Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

On 6/8/2022 at 9:21 PM, go4luca said:

Sorry but I'm not wild about this one.  I have seen Kat take beautiful photos but her face looks odd in this shot.

Yeah, too "posed."

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Crazy cause they don’t even play in Dallas 

Have they ever?  If so, it was before the Irving ie. previous stadium was built.  Not well-versed on Cowboys history, hence my question.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, WenD08 said:

Have they ever?  If so, it was before the Irving ie. previous stadium was built.  Not well-versed on Cowboys history, hence my question.

2 minutes ago, WenD08 said:

Old cowboys stadium was in Irving 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Crazy cause they don’t even play in Dallas 

Yea, but it's all one area -- and they are the Dallas Cowboys. Probably doesn't think there will be enough support for 2 teams in such a small area (and is probably right).

I don't blame him for this one -- there's no need for another team so close.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Old cowboys stadium was in Irving 

They originally played at the Cotton Bowl, though, which is in Dallas proper, and then moved to Irving in the 70's.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the Dallas area (I think Holly is, but I don't think she's 1000 years old like I am,) the Cotton Bowl is just a few minutes from downtown and current home to the Texas State Fair.  There is ALWAYS a lot of drama and conversation about how/when/what should be done with that area. 

Gorgeous historic buildings with a lot of Art Deco flair, but Dallas generally prefers to tear old buildings down and put up shiny and new.  It's a bummer.  The Cotton Bowl definitely isn't the best stadium you'll ever watch a game in, but it's a lot of fun with a lot of great history.  

To add a little bit more color, Dallas did have two pro teams for a hot minute.  Lamar Hunt wanted to bring the NFL to Dallas, but wasn't granted an expansion.  So he developed the AFL as a competitor, and created The Dallas Texans.  Their home stadium was The Cotton Bowl.  And then the NFL didn't want to lose professional football in the southern states to the AFL, so they brought in the expansion team to Dallas in 1960.  LOL.  Alllll the dramas, including a mess with the Redskins that I honestly can't remember.

Anyway, the NFL had a higher profile in general, so the Cowboys got a lot of attention despite being terrible (for a lot of reasons, including not being able to participate in the draft for their first year.). So Lamar Hunt decided the city couldn't sustain both teams, and thus moved his Texans to Kansas City in 1963 to become the KC Chiefs.

The AFL and NFL merged in 1970, so there ya go.  And I only know this because I've lived in Dallas for ages and also bc my dad raised me to be a KC Chiefs fan since he grew up in Missouri.  

image.png

Edited by kalibean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, kalibean said:

They originally played at the Cotton Bowl, though, which is in Dallas proper, and then moved to Irving in the 70's.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the Dallas area (I think Holly is, but I don't think she's 1000 years old like I am,) the Cotton Bowl is just a few minutes from downtown and current home to the Texas State Fair.  There is ALWAYS a lot of drama and conversation about how/when/what should be done with that area. 

Gorgeous historic buildings with a lot of Art Deco flair, but Dallas generally prefers to tear old buildings down and put up shiny and new.  It's a bummer.  The Cotton Bowl definitely isn't the best stadium you'll ever watch a game in, but it's a lot of fun with a lot of great history.  

To add a little bit more color, Dallas did have two pro teams for a hot minute.  Lamar Hunt wanted to bring the NFL to Dallas, but wasn't granted an expansion.  So he developed the AFL as a competitor, and created The Dallas Texans.  Their home stadium was The Cotton Bowl.  And then the NFL didn't want to lose professional football in the southern states to the AFL, so they brought in the expansion team to Dallas in 1960.  LOL.  Alllll the dramas, including a mess with the Redskins that I honestly can't remember.

Anyway, the NFL had a higher profile in general, so the Cowboys got a lot of attention despite being terrible (for a lot of reasons, including not being able to participate in the draft for their first year.). So Lamar Hunt decided the city couldn't sustain both teams, and thus moved his Texans to Kansas City in 1963 to become the KC Chiefs.

