Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

(edited)

My mini Schnauzer never would let me near him with electric clippers, so I bought the manual clippers, and that worked out very well.  

I also would clip first, and then give him a bath.     That way his fur didn't mat from the bath, and I wasn't washing fur I was going to clip anyway.  

I'm very glad I let my hair grow out to shoulder length a few years ago, and do my own hair color.      I am really nervous about even going to the chain place I was using for a trim.    After another location (in Missouri, but I'm in Alabama) had two beauticians that exposed hundreds of clients, and co-workers to Covid, I'm not sure I'm ready to go for something optional.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 6/6/2020 at 10:45 PM, BluegrassDCCFan said:

I thought maybe there already had been.  I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this forum/CMT/DCC the last week or so.  I need to figure out a way to cut my cable/internet bill in half.  It's the most expensive bill I have (excluding my rent).  Been wanting to drop CMT for a  while now but haven't due to the show.  Also not sure if I can even watch on Pluto if I don't subscribe to CMT (do you know??)

We ditched our satellite service and went with the Amazon FireStick. Pluto is one of the apps that came with it. We've been saving $150/mo.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My mini Schnauzer never would let me near him with electric clippers, so I bought the manual clippers, and that worked out very well.  

I also would clip first, and then give him a bath.     That way his fur didn't mat from the bath, and I wasn't washing fur I was going to clip anyway.  

I'm very glad I let my hair grow out to shoulder length a few years ago, and do my own hair color.      I am really nervous about even going to the chain place I was using for a trim.    After another location (in Missouri, but I'm in Alabama) had two beauticians that exposed hundreds of clients, and co-workers to Covid, I'm not sure I'm ready to go for something optional.  

My parents live in that town and we were just talking about it this morning!  Of the 192 people they directly exposed, the health department is saying that no new cases were caused from it.  They both had been wearing masks, thank goodness!  Hardly anyone has been wearing them here on the rare occasion we've ventured out.  

I don't blame you one bit for waiting, though.  The only reason I went last week is because my friend owns the hair salon and I trusted that she would do all that she could to keep us both safe.  It was weird wearing a mask while having my hair cut and colored, but well worth it!  (I also waited in the car until told to come in, doors had been propped open, sanitizer everywhere, temperature taken, masks worn the whole time by me, the two stylists in the salon and the other client.  And I wasn't close to anyone but my friend the whole time.  I still feel really funny about going, though, honestly.  

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

1 hour ago, kalibean said:

My parents live in that town and we were just talking about it this morning!  Of the 192 people they directly exposed, the health department is saying that no new cases were caused from it.  They both had been wearing masks, thank goodness!  Hardly anyone has been wearing them here on the rare occasion we've ventured out.  

I don't blame you one bit for waiting, though.  The only reason I went last week is because my friend owns the hair salon and I trusted that she would do all that she could to keep us both safe.  It was weird wearing a mask while having my hair cut and colored, but well worth it!  (I also waited in the car until told to come in, doors had been propped open, sanitizer everywhere, temperature taken, masks worn the whole time by me, the two stylists in the salon and the other client.  And I wasn't close to anyone but my friend the whole time.  I still feel really funny about going, though, honestly.  

I'm not worried at all about going to the hair salon.  When I went last week, the stylist wore a mask the entire time she was doing my hair.  I can't wear a mask for more than a few minutes at a time so she threw a towel over my face while she was shampooing the color out.  Mine and my Mom's pups have an appt to get groomed in about a week (the soonest they could get in even on the first day of making appointments) and I can't wait.  I'm sure my poor Annabelle can't either....poor dog's hair is down in her eyes and I swear she almost ran into something the other day because of it 😞🐶

pupper won't even come lay on his spot with me on the couch since yesterday 🤣 He's definitely not feeling me at all. I clipped him down and gave him a bath and I've been getting the stink eye from hell from him lol

and on the topic of salons and what not, my nail salon opens back up next week. She's got a plastic sheet covering her work station and we have to wear a mask, as well as she has a plastic board-thing up separating us from her. I think it's pretty good that she's taken the extra precautions, since we still don't know what in the hell our city is doing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another reason I am avoiding the hair salon, is my usual hair cutter is the assistant manager, and I'm betting she'll be working every hour she can get.   She keeps telling me how cute a shorter cut would be, and what she thinks would be 'so cute', but that's my mother's haircut.  I will never go back to that haircut.   That woman just doesn't get it, and I'm nervous that she'll do something sneaky.   (I heard her talking to another beautician at my last appointment, about how she eventually gets her own way about customer's haircuts).  

