Type keyword(s) to search

Gut-Busters: TV's Funniest Moments

• Start Topic

(edited)

A thread for talking about those seriously, all-out, pants-peeingly funny moments on TV.

---------------------------

I've been catching up on all the MythBusters episodes that I've missed, and tonight they were testing the speed and distance that sneezes can achieve.

Jamie: "When Adam sneezes, we need to see how far the stuff that comes out of his nose travels, and so to do that I'm going to add this cherry flavored red kids drink mix to the snuff that he inhales, and when he sneezes hopefully we'll see little red dots on this lovely strip of white paper."

Adam: (snorts snuff/kool-aid) "Oh...ah...oh...it's irritating...and sweet and fruity!"

At that point I started laughing, and could not stop. Everything they did after that for the rest of the segment just made it funnier. It's making me laugh now. My stomach hurts...

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 2

Oh my god, I don't even need to play that clip to do the whole thing in my head (or perform it for my bewildered cat).  "Dad's dead!  ... DAD!  ... DEAD!  ... He's fine, he sends his love."  One of the funniest moments in the show's history, and that's saying something because there are a lot to choose from.  I bust a gut every time.

Same with Murphy Brown, when Frank and Murphy think their plane is going down and Frank desperately tries to come up with good last words to record for posterity.  Their imaginary funeral is pretty damn funny, too ("I wouldn't be got dead in a dickie!  And there I am!  Dead!  In a dickie!" and Frank's ashes being sucked up with a DustBuster), but those moments on the plane are what really get me going. 

Also the episode when Murphy goes into labor, with Jim looking at the contraction monitor and saying, "Oh good lord, she's going to blow" and, especially, Miles diving underneath her as if to catch the baby when she has a strong contraction while walking.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

From Barney Miller in season 3: Nick Yemana and all the rest of the detectives get stoned on hash that was unknowingly included in brownies that Wojo's girlfriend baked and that Wojo brought in earlier (Barney is the only one who doesn't eat any, and as such, he doesn't get high). 

Edited by bmasters9
Why Barney doesn't get high
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also the episode when Murphy goes into labor, with Jim looking at the contraction monitor and saying, "Oh good lord, she's going to blow" and, especially, Miles diving underneath her as if to catch the baby when she has a strong contraction while walking.

That whole episode was hilarious.  She asked her colleague (Frank?) to bring a few items from home to the hospital and he shows up with leopard panties and a stapler.  She glares at him and staples the hell out of the panties.

But nothing beats "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

I could list a whole host of moments from Friends here, but "PI-VOT" and the entire fake Chandler/Phoebe seduction scenes make me laugh out loud just thinking about them:

And a special shout out to David Schwimmer trying to get his leather pants back on, because it is truly one of the best bits of physical comedy I've ever seen on TV: 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
typo
  • Love 15
(edited)

Community - Annie saves Troy and Abed

Scrubs -  Hooch is crazy

How I Met Your Mother - The group finds out the mysterious reason Robin has for avoiding the mall

Mary Tyler Moore - Clown funeral

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 7

I could list a whole host of moments from Friends here, but "PI-VOT" and the entire fake Chandler/Phoebe seduction scenes make me laugh out loud just thinking about them:

I was never a real fan of "Friends," but the show did have some funny moments. I remember one of the early episodes with Aisha Tyler (the honorary black friend), who was visiting Manhattan and said she want to go to the Met. And Joey (I think it was Joey) was like, "No, the Mets suck. You want to see the Yankees." 

The Golden Girls was chock-full of gut-busting moments. I'll have to think about some of my favorites and post them here. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, topanga said:

The Golden Girls was chock-full of gut-busting moments. I'll have to think about some of my favorites and post them here. 

How could I forget the Golden Girls??  "Don't tell Rose that Danny Thomas is a lesbian; it'll break her heart!" is one of my favorite moments on any tv show.  And this moment:

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Princess Sparkle said:

It's not one moment, but the "Niles getting ready for a date" scene in Three Valentines is brilliant, as is the entire radio play in Ham Radio. 