The AFL and NFL merged in 1970, so there ya go.  And I only know this because I've lived in Dallas for ages and also bc my dad raised me to be a KC Chiefs fan since he grew up in Missouri.  

image.png

Nope not 10000 years old and I forgot abt them playing at the cotton bowl 

• LOL 1

I had to double check the dates on some of that stuff...I knew the Cotton Bowl part and that KC had started in Dallas, but I forgot the details of the expansion and some of the pettiness involved.

Allllll the sports drama!  Meanwhile, I'm just hoping we get the show back.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, kalibean said:

image.png

Thank you, Kalibean, for the history lesson.  I’ve been to the TX State Fair (I lived in north Dallas decades ago) but didn’t know the Cowboys played there.  Also, I forgot the Chiefs were the Texans.  One day I would like to go to Canton, OH and see the HOF. As a history nerd and OH native, I need to check it out.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I'm so old I remember the Baltimore Colts, and the sudden move to Indianapolis.    I grew up near D.C., so for seemingly endless months of the year we had evening discussion shows with players, and others talking football.      The only reason my dad caved and bought a color TV, and an antenna to get games that were blacked out in our area, and were running on the Baltimore stations, was because the Redskins made the playoffs in the early 70's.   

• Love 5

MonaMechelle, talk to me…💖💚And if anyone is a member of a sorority or fraternity, do share.  I don’t want anyone to feel left out.

I’ll start, I’m a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., the First and the Finest!  I do realize there are those here with no clue.  Ask away, if you choose.

Love questions, loathe ignorance….

23 hours ago, WenD08 said:

MonaMechelle, talk to me…💖💚And if anyone is a member of a sorority or fraternity, do share.  I don’t want anyone to feel left out.

I’ll start, I’m a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., the First and the Finest!  I do realize there are those here with no clue.  Ask away, if you choose.

Love questions, loathe ignorance….

Hello Soror, I knew it! I too am a proud member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. - 15 years later this year! I’m in Atlanta and was minding my business looking for DCC business (lol) when I saw your user name, $.08, favorite color and said —

B5051289-9734-4D88-9C69-32E6179EE4B3.gif.48884e2061784781bbf522a9f41aacf8.gif

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, MonaMechelle said:

Hello Soror, I knew it! I too am a proud member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. - 15 years later this year! I’m in Atlanta and was minding my business looking for DCC business (lol) when I saw your user name, $.08, favorite color and said —

B5051289-9734-4D88-9C69-32E6179EE4B3.gif.48884e2061784781bbf522a9f41aacf8.gif

And you’re in my favorite city, AKAs run it of course😉I’m a Spelman alum💙🤍

Thank you for reaching out!  Sending a virtual hug💖🌷💚

• Love 2

Are there any stereotypes that you think applies to some girls on the team? (I don't even know if there are any stereotypes but I'm guessing there is from the tiktok trend)

4 hours ago, Kamal said:

I'm not from the states so to the people who went to college, how was your schools sorority? 

https://imgur.com/a/TCgDEUO

I sheet a person shared on reddit of where some girls were in.

I’m not sure of your question.  What Sorority am I member of?  
I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (www.aka1908.org).  Our membership includes Vice President Kamala Harris among many, many others.

If your question is what was it like to be in a Sorority while in college, I can’t speak to that as I became a member after I graduated.

I went to college in the 70's, and sororities weren't that popular.   They were viewed as snobby.   Also, almost everyone I knew that tried to join one found out they had no time for studying, that the mandatory clothing, dues, jewelry, and everything else were very expensive.     I don't recall anyone rushing a sorority that didn't flunk out, or dropped the sorority to get their grades back up. 

• Love 1
On 8/23/2022 at 1:19 PM, Kamal said:

I'm not from the states so to the people who went to college, how was your schools sorority? 

https://imgur.com/a/TCgDEUO

I sheet a person shared on reddit of where some girls were in.

I’m in my 40’s and ridiculously pleased to see a few AXOs on the list. Lol. And Big 12 ones too! 

I was the first person in my family to go to college, and I wanted to do EVERYTHING. I enjoyed it, but it was less of a pressure cooker at Kansas State than it is at a lot of southern schools. We actually had some diversity in my house too, both in race and religion, so outside the norm of what can be seen at a lot of universities. Especially in the TikTok era. 

