Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

I saw that article and saw the pictures.  The irony of prospective cheerleaders getting the boot over speeding tickets or party-girl pics on the internet, while this player admits to going on a bar-hopping drinking binge, he beats the crap out of a girl, and then gets himself arrested, yet he STILL keeps his job, makes millions of dollars and has his bosses talking about what a leader he is.

Look up the term "double standard", and you'll find a pic of Jerry Jones.

They need to put Kelli in charge of background checks and terminations, lol. The Cowboys rep would skyrocket as role models even if they aren't having a good season.

• Love 1

Given what Jerry Jones wanted to do to the cheerleading squad, I am not surprised.  I wonder what Jerry's attitude towards women is and how he views them.  Are they just sex objects to him, only good for one thing, does he consider them his intellectual equals with interests and passions of their own or is it somewhere in between?  I'm wondering what he has said on the topic of women in the past and how he views them currently, given that he has a wife and daughter (and if they are speaking to him of their own volition).  

Greg Hardy's behavior and attitude towards women would have been termination- and jail-worthy elsewhere, especially if he wasn't a pro football player.  Take away that elite status and the money and you have a guy with issues.  Scratch that, Greg Hardy has issues no matter WHAT his status is, he just thinks he can get away with it more easily BECAUSE of his status and money (and the fact that Jerry has publicly stated that he's not getting rid of the guy despite said issues).

Edited by EricaShadows

It's really horrifying. I think it would be great if former DCC spoke out against the Cowboys organization because I'm sure it would get media attention. There's no way anyone involved with team now would do it -- they'd be fired instantly, and I'm including K and J in that.

Can you believe that Tony Romo probably re-broke his collar bone?  Damn what a mess.

Yes. I can believe it. Even though I am not a fan of the Cowboys, at the end of the day it's just a game and I really hope he can stay healthy..for himself..not for the Cowboys.

Hey All -

I am cleaning and came upon Deep in the Heart of Texas - the DCC triplets who wrote about their experience during the Cowboys heyday and the rise in popularity of Texas in the '70's AND I also have a beat up copy of NORTH DALLAS FORTY in paperback as well.

Would anyone like?

Can I ask SUCH A STOOPID question????

What is with everyone tying plaid button down shirts around their waists in Michelle Keys dance classes?  One of the videos posted in Current DCCs page (IG posting on Kitty Carter's Dance Studio) features a group of girls and everyone has on a tank top, leggings and that stupid shirt around their waist.  Doesn't it get in the way?

The classes look way fun.  But I just don't understand the purpose of the shirt.  And yes, there are many important things I should be wondering about but...

• Love 1

Can I ask SUCH A STOOPID question????

What is with everyone tying plaid button down shirts around their waists in Michelle Keys dance classes?  One of the videos posted in Current DCCs page (IG posting on Kitty Carter's Dance Studio) features a group of girls and everyone has on a tank top, leggings and that stupid shirt around their waist.  Doesn't it get in the way?

The classes look way fun.  But I just don't understand the purpose of the shirt.  And yes, there are many important things I should be wondering about but...

I was wondering about that too.

I did it back when I was a kid, but out of necessity. It was usually with a hooded sweatshirt. When you're outside somewhere (fair, festival, etc.) and don't want to carry it but it's too warm to wear. You just tie it around your waist.

Edited by MrsEVH

Well if California has the law that cheerleaders are employees and not independent contractors and NY passes the law this year, hopefully other states will follow. When a girl is injured, she is sent to the team's doctors and not presented with a bill. Doesn't that action come across as something that would be done for an employee?

I hope all these girls get what they deserve. In addition, if a team does not want to treat them right, they do have the option of not going forward with the cheerleading program. I know that sounds harsh.

Interesting article. 20 years ago, the DCC made $15 per game and that was it. I remember reading years ago that the reason the pay was so low, is because they wanted to attract a certain kind girl. A girl who was doing the job solely for the "honor" and prestige, and not to pay the bills.(There's an implication in there that I find really disturbing. As if people who have to actually support themselves are somehow less than those who don't.) But when you look at the disparity in pay back then, I really just makes the Cowboys look like misers who were exploiting girls because they could.

In most professions and industries, those who are the "best of the best" (as the DCC have long claimed to be) are paid more than those who have less experience, less talent, less...whatever. When you see it on paper, the fact that they didn't pay their game day entertainment/brand ambassadors for their effort was just bull. Pure and simple. I am sure the DCC are paid more now, but I wonder if it is commensurate with other NFL teams. And I wonder how it compares to the other Cowboys dance team. I would assume the DCC get paid way more, but then again, in the 90s, I would've assumed the DCC were paid more than any other team. And I would've been dead wrong.

