders, but I'm an avid Broncos and DBC fan. I love our DBC. I found out that one of my favorite DBCs is leaving. Auditions are next month. I can't wait to see who re-auditions and who will make the team. I remember a couple of seasons ago, a four-year vet was cut at finals.

I'm years late on this but I agree with them.  I think it's tacky and it doesn't even make sense.  I mean seriously?  A cheer routine re: 9/11??  It's almost like they're using it for attention purposes.  I would get it if it were a dance routine -  maybe a lyrical

The comments I read on Facebook are mostly positive, but the ones who are offended think it's tacky to associate a cheerleading routine to a somber event.

Interesting ... it seemed more cheerleaderish to me.  That's a pity if that was dance - no emotions and no beauty.  Well ...I think it's tacky but that's just a personal opinion.  I also think people selling tshirts or mugs is tacky (unless that money is being donated to the victim's families ... and even then)

tobeyoungagain, it actually was a dance routine.

I don't know if this is the place to discuss fandom for other teams/cheerleaders, but I'm an avid Broncos and DBC fan.

I like the broncos cheerleaders. That seems like a classy organziation. I'd hate to perform in those chaps though.

• Love 1

I admit to liking the idea of a former DCC doing rookie makeovers. No offense to Kelli, but large city salons are not always the best when it comes to coloring, highlights, and hair cuts. I go to a local hometown salon for highlights and hair cuts, and the girl who cuts my hair and does the highlights is great, and the population of the area I live in is around 30,000.

Um . am I cray that I'm seriously debating running a race in Dallas just in hopes of meeting the cheerleaders and of course eating good bbq?

Since my friends are not fans like me, I probably wouldn't even be able to go to the locker rooms

New to the group here, been a big fan of the show and have been following y'alls convo's on here. Empty nester here, thought I'd join in on the fun!

Welcome, and jump right in - the water's fine! lol

I was just watching a video about how the LA Rams Cheerleader uniforms are made and their team director said "Our uniform is very very special. Throughout the league, we are probably the most recognized uniform."  I literally laughed out loud because...no. It's great she thinks their uniforms are special, but she is delusional if she thinks the Rams uniforms are more recognized than the DCC.

It would be interesting to see a similar special about the DCC uniforms, though

The Rams "signature" uniform is pretty although I don't care for the shiny fabric. Is that pleather?

01-Hannah_Exclusive-YDX_5535_0.jpg?itok=

I don't care for the other outfits I've seen them wear. Especially the bright blue top with the white shorts.

01-Hannah_Exclusive-YDX_5737_0.jpg?itok=

Hannah-St-Louis-Rams-cheerleaders-AP_831

Don't know if everyone introduces themselves but after watching this show and reading the old and this forum since S1 here I am.  I'm just past 60, live on a farm, have never danced or cheered in my entire life, never had a kid, but someone I love this show.  I did want to be a ballet dancer if that counts!  Will be posting a few questions also.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was just watching the video of the final audition for the Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleaders. Their finals are in a theater and open to the public. The dancing starts about 35 minutes into the video. Before they the women all take a turn walking around in a bikini (massive eye roll.) The dancing in this audition is really surprising. I thought since the women had to have learned the dance in advance, there would be a bit of difficulty to it. I'm not even sure I would call it dancing. More like posing to music. No kicks, no leaps, no turns, no splits, no energy to speak of. They don't seem to require any technique or flexibility to speak of. The most challenging part of it seemed be catching the beat. The song had no energy and at times the dancers looked like they were moving in slow motion. I don't know if it's like this every year, but wow. If this is the kind of dancing they do on the sidelines, it's almost...boring. I think you could make that team easy with zero dance background.

Edited by sleepyjean

Eagles fan here -- the bikinis don't surprise me at all. The non-cold weather version of the cheerleaders uniform is basically a bra and panties. But it's designed by Vera Wang (not a joke -- they really are), so it's classy;)

Their dancing has never been great, I have seen lines on that field that would infuriate Kelli and Judy:) they give them amazing makeovers though. I've seen them so many times up close and personal in boxes at events, and they are flawless. Just standing there flawless in their bikini style uniform while you are bundled up drinking a beer and eating wings so so nonsense!