I transferred to TCU as a senior and helped with rush, but ultimately just took alumni status. No separate houses at TCU (I loved ours at KSU) and as a fashion major, had enough of the clique drama there without adding on.  Plus by the time you’re a senior, a good chunk of you is just ready to move on too.

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I went to college in the 70's, and sororities weren't that popular.   They were viewed as snobby.   Also, almost everyone I knew that tried to join one found out they had no time for studying, that the mandatory clothing, dues, jewelry, and everything else were very expensive.     I don't recall anyone rushing a sorority that didn't flunk out, or dropped the sorority to get their grades back up. 

My husband was/is in what is considered the very greatest fraternity in the south.  All he gets from them are letters asking for donations.  Hazing is still a big thing at some colleges in the south.  Unfortunately there's the occasional death or brain damage from alcohol poisoning too.

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

Fun fact: These are the colts cheerleaders in the early 80s, lol. 

257468310_BaltimoreColtsCheerleader1980ish.jpg.90c8209f13af27c5196d13d810f223a6.jpg

I remember this when I was a kid and my dad watched football. There were near identical cheerleaders, but for two different teams 🤔 

• Love 1
On 8/24/2022 at 10:29 PM, kalibean said:

I’m in my 40’s and ridiculously pleased to see a few AXOs on the list. Lol. And Big 12 ones too! 

I was the first person in my family to go to college, and I wanted to do EVERYTHING. I enjoyed it, but it was less of a pressure cooker at Kansas State than it is at a lot of southern schools. We actually had some diversity in my house too, both in race and religion, so outside the norm of what can be seen at a lot of universities. Especially in the TikTok era. 

I transferred to TCU as a senior and helped with rush, but ultimately just took alumni status. No separate houses at TCU (I loved ours at KSU) and as a fashion major, had enough of the clique drama there without adding on.  Plus by the time you’re a senior, a good chunk of you is just ready to move on too.

Gina is an AXO from Pepperdine.  I am an AXO too

• Love 2

OK so I just found out I MIGHT be in the DFW area in February (right now looking like 2/21-22).  How far is DFW airport from Frisco?  What would be the recommended hotels near the airport?  My friend and I are planning to fly to DFW then drive to Atoka OK to visit Reba McEntire's new restaurant, Reba's Place.

ETA we're flying into Love Field and I'm HOPING to stay at the Hilton Anatole

Edited by JarlenaFan2022
added something

Flying into Love vs DFW definitely changes things! You’ll be able to take the Tollway right up to the Star, depending on traffic, and truly it’s not out of your way to Atoka (Tollway to 121 to 75/69.) It could be 20 minutes to an hour plus. It’s not far, but traffic stinks. There are a ton of hotels through that corridor, especially by the Galleria, Addison, Plano up through Frisco. 

It’s easy to get downtown from Love as well if you wanted to stay at the Anatole. See the grassy knoll, go to that Neiman Marcus or the one at Northpark, Highland Park village has a lot of great restaurants too. 

I’ve driven through Atoka a zillion times, glad to know about Reba’s restaurant! 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, kalibean said:

Flying into Love vs DFW definitely changes things! You’ll be able to take the Tollway right up to the Star, depending on traffic, and truly it’s not out of your way to Atoka (Tollway to 121 to 75/69.) It could be 20 minutes to an hour plus. It’s not far, but traffic stinks. There are a ton of hotels through that corridor, especially by the Galleria, Addison, Plano up through Frisco. 

It’s easy to get downtown from Love as well if you wanted to stay at the Anatole. See the grassy knoll, go to that Neiman Marcus or the one at Northpark, Highland Park village has a lot of great restaurants too. 

I’ve driven through Atoka a zillion times, glad to know about Reba’s restaurant! 

:( trip's off for the time being.  Friend can't get off work.  I actually figured this was gonna happen anyway.  

• Sad 1
On 1/28/2023 at 9:07 AM, kalibean said:

Got my trip back ON! We fly to TX 3/7 then fly home on 3/9.  Touring the stadium on the 7th then driving to Atoka to Reba's Place and back to Dallas on Wednesday.  Fly home on Thursday.  We were gonna try to stay at the Anatole but too expensive.

