Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Such a challenging issue. While I support wearing whatever celebrates a person individually I think part of the problem relates to why cheerleaders exist in their current form. As the article states, they were born out of objectification.

Now they are professional athletes but they are still wearing a uniform designed to do what exactly? I think that's where I get stuck. The girls shouldn't have to change FOR men but at the same time they are wearing a uniform that was designed deliberately to attract MEN.

I think the bottom line in general is that NFL team owners, directors, managers, supervisors are likely mostly men who are still rooted to the idea that the cheerleaders are there to be sexy entertainers. How can they change that image?

I agree with everything about this post times one thousand.

I think a lot of changes in professional cheerleaders need to start with how the teams themselves treat their cheerleaders: 

1. Provide cheerleaders with better pay (especially if you're going to be demanding basically full-time hours from them)

2.  All teams should be providing free access to cheerleaders for anything required to be on the team. As a bare minimum, access to a trainer and nutritionist so that they can maintain their figures in healthy ways. Also, access to a PT or sports doctor to deal with and help prevent dancing related injuries. 

3. When trying to handle cheerleader schedules, give them basic professional courtesy and schedule meetings and appearances that are compatible with their schedule.

4. Market the cheerleaders as an integral part of the team instead of just as hot women in short skirts. Having personable employees who can also dance is a huge asset that teams are under utilizing. 

In terms of the image, I feel like NFL cheerleading is accidentally progressive in that cheerleaders are super sexualized in their roles as cheerleaders, but then (in theory) can also work as teachers, nurses, etc. without any pushback about the dancing. 

I feel like the uniforms don't need to be swapped out for leggings and workout gear, but to be more family-friendly maybe they should be a little longer than they currently are . To me the dances are a lot less family friendly than the uniforms are.

One more thing, I feel like any changes to NFL cheering need to be made with input from current or former cheerleaders, or at least with their needs in mind. As an outsider, I feel like I tend to gravitate towards how objectifying the uniform can be, but I feel like for a cheerleader pay is a much bigger deal.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

@HitItHarder..BAM can I just tell you your screen name gives me much needed chuckles! I swear that episode is way up there in the Plutocracy of MTT. It's on ALL the time (and I love it). Screeeeeeeem! 

Thank you 😁 honestly I haven't even seen the episode, but that clip of Kitty Carter training a TCC makes me laugh every time

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

Thank you 😁 honestly I haven't even seen the episode, but that clip of Kitty Carter training a TCC makes me laugh every time

I just now got this … 😆🤣😂😆

• LOL 3

Currently watching the women's all-around gymnastics final and cannot get out of my head that the Canadian gymnast, Brooklyn Moors, has a look of Dayton about her. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, go4luca said:

Another option for those who don't want to wait on iTunes or Amazon (which sometimes takes a day or two to upload the new episode, is sign up for Philo.  I believe the first 7 days are a free trial then $25/month.

But as @kalibean said above, a season pass with iTunes or Amazon is cheaper if you don't mind waiting when episodes sometimes get held up and post late.

Okay, so I’m getting ready to move and haven’t had cable for like four years. But what is this magic? $25 seems very reasonable for someone who only watches HGTV, this show and some cooking shows. I watch a lot of football, too, but I figure I’ll have more fun at a sports bar for the money of getting full out cable with ESPN.  Or buying the NFL package. 

I’m moving to a small market so not sure yet if they tend to pick Chiefs or Cowboys - KC is closer by a couple hours but Dallas is the larger market. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, kalibean said:

Okay, so I’m getting ready to move and haven’t had cable for like four years. But what is this magic? $25 seems very reasonable for someone who only watches HGTV, this show and some cooking shows. I watch a lot of football, too, but I figure I’ll have more fun at a sports bar for the money of getting full out cable with ESPN.  Or buying the NFL package. 

I’m moving to a small market so not sure yet if they tend to pick Chiefs or Cowboys - KC is closer by a couple hours but Dallas is the larger market. 

Sadly, Philo does not offer sports channels or packages (at least last time I checked). I believe they do offer HGTV.

You might want to consider YoutubeTV currently offering a special of $54.99/month for your first three months and includes CMT and several sports channels (plug in your zip code to see what's avail).  After 3 months the rate increases to their normal $64.99/month.  I may drop Sling Blue to go with the YoutubeTV 3 month special since adding Philo just to watch CMT brings me up to $60/month.  

