Type keyword(s) to search

Gut-Busters: TV's Funniest Moments

• Start Topic

On 7/14/2016 at 11:45 AM, Luckylyn said:

Community - Annie saves Troy and Abed

That episode is what sold me on Community.  I watched the first few eps the first season and thought it was stupid and didn't pay attention again, until I watched this episode.  I laughed so hard that I went back and watched all of Season 1.  I still laugh watching this scene.  Basically Troy crying is comedy gold.

i also Troy screaming.  This scene is fantastic pay off made funnier because of the rest of the scenes that precede it:

• Love 3

Every time I laughed really hard at any Community episode, it was because of Troy. In the Halloween zombie episode, a cat keeps jumping out at Troy, he screams, "is somebody THROWING IT?"

• Love 10

I'm not prone to use hyperbole, but I honestly think Remedial Chaos Theory is one of the best half hours of television I've ever seen.  Troy's faces at the end are brilliant.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've stopped watching The Big Bang Theory because it wasn't much fun for me anymore, but the first few seasons had some of the funniest stuff I'd seen on tv in a long time.  These are just a few:

Penny is the new neighbor and Sheldon can't deal with how messy her apartment is, so he takes it upon himself to clean it:

Even funnier is the next day, when she confronts him:

The first Christmas episode.  Sheldon (who is very uncomfortable with physical contact) discovers that Penny has purchased gifts and has no clue what to get her.  So, he gets her a variety of gift baskets in differnt sizes from different stores.  He says that after he opens her gift , he'll fake "digestive distress" and run back and get what he thinks is the appropriate basket to match what she gives him:

Sheldon at the DMV for his learner's permit:

The more I think of the show, the more clips I think of.  I may me back.... :)

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Every time I laughed really hard at any Community episode, it was because of Troy. In the Halloween zombie episode, a cat keeps jumping out at Troy, he screams, "is somebody THROWING IT?"

Community -  The cat scene is hilarious.  It's so random.  I love that the cat is more disturbing than the freaking zombies after them.

Community - Troy crying is always funny

Community-  We're in a chase

Community - That's racist

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 5
(edited)

I love these moments from Designing Women: 

One of my favorite Whose Line moments

My favorite moment of The Golden Girls:

I loved this clip of Madeline Kahn on the show "Cosby"(yes I know he's horrible but I still love Madeline)

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

I loved this clip of Madeline Kahn on the show "Cosby"(yes I know he's horrible but I still love Madeline)

Contrast this to Lily Von Schtupp and you see Madeline Kahn's incredible range when singing from her organs. 

• Love 2
(edited)

That cat scene from Community made me spit out my coffee.  I've heard good things about the show and want to try it out.  I just have to wait and hope that it comes out on Netflix or Amazon Prime sometime soon. 

Edited by Shannon L.

My son just started Malcom in the Middle again from the beginning. It's been so long since we've seen it and Brian Cranston has done so many serious, dramatic roles, that I'd forgotten how funny he is.  Here, Malcom has asked him to teach him to roller skate and this is his first lesson:

• Love 8

There are so many Fresh Prince episodes to choose from, but the one where Will and Carlton wind up becoming strippers to get back Viv's jewelry that they pawned really cracks me up, especially when Phil finds out:

"DO I LOOK LIKE A WHITE GUY NAMED WARD?!!" LMAO!

• Love 4

I started watching the series The Sixties last night on Netflix and the first episode was about tv and how it changed during the decade.  I'm too young to remember most of it, so I was surprised at the comedies that tackled such controversial issues.  Laugh-In for one.  I don't know that I could sit through an entire show of nothing but jokes (as opposed to skits that ran a few minutes long), but I was amused at what they showed.  I was shocked, yet still laughed out loud, when they showed a young black artist (Sammy Davis, Jr.? I forget now), standing there, when a KKK member, in full white robe and hood, comes out, taps him on the shoulder and hands him a pen and paper for an autograph.  Wow. 

