Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

Happy Hump Day everyone.  So what critters have you seen in your neighborhood during quarantine?  My 'hood has seen coyotes, Cooper's hawks, Great Horned Owls and my personal favorite, a gorgeous India peacock I have nicknamed Freddie Mercury (no, not for Kelli - just seemed to fit).

FM_crosswalk.jpg

FM_tree stroll V2.jpeg

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, go4luca said:

Happy Hump Day everyone.  So what critters have you seen in your neighborhood during quarantine?  My 'hood has seen coyotes, Cooper's hawks, Great Horned Owls and my personal favorite, a gorgeous India peacock I have nicknamed Freddie Mercury (no, not for Kelli - just seemed to fit).

FM_crosswalk.jpg

FM_tree stroll V2.jpeg

We rescued an injured young skunk (we named him Flower)..got him to a wildlife hospital and a week later he was released at the sanctuary.  We have also had 3 opossums (names: Punkin', Squash, and Tater Tot) ,2 raccoons (Meeko and Monch), a few other skunks, a hawk, a barn owl, and young fox (Todd). 

• Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Well, @go4luca, I wish I saw something as interesting as a peacock, but when I was walking my dog Sunday morning I saw a fox.  Yawn LOL

Hey - a fox is still cool!

11 minutes ago, mizzhyer said:

We rescued an injured young skunk (we named him Flower)..got him to a wildlife hospital and a week later he was released at the sanctuary.  We have also had 3 opossums (names: Punkin', Squash, and Tater Tot) ,2 raccoons (Meeko and Monch), a few other skunks, a hawk, a barn owl, and young fox (Todd). 

Good on you for rescuing the injured skunk!  I forgot to add opossums to my list above.  We've had those as well.  It's been interesting seeing all the wild things showing up since there's been so few cars and traffic.

Edited by go4luca
goon = good. can't type for shite today.
2 minutes ago, go4luca said:

Hey - a fox is still cool!

Goon on you for rescuing the injured skunk!  I forgot to add opossums to my list above.  We've had those as well.  It's been interesting seeing all the wild things showing up since there's been so few cars and traffic.

He was so sweet. He never seemed threatened by us (they really don't want to spray since it takes up to two weeks for them to refill their scent glands)  and went right into the carrier I put down for him.  They fell in love with him at the wildlife center...said he was a perfect little patient.  He got antibiotics for an infected paw, some pain meds the first couple of days and a week later he was ready to go.  He was released at the sanctuary the hospital center is located on, since it's a much safer area.  (No close roads).

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Well, @go4luca, I wish I saw something as interesting as a peacock, but when I was walking my dog Sunday morning I saw a fox.  Yawn LOL

We've had a young fox as well 🙂 I love them!!!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mizzhyer said:

We've had a young fox as well 🙂 I love them!!!

This fox was after a little bunny...I was rooting for the bunny 🙂 

3 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I mean...I know they have to eat, but...but...BUNNY!!!

No.  No eat bunny!

Aside from the coral snake, my brother in Austin also found this in his yard.  Thankfully not near the snake.

bunny_sm.jpg

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ByTor said:

This fox was after a little bunny...I was rooting for the bunny 🙂 

Lol...I understand!!! 🙂  Go bunny go!!!  Our little fox was eating cat food 🙂 We take care of a community/feral cat colony and there's always plenty of food out.  So, he had no need to chase a bunny or squirrel.

• LOL 2
37 minutes ago, go4luca said:

Aside from the coral snake, my brother in Austin also found this in his yard.  Thankfully not near the snake.

That was scary as hell!

• Love 2

Our dog caught a baby bunny a couple days ago! It got away from him a couple times and I grabbed it. It didn't look too hurt, but it wasn't moving much anymore. I took it out and let it go in the backyard. I hope it was okay. We kept the dog in for the rest of the night. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ByTor said:

That was scary as hell!

Right there with you lady.  Wasn't the first Texas Coral snake he's found in his yard.  Scary AF.  I CANNOT HANDLE SNAKES!

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Here's some animal cuteness...not to mention talent!

Your announcer made me think of the super cute videos this guy has been sharing on Twitter of his dogs Olive and Mabel.

""Mabel, with no recognition, no recall whatsoever..." 😂

Edited by go4luca
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, go4luca said:

Your announcer made me think of the super cute videos this guy has been sharing on Twitter of his dogs Olive and Mabel.

""Mabel, with no recognition, no recall whatsoever..." 😂

I love these so much. He's also quite funny on twitter, knowing that the vast majority of his followers are there for the dogs, not for his sports broadcasting which is why he has the Twitter

Also entirely unrelated, but I want to tell people and I'm worried about telling people in real life and jinxing it.

I just put down a reservation on my first house! It's a new build so won't be ready till next year, but so exciting! Just have to wait for all the legal stuff to go through!

