Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Taralightner said:

I’m almost positive it was when Kitty was there and they were looking at the entire room, not just pink. It MIGHT have been her rookie year, but I think she was in blue when Kitty said it... she said, “I love her; she’s just nasty” to Kelli and Judy.   

@English Teacher- am I remembering correctly? 

Yes...but it was Ashley Nicole.  So many Ashley’s in those two seasons!   

3 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Kalyssa  was called nasty  by Judy but in a good way.

Completely failed on the spelling.  Sorry!!

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, English Teacher said:

Not a game question,  but a question for the dancers out there.  

What the heck does it mean to “flower arm” and why is that a bad thing?

Kitty uses “painting with arms” a lot. That just means that the arms are floating and not moving with sharp focus.  Think of a hippy dancing thoughtlessly with flowing arms that are all over the place as opposed to a traffic cop. 

Can you give me context for the “flower arm” comment? I’m a dance teacher (not as my only profession) and have danced since I was 4, but have never heard this term as a formal dance term. 

• Love 1
(edited)

@English Teacher To add to my response:

In Ballet, there are very specific arm positions that dancers learn very early in their education. As a dancer moves, arms are meant to pass through those specific positions as the transition from one piece of choreography to the next. If one would take a picture of the dancer, those specific arm positions should be able to be identified as the movement continues. Someone not familiar with this training, or someone without the muscle memory might not “hit” these positions “correctly.”

Many forms of dance use ballet technique as their foundation. However, hip hop doesn’t share this origin, although many trained dancers will refer to these techniques for vocabulary, or reference points, while learning hip hop styles. 

Edited by Taralightner
  • Love 1

Kitty uses “painting with arms” a lot. That just means that the arms are floating and not moving with sharp focus.  Think of a hippy dancing thoughtlessly with flowing arms that are all over the place as opposed to a traffic cop. 

Can you give me context for the “flower arm” comment? I’m a dance teacher (not as my only profession) and have danced since I was 4, but have never heard this term as a formal dance term. 

I recall hearing it a few times from Judy....and perhaps Kitty.... when they have the girls go down the room with those synchronized steps leading to pirouettes.  Does that help?

thank you for taking the time to answer me so thoroughly!   I kind of got the painting the walls remark.  Flower arms never made sense...neither did puppy dog hands.   ??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️

• Love 1
1 hour ago, English Teacher said:

I recall hearing it a few times from Judy....and perhaps Kitty.... when they have the girls go down the room with those synchronized steps leading to pirouettes.  Does that help?

thank you for taking the time to answer me so thoroughly!   I kind of got the painting the walls remark.  Flower arms never made sense...neither did puppy dog hands.   ??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️

Yes. It makes sense. They are using “painting arms” and (even though I haven’t picked up on them saying it) “flower arms” to describe what I did above. 

I THINK puppy dog hands is a Pom term- I’m NOT trained in Pom at all, but from context, I think it refers to breaking at the wrist when holding poms instead of holding and using them as an extension of the arm and wrist. 

• Love 1
(edited)

@English Teacher 

If you picture how a flower blooms, beautifully, never the same way twice, with petals opening softly, but haphazardly, that may help. Dance arms are really never haphazard and should be able to be repeated, exactly, over and over by everyone who does the steps... always in a uniform, purposeful manner. Feet and legs are the same as well. 

By the way, I’m always nervous about my grammar when I send posts directly to you. Lol 

Edited by Taralightner
Grammar for the English teacher
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

@English Teacher 

If you picture how a flower blooms, beautifully, never the same way twice, with petals opening softly, but haphazardly, that may help. Dance arms are really never haphazard and should be able to be repeated, exactly, over and over by everyone who does the steps... always in a uniform, purposeful manner. Feet and legs are the same as well. 

By the way, I’m always nervous about my grammar when I send posts directly to you. Lol 

??????. It is summer and I am off duty.  My tablet also randomly changes words so my sentences make no sense half the time 

again, thank you for explaining this.  It makes sense. 

