Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: In A Family Way

Ben and Vicki face graduation, but have few job prospects and make a tough decision about moving him to Seattle. Also: Mayur becomes distant from Maneka and Taylor makes a painful decision regarding her health.

(edited)

I have so many questions about Taylor's health issues.

1. How do you get married to someone that you KNOW wants kids and do not disclose that you have possible fertility issues? That is deceit. I feel like if you told a divorce attorney that, she would make a case for fraud.

2. Taylor said on Twitter that she's known David for ten years; how did David not know about the surgeries?

3. How does David not know that Taylor has been bleeding? Have they not had sex in their marriage?

I'm going to need Maneka to be less pathetic, I'm sorry. I was gagging when she was like "You wanted MY say?" like Mayur was actually doing something. You need to REQUIRE that you make major life decisions together. This is why I couldn't stand their talk about her quitting one of her jobs - she was asking his permission. That was not a discussion between equals, and that is so gross to me. (Occasionally on a fictional show or movie, a person will buy a house without telling his wife and he'll surprise her with it as a romantic grand gesture. I do not think that's romantic. I would be LIVID.) When he was like "I want you to have a nice house to come home to," I was like " ... And more house to clean." Ugh, he is the worst. I have to wonder what Maneka's parents, who do seem to have a loving marriage (they laugh a lot in their interviews), think of the way Mayur treats Maneka.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 9

Was there ever any explanation about how Ben became an Orthodox Jew?  I missed the first episode or two.  I know Vicki's deal.

And let me just say that there are few things I hate more than parents who attempt to guilt their kids into doing something that is absolutely none of the parents' business.  I'm sure that whole skype chat with Ben's parents was a set up by the producers to try to wring some drama out of the Seattle-NYC situation; that being said, I've always told my sons that they need to go where their lives take them--their lives, their decisions. Can't stand selfish parents of grown children.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

And let me just say that there are few things I hate more than parents who attempt to guilt their kids into doing something that is absolutely none of the parents' business.  I'm sure that whole skype chat with Ben's parents was a set up by the producers to try to wring some drama out of the Seattle-NYC situation; that being said, I've always told my sons that they need to go where their lives take them--their lives, their decisions. Can't stand selfish parents of grown children.  

If only all parents of grown children could think like you, Auntie Anxiety. Although it may be seen as overstepping boundaries, I think that from the families' perspectives, it was practicality reasons. Personally, I would love to live in Seattle, it appears like Vicki wants to get away from every member of her family or something. I also dont get how suddenly she went from wanting to be a stay-at-home mom to 5 or 10 kids to talking about law school like it is something she has been planning for a while. However, I think that this episode showed a maturity in this couple, especially Ben, who first tried o think practically and then realized that Vicki had strong feelings otherwise and listened to her (unless I missed something?). 

Again, many aspects of this show make no sense and there is way too much acting... if there is a season with new couples next year I wont bother to watch it. I'd rather see a documentary about a truly arranged couple. My next door neighbors are from India and she told me that she and her husband had an arranged marriage so I learn a lot more through her about what its like. 

It is obvious that Taylor and David had the convo about her health issues before the wedding and this was just for the cameras. Taylor seems more likeable to me now, watching her struggle with a devastating possible consequence to her health issue. I also felt very sad for Maneka and alitle bewildered when she asked his permission to quit real estate and he said no. Huh??Was he charging her rent to live in his townhome or something ? She should have been a little more direct and stopped cooking 3 meals a day for him and cleaning instead. 

• Love 1

Wait. Isn't Seattle as or more expensive than NYC? Couldn't they just split the difference and go to like, the Midwest or something? 

1. They'd be paying much less. God almighty, with today's interest rates, they could get a McMansion with an 8-car garage and a butler who will hokey pokey on cue for what they're paying in New York.
  2. There's Orthodox Jews everywhere. 

If that fails, maybe Jersey or Pennsylvania. They're not far from NYC then. 

• Love 1

The thing i dislike about Mayur and  Maneka's interaction footage is that he's always looking everywhere but at her- out the car window, at his laptop or at his phone- and she's practically all over him vying for his full attention. Buying a new house seems like a nice gesture but it won't make up for that, and i'm betting he found one with enough rooms for him to run away and hide from her. Except for when he wants dinner. 