They also interviewed Carol Burnett and she said that Tim Conway lived for cracking up Harvey Korman and that back stage, there were running bets--not on whether or not Harvey would laugh, but on how long it would take for him to start laughing.  They showed clips of the dentist skit and Tim swears that Harvey wet himself trying not to laugh too hard. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 9

Jackie having to make a phone call, to tell a family member that her dad was dead. The other person was practically deaf. 

On 7/10/2016 at 11:15 PM, Luckylyn said:

Roseanne - Jackie attempts to inform a relative of her father's death.

Oh, how did I miss this, right there at the beginning? 

• Love 1

I never got into Everybody Loves Raymond, but somehow wound up watching the Thanksgiving episode in which Debra's seemingly happy parents are outed as being at each others' throats and about to enter marriage counseling.  I happened upon that episode today, and cracked up all over again.  Robert's "Sweet bastard, I'm getting happy" as he knocks back another drink and watches the drama unfold made me laugh so hard the cat jumped off my lap.  I also love when Debra's mom is complaining about her husband and Marie says, "I feel so close to you right now."

And then there's the physical comedy when Debra drops the turkey:

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So many good memories. 

Frasier's farce episodes always did it for me.  Episodes like Ham Radio, The Ski Lodge and The Two Mrs. Cranes were my favorite types of episodes the show did.  The creators were theater people who really knew how to stack the jokes, lies and misunderstandings to keep upping the hilarity. 

The Two Mrs. Cranes has a long sequence that you can start here:  http://dai.ly/x3r49fh?start=546.  Or even a little sooner as the whole episode is there.  Daphne tells her ex-fiance, who has come to woo her, that she's married to Niles (who is actually separated from his wife, Maris.)  As more characters enter the scene, new stories are invented to keep up the charade.  

But the scene I hold in most comic affection from Frasier is the "hot and foamy scene" from the "Are You Being Served" episode where Niles & Frasier find their scientist mother's journal talking about Niles & Frasier's personalities.  It spurs Niles to take action and sign his divorce paper.

I'll embed what's on YouTube, but I think it works a little better when begun about  a minute earlier which you can see here.

And the outakes from the scene here:

• Love 9

I just realized that these are all comedies (understandably), but dramas can have funny moments, too.  For some reason The West Wing popped into my head.  There are a ton of great moments in it that include, but not limited to:

• CJ having to chose which turkey the President will pardon.  That one lives it's life on a beautiful farm and the other gets served for dinner.  She can't handle that, so she asks President Bartlett to pardon the other one, as well, after the ceremony has been finished for a while.  Which opens a fun discussion about how he can't really pardon a turkey.
  • Josh, the deputy chief of staff, getting into a crazy political conversation on some online message board that he found that was dedicated to him.  They went a little crazy and he kept digging himself into a deeper hole with them.  Then CJ has to tell him to knock it off in her own, amusing way. Rumor has it that Sorkin based these scenes on TWOP threads.
  • Josh taking over the press briefing after CJ has emergency root canal and thinking that it's ok to be sarcastic with the press by jokingly stating that the president has a secret plan to fight inflation.  They didn't like being treated like idiots, so they ran with it. Then, he has to inform the president that the press is now expecting to hear about this secret plan soon.
  • President Bartlett calling the Butterball Hotline.
  • Sam realizing that he accidentally slept with a prostitute (she didn't charge him), then announcing it to someone who he didn't know was the Chief of Staff's daughter.

and so on, and so on, and so on........

• Love 9

Drew  Carey's safety video.

The set-up:  Drew, Oswald, & Lewis are pranking each other.  Kate decides to get in the "action", and takes Drew's safety video that he presents to the Board for his promotion to make a funny video for his party.  Unfortunately, Drew gets the wrong tape to take to the Board....

