Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

Aww, I love the Sea Gals uniforms, especially the tops. I could be biased as a Hawks fan tho :) I used to worked with a couple of former Sea Gals and they both had extensive dance training, one in ballet.

When you work in retail buying offices, you meet a lot of former cheerleaders I suppose! Tons of college dance teams in particular, but I've got four NFL teams covered too. Lol.

Aww, I love the Sea Gals uniforms, especially the tops. I could be biased as a Hawks fan tho :) I used to worked with a couple of former Sea Gals and they both had extensive dance training, one in ballet.

When you work in retail buying offices, you meet a lot of former cheerleaders I suppose! Tons of college dance teams in particular, but I've got four NFL teams covered too. Lol.

I love the blue and green color combo of the Seahawks and they have so many uniforms to choose from. Really attractive women on the team, also.

http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/04/08/introducing-2016-charger-girls

So having seen the comments about Rose being a Charger Girl on the Rejected Thread as well as the comments here about uniforms, and being from the UK and not familiar with other teams uniforms, I was googling away and saw this article with photos from the Charger Girls auditions.. quite a few of the girls pictured are quite 'soft' in the middle and a tiny bit wobbly looking.

I hate that they are auditioning in basically bra and panties.

They seem to be dancing in little skirts when on the field, but do other teams really dance in just bra/panties uniforms? I feel a bit embarrassed for them :(

If you go here, you can see what all the teams' uniforms look like. None of it is a bare as what they wear to auditions. Judging from the Chargers photos, they tell everyone to go straight to VIctoria's Secret for the most powerful push-up bra known to man.

There was a documentary made about the Chargers girls about 10 years ago. Making the Squad NFL Cheerleaders. At that time, there was a seamstress girl who made swimsuits for the calendar, and she might have had a hand in their uniforms too. Anyway, it was interesting. The director was a former cheerleader and was very young at that time. Lisa Simmons.

If you go here, you can see what all the teams' uniforms look like. None of it is a bare as what they wear to auditions. Judging from the Chargers photos, they tell everyone to go straight to VIctoria's Secret for the most powerful push-up bra known to man.

IMO The Eagles cheerleaders uniforms are plain and boring looking.

IMO The Eagles cheerleaders uniforms are plain and boring looking.

And wow - literally the coverage of a strapless push up bra and low cut boy short panties! Just too small IMO.

The patriots uniform is really tiny too. Both those cities are very cold, so I don't get why the skimpy uniforms - I'm sure none of the uniforms keep anyone warm in any way, but long sleeves would at least give the appearance of matching the climate.

Edited by MyFavShows

I watched some of the Eagles auditions etc and was surprised to see that 29 of the 60 girls were pursuing or had attained a Masters.  That seems higher than what we see with DCC.

Wow - that is impressive!  Wonder what MA are in?

BTW, DCC girls seem to be getting smarter / more ambitious recent years?

Hi everyone :) I just joined after lurking here for a good few months. I'm an avid watcher of shows that have to do with dancing/cheerleading (Dance Moms, Bring It, MTT) even though I've only had 2 years of dance and no cheerleading haha. I look forward to posting!

• Love 1

Good classes a will focus on technique - proper placement, form, movement, memory etc. and then choreograph on that.

You seem to know what you're talking about, so I have to ask...is memory something that can be learned? I always assumed it was one of those things where you either have it or don't.

Yes it can be learned, although it's like high kicks. Some are naturally better at it than others and those who are naturally limited in that area can improve tremendously but never be quite as good as those who just have a knack for it. 

Frequent practices help with muscle memory, as does taking a lot of different dance classes. Even taking classes in totally different styles will help dancers learn how to pick up choreography quicker.

• Love 1

You seem to know what you're talking about, so I have to ask...is memory something that can be learned? I always assumed it was one of those things where you either have it or don't.

Memory can be improved, but if you've already had years of training it's going to be easier to automatically know what placement is better for choreography.

Example - kickline - if you have no idea what a passé is and don't know how to position your legs and feet, it's going to take you longer to have to use your brain to think 'ok, one leg bent, thigh parallel to floor, foot straight and not sickled in or way out, foot right at/above kneecap, back straight, supporting let turned out, hip tucked' etc. vs already knowing how to do it.

If your having to perfect basics, it is harder to actually learn choreography. If you've ever seen Bring It on lifetime - the hip hop majorettes in Mississippi - they're super entertaining and great for their style, but their technique is atrocious. I'm always scared someone is going to get hurt.

They'll drop into splits and do leg holds for literally minutes, but they looks so uncontrolled and off balance it ruins it for me. Their choreography is creative and intricate, but they look like they have no control over movement, etc.

So you can have memory but no technique and vice versa, but to dance at DCC level you really can't master one without the other. Even watching this squad from the 2005 special, there's a world of difference in skill.

Does anyone know how to get ink stain out of a nice blouse? I took ink out of my work printer yesterday and magenta got on my top, I'm not sure if it's Chiffon or not. It's a light material from Banana Republic.

Does anyone know how to get ink stain out of a nice blouse? I took ink out of my work printer yesterday and magenta got on my top, I'm not sure if it's Chiffon or not. It's a light material from Banana Republic.

Try Googling it.  I'm sure there's something out there

EDITED: I Googled "printer ink stain removal"  and lot of links popped up.

Edited by MrsEVH

Confession: I do a version of the field entrance on the treadmill at home. It's hard not to bust it out at the gym, but in my head I'm doing it. There, I said it. (you are free to judge)

It's really hard not to bust out with the dance moves to thunderstruck while it's on your gym playlist lol

Confession: I do a version of the field entrance on the treadmill at home. It's hard not to bust it out at the gym, but in my head I'm doing it. There, I said it. (you are free to judge)

Oh I so need to start doing that. At home.