While i knew Vicki was from Seattle, i didn't realize that Ben was also. I thought he was from NY and grew up in Far Rockaway, (the way he was so insistent at the beginning that they should live there instead of Manhattan) so all of this talk and pressuring her to move back there seemed really strange. The editing of this show at times can be strange and confusing.

Taylor and David- so she's been insufferable, crabby, and selfish this whole time to him, and everyone else, because of medical complications? Ohhh, ok then...

• Love 4

Two thoughts:  

has David not realized that Taylor has been bleeding just about every day since they were married?  

Vickie: if you want to be a paralegal you don't have to go to law school. I'm a paralegal and I did go to an ABA accredited paralegal school for five months. You go to law school if you want to be an attorney.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, VanSensei said:

Wait. Isn't Seattle as or more expensive than NYC? Couldn't they just split the difference and go to like, the Midwest or something? 

1. They'd be paying much less. God almighty, with today's interest rates, they could get a McMansion with an 8-car garage and a butler who will hokey pokey on cue for what they're paying in New York.

I'm basing my knowledge of Seattle real estate on House Hunters (I do know NYC real estate) so take this with a grain of salt, but I think Seattle, while pricey, is a bit cheaper than NYC, and you get MUCH more space for your money. If they do end up with a large family, space will be an issue if they stay in NYC. (One side of my family has been in Brooklyn for a century. My grandmother, one of six, shared a room with her three sisters, two to a bed.)

• Love 1

I don't understand why I watch this dreck, yet here we are. It's all so fake. No one is arranged and they're acting about everything. I "watched" last week's episode by playing on my phone and just listening. The editors cut together almost every sentence out of their mouths. So this shit show would even be worse, if that's possible. 

• Love 3

Why do Ben and Vicky talk about their parents finding jobs for them instead of doing what most other adults do: finding a job yourself?

Good question.  In my world, if you consider yourself enough of an adult to jump into an arranged marriage, then you are enough of an adult to find yourself a job.

I still find myself fascinated and distracted by Mayur's flat head.

I didn't realize how huge Taylor's mother was until the shot of her "cleaning" the tile floor.  And what a lame party!

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, kat12379 said:

Personally, I would love to live in Seattle, it appears like Vicki wants to get away from every member of her family or something.

I think she doesn't want to be reminded daily that her family wishes she hasn't made the decision to convert. Which I can understand, even though I hugely sympathize with her mother's concerns. But then, I feel like every single conflict they have is staged at this point. In every episode they have a huge disagreement, resulting in both stomping their feet and demanding their way like toddlers. Then one or both talk to someone else, and they resolve the issue. Fakety fake fake. Or if not fake, they really need to learn how to listen to each other to begin with, and grow the eff up.

So. Taylor's mom called David a whiny bitch because he still mourns his father. What a classy lady she is. Never mind the fact that her daughter is a spoiled little princess who's going to get tossed off a plane when she has to serve someone like herself! And I surely hope all that medical talk was staged. You do not go into marriage with a secret of that proportion. Good grief.

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 4

Vicky always looks so miserable. Even at her "job" (hahaha, if that's her job I'll eat my hat), dolefully swabbing the cheerful colorful counters and chairs in her sad, shapeless grey sweater and dowdy black dress. She looked like a big old muddy footprint on a clean white sneaker. Why does she dress like a funeral ready grandma who hasn't bought a new dress since 1957? And I don't think "you'll have to make an appointment to see your kids" is much of a selling point. These two just exhaust me.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, VanSensei said:

NY is the most expensive city to live in the US. Seattle is number 8. Yet I can imagine they would probably be able to find a place not from from Seattle that would cost less and be affordable. I think a move back would be more so for them to have family close by instead of across the country. Mind you where I am is considered part of Los Angeles even though I'm in Orange County and L.A. is 2 on the list. It is up there in price. Rent is not far off from what they said that little place was in NY. Only difference is we have more space in our places and can find rentals cheaper. Most rentals that are what they claim to be paying are house rentals or what are now being called "apartment homes" and brand new overpriced places. Aside from cost of rent or a house you have to also take into account so much more as well. Wages that you might earn in each city, gas, food, utilities, taxes and so on. In the end there is lots to consider when it comes to this. As in our case, we are in an area that is to much but yet if we were to move and my husband found the same job elsewhere it wouldn't be as much money as he gets now and we would probably still be living as we do either way. So for them since they are newlyweds they could make that move after school is done and figure out where they really want to end up living. They wouldn't have to settle now on a location but I would say not to buy a thing until they are sure on where they would want to really live. Otherwise I feel like cost of all things should be looked in when moving and the jobs. 