PS: I wish I had your dance ability.  I think that’s why I love MTT and other dance shows. I can live vicariously.   Dance is such an amazing gift.  

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, English Teacher said:

??????. It is summer and I am off duty.  My tablet also randomly changes words so my sentences make no sense half the time 

again, thank you for explaining this.  It makes sense. 

PS: I wish I had your dance ability.  I think that’s why I love MTT and other dance shows. I can live vicariously.   Dance is such an amazing gift.  

I wish we lived close to each other! I teach adults as well. My oldest student right now is 78; most of the 15 adults had no experience before starting with me, and many of them have now signed up for ballet tap and jazz. Adult classes are my favorite times of the week! And, all of them have elected to be in the recitals at the end of the year!!! Love working with them and am always proud of them for getting under the lights!!! 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

Who said this;

”I hate to ask. Do you mind if I stay with you for a few days until I can find a hotel? I promise to be out as soon as possible.”

Bonus points: who responded to her request? 

Was it Karissa? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kayce said:

Was it Karissa? 

Have a treat! Feel free to start your own quote if you want.

To all playing the game: If you do start one, please make sure to tell the person with first correct answer that they got it. If there are wrong answers, I’ve been giving 15 second planks or 5 push-ups as “punishment.”  You can choose not to give punishment, but please let people know if they are wrong as well. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, English Teacher said:

See, these are the kind of explanations the girls need to receive when they are called out.  I realize that a lot of people don't like Melissa as a mentor, but she gives the girls these detailed descriptions.  So did Megan (probably why she's a coach now), and in re-watching old eps, Justine was wonderful helping the rookies.  And actually, shut the door is a wonderful way to explain something (Britney S)

• Love 3
(edited)
40 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

What are other shows that you guys binge on besides this one?  Not just reality shows, but episodic tv as well.  I need some new ones to watch.

West wing, good wife and madam secretary for binging. Curb Your Enthusiasm is awesome in my opinion. I’m also a Bravo person. For the brain, and current events I like Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC at 9pm) and Smerconish (CNN Saturday morning)

Big Bang is another favorite for me. 

There’s also a new show called American Woman that I’m enjoying. 

Edited by Taralightner
  • Love 1

I like Black Mirror, criminal Minds, One Tree Hill, Big Bang, big little lies ( only seven episodes),  I've been watching the Darlie Routier case, I can't remember the show. That's been eye opening. I love true crime. Also huge ER and Grey's fan. 

I read a lot. I'm off in summer sooooo I read and binge TV and read here and beauty youtubers. ??

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

What are other shows that you guys binge on besides this one?  Not just reality shows, but episodic tv as well.  I need some new ones to watch.

As much as I sort of hate to admit it--Heartland.  It's been going on 10 years now.   The actors/actresses are really great.  The storylines have substance to some extent.  Mainly it's about Amy and Ty and horses with problems along with their relationship.  But the supporting cast is superb.   And the same actors have stayed the whole 10  or 11 years.   No sex or cursing, but the romance is there.  My sister said it is "campy" but I like it because the ending is always happy.

10 minutes ago, Hummingbird24 said:

I've been watching the Darlie Routier case, I can't remember the show. That's been eye opening. I love true crime.

What do you think of the staircase murder?  Do you think he did it?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

@Hummingbird24

what are some of your favorite authors? 

I love Nelson DeMille, Patricia D Cornwell and Janet Evanovich for junk food. 

I love Patricia Cornwell! I am reading Depraved Heart right now. I also like Lianne Moriarty, Jennifer Weiner, and I do love Stephen King. Lol. His books can be thought provoking. I read 11/22/63 about a month ago. Great book.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Hummingbird24 said:

I love Patricia Cornwell! I am reading Depraved Heart right now. I also like Lianne Moriarty, Jennifer Weiner, and I do love Stephen King. Lol. His books can be thought provoking. I read 11/22/63 about a month ago. Great book.