Until I hit college, my mother demanded that I have that haircut or move out, and I never will get that cut again.   I'd rather go back to my pixie cut instead, if I had to cut my hair off for some reason.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Another reason I am avoiding the hair salon, is my usual hair cutter is the assistant manager, and I'm betting she'll be working every hour she can get.   She keeps telling me how cute a shorter cut would be, and what she thinks would be 'so cute', but that's my mother's haircut.  I will never go back to that haircut.   That woman just doesn't get it, and I'm nervous that she'll do something sneaky.   (I heard her talking to another beautician at my last appointment, about how she eventually gets her own way about customer's haircuts).  

Until I hit college, my mother demanded that I have that haircut or move out, and I never will get that cut again.   I'd rather go back to my pixie cut instead, if I had to cut my hair off for some reason.     

Get a new salon if possible.  Should be your decision!  Sounds like the assistant manager is out to prove something.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Get a new salon if possible.  Should be your decision!  Sounds like the assistant manager is out to prove something.

I went to a stylist who told me that he feels that if a stylist ever tries to push their thinking on you that you have a right to just say "nope" and get up & leave.  Obviously they're entitled to an opinion, but they need to respect what their clients want.

• Love 2

I walk my neighbours dog, hang up from the one exercise a day thing, I took her out on my walk too so she could go out enough. We thought she was getting fat as her harness was really tight and had to let it out a couple of times. Nope turns out she was just super fluffy, she got cut on Sunday and it actually skinnier than the beginning of lockdown, she looks like a different dog.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2020 at 10:18 PM, loveaux said:

Has anyone else taken on the responsibility of pet groomer? I'm genuinely convinced my dog hates me now 🤣

Oh yes learned to do my mini poodle face, feet, etc.  Their faces need trimming every 3 weeks or so.   It took a few times but I finally feel comfortable with it.  Then did one of the farm dogs but he kinda turned out gapped up.  Gotta straighten that up tomorrow.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Nelliephant said:

I walk my neighbours dog, hang up from the one exercise a day thing, I took her out on my walk too so she could go out enough. We thought she was getting fat as her harness was really tight and had to let it out a couple of times. Nope turns out she was just super fluffy, she got cut on Sunday and it actually skinnier than the beginning of lockdown, she looks like a different dog.

Our shop dog has a lot of hair and people think she's fat, but we get her hair cut once a year and she's a lot smaller. The first time we did it years ago, I didn't recognize her. I asked my mom whose dog it was. Lol I also thought our house dog was getting fat, but my mom says he just needs a haircut. She took him to the vet today and he only weighs 13 pounds. I'll be interested to see what he looks like after a haircut again. 

• LOL 3
(edited)

Years ago, a friend's son dropped their dog off at the groomer (they used a big pet kennel to take the dog there, so it was safe in the car, and not in contact with other dogs).     The dog was a cocker spaniel, and they did a shorter cut for summer.    The wife picked up the dog, still in the carrier, but she called her husband because when she got the dog home, it wouldn't come out of the kennel, and growled at her.      They thought something awful happened, until the husband looked at the dog, and said it wasn't their dog. 

It turned out the groomer had another similar looking Cocker there that day, that was supposed to be a show clip (it was a show dog).   So the show dog got clipped for summer, meaning it couldn't show for months.    The owner called the groomer, and the two dogs were swapped back, but the other owners were furious.    Plus, the friend's dog had to be reclipped for summer.   

I believe after that the friend's son and wife went to a groomer where they waited until the dog was done, and then took him back home, or may be a mobile groomer.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Years ago, a friend's son dropped their dog off at the groomer (they used a big pet kennel to take the dog there, so it was safe in the car, and not in contact with other dogs).     The dog was a cocker spaniel, and they did a shorter cut for summer.    The wife picked up the dog, still in the carrier, but she called her husband because when she got the dog home, it wouldn't come out of the kennel, and growled at her.      They thought something awful happened, until the husband looked at the dog, and said it wasn't their dog. 

It turned out the groomer had another similar looking Cocker there that day, that was supposed to be a show clip (it was a show dog).   So the show dog got clipped for summer, meaning it couldn't show for months.    The owner called the groomer, and the two dogs were swapped back, but the other owners were furious.    Plus, the friend's dog had to be reclipped for summer.   

I believe after that the friend's son and wife went to a groomer where they waited until the dog was done, and then took him back home, or may be a mobile groomer.   

What a catastrophe for the show dog.  It takes a year probably to get a cocker in proper coat to show.  I bet they were mad as hornets!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Holly85 said:

The bars in are already being closed down for a month for violations 

I just don't see any state getting back to anywhere near normal until 2021.  At least restaurants in KY can go to 50% capacity today.  Still no word on when the "temporary visiting restrictions" will be lifted at the local hospital (and until that happens I can forget about volunteering).  Also I don't know why the heck employers are posting jobs online or in the newspaper.  Nobody's hiring due to COVID19.  I've applied to 2-3 jobs since the pandemic began and haven't gotten an interview.  My Mom's office posted a job on Facebook today but they have a rule against families working in the same area (front desk/reception/case manager).