• Love 1

I would hope that the next season of this show (if there is one) will include: 

a Fundamentalist Mormon couple from Utah

A Jewish couple born and raised in Boro Park, NY

An Indian couple where one of the spouses is flying in from India to get married to arranged partner

a strict Muslim couple whose families really arranged the marriage

Just throwing some ideas out there!

• Love 7

I understand Vicki's point of view that living in NY is great and all, but they will likely be reliant on their parents for a long time if they chose to live there... I doubt they will be able to budget to the point of indepedence of Vicki has a part time job at an ice cream store and Ben is a student. Most of the people and acquaintences I know who live in NYC have several roommates or have professional careers. I did think that there was a Modern Orthodox community in Seattle with a school including a high school. When I was 20 years old, I wanted to move to NYC and adopt a more religious lifestyle (more relaxed than Vicki though). My brother had done it and he now lives in Far Rockaway. However - I didnt have much money and neither did my parents to get me started. So I stayed in my hometown, got an education, a Masters degree and a career - and found a Jewish boy in the same nowhere-land town as me. Now we are raising a family and with the help of other Jewish families in the area, are building the community here and next year a school will be built. So I guess it was meant for me to stay out of NYC. But I digress; Ben and Vicki and very young and will have to go through many frugal, tight tight budget years until they will be able to live more comfortably in NY. 

• Love 2

Vicky and Ben are paying $2500/mo. for their place ( unless that's just for the show)  and Ben said they are relying on their parents for money right now. If their parents are smart* they will cut them off when they graduate and the decision about where they live will be made for them. (Read: whatever they can afford on a part-time ice cream shop salary. How much does  being a lazy ass and bossing your wife around pay?)

* and I have my doubts since they raised those two

• Love 1

I have not seen the episode yet because my cable service went haywire this week and several channels were not working and of course the one this show is on was one of them.

That being said, there are comments here about Taylor's excuse for being an absolute nasty, vile person on some medical condition. She will never get a pass from me. Now she's just a nasty, vile bitch with a medical issue. I think it's all bull anyway. I cannot believe I wasted my time on this trash of a show.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Vicky and Ben are paying $2500/mo. for their place ( unless that's just for the show)  and Ben said they are relying on their parents for money right now. If their parents are smart* they will cut them off when they graduate and the decision about where they live will be made for them. (Read: whatever they can afford on a part-time ice cream shop salary. How much does  being a lazy ass and bossing your wife around pay?)

* and I have my doubts since they raised those two

That is what they claimed but it came out they really weren't living there to begin with so we have no clue what the cost is they are paying for rent. As well as they said from the get go they were using their savings to live off of. Did they now say the parents? I haven't watched this episode yet. Haven't had the chance to and really not in a hurry with what I am reading here but if they are now saying their parents are paying for shit then they really need to get their stories straight on things. Is it savings or parents? That tv apartment or the Far Rockaway? This season of this show was the biggest joke. While I have no doubt he is an man child control freak, Taylor is a bitch and that Mayur is a controlling greaseball but come one producers!!! Nothing was arranged at all!! And of all things we got one couple pushing their businesses on us left and right like it was a big infomercial!!!

• Love 2

It looks like Taylor is taking a page out of bethenney's playbook and blaming her bad behavior on female problems. (You know, bleeding from the vagina) Maybe they can get the annulment that they keep throwing around since she didn't disclose her possible fertility issues. 

Seattle proper is expensive though not New York City or San Fran levels. They don't have to live directly in the city though. I think it's ridiculous that their parents subsidize a married couple. I was on the young side and still in school and my parents made no bones about if that if we wanted to get married we'd need to be able to cover our financial responsibilities. We did it but we were on the same lines as Travis and Brenda in teenage newlyweds and lived on rice a roni. 