I admire Bonnie-Jill. She is one of few DCC alumni who openly admits that it was a career move. She did her year and then moved on to bigger and better.

Cheerleaders now classified as employees and the OC Register is not pleased

By David Fucillo

[excerpt]

I took a few minutes to chat with Bonnie-Jill Laflin, who has worked as a cheerleader with the San Francisco 49ers, Golden State Warriors, and Dallas Cowboys.

Given the recent lawsuits, I asked her if the topic of employment status was ever discussed during her time as a cheerleader:

"When I was cheering, I went into it knowing that I wouldn't be an official "employee". I planned for it and made the arrangements I needed for it to work for me financially. Sports and dance were my passions so I was living a dream, with the best seats in the house. I cheered for the love of the game, not money!"
I wanted to get a handle on what kind of compensation we were talking about. Here's how she broken it down with her three experiences:

"Mid 90's Warriors-65.00 a game and 2 tickets for games 49ers-75.00 for games and 50.00 for practice and 2 tickets for the games Cowboys-15.00 for games no money for practice and had to pay for tickets."

Not sure where to post this but I think I just figured out a "workaround" for not being on a cable system that CMT is aired on to watch the videos online.  I have Comcast cable and I just found out that they've dropped the regular CMT and only have CMT Pure or whatever that is...

My Mom has another local provider that I didn't think was in CMT's list of providers that could watch video online.  Just found out it was.  Will be getting her login info ASAP so I can continue to watch DCC w/o having to switch providers (of course I still might switch because if I did my math right the monthly rate is only 75% of what I currently pay).  Hope I'm not rambling...I do that when I'm sleepy :)

Hi all! I am new to this site just wanted to give a shout out to everyone. I am a long time lurker of this board just never have posted. I have watched this show since the two hour special and love it enough to post a lot of my opinions I believe due to my slight obsession. My cable provider sent CMT to the sports package so I haven't been able to watch re-runs since and when the show starts I hope to catch it on the internet but at this point I think I may as well buy all the seasons on Amazon.

• Love 1

I got a phone call earlier from Nielsen TV Ratings to take part in a one week Nielsen TV Ratings viewing survey. The guy who called was from Dallas, Texas. I wanted to ask him if he ever saw or met one of the cheerleaders.

Hi, long time lurker here and was on old CMT forum. I am watching the finale of MTT 10 on YouTube and I just wanted to say how much I love the show . I live in England and in 2014 went to see the Cowboys at Wembley stadium. The Jaguars were the home team but some of the DCC performed the day before and were at the tailgate. It was so fantastic to see them, I was grinning like a twit and shrieking at my friends when I saw Kelli :) I can't wait for next MTT.

• Love 2
(edited)

Was just looking at the 2016 pro bowl cheerleaders (I know I'm behind) and seeing that some of them have lengthy tenures on their respective squads.  Before I saw that I thought Sydney D's time on DCC was the longest a cheerleader has served,  ETA - What's the shortest time a DCC has been on the team before going to PB?  There were 1-3 yr vets on the PB squad.

Edited by DCCFanInKy

I read today the new NFL stadium that is being built in Los Angeles is designed by the same architect as AT&T Stadium.  The journalist described it looking like a mall...which is what the new Cowboys training facility looks like!

So one of my husbands clients has a step daughter who cheers for the Panthers. Family and friends were offered the opportunity to purchase tickets - at $1800 each ticket.

Normal mid range hotels were $600/night. They stayed 2 nights. Airfare was close to $2k from clients's home outside of Pittsburgh to Super Bowl. One 12oz beer was $14.

The client dropped about $12k on one weekend, to see his kid cheer in the super bowl and of course watch the game lol. Now if we only factor in tickets as income that goes to the team franchise, (let's exclude hotel, airfare, concessions, etc) and also not consider inflated prices for the super bowl, then each team is still making a killing on tickets. Surely they could pay their cheerleaders to work full time - obviously not at quarterback salaries, but $25-30k per year isn't unreasonable.

The only problem with paying the girls $25,000 to $30,000 will be the budget. Kelli has stated the DCC organization budget is around one million dollars. Thirty four girls at $25,000 each will eat up around $850,000. Not much left over to cover expenses. We need to remember the budget needs to cover tryouts (prelims, semi-finals, finals,) the salaries of the staff, insurance, worker's comp, uniforms for the girls and training camp candidates outfits, calendar shoot expenses, training camp expenses, etc. etc. Right now the girls are not doing too much since the football season ended. Yes, they probably do some appearances and have practices, but they are not full time employees right now. Pay the girls for practices, appearances, game days, but in reality, the girls are not really full time employees since they do not work forty hours or more a week all year round. Also, Kelli has said the DCC budget is set by how much the DCCs bring in revenue every year aka calendar sales, appearances. etc. etc. The other NFL cheerleaders organizations might be in the same boat. And the sad fact is one million dollars may cover the expenses, but with the high cost of everything may eat up a lot of the budget even if the teams can get discounts when traveling or staying at certain hotels. Plus the DCC budget also covers the cost of All Stars girls too. They probably do not get paid, but they do need uniforms, makeup, hair styling, etc. etc. just like the regular squad does.

