Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Well it's better than taking half the sheetrock off I suppose.

You'd think after all the times I've hung things on the wall I'd have gotten better at it. I assure you,  I haven't 🙂 

• LOL 3
On 1/17/2021 at 6:14 PM, Harrythecat said:

Just downloaded the PBS video app and watched the NFL cheerleaders documentary.  Wow

I watched it and thought it was good.  But I find a hard time explaining what I thought about it.  I think dancers should be paid better, so they can support themselves as a dancer, and just like my DH used to receive a monthly expense budget for "digital/technology expense" as a software consultant (it didn't really cover our expenses for internet, etc but defrayed costs) I think the ladies should receive a stipend for makeup, hair, nails  whatever is not covered by DCC but clearly expected. On the other hand if we are being totally honest their purpose is to entertain with their yes, dance, but also beauty and sex appeal. If we were truly concerned about their being taken "seriously" then we would not have them at all because at its core it is sexist. I think that is why the mavs got rid of their team because it is really difficult to ride that fence.  And sadly then we will talk about all the things we used to have that were sanitized because it is not PC or good for us, pro cheerleading will be one of them.

• Love 2

Greeting from Denver. How are you Texans holding out down there? Been thinking about y'all and praying for relief. It's unbelievable to me what is happening there. My thoughts are with y'all. Be safe. 

• Love 1
Just now, bjo1969 said:

Greeting from Denver. How are you Texans holding out down there? Been thinking about y'all and praying for relief. It's unbelievable to me what is happening there. My thoughts are with y'all. Be safe. 

My house was without power for 60 hours !!! It’s finally back on 

• Love 5
Just now, Holly85 said:

My house was without power for 60 hours !!! It’s finally back on 

That has got to be such a relief for you! I can't imagine what it's been like! We're used to that kind of weather in Colorado, but even what you've been through would be extreme for us.

2 hours ago, DCCOracle said:

And here we have another reason as to why the Cowboys and its owner are nothing but pieces of shit:

https://sports.yahoo.com/cfo-at-jerry-jones-gas-company-on-rising-prices-due-to-texas-freeze-like-hitting-the-jackpot-235448196.html

ETA: Her grandfather is making money off the misery of others... but pray for Texas! 🙄

image.png.4c044fae21754e96ed68507458520775.png

More and more is coming is coming out !!! 
we were facing a 4 month black out here in Texas!! 

I definitely feel for Texas.  Sadly, whoever thought that Texas having its own grid and not being connected to the rest of the country AND it being completely deregulated, then not doing any updates beyond the absolutely necessary over the years are idiots.  Residential utility bills are looking to be over $2000 or more and that's if they're lucky.  In many cases, that's at least 3 or 4 times their usual bills, possibly more. Businesses and other industries are looking at bills that are 7 to 10 times as much at least.  I can't remember the exact amounts I was told, but the utility bills will be staggering across the board.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, go4luca said:

I cannot stand "pray for____" and "thoughts & prayers" posts.  They all come across so fake.  🙄

Wow ~ no fake thoughts or prayers from me.  🙄 I truly cared. Sorry if that offended you. 🤐

Edited by bjo1969

Commercial on pluto I absolutely hate with all my being--that woman riding her exercise bike with that intense look on her face (with that huge blood vessel in her forehead) as if she is bicycling across the world.   The screen she is staring at so intently shows that workout coach giving her atta girls and it makes the woman ride harder and faster.  And then the next day she is lifting weights with her friend.  She pretends to be happy as a pig in slop.  No one is that happy riding an exercise bike.

I just hate it.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/21/2020 at 7:13 PM, parrotfeathers said:

I don't watch many Christmas movies, but if you haven't seen it be sure to watch The Christmas Candle.

Are you talking about this movie? I used Google to find the movie but I'm not sure if I found a correct one.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, mikerolland said:

Are you talking about this movie? I used Google to find the movie but I'm not sure if I found a correct one.

Thank you.

Yes, that's it.   Susan Boyle has a small part in it and sings.   Some people say it is sappy, but I thought it was quite good.

Does anyone here listen to the “Pod Ledom” podcast? Three friends recap America’s Next Top Model, and it’s freakin’ hilarious. Once they finish all the ANTM cycles, I really want them to take a crack at DCC: MTT. It has all the hallmarks of ANTM including earnest contestants and wildly inconsistent judging.

1 hour ago, onthebubble said:

People who can view the episodes on pluto can you please tell me - do they show seasons 1 and 2 at all?

Yep! The full DCC:MTT seasons 1 and 2 are shown. 

But not the 2 hour special that started it all. 

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, KnyghtRyder said:

Yep! The full DCC:MTT seasons 1 and 2 are shown. 

But not the 2 hour special that started is all. 

Fabulous! Thank you! We dont get it here so was deciding whether to get a VPN so i could steam it or not  but didnt want to bother if i couldnt see 1 and 2! 