• Love 3

Personally I would not use the B word for anyone on this show as I dont know any of these people personally and who knows how much is real. But if Taylor really does have those gyno problems, I think she is upset at the idea that she might never have kids, not that she is bleeding all the time or in physical pain. She mentioned that for the past 4 months she did not get pregnant without any type of birth control at all, which I think for a 25 year old might be kind of a long period of time to not conceive. I understand that some couples get pregnant after a few months of trying but after being told she might have fertility problems it doesnt help. And to be honest for many people that fact can be devastating and I do feel bad for her if this issue is upsetting her. And I commend David for sticking through it with her despite him wanting to have kids. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Gynecological problems don't make a woman be a bitch unless she was already a bitch. I know this from my own experience with very serious female troubles.

Agreed, however, chronic or intractable pain can make one more irritable or cranky than normal with a lower frustration tolerance, so maybe more likely to have a shorter fuse. I had issues in this area and had a hysterectomy early in my child bearing window and that was a bit depressing, but the pain and issues had gotten to the point where it was the best and only alternative after already going through the lower level procedures as an attempt to manage these symptoms. It was actually a relief, but depressing to know that there would be no more babies ever in my future. However, Taylor is likely to have this type of personality that is intensified when in pain or feeling unwell. 

• Love 1

Taylor's Mom completely insensitive response about David's grieving for his father made my blood freeze.

If the fertility problems and cancer cells are a true story, I'm sorry for Taylor or anybody who has to go through something like that. But the fact the she marries someone without disclosing this is absolutely unacceptable. If he really loves you, he will still say yes to getting married, but to "cheat" him into marrying you without knowing is a deal breaker move.

Vicky wanted kids ASAP and now she wants to go to law school? Which is it??

• Love 4
On 7/13/2016 at 5:51 PM, kat12379 said:

I would hope that the next season of this show (if there is one) will include: 

a Fundamentalist Mormon couple from Utah

A Jewish couple born and raised in Boro Park, NY

An Indian couple where one of the spouses is flying in from India to get married to arranged partner

a strict Muslim couple whose families really arranged the marriage

Just throwing some ideas out there!

The trouble is that a regular orthodox brooklyn-y couple wouldnt go on tv to portray their personal lives. That's why they were only able to get a Modern Orthodox "not quite arranged" couple to do it.

In addiiton, form what I've heard, Ben and Vicki did not realize when they signed the contract for the show that they would have to 'play up' the little smidgens of negativity that creeps into most people's early marriage and present themselves totally different than they really are. And breaking a contract involves a huge financial penalty.

I won't be surprised after this show is over when the real truth comes out. Remember "Breaking Amish?" All of those actors were long-since English, they were NOT escaping their families at the time as was purported on camera.

I'll bet you that both Vicki and Ben are extremely excited to move back to Seattle and just have to pretend to be mad.

Sighhhhh.

• Love 2

I watched this one finally...all I have to say is there is just way to much made up BS in this show. More some than others. There is no way that Taylor and David hadn't discussed all that stuff before. Especially considering how long they have really know each other. It seems more of a well you have this issue let's make it seem like you guys never talked about it before. Otherwise I would think he would be beyond pissed on not knowing while they dated and more so after getting engaged.

Ben's parents, the push to have them move back to Seattle and bringing up kids...sorry but let it go. They have to learn to figure out how to be frickin adults with out them all butting in. Closer to them they will want to rush the kids on them. I just can see Ben being even worse than he is now with the control. That is something I think he is too. I find it kind of pathetic how Ben is about being away from home for Passover. Has he never been away from them during that time because of school or anything else he might have been doing? Does he not get you make your own traditions when you have your own family? Being they are so young it would make sense to just live away from them if you can to grow as they would need to. While he said he wanted to stay in NY I have to wonder how long before he changed/s his mind on that. LOL 

I could care less about the needy whiny and greaseball. They have been nothing but fake from day 1 and did this show to push their careers. I am disgusted by them. I wish we just never ever see them again. I am just thankful I haven't ever seen their faces plastered around my area trying to sell homes. I hope it stays that way. 

On 7/15/2016 at 6:50 PM, Big Mother said:

The trouble is that a regular orthodox brooklyn-y couple wouldnt go on tv to portray their personal lives. That's why they were only able to get a Modern Orthodox "not quite arranged" couple to do it.

In addiiton, form what I've heard, Ben and Vicki did not realize when they signed the contract for the show that they would have to 'play up' the little smidgens of negativity that creeps into most people's early marriage and present themselves totally different than they really are. And breaking a contract involves a huge financial penalty.

I won't be surprised after this show is over when the real truth comes out. Remember "Breaking Amish?" All of those actors were long-since English, they were NOT escaping their families at the time as was purported on camera.

