Type keyword(s) to search

Gut-Busters: TV's Funniest Moments

• Start Topic

OK, I preface this by acknowledging that I understand that Japanese is NOT the same as English or any other language with its own alphabet and that, in fact, it has three systems of characters so I am no way making fun of the language itself or anyone who speaks it.

However, last night (July 23,2021), I couldn't stop laughing at the  2021 Olympic Parade of Nations in which the Competing Nations paraded into the Opening Ceremonial Stadium by what was considered the Japanese alphabetical order- and it seemed almost as though someone had written down every single name of all competing nations on scraps of paper, put them in a hat then threw the hat in the air and let the names fly like confetti and where ever they landed, THAT is how the nations were put in order. 

I couldn't stop laughing and trying to anticipate which nation would be next in that seemingly ( to this non-Japanese viewer) random order with such doozies as 'Austria, Oman, Netherlands, Cape Verde'.  

Am I the only one who thought this was unintentionally funny?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Normally I have friends over to watch the Opening Ceremonies and we play a game where you have to guess which country is next and what sport their flag bearer plays. For scheduling purposes we couldn’t do it this year which was probably for the best given the order! 

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Normally I have friends over to watch the Opening Ceremonies and we play a game where you have to guess which country is next and what sport their flag bearer plays. For scheduling purposes we couldn’t do it this year which was probably for the best given the order! 

That sounds like fun.  One year my friends had an opening ceremony party and they did a quiz where they would show us a flag and we would have to identify to which country it belonged.  It was a very humbling quiz.  

• Love 1

I really needed a laugh, to get my mind off of real life and news of loss, and re-watching an old favorite of mine really did the trick. I don't care how unrealistic or anachronistic it was.

Michaela Quinn giving birth on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. After a very long contraction, Sully (trope of panicked husband, I don't CARE!), asks if there's anything he can do for her (She went into labor when they were in the woods. I DON'T CARE; it's set in 1870), and she cups his face and caresses it and is about to tell him she loves him, when she's hit with another contraction and ends up pinching and digging her fingers into his face while she rides it through. 

Joe Lando did an amazing job of Sully trying not to yell out in pain and his facial expressions were just what I needed to get a respite from my own tears.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I really needed a laugh, to get my mind off of real life and news of loss, and re-watching an old favorite of mine really did the trick. I don't care how unrealistic or anachronistic it was.

Michaela Quinn giving birth on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. After a very long contraction, Sully (trope of panicked husband, I don't CARE!), asks if there's anything he can do for her (She went into labor when they were in the woods. I DON'T CARE; it's set in 1870), and she cups his face and caresses it and is about to tell him she loves him, when she's hit with another contraction and ends up pinching and digging her fingers into his face while she rides it through. 

Joe Lando did an amazing job of Sully trying not to yell out in pain and his facial expressions were just what I needed to get a respite from my own tears.

Lol poor Sully.

Im so sorry for your loss. 😢

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Love 2

For me, it's this scene from That 70s Show - especially Kelso and Fez's reaction at the very end that's the cherry on top

Edited by ctlady
Because I didn't look good enough to see there was already a thread for this
  • Love 2

For some reason today I kept thinking of the episode of Family Ties where the parents are away and the kids rent out rooms as it's Homecoming week-end.   It's solid comedy gold throughout but this scene just kills me:

[Steven's reaction to Alex turning their house into a hotel] 

Steven : Alex, parents are conditioned to put up with a few minor accidents when they leave their children home alone. A broken vase, spilt milk on the rug... There was a kangaroo... in my living room.

Alex P. Keaton : ...He was just here for the party dad.

Steven : Then I guess I'm overreacting.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

So many LOL moments in the Marie's Sculpture episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.

From Robert's facial expression and, "Oh......my God!" when he sees what the sculpture resembles after Ray whispers it in his ear to Marie's "Oh my God, I'm a lesbian" reaction when she finally sees it

Edited by ctlady
forgot to highlight
  • LOL 3
33 minutes ago, ctlady said:

So many LOL moments in the Marie's Sculpture episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.

From Robert's facial expression and, "Oh......my God!" when he sees what the sculpture resembles after Ray whispers it in his ear to Marie's "Oh my God, I'm a lesbian" reaction when she finally sees it

My favorite part of the episode is when the nuns come to collect the sculpture.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

In honor of Thanksgiving this week:  As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

That episode (hell, that show--I've shown my kids and their friends and they all love it) is still so funny after all these years.  This is my second favorite Thanksgiving scene.  From The West Wing:

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Is that ^ the episode where he was such a pain in the ass about the perfect knife?