Omg...Ham Radio.  How could I have forgotten that one?  "Look out!  He's got a nug!" and "Will the ??? sisters stand back to back, please, I'm running out of bullets". I also like the opening sequence where Niles is trying to iron his pants.  Pure physical comedy and very funny. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

The Golden Girls was chock-full of gut-busting moments.

"Condoms, Rose!  Condoms, condoms, condoms" has been posted, so I will offer up The Great Herring War:

The aforementioned "Not Lebanese, Blanche, lesbian":

And Blanche meets Dr. Jonathan Newman:

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
13 hours ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

Speaking of The Golden Girls, Dorothy's birthday at Mr. Ha-Ha's Hot Dog Hacienda might be my favorite. Especially the way Dorothy says "Get bent, Ha-Ha!" 

Yes! Thanks for those clips. I could watch The Golden Girls all day. 

Ross playing the bagpipes on Friends. Jennifer Aniston trying not to laugh always kills me.

Great scene. I love the outtake where everyone cracked up, even Lisa Kudrow and David Schwimmer.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Ross playing the bagpipes on Friends. Jennifer Aniston trying not to laugh always kills me.

I don't know what's funnier to me - Jennifer Aniston trying not to laugh, Ross looking so pleased with himself, or that Phoebe "knows" the song and just yells "EHHHHHHHH"

• Love 4
(edited)

I love that one!  "Le Grille??  WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??"  The Simpsons has so many good moments, but I have to say this is probably the one I quote most often:

I also have to throw these couple of SNL moments in here (I can think of a million more, these were just the few that came to mind first):

Typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

Sam Waterston doing the commercial for the robot insurance.  "When the robots come, they eat old people!"  My kids always make sure to tell me that on my birthday.

And I love that radio play on Frasier!

• Love 6
(edited)

I meant to mention this one earlier, but I forgot (too many funny tv moments swirling in my head!) - so while The Sopranos will never be classified as on official comedy, Christopher's intervention is still one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen. I don't know what makes me laugh harder - Paulie, Benny, and Furio's faces when Adriana says "You can no longer function as a man", Tony not being able to let go of the dog because "he knows what it's like to lose a pet", Sil's prepared statement that he can't deviate from (it's all in the delivery), or that Benny and Furio don't even look remotely interested until they can start punching Christopher. 

Added link
  • Love 1
(edited)

A funny bit of physical comedy when Marie and Frank tell the kids they're moving to a retirement community and Ray tries to emulate Robert's reaction.

Edited by lordonia
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Boy Meets World -  the whole subplot of Eric trying and failing to get revenge on Topanga is comedy gold

Boy Meets World - Plays with Squirrels

Living Single - Regine's new look. 

I also wanted to share Khadijah's hilarious reaction to Max and Regine getting into a fight and breaking Khadijah's figurine, the one when Sinclair realizes what "bought the farm" means,  and the one where Max sings "All By Myself" and Khadijah goes overboard pretending to like it but couldn't find those clips.

• Love 6
(edited)

Designing Women is another show filled with moments that have me cracking up every time I see them.  I can't find Bernice's sanity hearing in its entirety, but here's Mary Jo demonstrating how to get dressed while massively pregnant:

Nor can I find a clip of the scene in the It's a Wonderful Life episode, where Charlene recounts her disastrous business meeting.  She's just back to work after maternity leave, and severely sleep-deprived.  When Mary Jo asks her how it went, she reports that she nodded off and the client had to wake her up - apparently, she was snoring.  Then she looked down and discovered she had breast milk spots on her blouse, and was so humiliated she started crying.  So she jumped up, put on her coat (which has baby puke on it) - and fell flat on her face in the reception area, because she'd put her pantyhose on so twisted she'd been walking like John Wayne all day.  This caused her purse to come open, spilling baby suppositories everywhere.  "There I was, on my hands and knees, wet, sobbing, mascara running down my face, my pantyhose twisted, trying to gather up all these little white firecrackers. Two of the secretaries had to lift me off the floor and help me to my car. Or maybe they were throwing me out. I don't know. I never looked back."