• Love 8
On 5/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, go4luca said:

Seriously.  If I found this in my front yard, I'd be in the next state by now.

I'd be right there with ya! I HATE SNAKES!!!

• LOL 1

If it's a disposable, around the ears mask, I think it would be messy but do-able.  I have a hair appt on Thursday and that's how my stylist is managing, along with no double booking, no visitors, staying in car until you get a text to come in, sanitizing between clients and no contact within six feet with anyone other than the stylist.  My salon has a good layout for this situation.  And I'm still leaning towards cancelling.  Too soon, especially with the stories coming out about the stylists in my parent's city with symptoms exposing 150+ people, etc.  My roots aren't all that bad and my hair is long enough for a ponytail.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, kalibean said:

If it's a disposable, around the ears mask, I think it would be messy but do-able.  I have a hair appt on Thursday and that's how my stylist is managing, along with no double booking, no visitors, staying in car until you get a text to come in, sanitizing between clients and no contact within six feet with anyone other than the stylist.  My salon has a good layout for this situation.  And I'm still leaning towards cancelling.  Too soon, especially with the stories coming out about the stylists in my parent's city with symptoms exposing 150+ people, etc.  My roots aren't all that bad and my hair is long enough for a ponytail.

My appointment went well! Stylist only had me and my Mom in the salon at the same time.  She wore a mask the entire time.  She sanitized everything btwn us and her last clients (also a Mother and Daughter I think).  Changed gloves btwn working on each one of us (we both got color/highlight and cuts).  I FEEL HUMAN AGAIN!!!!! 😄

Edited by BluegrassDCCFan
changed some wording
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

My appointment went well! Stylist only had me and my Mom in the salon at the same time.  She wore a mask the entire time.  She sanitized everything btwn us and her last clients (also a Mother and Daughter I think).  Changed gloves btwn working on each one of us (we both got color/highlight and cuts).  I FEEL HUMAN AGAIN!!!!! 😄

Lucky you! I am very jealous! They were banning hairdressers completely here (Australia) then they decided only 30 minute treatments and now I think you can go but there are limits on time, people etc. I don't want to risk it so the first time in about 12654 years I have something close to resembling my natural hair colour 🤣🤣

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, onthebubble said:

Lucky you! I am very jealous! They were banning hairdressers completely here (Australia) then they decided only 30 minute treatments and now I think you can go but there are limits on time, people etc. I don't want to risk it so the first time in about 12654 years I have something close to resembling my natural hair colour 🤣🤣

This is the longest I've EVER gone without a trip to the salon.  Even when I broke my arm a couple yrs ago I still was able to get my hair done.  Ky/USA shut down all "nonessential" businesses in mid March the DAY BEFORE I had an appointment for my hair so I lucked into getting in on her first day back!

13 hours ago, kalibean said:

My roots aren't all that bad and my hair is long enough for a ponytail.

Mine were ok, but I just couldn't stand it anymore, so I did the BIG gamble & bought a couple boxes of Natural Instincts.  I've been going darker since bleach was killing the heck out of my hair & did dark ash blonde.  Well, it covered the gray well enough and matches my natural color really well.  Good enough, in fact, that I think I'm sticking with it.

• Love 6

My hair is naturally a dark reddish blonde, and I color it to auburn.  And so far I only see three stray gray hairs, so I'm lucky on that front.  I ended up having to cancel because of work before I even had a chance to decide for myself, so I'm going to see if the L'Oreal Magic Root works as well for me as it does Eva Longoria!  

I'm still WFH and thank the heavens our online meetings let us default to our company portrait instead of camera on, but would be nice to have the spray just in case.  What if my dream job has a magical opening and I have a Skype interview?!?  Been pondering relocating back to Dallas after three years in KC.  So much I love here but definitely more career opportunities in DFW.  (I'm corporate retail...and while it's all suffering, my background is Ecomm and Strategy so should be okay even for our friends in Chapter 11.)

• Love 2

I ended up taking the stay at home orders to learn how to do all sorts of styles on my hair lol from faux locs to box braids, I think I kinda mastered everything I wanted to. Still hopeful my senior year will still happen but *shrug* if it doesn't, I'm mentally prepared for it.

• Love 6

I don't color my hair but gosh I need a haircut.  In my state deaths and cases continue to climb.  So I am still pretty much staying on the farm.

I did have to learn to groom (clip) my poodle.  It's a good thing poodle hair grows fast.  I am getting better.  And have saved a ton of money!

• Love 2

LOL my dog's "bangs" really grew, and her once round head is now flat on top.  She looks like one of the Beatles!!  I tried to cut a little so she could see, but I'm very much looking forward to her actually getting groomed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Are the forums currently acting weird?  Seem to be having a lot of timeouts

8 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I did have to learn to groom (clip) my poodle.  It's a good thing poodle hair grows fast.  I am getting better.  And have saved a ton of money!