What really gets me is that the mascots for professional sports teams make around $50,000 a year. I don't know how much of that is base versus what they get for appearances, but I highly doubt they pay for themselves. It's something the team does because it adds to the fan experience, like fireworks during a touchdown. Sure the DCC provide a revenue stream, but the Cowboys can certainly afford to dip into their profits to pay what that doesn't cover. They'd just rather not.

And I would certainly hope the All Stars get paid! That Six Flags gig seemed like a total slog and I don't know why anyone would do that for free.

• Love 1

I say pay the girls $1000.00 a game day, up to $500.00 for practices after the girls make the team, and some good discounts for dance classes after they make the team and help them during TC but do not start to pay the TC candidates until they make the team. I think the veterans get paid for appearances made during TC. I also remember reading someplace rookies do not get paid for appearances their first year, and the veterans can get paid up to 500.00 for each paid appearances depending on how many years they were on the team. Is it fair about the budget or how much the girls are made? I say no, but I see how people across the country are struggling to pay bills on a daily basis and deserve better pay and better benefits also.

Not sure if appropriate to post here but I’m super impressed by Kelly outside of DCC.  She seems like a tough, pushy but supportive mom and her kids seem to be doing very well!  To be honest, I was a bit surprised that her daughter was getting accepted into Ivy Leagues and talking about going to Yale and Harvard.  Does anyone know if she actually got in?

What an accomplishment extending beyond just DCC … looks like Kelly wants her kids to be “more”?  (Not that there’s anything wrong with being DCC .. heck, I totally wish I had skipped college to do it!)

Kelli said the DCC organization usually takes in around one million dollars the last few years, and they use the money to run the team. Sorry for the confusion. I am dealing with a bad headache and pain above my eyes due to medical issues. I would love to see the DCC revenue and budget, but I am sure the information would not be shown to the viewers.

The only problem with paying the girls $25,000 to $30,000 will be the budget. Kelli has stated the DCC organization budget is around one million dollars. Thirty four girls at $25,000 each will eat up around $850,000. Not much left over to cover expenses. We need to remember the budget needs to cover tryouts (prelims, semi-finals, finals,) the salaries of the staff, insurance, worker's comp, uniforms for the girls and training camp candidates outfits, calendar shoot expenses, training camp expenses, etc. etc. Right now the girls are not doing too much since the football season ended. Yes, they probably do some appearances and have practices, but they are not full time employees right now. Pay the girls for practices, appearances, game days, but in reality, the girls are not really full time employees since they do not work forty hours or more a week all year round. Also, Kelli has said the DCC budget is set by how much the DCCs bring in revenue every year aka calendar sales, appearances. etc. etc. The other NFL cheerleaders organizations might be in the same boat. And the sad fact is one million dollars may cover the expenses, but with the high cost of everything may eat up a lot of the budget even if the teams can get discounts when traveling or staying at certain hotels. Plus the DCC budget also covers the cost of All Stars girls too. They probably do not get paid, but they do need uniforms, makeup, hair styling, etc. etc. just like the regular squad does.

I don't think training camp candidates are part of the team, nor should they be paid. I do think that if the girls were hired for full time work, they'd be free from other jobs to do far more appearances, host more camps, teach more classes, and market themselves a lot more. Are they financially as valuable as the actual players, coaches, etc., No. but they do deserve to receive more compensation than they're getting.

Honestly, these girls work hard and it seems like a demanding (almost second) job BUT I also think the girls get a lot of benefits as well as "fame" from this gig.  They travel all over the world (if Show Group), get free beauty (hair, lashes, sun tanning, etc) and get the allure of being "America's Sweethearts".  Besides, no one is making them do it ... that would be like me wanting money for volunteer work I do.  I think they're athletes and very talented but let's face it, without the DCC brand and benefits, a lot of them would just fade into one of the many pretty young faces in the U.S.

And, I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but many of these girls end up marrying really well and go from cheering on the cowboys to cheering on their hubbies.  Overall, I think it's a fair trade.  I would definitely do it if I were younger and I would think it would be worth it, even without the pay.

• Love 2