I find this really interesting. So does knowing technique generally mean you'll tend to remember the "5-6-7-8" that comes after "1-2-3-4" in a routine?

Technique is more like how to have everything in proper position, how to control and finish moves, etc. The counting is to make sure your moves have the correct timing. Memory is know which move/choreography to do when.

If you've ever seen Bring It on lifetime - the hip hop majorettes in Mississippi - they're super entertaining and great for their style, but their technique is atrocious. I'm always scared someone is going to get hurt.

YES. Those girls scare me. They throw every bit of energy they have into every single move, bless them, but it's all so messy. Their director has hardly any formal training and I wonder if anyone has ever been injured. It's basically someone who is a great dancer in her living room training up a bunch of other living room dancers. The girls with any training on that show all got it somewhere else. I haven't seen that show in a long while, but I remember it making me sad in the first season when girls would say they want to go on to dance in college or professionally or be a choreographer. They have (or had at that time) no understanding that that majorette-style dance doesn't remotely prepare you for doing well at any other kind of dance, let alone a career in dance.

YES. Those girls scare me. They throw every bit of energy they have into every single move, bless them, but it's all so messy. Their director has hardly any formal training and I wonder if anyone has ever been injured. It's basically someone who is a great dancer in her living room training up a bunch of other living room dancers. The girls with any training on that show all got it somewhere else. I haven't seen that show in a long while, but I remember it making me sad in the first season when girls would say they want to go on to dance in college or professionally or be a choreographer. They have (or had at that time) no understanding that that majorette-style dance doesn't remotely prepare you for doing well at any other kind of dance, let alone a career in dance.

There's a team from Miami they compete against on the show and those girls have awesome technique plus the majorette showmanship/tricks. I presume they go the more traditional ballet/tap/jazz route and then add on some of the majorette stuff as extras.

I always wondered if there are any TCCs or actual DCC who went the majorette route in college and then tried out for DCC. Some of the southern schools that have that style majorettes have some really trained dancers and not just girls flinging around doing tricks.

Technique is more like how to have everything in proper position, how to control and finish moves, etc. The counting is to make sure your moves have the correct timing. Memory is know which move/choreography to do when.

That's what I thought....so to my untrained self it seems that someone with zero technique can learn and remember a dance just fine (although they may not do it well)

I always wondered if there are any TCCs or actual DCC who went the majorette route in college and then tried out for DCC.

I'm guessing not. That style of dance is associated with historically black colleges and universities. I can't think of any of the AA girls in recent years who are alumni of HBCUs. I would love to see Kelli's face if someone starting J-setting at the DCC audition. She and Judy wouldn't know what to think of it. Heck, they probably don't even know that's a thing.

I'm guessing not. That style of dance is associated with historically black colleges and universities. I can't think of any of the AA girls in recent years who are alumni of HBCUs. I would love to see Kelli's face if someone starting J-setting at the DCC audition. She and Judy wouldn't know what to think of it. Heck, they probably don't even know that's a thing.

Buahaha. There was definitely one girl who tried out (forget what season it was) that was CLEARLY a majorette or a dancer on an HBCU band's dance team.

I have no idea where to to post this, but I just came across this photo. I believe this is part of pregame isn't it?

I never realized just how unattractive this is from the back.I really think they should not do this move anymore, LOL.

2256372041_ae36435cb5.jpg?w=712&h=400&qu

I have no idea where to to post this, but I just came across this photo. I believe this is part of pregame isn't it?

I never realized just how unattractive this is from the back.I really think they should not do this move anymore, LOL.

2256372041_ae36435cb5.jpg?w=712&h=400&qu

Ohh that is awkward! It looks lopsided and unflattering. Good thing they aren't typically photographed from that angle.

I thought this might be interesting for our group. The U of Washington squads are catching some flack for a graphic they posted of how to dress for tryouts. I think it's one thing for a pro team to have standards for looks, but quite another for a college team to advise you to wear fake lashes and tan. 

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/look-like-this-not-that-uw-pulls-cheerleader-tryout-advice-after-angry-backlash/

2 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I'm not fond of this new layout =[

Oh that is very weird looking from the back, ick.

1 hour ago, tobeyoungagain said:

yeah I agree ... first it was shut down yesterday while they implemented the new layout and now that we have it, I strongly dislike it.  Not even sure how to use it!

Sigh

1 hour ago, LaurenBrook said:

I actually kind of like it...I think it's going to be a lot easier once we get the hang of it! 

Not a fan....I've been away from here for several days due to family issues (not resolved) and coming back to this was confusing.

So this year, they're out of valley ranch. Is The Star™ going to be available for them to start training camp this year?

On 4/27/2016 at 11:57 AM, tobeyoungagain said:

I think I can write this here and it's not off-topic.

Anyone here doing whole30 or one of those restrictive, clean you system diets?  or "lifestyle change" as they like to call it?

I'm doing Beachbody workouts (Piyo and 21 Day Fix) along with Shakeology. I've lost 15 pounds pretty easily.

• Love 1

Kelli is holding a private garage sale for current and former DCC's of twenty plus years of costumes, poms, practice wear, life size posters, and used boots.

They have to give their boots back at the end of the season? That seems a little ridiculous. I can understand returning clothing items that will be worn again, but who is going to wear used footwear? As far as I can tell, everyone on the team gets new ones every year. I'm pretty sure they get new poms every year too. Poms can look pretty rough after an entire season of use.