I have an instagram question.  I only follow 3 things--DCC, Navarro and Ina Garten.  But it says I have all these people following me.  Is that true or just an Instagram trick?  I've never made a post so I don't know why people I don't know would want to follow me?

Thanks for helping!

(edited)
5 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I have an instagram question.  I only follow 3 things--DCC, Navarro and Ina Garten.  But it says I have all these people following me.  Is that true or just an Instagram trick?  I've never made a post so I don't know why people I don't know would want to follow me?

Thanks for helping!

With Instagram you can fix it to where your account is "private" (You have to approve your followers).  I don't have anyone following me.  I've never made a post either.  I don't post on IG or Twitter (well on Twitter I respond to and "like" tweets and occasionally will private message a specifically news/weather personality).

Edited by BluegrassDCCFan
hit enter before I finished my thought

My "in style" gripe of the day.   I don't know who made it fashionable but I hate it when the in crowd girl has the whole shirt tail out but stuffs that tiny bit in the front into the jeans/pants/whatever.    I hope it goes out soon.  

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

My "in style" gripe of the day.   I don't know who made it fashionable but I hate it when the in crowd girl has the whole shirt tail out but stuffs that tiny bit in the front into the jeans/pants/whatever.    I hope it goes out soon.  

The "french tuck".  I agree.  It's weird.  I also hate when dudes wear their pants so low and baggy you see half their butt crack.

• Love 1

A few years ago, I was in the grocery store.  A couple of young men passed me, and both had their pants very low.   Then one's pants fell down to his ankles, and tripped him.    The guy with him laughed at him, but no one else did.    The one who fell down certainly didn't look so brash after he stood up.  

I used to work at one of the local malls a VERY long time ago.  A guy who sagged his pants was caught by mall security for doing something stupid (shoplifting, I think) and was taken to the food court to wait for police.  He was handcuffed behind his back but managed to get them in front of him and bolted.  Security chased him and caught him in a parking lot at the other end of the mall because his sagging pants fell down and tripped him up.  I don't remember what happened to him, but suspect that another charge was added to whatever stupid thing he got caught doing.

• Useful 1
41 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

I used to work at one of the local malls a VERY long time ago.  A guy who sagged his pants was caught by mall security for doing something stupid (shoplifting, I think) and was taken to the food court to wait for police.  He was handcuffed behind his back but managed to get them in front of him and bolted.  Security chased him and caught him in a parking lot at the other end of the mall because his sagging pants fell down and tripped him up.  I don't remember what happened to him, but suspect that another charge was added to whatever stupid thing he got caught doing.

Was the dude double jointed?

3 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I used to work at one of the local malls a VERY long time ago.  A guy who sagged his pants was caught by mall security for doing something stupid (shoplifting, I think) and was taken to the food court to wait for police.  He was handcuffed behind his back but managed to get them in front of him and bolted.  Security chased him and caught him in a parking lot at the other end of the mall because his sagging pants fell down and tripped him up.  I don't remember what happened to him, but suspect that another charge was added to whatever stupid thing he got caught doing

Haha this reminds me of a funny story.  My Dad was a Pharmacist with a major grocery store chain for many years.  The store office stairs were right next to the Pharmacy and a bank branch inside the store.  One day the store security caught some guy trying to stuff a pound of hamburger down his pants.  They brought him over to the office/pharmacy and asked Dad to watch them while they went somewhere and called the police.  Dad said that he was trying to decide where to shove the guy if he started running.  He decided to go for the bank since if he shoved him there the alarm would go off summoning the police anyway!

(edited)

Samantha Finglass posted today that she's been accepted to a college in Washington State studying Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership M.Ed. Think she's preparing for a role with the Cowboys??

Added something.
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Samantha Finglass posted today that she's been accepted to a college in Washington State studying Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership M.Ed. Think she's preparing for a role with the Cowboys??

Looks more like she's leaning toward a career in college sports, not Cowboys...

Good for her! I lived in Seattle for three years (between stints in Dallas) and UDub is awesome. Gorgeous football stadiums for the Huskies and the Seahawks too, of course! It’s a wholly different culture than Dallas, but she’ll do great. 

I’ll never forget shopping for groceries when I first moved back to Texas and I’m like WTF why are people looking at me?! Oh yes, eye contact and smiles with strangers. We do that here.  