I'm also a cord cutter and love the freedom of switching up my choices and ordering ala carte as needed.  I hate large cable bills and contracts.

Edited by go4luca
typos r us
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2021 at 6:57 PM, kalibean said:

I have Sling Blue. I pay $37.10 a month (just checked my credit card statement to be sure). You can add a package that includes CMT for an extra $6 a month. When the pandemic & lockdowns started, every so often Sling gives some of the add-on channels free for a limited time. At some point they briefly gave CMT as one of those limited-time free channels. That's how I saw last season. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I have Sling Blue. I pay $37.10 a month (just checked my credit card statement to be sure). You can add a package that includes CMT for an extra $6 a month. 

OOoOoooOo....many thanks for this tip as I have Sling Blue.  $6/month to add the comedy package that includes  CMT is a deal! 🤗

• Love 2

I remember checking into Sling before, so I’ll compare and see what works best for me. Thanks for the tips! I’ve been bumping along just fine with Netflix most of the time, but football starts and I start thinking about it again. 

• Love 2
On 9/3/2021 at 2:05 PM, veronicamers said:

OMG, my friend who knows I (very pro-choice) watch the show sent me this. Not sure whether to cry or laugh.  

image.jpeg

This meme is almost too much bc we are heading down some crazy slope well Texas seems to be anyway. I"m thankful I live in the Northeast. I always wonder what the ladies think about the current state of women's rights in Texas... 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, TB12 said:

This meme is almost too much bc we are heading down some crazy slope well Texas seems to be anyway. I"m thankful I live in the Northeast. I always wonder what the ladies think about the current state of women's rights in Texas... 

Too bad camp was already over, that would have been a saucy media day question. #metoo times a billion. 

• Love 5
On 9/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, veronicamers said:

OMG, my friend who knows I (very pro-choice) watch the show sent me this. Not sure whether to cry or laugh.  

image.jpeg

What I find the most sad about this (on several levels) is that Snopes had to fact check it to see if it is real. Not sure which is more sad: 1) That people no longer recognize satire or 2) That it is getting close enough to reality that people believe it. 

• Love 2

I know I'm probably one of few here who cares about other NFL teams, but I always love looking at the new unis across the NFL each year.

Colts 2020 - skater dress

colts2020.jpg.ac89e15859251f94de9ac7a639b17e85.jpg

Colts new for 2021- two piece (reveal vid: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTuVjNBDcIQ/)

colts2021.jpg.dfca0cb918c15efd76326043bc37c631.jpg

Bengals 2020 - white outfit

bengalscheerleading_CMFedQEhHIJ_158040657_1386728121727291_4283584778627228278_n.thumb.jpg.d48e777f83622a2d14216a8d91d159ba.jpg

Bengals - new for 2021 orange and black

bengals2021.jpg.3dc7dee39a5a56c1db85fd9597a896d1.jpg

Falcons 2020 - cold shoulder

Falcons2020.jpg.544bbd56a5739decf31e1138eec50baf.jpg

Falcons 2021 black throwback to the late 90s, early 00s

Falcons2021.jpg.8e0dad1050ffafcaaef87470623178cb.jpg

This is also the inaugural season Washington Entertainment Team. These look more appropriate for an NBA venue than an NFL football field. I know they're trying to do the hip hop thing now, but I wonder how well that translates to such a large stage. Poms serve a purpose. Without them, the visual presentation isn't as impactful.

WFTburgundy.jpg.ab3982fa14e49e16c5773c2c853bf4ac.jpg

WFTwhite.jpg.1faa3d05fef01f683ecca6e603603f96.jpg

WFTjacket.jpg.fc2dd373eddd31ed9cd697597d0a7c81.jpg

• Love 4

The WFT uniforms are cute with the jacket for appearances, IMO, but I’m kind of meh about them for the field. And agree about the poms too!

I follow the Seahawks and Chiefs cheer squads, but always happy to talk squad fashion for any team. Lol. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, kalibean said:

The WFT uniforms are cute with the jacket for appearances, IMO, but I’m kind of meh about them for the field. And agree about the poms too!

I follow the Seahawks and Chiefs cheer squads, but always happy to talk squad fashion for any team. Lol. 

Yay, Kali! Let's talk. Which did you like better, red or white?