It's something that would probably have been too outlandish to watch, but just sitting there hearing it told - with Jean Smart's great delivery - makes it hilarious.

And the women discuss plus-size clothing, giving Suzanne some terrific lines:

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Those are great Designing Women clips, but The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia was the best IMO:

I think it was a great show, but Frasier was a little better.  Dixie Carter's delivery was a little forced, but I loved Delta Burke in everything she ever did.

Kelsey Grammer pulled this type of delivery off a little better.

• Love 9
(edited)

From The Bob Newhart Show: Thanksgiving episode in the fourth season (1975-76) called "Over The River and Through The Woods" (official Shout! Factory clip)

Edited by bmasters9
Attribution
  • Love 3
On 7/11/2016 at 7:15 AM, Haleth said:

But nothing beats "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I thought we really needs a video link for this one. First thing to pop into my head when I saw this thread.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Parks and Recreation - Everybody pants now!

Parks and Recreation - Snake Juice

Parks and Recreation -  Chris is sick

Parks and Recreation - The Clazones Betrayed Me

Parks and Recreation - Piggy back rides

• Love 7

I like the Parks and Rec scene during Leslie's election where the whole gang is walking out onto an ice rink and the song "Get on Your Feet" starts and stops. It always makes me crack up. I need to look up which episode that is.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I like the Parks and Rec scene during Leslie's election where the whole gang is walking out onto an ice rink and the song "Get on Your Feet" starts and stops. It always makes me crack up. I need to look up which episode that is.

• Love 6

My favorite funniest scene, which to this day still makes me laugh out loud when I think about it, is the episode of Taxi where Rev. Jim was taking the test for a license. he asks out loud " what does a yellow light mean?" and Bobby replies, " slow down". Rev. Jim says "ok..whaaaat doooooes a yelllllow lighhhhht mea." reply: slow down! Frustrated he tries one more time..dragging this sentence out so long you could knit a pair of socks by the time he was done "wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaatttttt doooooooooesssssss a yelllllllllowwwwwwww lightttttttttttt mmmmmmmmeannnnnnnnn?" im laughing so hard its hard to type

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Happy Belly said:

My favorite funniest scene, which to this day still makes me laugh out loud when I think about it, is the episode of Taxi where Rev. Jim was taking the test for a license. he asks out loud " what does a yellow light mean?" and Bobby replies, " slow down". Rev. Jim says "ok..whaaaat doooooes a yelllllow lighhhhht mea." reply: slow down! Frustrated he tries one more time..dragging this sentence out so long you could knit a pair of socks by the time he was done "wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaatttttt doooooooooesssssss a yelllllllllowwwwwwww lightttttttttttt mmmmmmmmeannnnnnnnn?" im laughing so hard its hard to type

Had to add it for you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On July 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM, atomationage said:

Those are great Designing Women clips, but The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia was the best IMO.

"And that, Marjorie, just so you will know, and your children will someday know, is the night.  The lights. Went out.  In GEORGIA."  

Hall of fame stuff right there.  Another great one from Designing Women was Mary Jo from the episode "Julia Gets Her Head Stuck in a Fence."  Mary Jo:  "Yo, Governor, got out head stuck in a fence.  Can't get it out.  And Miss Betts won't give us a saw."

And that Friends clip with Ross and the bagpipes kills me every time.  Between Phoebe "singing" and Jennifer Aniston trying, and failing, not to lose it, I never not find it hysterical.  This scene is also one of my all time faves.  The way she confidently and obliviously just throws the phone in the ice bucket is the capper.

Schweddy Balls from SNL is a holiday staple in my family.  Again, never not funny.  "Tell us about your balls, Pete."  

• Love 5
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Shannon L. said:

I guess this is an outtake, but I could have sworn it made the show without Vicki Lawrence swearing at him  :)

I was going to post this, as the only thing funnier IMO is WKRP's turkey drop.

But I do believe Vickie did swear.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4