Edited by JarlenaFan2022
added something and can't spell/type
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JarlenaFan2022 said:

Got my trip back ON! We fly to TX 3/7 then fly home on 3/8.  Touring the stadium on 3/8 before the flight  My friend's looking to stay @ the Hilton Annatole too!

Just a heads up you won’t have field access that date at the stadium 

3 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Just a heads up you won’t have field access that date at the stadium 

That's fine as long as we get the Cheerleader's locker room.  I noticed that right off when I made the reservation.  No field access ALL MONTH apparently.  Also we're out on the 7th and home on the 9th now.

Edited by JarlenaFan2022
added something
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, JarlenaFan2022 said:

That's fine as long as we get the Cheerleader's locker room.  I noticed that right off when I made the reservation.  No field access ALL MONTH apparently.  Also we're out on the 7th and home on the 9th now.

Did you get the ticket with the tour guide or you doing the self guided tour 

On 1/31/2023 at 12:38 AM, Holly85 said:

Did you get the ticket with the tour guide or you doing the self guided tour 

Anyone know if touring the Star Is worth the $$$$?  Not sure we're gonna have time.  We've already booked a stadium tour and we still need to have a half day or so to drive up to Atoka OK to that restaurant.

Walking around by The Star really is fun too.  I didn't realize how much they'd put into it, I was just meeting a friend at Mi Cocina for some brisket tacos.  Lots of Cowboys history, and the field where Amber had her proposal is right there in the open.  It's a cool area for any football fan IMO, even if you aren't a Cowboys fan in particular.  

ETA:  @JarlenaFan2023 - I've had really good luck with an app called Hotel Tonight that some of my pilot friends told me about.  You can use it in advance, too, but sometimes you can get a luxury hotel on the cheap.  Curious if the Anatole is an option!  Tons of hotels between Love and The Star, though!

Edited by kalibean
  • Like 2
On 2/10/2023 at 10:39 AM, kalibean said:

ETA:  @JarlenaFan2023 - I've had really good luck with an app called Hotel Tonight that some of my pilot friends told me about.  You can use it in advance, too, but sometimes you can get a luxury hotel on the cheap.  Curious if the Anatole is an option!  Tons of hotels between Love and The Star, though!

I let my friend that's traveling with me handle the hotel reservation.  I handled the flight(s).  I seem to have a knack for picking the good flights.  Only thing missing this trip is we don't get to fly on a 737-MAX8 (specific type of aircraft).  Closest thing we get is the 737-800 (when booking with Southwest, if you click on the flight #s it'll tell you what type of aircraft will be assigned to that flight).  The other cool thing is, I get to see a cousin I haven't seen in YEARS when we change planes in Atlanta (he and his son both work at ATL airport).

Edited by JarlenaFan2023
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, JarlenaFan2023 said:

I let my friend that's traveling with me handle the hotel reservation.  I handled the flight(s).  I seem to have a knack for picking the good flights.  Only thing missing this trip is we don't get to fly on a 737-MAX8 (specific type of aircraft).  Closest thing we get is the 737-800 (when booking with Southwest, if you click on the flight #s it'll tell you what type of aircraft will be assigned to that flight).  The other cool thing is, I get to see a cousin I haven't seen in YEARS when we change planes in Atlanta (he and his son both work at ATL airport).

Looking forward to hearing about your trip! And that’s super fun about getting to see your cousin ❤️

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kalibean said:

Looking forward to hearing about your trip! And that’s super fun about getting to see your cousin ❤️

My cousin and his son are aircraft mechanics.  IIRC they both at one time worked for Delta and not sure if that's still the case or if they're contracted out to other airlines.  My cousin used to (not sure if he still does) fly around the country working on planes and not just at ATL

• Like 1
(edited)

T- 5 hrs and counting until I can print my BOARDING PASS for my trip to TX/OK.  Stuck on this song right now.  Who remembers it (note this is NOT the "original" video for this song)? 

ETA:  Here's the LIVE version for those that prefer it.

Edited by JarlenaFan2023
  • Love 1