Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

@UnicornKicksBack re: I’ve dated the self righteous before and it’s damaging when they literally think they’re Gods gift and you’re attached before you realize it.

GIRL.  You don't even know (and I say that as a figure of speech bc you DO know).  I recently got out of a relationship with a guy who turned out to be incredibly sanctimonious and self-righteous.  One time when I was making dinner for us, he was venting and I said "I'm sorry you had such a shitty day" and he put his hand up and said "no, no, not a shitty day, a bad day" and went on to say that he tries not to swear and we should use language that is pleasing to God 😳  The F what?  I'm in my mid 40s and cooking you dinner under my roof with groceries I paid for and you're going to correct my choice of language?  Oh hell no.  Pun intended.

He was also cheap AF and only ever wanted to get takeout instead of sitting down in a restaurant (where presumably one would leave a gratuity after the meal).  I broke up with him after he pitched an enormous fit and acted like a condescending jerk through an entire meal when I suggested we get dinner from the counter and sit down at the tables for counter service instead of eating sweaty/soggy food out of containers at home.  It was a beautiful summer night and we had plans to go OUT and I just wanted to be around other people enjoying the weather and didn't want to do dishes that night.  

He also thought it was virtuous to wear his clothing until it was threadbare, stained and falling apart and I'd have to ask him not to wear his old fleece sweatpants in public.  I could not understand why he didn't have any pride in his appearance in that regard, and when I diplomatically asked him about these different habits, his response was something like it's not important to God so it's not important to me.  Look, I don't care what anyone wears as long as its neat and clean.  Looking like a disheveled mess is just lazy and a deal breaker, and I make no apologies.

Thank you for the massive vent, I feel better getting that off my chest, and I'd love to hear what your experiences were!  

RD

• Love 4

If YOU could pick a My Cause My Boots platform, what would you each choose and why?

Mine would be Juvenile Arthritis. 300,000 children suffer from this, and my 4 year old is one of them. 

Juvenile arthritis is the term used to describe arthritis, or inflammation of the joints, in children. The most common symptoms of juvenile arthritis are joint swelling, pain, and stiffness that don't go away. Juvenile arthritis is usually an autoimmune disorder.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, OhFFS said:

If YOU could pick a My Cause My Boots platform, what would you each choose and why?

Mine would be Juvenile Arthritis. 300,000 children suffer from this, and my 4 year old is one of them. 

Juvenile arthritis is the term used to describe arthritis, or inflammation of the joints, in children. The most common symptoms of juvenile arthritis are joint swelling, pain, and stiffness that don't go away. Juvenile arthritis is usually an autoimmune disorder.

Any of the autoimmune disorders: Lupus, IBD, Sjorgen's, RA, Guillain-Barre syndrome, etc.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, OhFFS said:

Mine would be for eating disorder awareness or for first responders like Lisa’s cause. I lost my father and uncle who were firefighters on 9/11, so that cause is very important to me. I love that she did that this year and that Kashara did it last year. 

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, OhFFS said:

Mine would be either animal cruelty, like Bridget picked, or anxiety disorder. It sucks being perpetually nervous, and having constant insomnia from laying awake worrying about things that may, or may not happen, and are out of your control anyway.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, OhFFS said:

I would pick animal abandonment... I volunteer for a cat rescue & the crushing emails we receive from the response line people moving can’t take their cat just leaving it, opening the front door & letting it go, cats just living on the streets in the frigid winters it kills me. My cat survived his first 1.5 years living alone on the streets & the thought of him all alone just crushes me! Animals matter & they’re not freaking disposable... 

• Love 19
8 hours ago, OhFFS said:

Mine would be either lung cancer for my grandfather or Alzheimer’s from my grandmother 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Muckypup61 said:

Any of the autoimmune disorders: Lupus, IBD, Sjorgen's, RA, Guillain-Barre syndrome, etc.

My Mom died of Lupus, so I'll go along with Muckypup. (Full disclosure: OK, maybe I'm pulling a VK, since I also am a Lupus and Celiac patient, so a little self-serving). 🙁

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Erinbridget said:

Mine would be for eating disorder awareness or for first responders like Lisa’s cause. I lost my father and uncle who were firefighters on 9/11, so that cause is very important to me. I love that she did that this year and that Kashara did it last year. 

So sorry for your loss. How proud you must be of the men that they were.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, OhFFS said:

I was hesitant about posting but mine would be the National Stuttering Association. I began stuttering at 10 years old and it’s stuck with me until adulthood. A very small population of the world, I believe 1% of people stutter. I haven’t met anyone who does outside of the organization and it’s good to know I’m not alone in this. It’s not the easiest thing to deal with especially being a talkative person and it look years for me to accept that I would stutter for the rest of my life but I’m at a better place now and I’d like to bring more awareness to this organization and people who stutter. 

• Love 16

My cause would be Neuropathy Awareness. I have Peripheral Neuropathy and suffer from extreme pain along with numbness (weird combo I know) in my feet which makes doing many physical things very difficult and/or painful. It is represented by the color of purple.

Other causes I would be proud to represent would be Animal Rescue, Alzheimer's, and Anxiety Disorder/Depression.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Agent Gully said:

My cause would be Neuropathy Awareness. I have Peripheral Neuropathy and suffer from extreme pain along with numbness (weird combo I know) in my feet which makes doing many physical things very difficult and/or painful. It is represented by the color of purple.

Neuropathy pain is so hard to explain to anyone.  I have it in a tooth.  There really isn't any way to tell someone what it is like.  My med does control it most of the time.  Anti seizure meds are what is used since pain killers are not what treats it.  Luckily mine goes into remission for months at a time.

My two main causes would be eating disorder awareness and LGBT rights. I have suffered from an ED myself and have many LGBT friends but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to represent either! 