I’m going to download Depraved Heart to the kindle! Haven’t read that one yet! Stephen King gives me nightmares. Lol. Is 11/22/63 a horror book? 

@parrotfeathers- what else do you watch and/or read? 

If I may join in the reading conversation?  For horror, I like Stephen King and Dean Koontz though Koontz can tend to purple prose at times.  I like Patricia Briggs and Kat Richardson for urban fantasy (they're Pacific Northwest authors and are awesome writers).  For other types of fantasy (with a splash of science fiction): early Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon (more military fantasy and science fiction; her World of Paksenarrion books are awesome) and Mercedes Lackey.  Jayne Ann Krentz (as well as her alter egos Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle) write a mean paranormal fantasy series in the Arcane Society books.  I've read many other authors, but these are most of the ones I keep coming back to.

I don't watch much television (I cut cable), but I've got Netflix and Amazon Prime.  I'll occasionally watch ANTM, Forensic Files, and a few other shows.  I think Amazon has the two seasons of Trace Evidence (featuring Dr. Henry Lee, who was involved in some big name cases and is known, at least nationwide, as a leading expert in forensic science, especially blood spatter).  Dr. G: Medical Examiner is another show I liked feature Dr. Jan Garavaglia who was the M.E. in Florida's District 9 Medical Examiner's Office (and cases she handled in Bexar County Texas), but I've only found the show either on television or DVD, not streaming.  There's a few other shows I watch, but my television is turned off more than it's turned on.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

I’m going to download Depraved Heart to the kindle! Haven’t read that one yet! Stephen King gives me nightmares. Lol. Is 11/22/63 a horror book? 

@parrotfeathers- what else do you watch and/or read? 

Actually no. It's a time travel-type book. It's great. I can't explain too much without giving it away, but 11/22/63 was the day JFK was assasinated. His later books are more suspense than hide under the bed scary which is what his early books made me do! Salem' Lot scared me so bad I had to give to my sister. ?

• Love 1
(edited)

@EricaShadows- interesting list!!! 

I’m also a freak about the Harry Potter series.. either of you a fan? 

I've read them and watched most of the movies, but I don't have either anymore.  I think I was burnt out on them after a while (partly because I read them so often and partly because I was working in a bookstore at the time).  I should go back and reread them just because I can.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I love Patricia Cornwell also.   Another great author (but not crime) is Susan Howatch.   

Love Dean Koontz.  The Watchers was my favorite, probably because of the dog.

Haven't ever tried any of the Harry Potter stuff.

Here’s a bet- read the first 5 chapters of the first book of the series... I wonder if you finish it in less than a week. For me, it’s as addictive as the first 3 Scarpetta books. 

Here’s a bet- read the first 5 chapters of the first book of the series... I wonder if you finish it in less than a week. For me, it’s as addictive as the first 3 Scarpetta books. 

I remember not expecting to like HP but decided to read it.  And I was instantly addicted.  

• Love 2

If anyone is looking for easy beach reads, I love Penny Reid. The Winston Brother series is my favorite but it all started with Knitting in the City series. They’re a little smarter than your average romance novel and just super fun. 

Sometimes I just want to give my brain a little rest, so I’ve wandered away from my usual mysteries. 

• Love 1
Just now, Hummingbird24 said:

Oh yes! Definitely a Harry Potter fan. Slytherin girl here. Everyone says, "but you're so nice!"  

Oh, we can’t be friends. I’m Griffendor all the way. Lol. But, I do have a very soft spot for Snape. (Others haven’t read it yet, so not saying much). 

On another note, are any of you NFL fans? Anyone know how or want to learn how to play fantasy football? We could start a league- just for fun- but we’d have to go offline from here.. if anyone is interested, pm me. We need AT LEAST 6, but 10-12 players is best. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Taralightner said:

Oh, we can’t be friends. I’m Griffendor all the way. Lol. But, I do have a very soft spot for Snape. (Others haven’t read it yet, so not saying much). 