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 6:00 PM, scorpio1031 said:

I don't like the big box covering most of the page with a notification:/

That new alert box notification is HUGE.  It almost gave me a heart attack the first time.

Re:  all the recent poll threads

Wish the mods could put all the polls in their own section.  There are so many.  Some of us aren't interested in the polls and want to keep up with the regular forum threads.

• Love 9
On 4/29/2021 at 3:38 PM, go4luca said:

Re:  all the recent poll threads

Wish the mods could put all the polls in their own section.  There are so many.  Some of us aren't interested in the polls and want to keep up with the regular forum threads.

I wish we had a thread on (but not a poll) on Who do you want to retire and why?
Also, Who do you want to return and why? 

I am new here (longtime reader - finally made an account), but I notice I have been replying to comments that don't have much to do with the topic thread. Even this one ... 

3 hours ago, StellaCL said:

I wish we had a thread on (but not a poll) on Who do you want to retire and why?
Also, Who do you want to return and why? 

I am new here (longtime reader - finally made an account), but I notice I have been replying to comments that don't have much to do with the topic thread. Even this one ... 

Standard procedure when nothing is really happening in the DCC world:)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I don't think enough people will see my post here but i do't know where to put it.  Maybe the mods would let it go in a more popular and read thread.

It's time for the annual Primetimer Awards.  You can nominate in each category (some of them are doozies).  One category this year:

***Not Just A Prop: Favorite Performance By An Inanimate Object***

I nominated Judy's stool.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DCCOracle said:

I miss Simon.

Simon wasn’t an insider, just a guy that befriended some DCC online who fed him info. I’d guess his contacts have now retired. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I might watch a little too much DCC Making the Team. Last night my husband and I were watching Sister Act, and during the final performance where they sing for the Pope, my husband turns to me and says “Wasn’t the choir bigger earlier?”. And the first thing that comes out of my mouth is “Maybe this is like a show group for the Pope! The best of the best who get to do special extra things!”

• LOL 5
14 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

I understand the frustration of some commenters who may think that talking about diversity is somehow taking away from white people's struggles, hard work and perseverance or their own talent. 

This is not my frustration at all, it's making comments against white people that would be completely unacceptable if turned around.  Race issues are never going to get better if one keeps putting down the other to get there.  I'm for an all POC team if they are the most qualified...I'm not for picking POC just to fill a quota. There are so many variables here, the only ones that can truly answer how they come to their decision is to question the judges (some of which are POC).  If you want to truly make things fair in life, then make it like masked dancer.  But that should also apply to job apps and college apps too, remove sex and race from the form altogether.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, klh25 said:

This is not my frustration at all, it's making comments against white people that would be completely unacceptable if turned around.  Race issues are never going to get better if one keeps putting down the other to get there

Please elaborate. I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying people of color are "putting down others" to resolve race issues? 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Tuxcat said:

Please elaborate. I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying people of color are "putting down others" to resolve race issues? 

In some cases yes, and that is not solving anything.  Moving forward is having good conversations, not putting down other races (any of them) to get your statement across.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, klh25 said:

This is not my frustration at all, it's making comments against white people that would be completely unacceptable if turned around.  Race issues are never going to get better if one keeps putting down the other to get there.  I'm for an all POC team if they are the most qualified...I'm not for picking POC just to fill a quota. There are so many variables here, the only ones that can truly answer how they come to their decision is to question the judges (some of which are POC).  If you want to truly make things fair in life, then make it like masked dancer.  But that should also apply to job apps and college apps too, remove sex and race from the form altogether.  

I don't think the comments are anti-white.  I think they're anti-TPTB.  There are those of us who believe the DCC purposely pick white girls because they're white more than they pick black girls because they're black.  If your belief that race doesn't matter was put into action, the DCC squad would be more diverse...and not because of pressure from the fans, but because the black candidates are just as talented, upstanding, polished, etc as the white ones.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Weeklydcc said:

I don't think the comments are anti-white.  I think they're anti-TPTB.  There are those of us who believe the DCC purposely pick white girls because they're white more than they pick black girls because they're black.  If your belief that race doesn't matter was put into action, the DCC squad would be more diverse...and not because of pressure from the fans, but because the black candidates are just as talented, upstanding, polished, etc as the white ones.

And those are all assumptions, you don't know any of that for sure.  If that is true than of course they are wrong for doing that.  I would also encourage more POC to try out.  