I'd probably want to raise awareness for cervical cancer/screenings. It's something all women should go for yet the number of people going for smear tests is decreasing.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, OhFFS said:

Thank you so much for starting this conversation. I’ve been touched by so many other posters’ replies (to the point that I couldn’t pick just one cause for myself as with each reply I’d think, ‘yes- I agree with at one!’ until I’d mentally signed on to way too many 😅). Great food for thought to take a moment and reflect on during this holiday season. Thanks again!

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Monique said:

I was hesitant about posting but mine would be the National Stuttering Association. I began stuttering at 10 years old and it’s stuck with me until adulthood. A very small population of the world, I believe 1% of people stutter. I haven’t met anyone who does outside of the organization and it’s good to know I’m not alone in this. It’s not the easiest thing to deal with especially being a talkative person and it look years for me to accept that I would stutter for the rest of my life but I’m at a better place now and I’d like to bring more awareness to this organization and people who stutter. 

Yessss! Don’t be ashamed. You rock! I’m graduating with my MS in Speech Therapy! You are not alone!

• Love 1
On 12/14/2019 at 5:06 PM, OhFFS said:

Multiple Sclerosis...because I was diagnosed almost 17 years ago with it or Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.  I have 12 rescue cats and 1 rescue dog....so both of these are near and dear to me. 

Edited by mizzhyer
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

OK so here's the football team's pro-bowl picks,  Why can't we get the cheerleaders this early?

I think it comes down to what else is happening during that game.  The last game included the holiday halftime and my cause, my boots.  The game before that was the halftime with Miss Lampshade Head.  Need a game without other distractions.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Love Christmas but so glad to get back to "normal" life again.

I've already taken my decorations down and put them away and taken my Christmas music CDs out of the car.  Now if I can just get Alexa to stop randomly playing Christmas music every other song....Love Christmas but bring on the New Year! 3 Months to the day and I get to see my girl REBA MCENTIRE in concert in Evansville IN!  Anyone else here a Reba fan? Seeing her arena tour this spring? Seen her with B&D in Vegas?

Edited by BluegrassDCCFan
Added something.
19 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

I've already taken my decorations down and put them away and taken my Christmas music CDs out of the car.  Now if I can just get Alexa to stop randomly playing Christmas music every other song....Love Christmas but bring on the New Year! 3 Months to the day and I get to see my girl REBA MCENTIRE in concert in Evansville IN!  Anyone else here a Reba fan? Seeing her arena tour this spring? Seen her with B&D in Vegas?

I am taking my tree down tomorrow, but I will listen to Christmas music until 12/31 🙂 I'm not a huge Reba fan music wise, but she has done some stuff I like...now as an actress...She is funny!  I loved her series, Reba 🙂  I get to see KISS in February and I'm excited about that !!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have a male friend who loves Reba more than life!  He has had his photo made with her backstage and he goes to every concert he can get too.  I like her also.  My favorite song is

"Is there Life Out There."  I can remember when I wondered that same thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I have a male friend who loves Reba more than life!  He has had his photo made with her backstage and he goes to every concert he can get too.  I like her also.  My favorite song is

"Is there Life Out There."  I can remember when I wondered that same thing.

Does your friend know about her 2020 arena tour?  My "current" favorite song by her is off her current CD "Stronger Than The Truth".  Song's called "Storm In A Shot Glass".

On 12/23/2019 at 9:02 PM, BluegrassDCCFan said:

I just looked online and there's 10 high schools in Frisco Tx. I think I remember hearing/seeing that there are high school football games at The Star. Does anyone know which high schools use it?

All Frisco ISD high schools use the Star as one of their home fields for football. Each team is usually scheduled to play 4 or more of their games there every season. Some games are played on Thursday nights to accommodate so many high schools.  Their district also has Toyota Stadium and Memorial Stadium to use as home fields. 

The stadiums built on every high school property are just used for middle school and JV football games. 

• Useful 2

Happy New Year to everyone!  I couldn't stay awake last night and didn't even open my champagne but will in just a bit.

Hope all of you got a taste of black eyed peas and a green.  With cornbread of course.  I don't know what people up north eat.

Also, am I the only one getting these lipstick ads on the threads for women in their 40s, 50s, 60s +?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I couldn't stay awake last night and didn't even open my champagne but will in just a bit.

I had mine, but before midnight, I can't stay awake worth a crap.  I can't today, doing Dry January!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Happy New Year to everyone!  I couldn't stay awake last night and didn't even open my champagne but will in just a bit.

Hope all of you got a taste of black eyed peas and a green.  With cornbread of course.  I don't know what people up north eat.

Also, am I the only one getting these lipstick ads on the threads for women in their 40s, 50s, 60s +?

Happy 2020! Had my champagne and an oliebol or two, that's how we celebrate. Few friends over, great night.

We were treated to a delightfully warm and sunny day in KC, so I went for a hike with the boyfriend and his kiddos, took down all of my outdoor Christmas goodies, swept the garage and did a ton of Whole 30 meal prep. May this weather and motivation carry me through for at least a couple weeks 😂😂

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I had my black-eyed peas, cornbread and fried okra for dinner.  Have it every year just like we did in the South, though I live in the North now.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

New show on Netflix next week--Cheer--small Texas town school and cheering is the focus of the show.

Maybe I'm alone among Netflix subscribers, but I'm getting sick of them and their original shows.  I guess I'm still bitter that Everybody Loves Raymond went away.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Maybe I'm alone among Netflix subscribers, but I'm getting sick of them and their original shows.

Honestly, if things don't change in the near future, I'm considering dropping Netflix.  Not enough to hold my interest with their latest rate increase.

• Love 2