496219556_2016Chiefs_AllisonChael.thumb.jpg.7f0674aa724e0412c267b14298b00e61.jpg1885919191_2017Chiefs_AllisonChael2.thumb.jpg.d77e9ac32d4eae0c0e73e700f7fdcab4.jpg

• Love 1

it's so nice to finally have some time to come back to the forum...

i missed y'all! i done graduated college, cheered all 3 years, got into my career field, and about to start a master's program next year! how has everyone been?

• Applause 1
  • Love 13
On 9/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, loveaux said:

i missed y'all! i done graduated college, cheered all 3 years, got into my career field, and about to start a master's program next year! how has everyone been?

Busy, Busy, Busy! Congratulations & welcome back. 

• Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 2:44 PM, sleepyjean said:

Yay, Kali! Let's talk. Which did you like better, red or white?

496219556_2016Chiefs_AllisonChael.thumb.jpg.7f0674aa724e0412c267b14298b00e61.jpg1885919191_2017Chiefs_AllisonChael2.thumb.jpg.d77e9ac32d4eae0c0e73e700f7fdcab4.jpg

I thought I answered this!! I swear I have the attention span of a toddler. I really like them both, but the white has great pop in that pic. Hard to beat red on the field, tho, so I’ll go with red ❤️💛 (And boo to that Ravens loss.)

@loveaux - congrats and welcome back!! That’s a lot of life you’ve been living. I met some of the best people in my life during my masters program, so will wish that for you as well. 

• Love 3
On 9/21/2021 at 2:33 PM, loveaux said:

Awwww congrats to you sounds like you've had a great, busy few years! :-)

• Love 1

If anyone here is looking for a family friendly series about a veterinarian and his family living in a remote part of African with lots of wild animals being focused check out Wild at Heart.  It ran for 7 seasons I think but I never knew about it until I found it on TubiTV.  Unfortunately it is leaving Tubi this month and I'll have to finish it on IMBD TV but it is still free there also.

It does have some drama but everyone keeps their clothes on and no one curses.  Amazing how that can be done nowadays and still be entertaining.

"Not me. She's still one of my favorites and I don't care what's on her IG. People are entitled to their own opinions and beliefs."

Seriously! If we ex-communicated every person we know whose beliefs we don't share, we'd be all alone in the world. This whole thing of you're an asshole if you don't believe the same things I believe is what has to stop. 

My circle of friends includes people of all socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds and ideologies. I have said this before and I'll say it again. We are friends because of who we are as people and we enjoy each others company, regardless what our registration cards say.

There are still some of us out there 🙂

Edited by RedDelicious
spacing
  • Love 7
On 9/3/2021 at 12:22 AM, Kamal said:

I wonder if they ever use this in a panel interview.

If they do, TPTB had better be prepared to be open to a pro-life response. Plenty of people--CMT and Cowboys fans alike--are strongly opposed to killing unborn babies.

2 hours ago, Grandma Moses said:

If they do, TPTB had better be prepared to be open to a pro-life response. Plenty of people--CMT and Cowboys fans alike--are strongly opposed to killing unborn babies.

Personally I think they should keep politics and hot topics like this out of DCC questions.  That question about the wall was completely out of line.  The DCC would be more likely to get asked their bra size than "what do you think of the wall."

• Love 4
On 9/7/2021 at 7:16 PM, go4luca said:

Sadly, Philo does not offer sports channels or packages (at least last time I checked). I believe they do offer HGTV.

You might want to consider YoutubeTV currently offering a special of $54.99/month for your first three months and includes CMT and several sports channels (plug in your zip code to see what's avail).  After 3 months the rate increases to their normal $64.99/month.  I may drop Sling Blue to go with the YoutubeTV 3 month special since adding Philo just to watch CMT brings me up to $60/month.  

I'm also a cord cutter and love the freedom of switching up my choices and ordering ala carte as needed.  I hate large cable bills and contracts.

Yeah, we’ve have YouTubeTv for close to 2 years, and I honestly don’t notice much of a difference between it and cable, minus that you can cancel it at any time. However, I mean that in a good way in that it has all of the channels that my husband and I watch, a really good sports package, and basically unlimited recording (some recording falls off after so long, but others don’t). It’s fairly pricey though, so if you don’t want cable-lite, it’s probably not a great option. I’m not sure that we really save that much since we upped our internet speed to prevent buffering with so much streaming going on, but I wouldn’t go back to cable at this point.

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Personally I think they should keep politics and hot topics like this out of DCC questions.  That question about the wall was completely out of line.  The DCC would be more likely to get asked their bra size than "what do you think of the wall."