No, the Butterball hotline is from "The Indians in the Lobby" and the damn knife storyline (I hate it) is from "Shibboleth", the same episode with the turkey pardon.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

That episode (hell, that show--I've shown my kids and their friends and they all love it) is still so funny after all these years.  

My mom and I were watching that episode this past weekend and just cracking up. Not only does it have that infamous line, but there's also Johnny's story about Carlson sending those wigs to the earthquake victims, and Les' whole report (I love when he's ever so slowly reading off what's written on the banner)... Just hilarious from start to finish. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

I’m partial to Friends’ TOW Ross Got High. The final scene with the shouting of secrets, followed by Judy Geller going down the list and addressing everyone’s problems was gold. “And, Rachel, no you weren’t supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good.”

Edited by AgathaC
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

No, the Butterball hotline is from "The Indians in the Lobby"

What was cool about that episode was that the Native Americans who appeared were our clients for the firm I worked at during that time. We represented a lot of the Nations and Pueblos.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, AgathaC said:

I’m partial to Friends’ TOW Ross Got High. The final scene with the shouting of secrets, followed by Judy Geller going down the list and addressing everyone’s problems was gold. “And, Rachel, no you weren’t supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good.”

Was that the one where Joey showed up wearing his Thanksgiving pants, aka stretch pants? That was hilarious. 

If it's not, I do remember that Joey loved Rachel's trifle. Beef... Good. 

• LOL 3

In 2011 Jon Stewart did an interview with Ricky Gervais. The interview took a huge turn when the discussion turned to the mating habits of Pandas. Maybe the funniest interview I have ever heard. A bit NSFW and age restricted.

• LOL 2
On 12/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, xaxat said:

You have to feel sorry for all four of them, but why did the other three try it?   Especially after the man on the left side is gagging, and the other woman tries it anyway?   The smartest one is the man in the brown coat who didn't even try it.  Poor Amber "It burns!".   Tell me someone at the network refused to post the recipe.   

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

You have to feel sorry for all four of them, but why did the other three try it?   Especially after the man on the left side is gagging, and the other woman tries it anyway?   The smartest one is the man in the brown coat who didn't even try it.  Poor Amber "It burns!".   Tell me someone at the network refused to post the recipe.   

There's a 4-years later follow up!

Leslie is not allowed to cook anymore. 😆

• LOL 9

I hope the colleague was OK, I don't think the 'pudding' was actually that, I bet it wasn't cooked enough.   Leslie shouldn't be allowed to cook anything. 

Since Leslie kept pouring water into the cake batter, instead of around the pan to keep it steaming, she watered down the cake batter, turning it into thick soup.   The colleague who ate that was risking food poisoning from raw dough. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't think the original recipe was the problem so much as the demented substitutions she did! 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

"How are they gonna get enough material?" That absolutely slayed me. 😆

When he said that all I could think of was "The Soup". Judging from their commentary on Lochte's show, yeah, that's a very valid question indeed :p. 

I also loved his take on, "I'm a man at night...." XD. 

That "4 Years Later" clip from Global News was hysterical, too. "Ohhhhhhhh, shoot..." had me rolling, but then the whole thing with the "ten degree degrees", and the hemorrhoid pillow, and the guy's off-screen commentary/reactions to everything.... oh, my god, I was in tears. Those clips make me wish I lived in Canada so I could watch that news crew every day. 

• Love 4

SHe used olives with pits in it?   That's ridiculous, but at least she warned them about the pits.   She never did say what kind of cheese she used. Her substitutions are a mistake, sun dried tomato is not the same as roasted peppers.     She should never be allowed to cook anything ever again.   

(I was sad to read that she stepped back from her news job to fight cancer.  I'm wishing her the best.)  From what I've read, former co-workers says she's just the same on and off camera and a great person.   

I wonder in the awful dip, if she used marinated artichoke hearts?  That would have vinegar and all kinds of spices that don't belong in the spinach/artichoke dip. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She should never be allowed to cook anything ever again. 

Thankfully for everyone around her, it seems she does not cook, only for segments like this where it's required, and warns everyone ahead of time something went wrong.  She can't/won't follow a recipe, and knows jack all about how flavors work together, so her substitutions are all wrong.  She's a kitchen disaster I can't really wrap my mind around, but she owns it.

I love her repeatedly saying there's no vinegar in the artichoke dip people can barely choke down because of the overwhelming acidity, vinegar being all they taste  ("It burns" 😄) -- because she didn't specifically add vinegar herself, but it never occurs to her to think about what the canned/jarred artichoke hearts she used were kept in (and she undoubtedly poured all the liquid right on in with them).

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4