• Love 3
On 7/2/2020 at 5:43 AM, kalibean said:

Good for her! I lived in Seattle for three years (between stints in Dallas) and UDub is awesome. Gorgeous football stadiums for the Huskies and the Seahawks too, of course! It’s a wholly different culture than Dallas, but she’ll do great. 

I’ll never forget shopping for groceries when I first moved back to Texas and I’m like WTF why are people looking at me?! Oh yes, eye contact and smiles with strangers. We do that here.  

I've been in Seattle for five years (originally from the Midwest) and I still smile at everyone here.  I mostly get blank looks in return, but I don't care.  Seattle is awesome - we should all be smiling here! 😃

• Love 2

Has anyone heard of the 76ers Dancers and them investigating a report of bullying and racist behavior? The video reportedly included the dance coach and other members of the team. Ever since the news broke around the 30th of last month, the 76ers entertainment page has limited/deleted comments on every post. 

feelings extra hurt. my school's conference cancelled all fall sports, so that means no last football season, and our semester is "temporarily" september-november and then we have to move back out until they figure out what to do for spring semester. 

all i wanted was my full senior year, i-

4e00503a25efd3dff7d306aa445eb3f16372d6dd

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a question about visas and citizenship. I know the girls that come here on student/work visas have to travel back to their home countries to renew every so often.  What about if someone just wants to come here to live?  One of my Mom's neighbor's elderly mother came here last year to live, supposedly permanently, from Germany.  She's in her 60s (at least) and has to have dialysis every other day.  The Mom lives in my apartment complex and the daughter and son in law live behind my Mom a few blocks away.  How will the visa stuff work for the Mom/MIL?  Would the Mom/MIL have to already have dual German/US citizenship for this to work out?

hellacious grammar
On 7/22/2020 at 9:26 PM, BluegrassDCCFan said:

I have a question about visas and citizenship. I know the girls that come here on student/work visas have to travel back to their home countries to renew every so often.  What about if someone just wants to come here to live?  One of my Mom's neighbor's elderly mother came here last year to live, supposedly permanently, from Germany.  She's in her 60s (at least) and has to have dialysis every other day.  The Mom lives in my apartment complex and the daughter and son in law live behind my Mom a few blocks away.  How will the visa stuff work for the Mom/MIL?  Would the Mom/MIL have to already have dual German/US citizenship for this to work out?

There are so many answers depending on a number of factors. Are you aware of what her citizenship status is? And does she work (I’m guessing “no” on that one since you said she is elderly). She could have applied to be a Lawful (sometimes referred to as Legal) Permanent Resident (previously called a “green card holder”). This is a status for a non-citizen who is going to reside in the US full time. The individual usually has to be sponsored somehow (family, employer) or be refugee/asylum seeker and live in the US for a certain period of time (I think it’s a year) in order to obtain LPR status. What kind of visa they come to the US on during that year depends on a number of different factors though. I know this isn’t an exact answer but without more info, it’s hard to say. 

38 minutes ago, KnyghtRyder said:

There are so many answers depending on a number of factors. Are you aware of what her citizenship status is? And does she work (I’m guessing “no” on that one since you said she is elderly). She could have applied to be a Lawful (sometimes referred to as Legal) Permanent Resident (previously called a “green card holder”). This is a status for a non-citizen who is going to reside in the US full time. The individual usually has to be sponsored somehow (family, employer) or be refugee/asylum seeker and live in the US for a certain period of time (I think it’s a year) in order to obtain LPR status. What kind of visa they come to the US on during that year depends on a number of different factors though. I know this isn’t an exact answer but without more info, it’s hard to say. 

She is drawing some sort of US disability so wouldn't she at least have to have "dual" citizenship?  That's pretty much the extent of what I know about her even thought she lives across and up the street from me.  I never see her unless she comes to my Mom's cookouts.

Has anyone done any of the online Star Style classes? I'm thinking about signing up but it costs $25 a class. However, for $40 a month you have 1 star subscription to the video library. Does anyone know what that even means? Is the 1 star = 1 class or unlimited access to all classes?

10 hours ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Are we absolutely sure there will be no show on CMT this year?

Everything I've seen including a cameo from Kelli says they're still trying to have one this year

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, CailynA said:

Everything I've seen including a cameo from Kelli says they're still trying to have one this year

I hope they make up their minds soon.  Trying to save some $$$$ with my cable bill and that means dropping CMT (other option is decreasing my internet speed and that ain't happenin')

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

hoping everyone’s having a good day today/had a good day!

i’m being positive in light of the entire fall semester being moved online and looking at the brighter side of being home with family and getting to spend my 5th year anniversary with my sugar bun finally. take it easy y’all ❤️

• Love 8