Lucky you.  My Mom and I tried to groom my poodle many years ago and gave the poor dog a "reverse mohawk" (no I don't have a picture).  Poor pup was quite embarrassed!!!!!!🐶

• Love 1
(edited)

Y’all - watching Pluto while puttering around my sewing room this morning, and the WORST EVER commercial transition happened. 

1: A tearful mom sobbing about her son on a motorcycle getting hit by a truck and strangers holding him while he passes away 

2: Exuberant voice chimes in: At Dominos, we think it’s time to look on the bright side! Cue someone joyfully proclaiming that they found toilet paper. 

I was taken aback. That poor lady. And poor Dominos too. Goodness. 

Edited by kalibean
2 hours ago, kalibean said:

Y’all - watching Pluto while puttering around my sewing room this morning, and the WORST EVER commercial transition happened. 

1: A tearful mom sobbing about her son on a motorcycle getting hit by a truck and strangers holding him while he passes away 

2: Exuberant voice chimes in: At Dominos, we think it’s time to look on the bright side! Cue someone joyfully proclaiming that they found toilet paper. 

I was taken aback. That poor lady. And poor Dominos too. Goodness. 

I have to ask, what was that first commercial for?

Male high school cheerleader in my town just got a full ride scholarship for cheerleading to Paris Junior College in Texas!!!!!!  First cheerleader in the history of the high school to get a scholarship like that😀🥳👨‍🎓.  Now that is cool:)

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Not sure where to stick this so posting here:  So there will absolutely not be a show this year?  Wanting to drop CMT off my cable package if there's not going to be a show.

We won’t know until their is an official announcement 

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

We won’t know until their is an official announcement 

I thought maybe there already had been.  I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this forum/CMT/DCC the last week or so.  I need to figure out a way to cut my cable/internet bill in half.  It's the most expensive bill I have (excluding my rent).  Been wanting to drop CMT for a  while now but haven't due to the show.  Also not sure if I can even watch on Pluto if I don't subscribe to CMT (do you know??)

1 minute ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

I thought maybe there already had been.  I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this forum/CMT/DCC the last week or so.  I need to figure out a way to cut my cable/internet bill in half.  It's the most expensive bill I have (excluding my rent).  Been wanting to drop CMT for a  while now but haven't due to the show.  Also not sure if I can even watch on Pluto if I don't subscribe to CMT (do you know??)

Pluto is it's own separate app.  But at this point, you can still only watch up until season 12.

9 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

You may want to price out buying the season (whenever it airs) on Amazon or iTunes. I've been buying it on Amazon for a few seasons now and it's like $25 for the season. I lost access to CMT on Comcast when they moved it to a higher tier and I wasn't willing to pay. Amazon's pretty good about having the show ready to watch by midnight PDT after it airs on CMT, which is pretty nice.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Not sure what kind of phone you have but you can buy the whole season on iTunes if you have an iPhone 

15 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Not sure what kind of phone you have but you can buy the whole season on iTunes if you have an iPhone 

No iPhone and won't own one.  See PM 🙂

15 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

You may want to price out buying the season (whenever it airs) on Amazon or iTunes. I've been buying it on Amazon for a few seasons now and it's like $25 for the season. I lost access to CMT on Comcast when they moved it to a higher tier and I wasn't willing to pay. Amazon's pretty good about having the show ready to watch by midnight PDT after it airs on CMT, which is pretty nice.

Not especially a fan of downloading stuff to this computer.  Had too many problems with PCs not liking downloads for whatever reason.  I do have iTunes and Amazon Prime but very rarely download anything but music.

11 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Not especially a fan of downloading stuff to this computer.  Had too many problems with PCs not liking downloads for whatever reason.  I do have iTunes and Amazon Prime but very rarely download anything but music.

With Amazon, you're not downloading anything to your computer; you're basically buying the rights to stream it when you wish. With iTunes, you do download a file, but not with Amazon. In fact, I wanted to download another TV show episode I bought and I couldn't. 

• Useful 1
On 6/7/2020 at 12:45 AM, BluegrassDCCFan said:

The only thing I've seen is the blurb on Wikipedia...I take what I see there with a grain of salt since anyone can edit it. 

11 minutes ago, loveaux said:

Has anyone else taken on the responsibility of pet groomer? I'm genuinely convinced my dog hates me now 🤣

I haven't resorted to that .....yet.....

Last time we tried to groom my dog (a poodle I had years ago) we accidentally gave him a "reverse mohawk".  Mine and my Mom's pups have appointments with our regular groomer late next week FINALLY!!!!

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, loveaux said:

Has anyone else taken on the responsibility of pet groomer? I'm genuinely convinced my dog hates me now 🤣

Yes I have...my pupper is old...she's 16 and she hates the groomer.  So I bought a set of grooming shears and I did fair I guess.  She doesn't hate me ...yet 😉

• LOL 1