Caila had posted about the wall on Twitter shortly before auditions, though, and I think that made her fair game for questioning.  It's of course okay for her to have her own opinion, but she needs to be able to speak clearly and thoughtfully about it if she's going to put her stance in the public eye.  Normally, I would say it's great to ask them about current events in a broader sense, without getting into their specific feelings about it.  Are they intelligent, can they hold a conversation, can they nicely deflect when a conversation goes sideways.

Mileage varies, and I have a lot of respect for those who can compartmentalize when their friends and family hold values that are so clearly different, aside from basic things like racism, sexism, etc.  But personally, I don't feel the need to continue the relationship when our core values are so different, especially if so much of their identity is wrapped up in it.  If we have different religions or different sports teams or a gin martini versus vodka, how we feel about hunting...those are things that we can differ on and still break bread together. And have a good robust discussion about it, and try to find some common ground and understanding.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, kalibean said:

Mileage varies, and I have a lot of respect for those who can compartmentalize when their friends and family hold values that are so clearly different, aside from basic things like racism, sexism, etc.  But personally, I don't feel the need to continue the relationship when our core values are so different, especially if so much of their identity is wrapped up in it.  If we have different religions or different sports teams or a gin martini versus vodka, how we feel about hunting...those are things that we can differ on and still break bread together. And have a good robust discussion about it, and try to find some common ground and understanding.

Yep, it’s all a matter of degrees. Having different preferences and different views on certain policies is not unusual, but there can become a point where ideology does say something about who someone is as a person. That doesn’t mean that it’s a “I’m good; they’re bad” scenario, but it might just mean it’s a “we have fundamentally different views and values and don’t need to be friends” type of deal.

I know some people who I have respected and had a pretty good relationship with for years, but recently, it seems like they’ve fallen hard for conspiracy theories, etc, whether it’s covid, the vaccines, the election, basically everything... Do I wish ill on them? Of course not, and if I see them, I’ll be cordial, but I’m going to sit there and listen to trash (IMO) and pretend like I believe there is validity to what they’re saying when I don’t. If other people choose to, I certainly respect that, but I’m not going to.

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 16
On 9/25/2021 at 6:43 AM, StellaCL said:

A few weeks ago Jerry Jones came out strongly in support of the vaccine mandate for the NFL in a radio interview. I am sure that would make Kelli and MTT producers do an about face and what has happened here with Klein’s placement and Natalie getting any air time this season.

Ignore the part about MTT producers, I didn't realize Natalie was a producer. 

On 9/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, An Offt said:

Jerry's stated beliefs and his actual beliefs might very well be different. Just a thought.

Good point @An Offt.  Moved this to a different thread as directed.

I think we know JJ's stance is about dollars and keeping his Cowboys in the news and pertinent and with a winning season. Otherwise, his personal beliefs probably don't give a damn about vaccine mandates or pandemics or masks or any extension into concern for society as a whole. I mean, I suppose he might, but ultimately it seems like the dollar signs.

I guess where I was going with the first post was - If JJ the business man is promoting pro-vaccination, Kelli wouldn't divert from that. Considering Kelli's "bubble" from season 15 and feeling "punched in the gut" when they had a positive test result, would she do things differently with her executive producer powers now that JJ came out as pro-vax and if she was aware of Natalie's tacky and ridiculous social media? Or would Kelli choose to stay a contradictory mess? If anything, common sense would be that the excessive highlights of the house and Klein/Natalie living arrangement in both episode 2 and the "overtime" segment should have been squashed, but I think it is safe to say the other MTT producers don't care.

Jerry's quote:

“Everyone has a right to make their own decisions regarding their health and their body. I believe in that completely – until your decision as to yourself impacts negatively many others. Then the common good takes over. And I’m arm waving here, but that has everything to do with the way I look at our team, the Cowboys, or the way I look at our society. We have got to check `I’ at the door and go forward with 'we.' Your Dallas Cowboys are doing that.”

Jerry Jones - during an appearance on Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan.

• Love 3

New discoveries about Natalie's personality aside, I don't mind that she's been sprinkled into some episodes over the years.  She was a candidate I rooted for back in the early days, and I do like seeing updates.  

I do think it's weird that it's kind of the fourth wall being broken since she's a producer and ZERO other alumni were featured.  Cassie didn't host anyone?  Any of the Jordans?  Nicole?  Kashara?  Shelly B? The other Shelly?  Some other awesome local ladies from the 2000's?  There are lots of recurring alumni that work with the organization who probably hosted, so why SO MUCH time with one person?