I'll bet you that both Vicki and Ben are extremely excited to move back to Seattle and just have to pretend to be mad.

Sighhhhh.

You are so right about their limited choices for a Jewish couple for the show. Watching that Moments show, they showed the Ketubah (marriage contract) that that contract clearly states (as did the words on the screen) that Ben will provide for Vicki. That is his obligation and it's taken very seriously if you are observant. Meanwhile, he was all about Vicki getting a job because he was too busy. That is just an unheard of attitude in the world of the orthodox and had me calling bs on this charade of a la carte "rules" they designed for themselves for television since most viewers would not know.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

You are so right about their limited choices for a Jewish couple for the show. Watching that Moments show, they showed the Ketubah (marriage contract) that that contract clearly states (as did the words on the screen) that Ben will provide for Vicki. That is his obligation and it's taken very seriously if you are observant. Meanwhile, he was all about Vicki getting a job because he was too busy. That is just an unheard of attitude in the world of the orthodox and had me calling bs on this charade of a la carte "rules" they designed for themselves for television since most viewers would not know.

I caught that myself. Yet if he was going by that then he would have been standing up to say I think I will get a job to help us out and if you would like to do the same its ok with me. Something along the lines of hey I'm doing this first to provide so that way it wouldn't come off as you go do it all and I do nothing but have you take care of my man child self. Sorry but even in that  Re-arranged he came off like a immature pain in the ass. There are times to be goofy like but there are times when its like settle down and act like the adult you are suppose to be. One can only take so much of that stuff really. That was the first episode that we didn't have to here whiny and greasy mention their businesses. To bad it hadn't been that way the whole season. Still came off fake but it wouldn't have felt like they were trying to sell us their services if they had edited out all that stuff. LOL  And that Taylor wasn't more like she was in this one too. She was more playful and less bitchy like. 

• Love 1

I thought everyone was more likeable in Rearranged with the exception of manure and maneka. They are both wooden and uninteresting. I loved Taylor's explanation of no ma'am and David's never ending list of marriage analogies. 

I agree, Taylor came off a lot better. You can see she has a fun and playful side. Not enough to counteract the bitchiness though.

Vicki's always going to have x children + 1 (Ben). You can totally tell that Ben will be the goofy, fun dad and Vicki will have to be the disciplinarian. There are so many Torah laws! I don't know how they remember them all.

• Love 3

Vicky's such a downer. Don't mistake me, I think she drew the short straw and Ben is an immature man-baby with a nasty controlling streak. But my god, she's just a sourpuss. She never seems to cut loose and have fun, or even enjoy Ben's goofiness. Its not my cup of tea, but she's the one who married him.

2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Vicky's such a downer. Don't mistake me, I think she drew the short straw and Ben is an immature man-baby with a nasty controlling streak. But my god, she's just a sourpuss. She never seems to cut loose and have fun, or even enjoy Ben's goofiness. Its not my cup of tea, but she's the one who married him.

I don't think she is a downer but one can only go so long with that in their face. He acts like a kid that doesn't know what to do with himself so he is annoying the heck out of her to get attention. Which since they had never lived with each other before they got married she may not have expected it to end up being so much of it. I will never understand why she married him honestly but he is way to child like. He doesn't have a balance of goofy and non goofy or get when to cool it. He is one of those people that think no matter what they do or for how long they do it you should find them funny. Yet if one is making dinner or cleaning its not like you want them in your way. We saw them being goofy together though. With the wig. She even took a pic of him in it and was laughing. Which at the same time gave him an idea of the hell she has to go through when putting that on. I do wish we saw her smile more and cut loose but it seems like the times that she might have that Ben ended up either showing up (bridal shower) or said something to make sure it didn't happen. Like she is not suppose to be able to cut loose and have fun. When they showed her with her friend away from Ben she seemed to smile more and be a little more relaxed. So I can't help but wonder if its Ben and/or the religion and what it is. I just know that I will never understand why she wanted to be with him of all people out there. He showed signs of immaturity before the marriage and it got worse after.

