Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

I like Rush too. I saw them 3 times (Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals tours). When I saw your name I did think of that song. Love the live version from All the world's a stage .

NICE!  I saw their R40 show in Newark NJ in June, they still got it! 

Mine is pretty straightforward as it does not encompass my hobbies, work, life, family, or even my pets!!  It is a family name encompassing many generations but it is not part of my real name.  Was tired of using my cat's name!!

hello everyone! :)

Long time lurker from TWOP here...I started watching the show several years ago (not sure which season, I know Brooke was still on it) and now I look forward to it every year. I was on drill team/dance line in junior high and high school so that's what drew me to initially start watching. A couple of years ago I was laid up for 2 months after foot surgery so I had the opportunity to catch up on all the earlier seasons online and I discovered the TWOP boards. So glad you started these to replace them!

Mine is music related too!  I am a huge Rush fan, have been for years, so my name is a tribute to one of their much older songs "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"

I'm a huge Rush fan, too.  I even have an autographed post card from Neil Peart!

• Love 1

Another friend of mine was a national merit scholar (which covered his tuition) who worked full time as a manager in a canning factory every summer and then invested his entire salary (which was the equivalent of a normal person's annual salary) on the stock market to cover the rest of his expenses and he graduated in only three years with a double major.

I'm very curious...how did your friend get a job as manager in the summer only? Was it a place that hired extra people for the summer and laid them off once summer was over?

It was a canning facility and summer was their busy season for tomatoes so they were very willing to hire him for the summer only. It helped that he had started at the bottom when he was in high school so they knew that he was smart, responsible, etc. He worked crazy hours (60-80 hours per week all summer) but he said it was worth it to know his rent, food, car insurance, etc, would be paid for the rest of the year without having to work while school was in session. He came from a small town in the middle of nowhere. That canning factory was one of the few signs of industry for miles. He knew he wanted to get the hell out of there so he worked his ass off to get out as soon as he could (even though ironically that meant going back to work at the canning factory every summer).

My sister's college boyfriend came from a different small town in the same area. She said five people from his graduating class in high school went to college. He had a similar attitude. He wanted to get the hell out of his small town so he followed a similar path (saved money in high school, got a scholarship, worked full time every summer). The combination of not wanting to get stuck in your small town and knowing your family can't pay for you to go to college is a strong motivator!

• Love 2

Ok. Help me; what is "TWOP?" I'm assuming I'm the only person on here (or one of the very few) that isn't from there.

Television Without Pity (TWOP) was a television website/forum where a lot of us posted about this show until the site closed, last year I think? Most of us that posted there ended up here because someone linked it in the old thread there (yes that's right, there was just a singular run-on thread dedicated to this show, lol!) and the rest is history. :)

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 3

My SIL posted on Facebook today that her daughter (my step niece) is auditioning for the Columbus (OH) Blue Jackets Ice Crew on Sunday. I had to google them to see if they're all girls or coed. They seem like a lesser version of the Ice Girls/Angels. They do have uniforms and profile pictures on the site. Not sure if they dance or just clear off ice and do fan promotions. Anybody heard of this team? Are they semi- pro? 

I don' t know much about hockey. I've only been to one hockey game and that was because I had free tickets from DD's work and there was an after game concert with Slaughter and Great White.

Edited by MrsEVH

Hi all, I'm a loooong time lurker years back from TWoP days. This season, I just could not help but create an account to post. Some of the rookies have curious backstories (Colby, Taylor) and I'm more invested than ever before!

• Love 2

Hi Team,

Threat Level Midnight is the movie that Michael Scott wrote in one of "The Office" episodes. 

I only discovered the TWOP forum late in the game, maybe a few months before it closed.  So I never posted anything in there but I had a great time reading some of the posts!   

• Love 2

I'm also a former TWOPer - found you guys trying to be nosy about Courtney Cook and Hannah. I feel kind of guilty about it, too, because cheese and rice it's not like it's my business :) Oh well.

I love the show, it's my favorite guilty pleasure, and it's ten times worse because I live in Dallas. I graduated with a fashion degree from TCU in the early 2000's and therefore don't run in these circles anymore, but the camaraderie and sorority feel sure does take me back!

I just found this study guide for the DCC 2015 auditions. I have no idea who made it or where it came from. I wonder if it is based on questions from past tests. There are the typical questions about football and the team and the team's history, but there are also some that are really obscure, like the date the DCC made-for-tv movie debuted in the 70s. It wouldn't even occur to me to look that up, let alone memorize it. I'd fail for sure!

One of the questions is how many changes have been made to the uniform. The answer is seven. I only came up with four: making the stars detachable, adding crystals, doing that v-cut in the shorts in the 90s, and then changing the shorts back to the belted style. I wonder what the other changes are?

• Love 1

Well, if you count shrinking the shorts and adding the belt as two different steps, that brings us to five. I looked at some old photo and they've changed the collar on the blouse. That's six. That's all I could come up with.

ETA: They changed the belt buckle too, so I guess that's all seven!

Edited by sleepyjean

If you click on See More at the bottom, it takes you to more questions including how the uniform has changed seven times.