• Love 1

There's a Community scene in season two about conspiracy theories. And this particular scene is not only hilarious, but brilliantly written. It unfortunately comes in four different parts on Youtube; I wish it could just have one full version:

Unfortunately, I don't have the best sense of humour, especially when it comes to any television comedies, but Community always makes me laugh, and this particular scene has to be the best scene I've seen on any comedy. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 6
On 9/17/2016 at 8:07 PM, Shannon L. said:

Josh, the deputy chief of staff, getting into a crazy political conversation on some online message board that he found that was dedicated to him.  They went a little crazy and he kept digging himself into a deeper hole with them.  Then CJ has to tell him to knock it off in her own, amusing way. Rumor has it that Sorkin based these scenes on TWOP threads

No rumor, it's true. I think it was still Mighty Big TV back then, but Sorkin used to post in the West Wing forum. So did Rob Lowe, IIRC. There was a kerfuffle over the writing credit of an episode that won an Emmy (Sorkin claimed he wrote the episode on his own; the writer pointed out this couldn't be true), and some of the posters dared to criticize Sorkin. They also dared in a later season to criticize his work. That's where the lemonlyman.com storyline came from.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2016 at 8:07 PM, Shannon L. said:

Sam realizing that he accidentally slept with a prostitute (she didn't charge him), then announcing it to someone who he didn't know was the Chief of Staff's daughter.

"Accidentally? Did you fall or something?"

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

The Good Place - Janet's Murder

The Good Place - Janet and Jason's Wedding

OMG, thanks! I never watched this show and now I'm binge-watching all episodes. It's great!

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugly Betty had a million funny moments, but one in season three really caught me off guard (mainly because that season was so bad). Hilda is confronted by her boyfriend's Ex and they start comparing themselves to ice cream.

The Ex starts by saying "Archie loves him some vanilla ice cream". Hilda, being Latina, calls herself "Caramel Surprise". The Ex, bluntly and hilariously, fires back: "what's the surprise - your fat ass?"

I die every time.

I'm not saying it's highbrow, mind you, but the timing is perfect.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

ALF had a ton of funny moments. My favorite one was the first episode with Kate's mother (Anne Meara) coming to visit. Kate and Willie discover, to their horror and chagrin, ALF has been hiding out under their bed for the past several days. When they start pounding on the mattress to drive him out, ALF yells, "Yeah, go for it, Willie!!!" ????

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Two jokes from Sanford & Son always crack me up:

• Fred's fiance pressures him to marry her. He breaks the news to his son Lamont who says "Something smells rotten about this," to which Fred says "You smell something rotten, you better go wash your mustache!" 
  • Fred, to his arch-enemy/sister-in-law Esther "You so ugly, we could stick your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies!"
  • Love 3

As awful as the Charlottesville tragedy was, there is at least some humor to cope with it. Case in point: The Breakfast Club, the daily radio show hosted by DJ Envy, Angela Yee & Charlamagne Tha God. CtG has a segment called "Donkey Of the Day," where he puts someone on blast for saying and/or doing something stupid and this episode is about Christopher Caldwell, the neo-nazi who defended the killing of activist Heather Heyer, but when he was caught bragging about his crimes, he held himself a video pity party where he cried like the pathetic little bitch he is, which CtG rightfully called him out on. Here it is:

Donkey Of the Day

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1
On 8/18/2017 at 8:27 PM, spaceytraci1208 said:

Two jokes from Sanford & Son always crack me up:

Oh man, the mention of Sanford and Son made me think of the bit where Jack helps Tracy through his therapy on 30 Rock.

• Love 7
On 8/19/2017 at 9:12 PM, DearEvette said:

Oh man, the mention of Sanford and Son made me think of the bit where Jack helps Tracy through his therapy on 30 Rock.

Always cracks me up. Jack pulls out every racial stereotype in the book-- yet I don't find it offensive. Maybe because the therapist was being the voice of reason and calling Jack on it, but Tracy was eating it up. 

• Love 3

Just finished binge watching Brooklyn Nine Nine. It doesn't top Community as one of my favourite sitcoms ever, but it's in the top five now for me.

So many solid moments, but one of my favourites is a Christmas episode, where the lead character, Jake, is chasing down a criminal he's been hunting for his entire career, only to have it go both successfully and hilariously wrong at the same time.

• Love 2