Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: Alicia D

• Start Topic

Recovery Facility Director says,  "You need to stop enabling Alicia and let her go out there and be self-sufficient."  Everyone agrees!

Umm, okay, that sounds great, except they let her drop out of high school (and move in with a cokehead almost twice her age) because, hey, she was going to work in the family business anyway, so who cares about a high school diploma?

How is she ever going to be able to "go out there and be self-sufficient"?  According to the placards, they're planning to nestle her right back into the family fold.

It seems that most of the people who achieve a good recovery settle someplace fresh and don't immediately have to deal with all the old leftover resentments and wariness and so forth.

Maybe she can work on her GED at the sober living house.  I feel a little nervous about her return to Einstein's Cooling and Heating, Sewers and Drain Cleaning.

• Love 4

Wow, that was one of the biggest transformations I've seen so far on Intervention (both physical and personality)! I agree with the above poster about feeling nervous regarding her going back to the family business. She constantly used there and was always high there. It seems like it could be a major trigger for her to relapse. I really hope she can stay sober though because she seemed so happy and full of life. 

• Love 4
(edited)

OMG those naaaaaaaaaaails.... Also, "Giner and Alicier" -- this west coaster is never going to "get" the tri-state area culture and language.

Edited by AuntTora
  • Love 6

She did not become addicted to Xanex and Heroin until after a car crash at age 25.  She met her biological father at age 16.   I'd blame her parents for allowing her to drop out of school and move in with the cokehead just as much as blaming the biological father.   Why didn't they get her help in school at an earlier age since she struggled, maybe she wouldn't have dropped out of school then.  

She needs to grow up more.  She's 29, did not become addicted to drugs until age 25.  I know drugs freeze your emotional age, but she acts 15.   I bet Mom and Dad took care of her from the time she dropped out of high school until she went to rehab.

• Love 4

From the recap:

I've kicked this up a point for her nod-out on the plane, which is the hardest-core pre-hab nap I can recall a subject taking.

Uh-oh.  I couldn't copy the screenshot, but this is me, on any plane.  I'm in a coma from the second my seatbelt clicks until the landing jolt wakes me up.

Sometimes I find a little bag of peanuts in my lap.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

She did not become addicted to Xanex and Heroin until after a car crash at age 25.  She met her biological father at age 16.   I'd blame her parents for allowing her to drop out of school and move in with the cokehead just as much as blaming the biological father.   Why didn't they get her help in school at an earlier age since she struggled, maybe she wouldn't have dropped out of school then.  

She needs to grow up more.  She's 29, did not become addicted to drugs until age 25.  I know drugs freeze your emotional age, but she acts 15.   I bet Mom and Dad took care of her from the time she dropped out of high school until she went to rehab.

I think it's pretty clear that the parents, although they love her, are just not the brightest crayons in the box themselves.  Whether it's lack of smarts or just that they were so extremely young when they started, they failed her so many times.  There seemed to be a LOT of other issues in the background that were not addressed at all during the show. The uncle strongly hinted that they were passing over important background.  My guess is that there is a whole lot more about the bio-dad and older boyfriend, and also probably Grandma, that got put aside for the show for whatever reason.  I do hope Alicia makes it, but her chances would be greatly improved if she stayed far, far away from that family dynamic.  At least she's accepting extended help, which is a really good sign, I think. 

• Love 4

I'm glad I can come here and find out what happened on the show and then read the snark.  I'm struggling to stay clean, so Intervention is off-limits for me (too many triggers).  Anyway, thanks, friends!  BTW, those nails are AWFUL!

• Love 17

Agreed there were some things glossed over that we will never know and agree that her chances of recovery are so much better if she does not go home again. Love hearing JVV  saying "these people love you like crazy, but are afraid they are losing you, they want to fight to  keep you and are asking you to join the fight. " I always feel bad for the businesses that get their merchandise stolen by junkies. Does anyone repay these places? She had a lot of hair product. Guess she was a good shop lifter.

• Love 1
(edited)

In an otherwise depressing episode, I giggled for a moment at Alicia nodding off over the blank paper that the family gave her to let her think she was working.

Maybe her parents spoiled her because they felt guilty she was from a failed relationship. I wonder if her half-siblings will resent her sliding back into a relatively cushy existence when she returns home.

Maybe Cookie is one of those insane hysterical narcissists who make everything about them and wreak havoc everywhere they go. Gina said Cookie left town because of the episode being produced - either "it's not about me so I'm leaving" or "holy crap I'm gonna get called out so I better vamoose."

Alicia looked fantastic during rehab.

Farmgal4: we're rootin' for ya. We love ya like crazy!

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was shocked at her shoftlifting hauls! I wonder how many times she has been arrested and her parents have bailed her out of jail.

The "Alishhhhher" pronunciation of her name cracked me up.  

Plumbing is a lucrative business, I know. Alicia's family is fortunate that her addiction has not financially crippled them like so many other families. How many other heroin addicts get to drive a hummer, have freshly manicured hands and hair coloring, and new wardrobes every few months? 

It was both tragic and funny when she was "reading" the blank papers. I wonder why they didn't unplug her desk phone or substitute in one of these: 

Fisher-Price-Chatter-Telephone--pTRU1-2789219dt.jpg

ETA: What kind of sketchy beauty salon buys her stolen items?????

ETA more: Someone needs to take a comb to the back of Jeff's hair. I get worried about him when he looks unkempt.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, PityFree said:

ETA: What kind of sketchy beauty salon buys her stolen items?????

The same kind of salon that would produce those god-awful nails she had.

• Love 7

Alicia, don't go home to that mess. If indeed you're good at office management, you can probably get a job somewhere else with a GED and years of experience. Move to Florida. Lots of Staten Island girls, lots of people in recovery, and good and far away from your family.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2016 at 3:59 PM, Canada said:

The same kind of salon that would produce those god-awful nails she had.

A lot of times its not the salon's that buy. Its sold to clients.  Lots of small shops don't have "exclusive" products so they don't care. You can also buy tube socks, videos, jewelry and other odds and ends.

You can also buy tube socks, videos, jewelry and other odds and ends.

How odd.  Maybe its' an urban thing. Central Illinois salons just sell hair products, purchased from their normal suppliers.   Now, people who run 1 or 2 chair 'salons' out of their spare room might do this, but brick and mortar salons don't.  I am continually amazed at the business savvy some of these addicts show.  If they weren't addicts, they'd be pretty successful people. 

Selling shoplifted items is not difficult. When I was using, a friend of mine used to shoplift cartons of cigarettes. He took a whole assortment to bars and sold them for  $1 a pack. The bars didn’t care, and the patrons were happy to save the money. He also had regulars, primarily mechanics at garages around town. He boosted their preferred brands and delivered them on his bike.  He worked his ass off. Never believe that junkies are lazy. They're just...creative.