On another note, are any of you NFL fans? Anyone know how or want to learn how to play fantasy football? We could start a league- just for fun- but we’d have to go offline from here.. if anyone is interested, pm me. We need AT LEAST 6, but 10-12 players is best. 

I'm a football fan. I haven't played fantasy in awhile, but I made lifelong friends in an OLD yahoo Dallas Cowboys forum.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Taralightner said:

@hypeman- are you in the industry? Do you dance, teach choreograph? 

Definitely not. I have taken ballet classes and done many years of hip hop classes. I have no technical dance knowledge. I just comment on what I thinks looks good. That's why you'll never hear me critique anyone's technique.

Just to add, I really appreciate the dance critiques from dance professionals and trained dancers.??

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, hypeman said:

Definitely not. I have taken ballet classes and done many years of hip hop classes. I have no technical dance knowledge. I just comment on what I thinks looks good. That's why you'll never hear me critique anyone's technique.

Just to add, I really appreciate the dance critiques from dance professionals and trained dancers.??

You’ve got reference points! So glad to read that you had some ballet mixed with hip hop! Many men don’t do that! Good for you. I asked, because I think your critiques/ comments on style, etc are solid. 

• Love 3

Heartland is such a good show! It gets a little "Mary Souish" at times, but idk I like it cause it's easy to watch.

The Staircase was actually really interesting and I didn't think I was going to be into it, but I ended up enjoying it and googling it to look deeper.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, hypeman said:

I think that's why they have the audition judges that they do - cause they will comment on what looks good.  The fans at the game are commenting on the routine, we comment on the routine - if it looks good or bad.  Not too many of us, except the dance trained ones, will really know if a technical move was performed correctly.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2018 at 9:08 PM, Taralightner said:

I would win that bet. I've tried to read all of the HP books, I make it to about chapter 5 and HATE them so much. Yuck and double yuck, I didn't like the movies either. 

Regarding the fantasy football, wasn't there a season (or maybe I saw it on Twitter) where the DCC picked fantasy teams? Anyhow, I've been playing for years. I have a 5 year champion streak going at work. Last season, I played on a random league on ESPN. It was all dudes and me (as usual lol) Anyhow, all they did was criticize me "that's not who you pick next! You are doing it wrong! Are you SURE that's the player you want?" Guess who won the league lol. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GBPackersfan said:

I would win that bet. I've tried to read all of the HP books, I make it to about chapter 5 and HATE them so much. Yuck and double yuck, I didn't like the movies either. 

Regarding the fantasy football, wasn't there a season (or maybe I saw it on Twitter) where the DCC picked fantasy teams? Anyhow, I've been playing for years. I have a 5 year champion streak going at work. Last season, I played on a random league on ESPN. It was all dudes and me (as usual lol) Anyhow, all they did was criticize me "that's not who you pick next! You are doing it wrong! Are you SURE that's the player you want?" Guess who won the league lol. 

We are the same fantasy football girl! Do you play with IDP, or team defense? I like IDP more. Should we try to start a league here? 

What's the deal with this black background?  It looks like a chalk board. I thought there was something wrong with my Amazon Fire but I'm now on my laptop and it's the same. Why the change?

6 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

What's the deal with this black background?  It looks like a chalk board. I thought there was something wrong with my Amazon Fire but I'm now on my laptop and it's the same. Why the change?

Mine isn’t black- looks the same as it always has. Is it possible that you hit a button on your account that changed it? I hate it when stuff changes on my devices! I just hate it! Sorry you’re dealing with this. 

36 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen. There are suns and moon symbols with S, M, L, XL next to them. The sun makes it brighter and the moon makes it that dark background. Change it to the sun and it should fix it. Mine got changed by mistake one time. 

• Love 2