• Love 2

Yeah, Ben wants to enjoy Ben's fun, at the expense of consideration for Vicky. It seems to make him ramp up the obnoxious to 11 when she shows any irritation. I get that when he's all in her face and doing his crazy manic pixie Ben bit, it's annoying when she's trying to do something else. I myself would kill him without mercy or compunction. But she married him! She supposedly at least knows he does this little circus act. The moments with them both laughing and having fun seem very few, to me; and agreed--when she does have fun, Ben seems pretty quick to put the kibosh on it. So maybe she's a downer because Ben is so into being a controlling jerk that her spirit is already being crushed. She seems so beaten down already.

• Love 1

I've seen several episodes where unemployed Ben asserts his authority over Vicky, telling her to watch her spending, stop buying/using make-up & insisting she get a job. If she gives in to his ridiculous demand to return to Seattle because he misses his mommy & daddy...she will be expected to kow-tow to her husband's demands & allow his mother, to mold her into the perfect orthodox Jewish Stepford wife & mother.  The only career Vicky can look forward to is cooking, cleaning & changing diapers. That girl is so unhappy......I don't see how  this marriage can last much longer.    

• Love 1

God help me, I actually liked Taylor in the moments episode.  And David wasn't nearly as "whipped" in the new episode.  We saw him coming back at her and we saw them having fun together.  It was a very welcome change.

• Love 5

I think Ben's weirdness is cute. But then again I am a very weird person and do a lot of that sorts of stuff. I'm always dancing around or making noise and singing and all that....but my boyfriend thinks it's cute. So cute he asked me to move in with him when he gets a new place (and I'm super excited!). But sometimes he just rolls his eyes at me when I'm being a bit over the top and will be like "calm down, woman". I can appreciate Ben's quirks and would probably join right in. I am surprised Vicki gets so annoyed by it because she's the one who married him. She knew what he's like...or at least I suppose she did.

• Love 1

I've seen several episodes where unemployed Ben asserts his authority over Vicky, telling her to watch her spending, stop buying/using make-up & insisting she get a job.

I admit I haven't seen every minute of every episode, but I kept wondering....WHO gets married without a job no matter how religious you are?  And how are they paying for their apartment in NY?  I assume Vicky's part time job isn't their only income.  Whatever money they are getting for this gig is only temporary.  I can definitely see them moving back in with parents after school is over out of necessity until they get a clue as to what they want to do with their future.

I've seen several episodes where unemployed Ben asserts his authority over Vicky, telling her to watch her spending, stop buying/using make-up & insisting she get a job.

I admit I haven't seen every minute of every episode, but I kept wondering....WHO gets married without a job no matter how religious you are?  And how are they paying for their apartment in NY?  I assume Vicky's part time job isn't their only income.  Whatever money they are getting for this gig is only temporary.  I can definitely see them moving back in with parents after school is over out of necessity until they get a clue as to what they want to do with their future.

3 hours ago, Palomar said:

What was said first was that they were living off of savings they both had and put it together. Later on Ben claimed they were living off their parents so who knows what the truth really is. Heck from what someone posted they weren't even living in that NY apartment but in Far Rockaway where he wanted to live to begin with. I would imagine if they want to stay there they would both need to work. Yet I am sure if he has his way, like usually, they will be moving back to Seattle to live with his parents or close to them. 

14 hours ago, fliptopbox said:

I think Ben's weirdness is cute. But then again I am a very weird person and do a lot of that sorts of stuff. I'm always dancing around or making noise and singing and all that....but my boyfriend thinks it's cute. So cute he asked me to move in with him when he gets a new place (and I'm super excited!). But sometimes he just rolls his eyes at me when I'm being a bit over the top and will be like "calm down, woman". I can appreciate Ben's quirks and would probably join right in. I am surprised Vicki gets so annoyed by it because she's the one who married him. She knew what he's like...or at least I suppose she did.

That's the thing. This is a couple that was never allowed to be alone because of their observance to orthodox Jewish law (or at least the a la carte rules that they chose to follow for a television show). Remember in the show when Vicky said in order to get some privacy, Jewish couples hang out in their car that's parked not in a lover's lane or anything (because that would cause temptation) but instead, just parked on the street. They were not allowed to touch each other or do any of the typical dating things that people do so while she knew he was  bit of a goof-- and maybe that was endearing to her-- she didn't get the full on Ben until after the wedding and he was at home free to be himself all the time. It would drive me nuts, not because I would think it's not cute, but because there is a time and place for everything and if I'm up against the clock trying to cook a meal or whatever, swinging things in my face and the like is inconsiderate and rude.

• Love 2