And that reminds me of Kat trying to find a place for her and her cat at a nail salon in Frisco. They really should have been providing housing of some sort all along, though maybe they do have a block of apartments in a corporate housing type of situation available at a reduced rate for the duration of camp.

I feel like it puts the TCC in a bad position if they don't feel comfortable in a stranger's house, aside from their feelings about guns in the home, masking, etc.  They might just not want to stay with a stranger but feel like they can't say no.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, kalibean said:

But personally, I don't feel the need to continue the relationship when our core values are so different, especially if so much of their identity is wrapped up in it. 

In spite of my post above, I did have to get rid of one person like that. I flat out don’t like people whose politics ARE their identity, regardless of which side they’re on. She pushed an agenda point in no less than 4 greeting cards she sent me last year. If someone can’t even leave their politics out of it long enough to wish someone else a Happy Birthday when they KNOW the other person feels differently, they’re toxic individuals. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

In spite of my post above, I did have to get rid of one person like that. I flat out don’t like people whose politics ARE their identity, regardless of which side they’re on. She pushed an agenda point in no less than 4 greeting cards she sent me last year. If someone can’t even leave their politics out of it long enough to wish someone else a Happy Birthday when they KNOW the other person feels differently, they’re toxic individuals. 

I agree.  My goal is to be welcoming to all and for my personal beliefs to remain unknown unless my opinion is directly solicited.  And I will not tolerate someone as you just described - if a person is so steadfast in his or her beliefs that incendiary or polarizing language cannot be left out of any conversation, I'm out.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, kalibean said:

I feel like it puts the TCC in a bad position if they don't feel comfortable in a stranger's house, aside from their feelings about guns in the home, masking, etc.  They might just not want to stay with a stranger but feel like they can't say no.

I agree with this completely. Several years ago I had a summer internship in a different city. The company told me that the intern each year stayed with a specific family and did summer work on their farm (and still paid room and board, so it wasn’t free or officially part of the job.) I wasn’t excited about staying with a family I’d never met, so I made arrangements to move in with some of my friends instead, and there were a lot of hard feelings. But it’s just not in my comfort zone to move in with another family for three months, and I’m sure there are others who feel the same way. If they want to show Kleine and Natalie together, the conversation they had seemed appropriate, or they could shoot some footage of Kleine rehearsing by the pool to showcase the house in a more subtle way. The tour of the house was a bit too much. 

• Love 7

I definitely feel like they should provide some sort of housing for the TCCs who need it. It would be one thing if it was an internship for a set amount of time. When I was in college and had a summer internship out of town, I was not provided housing, but I knew in advance that the internship was from date x to date y and could make arrangements accordingly. I had an aunt and uncle in the area, so I stayed with them, but others were able to sub-lease apartments, etc.

Here, the TCCs have no idea how long they will be in training camp, and I can imagine that if they’re from out of town, they may not want to stay in Dallas if they don’t make the team. It just seems like if they are going to insist on having a months-long process, the least they can do is provide a housing option for rookie TCCs, who need it - doesn’t have to be anything fancy or even free, just something at a reasonable rate for a college-aged person. 

• Love 4

Hmmm... Madeline is social sweetheart this week after getting at unfavorable edit on last week's episode of MTT and Dani was the first social sweetheart after falling during kickline. 

Is DCC using social sweetheart to do damage control when certain cheerleaders come off looking less than world class?

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Is anyone else having major problems with prime video not uploading the episodes for days after premiering? This is at least the second week where it’s still not up by late Sunday afternoon 😕 does anyone know if there’s a way to get a refund for the prime video season passes? I haven’t found much info online 

• Love 3

I sent a complaint to Amazon as I would think they would be contractually to have CMT upload them in a timely matinee. Now if it is because Amazon is not uploading them, then that is a different matter.  Doubt if I get a response!

Update-10:30 am Monday, still not uploaded

Edited by cherryblossom
Update
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

I sent a complaint to Amazon as I would think they would be contractually to have CMT upload them in a timely matinee. Now if it is because Amazon is not uploading them, then that is a different matter.  Doubt if I get a response!

Update-10:30 am Monday, still not uploaded

Yes, I believe iTunes had it up by noon Saturday so Amazon should definitely have the file. Since there’s no customer service with Amazon I might just have to go through my bank and try to get a refund since the service isn’t being provided at this point 

• Love 2