• Love 1

The problem is the false equivalencies that are being drawn here. There is no such thing as reverse racism. BIPOC in this country have been put in a position where they have had to defend themselves for hundreds of years because of systemic racism. Affirmative action has been necessary because of systemic racism. Making sure that diversity happens is necessary because of systemic racism. Since systemic racism is still a huge factor in everything, when this team is being built, it is important to take into account inclusion and representation. You look at the qualified candidates and build a squad that represents the make up of this country. If anyone believes that any of the women of color on this team are only on it to fill a quota, then that is a whole different issue that needs addressing. And I say all of this as a white woman who understands her privilege. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
28 minutes ago, kalibean said:

I guess I just find some of these takes disheartening.  You can take a super scraggly white guy off the street, get him a great haircut and an Armani suit and maybe he looks and feels like a million bucks.  We've probably all seen feel good videos on Facebook showing how great some of these men feel after a shower and shave.  You'd never know he'd been living on the streets, and he might just look like any other upper middle class white guy.

A black guy could be wearing that same suit and also looking and feeling like a million bucks, and there are a ton of people in this world that will see his black skin first and treat him accordingly.  Plenty of people might have been raised that way and are learning and adjusting their mind view, which is great.  But plenty aren't, or refuse to see that to too many, skin color is the first or only cast of judgement.  And I don't get why there's such a lack of empathy or understanding about it.

Layer in systemic racism and looking at the class divide within American minority groups, and knowing that being a DCC is a rich girl's game, the odds aren't stacked evenly at the get go.  Shoot, even taking dance classes is nearly impossible...if your parents are working two jobs to make ends meet and put food on the table, they probably don't have the extra cash for dance classes nor time in their schedule to sit around the studio.

Now would a black TCU showgirl and a white TCU showgirl be judged similarly by the TPTB?  Maybe.  Because at that stage in the game, they likely had similar dance training or similar recommendations by coaches.  Or maybe they've decided there are too many dark skinned girls in the bouquet that year, hard to say.  But if that same black TCU showgirl grew up on the same street as the white TCU showgirl, odds are her parents didn't.  There is generational wealth amongst black families in the United States, but dollars to donuts the percentages don't match up.  And we've got some work to do as a society to make sure all kiddos in this country have access to be and do whatever they want no matter their skin tone. 

Bravo.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Weeklydcc said:

THANK YOU. This shouldn’t be that hard to understand.

1 hour ago, kalibean said:

I guess I just find some of these takes disheartening.  You can take a super scraggly white guy off the street, get him a great haircut and an Armani suit and maybe he looks and feels like a million bucks.  We've probably all seen feel good videos on Facebook showing how great some of these men feel after a shower and shave.  You'd never know he'd been living on the streets, and he might just look like any other upper middle class white guy.

A black guy could be wearing that same suit and also looking and feeling like a million bucks, and there are a ton of people in this world that will see his black skin first and treat him accordingly.  Plenty of people might have been raised that way and are learning and adjusting their mind view, which is great.  But plenty aren't, or refuse to see that to too many, skin color is the first or only cast of judgement.  And I don't get why there's such a lack of empathy or understanding about it.

Layer in systemic racism and looking at the class divide within American minority groups, and knowing that being a DCC is a rich girl's game, the odds aren't stacked evenly at the get go.  Shoot, even taking dance classes is nearly impossible...if your parents are working two jobs to make ends meet and put food on the table, they probably don't have the extra cash for dance classes nor time in their schedule to sit around the studio.

Now would a black TCU showgirl and a white TCU showgirl be judged similarly by the TPTB?  Maybe.  Because at that stage in the game, they likely had similar dance training or similar recommendations by coaches.  Or maybe they've decided there are too many dark skinned girls in the bouquet that year, hard to say.  But if that same black TCU showgirl grew up on the same street as the white TCU showgirl, odds are her parents didn't.  There is generational wealth amongst black families in the United States, but dollars to donuts the percentages don't match up.  And we've got some work to do as a society to make sure all kiddos in this country have access to be and do whatever they want no matter their skin tone. 

Also this. You all are far too kind and patient in explaining this. But bravo🙌🏻.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, klh25 said:

The bold applies to everything though, right? People speculate about why certain girls get cut all of the time, but it seems like bringing up race is the only thing that bothers some people about the discussion about who does and who does not make the team. It's unquestionable that the DCCs are not based solely on talent. We have seen that excellent dancers don't make it for weight, or their face, or their body type, etc. As you said, there are a lot of variables. Given that, do you really think race has no bearing at all on who makes the team? Do you think that race has no bearing on who shows up to tryouts in the first place when everyone knows that they need to have the "DCC look," and what is the typical picture of a DCC that most people have (I don't think most people would say that it's a woman of color)? 

I think everyone would prefer a world where everything is based solely on merit, but systemic issues are present and can't be ignored. Like when it comes to college apps, some of the people who don't want race or sex to be considered throw a fit if re-zoning their kids high school is discussed and would never ever send their kid to a "bad school" or predominately minority school. Why? If the kid is so smart, then shouldn't he/she be just fine at the bad school? Of course not! We all recognize in some form or another that there are other factors besides individual merit that impacts how successful someone will be. 