On Kelly's Twitter page, she says something about being a self appointed entertainment critic, so she probably did those questions.  But someone spelled Starr Spangler's name wrong.

I think there should be a Q&A section on the show - which TCC said she would take the uniform home and wash it?  What is Starr's real name?  Who was roommates with who?  You know - important stuff.

• Love 1

Just saw this on Facebook. I thought it was a wonderful performance--had me in tears. the interpretation of the song with the cheer was really great.

It is getting mixed reviews. Anyway--thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31NWuJtdJlQ

I saw this on Facebook a few days ago. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's kind of an odd mix because this style of cheer is more about precision than emotion. I will say -- and this is kind of ridiculous to comment on with the context -- but I'm really impressed with the bigger boned girl who is near the front at the beginning. She tumbles very well for someone with that build. I was built the same way at that age, and I did gymnastics/tumbling until I was out of high school. A lot of people along the way told me I was too big and it's not easy on the feelings at all.

• Love 1

I saw it a couple of days ago ago as well and couldn't finish watching. I thought it was so bad. I lived in Manhattan at the time of the attack and worked downtown so I saw a lot (including the second tower fall) but felt no emotions watching this.  Sorry!!!  

• Love 2

I saw it a couple of days ago ago as well and couldn't finish watching. I thought it was so bad. I lived in Manhattan at the time of the attack and worked downtown so I saw a lot (including the second tower fall) but felt no emotions watching this.  Sorry!!!  

I couldn't finish either.  I thought it was an ok routine, but I'm not sure what it had to do with 911.  I get emotional over almost everything, but this didn't do anything to me.

I think that if the intentions of those cheerleaders is sincere, then I'm ok with it. It's not a competition piece, and if they're showing appreciation and respect, good for them.

I agree. Not sure why people are "furious" about it.

I agree. Not sure why people are "furious" about it.

Are people really furious about this? I just don't understand the things people get mad about these days. I mean sure their routine doesn't convey a whole lot of emotion, but their hearts were in the right places at least.

Edited by Oranaiche

Are people really curious about this? I just don't understand the things people get mad about these days. I mean sure their routine doesn't convey a whole lot of emotion, but their hearts were in the right places at least.

The comments I read on Facebook are mostly positive, but the ones who are offended think it's tacky to associate a cheerleading routine to a somber event.

The comments I read on Facebook are mostly positive, but the ones who are offended think it's tacky to associate a cheerleading routine to a somber event.

I saw the video b/c an article popped up on my MSN feed as "9/11 tribute causes uproar; cheerleaders defend routine." So when I saw it, I was like "....seriously?" People are always finding ways to find issue with something. It was nice, but if anything, it just was poorly executed.

• Love 1

It needs to be kept in mind that these kids were babies, possibly not even born when 9/11 happened. It's clearly a school assembly and they're expressing pride in our country and trying to do something to commemorate an event they're not old enough to remember. I think it's quite nice.

• Love 3

It needs to be kept in mind that these kids were babies, possibly not even born when 9/11 happened. It's clearly a school assembly and they're expressing pride in our country and trying to do something to commemorate an event they're not old enough to remember. I think it's quite nice.

I agree. I like it and didn't see anything wrong with it at all. People are just too sensitive (and offended) by everything these days.

I couldn't find a forum to ask this question so figured I'd ask here. Do all the veterans have to audition all over again each year? And are the rookies to replace those that retire or don't make it through auditions? I'm trying to figure out if they go through that many women each year that they need this many rookies.

I couldn't find a forum to ask this question so figured I'd ask here. Do all the veterans have to audition all over again each year? And are the rookies to replace those that retire or don't make it through auditions? I'm trying to figure out if they go through that many women each year that they need this many rookies.

Veterans audition each year they want to be on the team.

Rookies "replace" veterans only in that they fill in open spots. If a veteran loses her spot, a rookie will fill it.

• Love 1

Rookies "replace" veterans only in that they fill in open spots. If a veteran loses her spot, a rookie will fill it.

In general, yes... but Kelli and Judy have the authority to tailor the size of the squad based on the talent in the rookie pool each year.  They don't have to fill X number of spots if there aren't enough girls who fit their sometimes odd idea of "field ready".

• Love 1

Got it. So, if there are no spots but extra rookies do the rookies sit on the sidelines ready to jump in if a veteran gets hurt during a game? I'm calling them rookies, but by this time they're a DCC.

Edited by bubbls

Got it. So, if there are no spots but extra rookies do the rookies sit on the sidelines ready to jump in if a veteran gets hurt during a game? I'm calling them rookies, but by this time they're a DCC.

No. There is no such thing as an "extra rookie." Once they make DCC, they will perform. No alternates. They just generally try to stay between 34-36 (typically) girls on the team.

• Love 1

I feel like we need a frequently asked questions thread that we can direct people to, lol. I just keep seeing the same questions that get asked over and over again. (Not referring to anything in this specific thread, just posting this here since it seems like the most appropriate place.)

There was that one season they took in one more girl than they had lockers. Now was that for real? If that was true, what did they do about getting her a locker? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I always wondered since it was the old stadium, and that locker room was small.