To be clear, I don't think anyone should put down any race or anyone because of race. That is wrong, but discussing why there is a lack of diversity isn't doing that, IMO. 

• Love 12

I wasn’t going to chime in but I’m a POC and I’ve noticed a lot of comments regarding race lately. I disagree that these comments calling attention to the lack of diversity of the team are an attack on white people. Not calling attention to the issue doesn’t resolve race issues.  Saying that POC should be accepted only if they’re qualified ignores the fact that year after year, TPTB have taken girls who are definitely not field ready but fit a certain look that they like. I think that some POC may be discouraged from trying out when they know they already may not have the aesthetic that TPTB are looking for and there is a chance that they could be the only POC or one of few on the team. 

• Love 16
(edited)

This article was pretty interesting.   It has some quotes from a few former DCC to include Melissa Wallace.  I never understood why the onus is always on the NFL Cheerleader to be responsible for the behaviour of men.   Instead of changing the culuture from within and treating these professional atheletes with respect, they (NFL team owners) choose to disband the team (The Washington Football Team no longer has a pro cheerleading squad).   That is so weird to me.  Anyways,  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/06/28/how-fixes-to-cheerleading-are-hurting-women-daily-cover

Edited by SMP637
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, SMP637 said:

This article was pretty interesting.   It has some quotes from a few former DCC to include Melissa Wallace.  I never understood why the onus is always on the NFL Cheerleader to be responsible for the behaviour of men.   Instead of changing the culuture from within and treating these professional atheletes with respect, they (NFL team owners) choose to disband the team (The Washington Football Team no longer has a pro cheerleading squad).   That is so weird to me.  Anyways,  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/06/28/how-fixes-to-cheerleading-are-hurting-women-daily-cover

Such a challenging issue. While I support wearing whatever celebrates a person individually I think part of the problem relates to why cheerleaders exist in their current form. As the article states, they were born out of objectification.

Now they are professional athletes but they are still wearing a uniform designed to do what exactly? I think that's where I get stuck. The girls shouldn't have to change FOR men but at the same time they are wearing a uniform that was designed deliberately to attract MEN.

I think the bottom line in general is that NFL team owners, directors, managers, supervisors are likely mostly men who are still rooted to the idea that the cheerleaders are there to be sexy entertainers. How can they change that image?

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, SMP637 said:

(The Washington Football Team no longer has a pro cheerleading squad).  

They do, they’re just branding it as a “co-ed dance squad” and not calling them cheerleaders. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, MaryWebGirl said:

They do, they’re just branding it as a “co-ed dance squad” and not calling them cheerleaders. 

that reminds me, what the heck is up with the mavs team/squad? is that still a thing? are tara and simone still on it? lol

(edited)
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

Such a challenging issue. While I support wearing whatever celebrates a person individually I think part of the problem relates to why cheerleaders exist in their current form. As the article states, they were born out of objectification.

Now they are professional athletes but they are still wearing a uniform designed to do what exactly? I think that's where I get stuck. The girls shouldn't have to change FOR men but at the same time they are wearing a uniform that was designed deliberately to attract MEN.

I think the bottom line in general is that NFL team owners, directors, managers, supervisors are likely mostly men who are still rooted to the idea that the cheerleaders are there to be sexy entertainers. How can they change that image?

A start would be to revamp the uniform, like the Miami Dolphins did.  They are still sexy, but they don't scream SEX.  The shorts that DCC wear now look like panties.... back in the 1990s - early 2000s, they were longer, so I know it can be done. 

They could also use their social media more responsibly.  Instead of focusing on hair/nails/tan/teeth sponsorships, they could highlight more of the phenomenal dancing, community service,  and life outside of cheerleading. 

Again look at the Miami Dolphins... they had a toxic work environment that resulted in key staff getting fired.  Under new management,  they completely changed their image and they are now, in my opinion, one of the top pro-cheer teams in the NFL. 

When you look at the Dolphins social media page, you see the involvement in the community (ie the annual bike-a-thon to raise money for cancer research and the annual dance showcase that highlights underserved high schools) you learn about the cheerleaders outside of the uniform and they are professionals, intelligent, diverse, and dynamic.  Do you remember the campaign they did sans makeup.... that was AWESOME!  

Another example, the Tennessee Titans.  They give you glimpses of their practices and that team is AMAZING!  They stunt, dance, and tumble.  Plus they heavily highlight their involvement in the community.  Don't quote me on this,  but I believe they won an award for their involvement in their community. 

When you look at those two teams and compare them to other pro-cheer teams in the NFL,  you see more than just sex objects shaking ass on the field.  You see elite athletes, community leaders, and empowered professional women (and men).  Don't get me wrong,  I LOVE the DCC, but they could do soooooo much more to change the narrative/stigma of being a pro cheerleader.  

Edited by SMP637
  • Love 10