Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Walcott Prep

Pilcher recalls finding his Chosen One. Then, as the Abbies close in, Jason makes a fatal judgment call and Theo and Xander must put aside their differences to stop him before the human race is lost.

Ahhhh Carie is Jason's mom!!!! WTF!!!! I'm completely grossed out, thank God they couldn't have children!!! I couldn't wait until the end of the episode to express my disgust... I just can't with this show right now.. Why??!??!??!!?

23 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Ok, so if the Abbies can cauterize a wound, why the hell don't they have language? Or, are we to assume that they are telepathic?  And Pilcher has another hairstyle? 

I'm pretty sure they're telepathic... And idk maybe there is something with their vocal chords? Maybe they can't produce sound in that way? Knowing this show tho it's probably not that complicated lol

• Love 5
(edited)

Oddly no voiceover during the previouslies. And we get Chicago, Illinois.

And we see Pilcher and some woman discussing a teenage girl named Abigail at a fancy boarding school -- and Pilcher's hair is receding. What happened to the full head of hair he had when he got out of cryo ?  That's what this show was missing -- even more of Jason's backstory.  We already had a Jason episode.  FFS !!

Kerry is fascinated by the fact that Margaret might be dying outside the fence.

Theo visits Xander at McGonigles to discuss overthrowing Jason -- and Xander is on board.  When all of a sudden CJ pulls up because Jason wants to see him in the mountain.

Jason states that they have food for a month, and no medicines -- he really is a shitty, shitty leader.

And with the Abbies still massed outside the fence, he thinks they can defeat them.  And Jason determines that they should all go back into the cryo.  

Spoiler

I think one of the writer's may have gotten off their ass and actually read the last couple of pages of the original trilogy of books

Wait a minute -- this pregnant teenager is Jason's mother.

Margaret's not dead -- that's surprising, and somehow the Abbies after only recently discovering fire are now cauterizing wounds.  How in the fuck does that happen ?

Jason -- dressed up as Tom Hanks in the Green Mile -- addresses the WP community and tells them they are going back in the pods.  People are a little panicky but CJ settles them down.  Then CJ explains to the WP students who have never known the cryo about how the volcanic sand and sulphuric gas just "turn them off" by killing all the bacteria.

Yeah, that seems like some pretty hokey made up bullshit.  Just killing all the bacteria won't preserve you like that.

CJ detects a problem with the cryo pods and notifies Jason.

We get more CJ and Pilcher pre-cryo -- and Pilcher gets a call that Abigail has lost the baby.  Apparently now dead Jason was the perfect baby.  How ?  Did Pilcher genetically design dead Jason ?

Apparently, they have been draining the core reactor (the 2000+ year old core reactor) by running the fence and powering the town, and now they can only save 500 or so people.  Aren't there anymore people still in cryo who have never been released like Theo ?  There has to be more people still in cryo.

Theo thinks they need to have a lottery while Jason wants genetic screening -- in order to fill the 500+ working pods.  Theo makes a point that "defectives" who can't reproduce shouldn't be included -- to make Jason choose not to take Kerry.

Kerry walks in on Jason and Theo -- and it's a little awkward.  Theo tells Kerry about the pod problem, but she is in denial.  Then he tells her that Jason isn't taking defectives, and then lies that he couldn't convince Jason otherwise.  And she needs to take Jason out.  But Kerry isn't swayed so easy.

If they only have one month supply of food now, that means they will only have a one month supply of food when they get out from the cryo.

Jason and Rebecca discuss the plans for the town after they emerge from cryo for the 2nd time.  And Jason brings up the fact that Rebecca is pregnant in a creepy way.

Cut to Pilcher staring over a nursery in a Boise, Idaho hospital -- because he wants a baby now.  And will donate whatever it takes to get him.  But first, the mother wants to meet Pilcher.

And the mother of the baby that Pilcher is buying is ....... Kerry.  WTF ?  So Jason has been banging his mom ??  If Jason wasn't fucked up before, wait until he finds out that little tidbit of info.  But the ages don't add up -- Kerry would have been a teen when they got out of cryo when Jason was an infant.  I think the writers are just pulling stuff out of their collective asses -- even moreso than normal.

I know that they have said that Kerry wasn't true First Generation, but this is ridiculous.

Why is Pilcher in such a rush -- it looks like it's Xmas at the hospital, and the mountain was closed up in April ? 

Kerry and Pilcher smalltalk, but Kerry indicates that she has been abused by all the men in her life.  And Kerry indicates that she will use the money Pilcher will pay her for to travel around the world.  Turns out Kerry is well read.

And wants new memories to replace the shitty ones she has.

Considering this is the penultimate episode of Season 2, there certainly is a lot of filler.

As Jason is going though personnel files (they never did explain why they used reverse years in the files), and Jason discovers a secret file that has Kerry's info and Jason discovers that Kerry is his mom.  And he gets a little freaked.

Kerry shows up in Pilcher's office -- he explains that he can only take half, and do it in secret.

I still find it hard to believe that in the 17 years since coming out of the cryo -- no one has painted the walls in Pilcher's office.

Jason starts going on about secrets.  And they struggle -- Kerry gets in some good whacks (I cheered a little each time Jason was hit), until the camera gets all out of focus and you hear the sound of a gun cocking as they continue to struggle as a single gun shot rings out.   Please, please, please let it be Jason -- but who's kidding who, it's going to be Kerry.

Kerry had no idea that she has been banging her son -- since Pilcher told her the baby went to Texas.

And we are back to Pilcher putting Kerry in the cryo -- and Kerry replaced Abigail.    It would have been nice to find out why Abigail was so perfect -- did Pilcher get her pregnant intentionally ?  Who was the father -- Pilcher ?

Cut to more hangings by the carousel as Jason goes through personnel files -- and singles out Kerry to revive from cryo as his new girlfriend.  And then Jason greets Kerry after she awakes from cryo.  This all happened after the events of Season 1.

But hasn't Kerry been prattling on about how she is a First Generation -- but she never ever was.

And we get a clever fade out as we find that the gun shot both of them -- and they die side by side.  Or do they.  And their blood streams down the streets of miniature WP in Pilcher's office.

And we end the episode with people lining up outside the entrance to the mountain, waiting for their turn to go into cryo.

Margaret finally wakes up and telepathically signals her minions to get ready for attack.

Is Jason finally dead ?  I certainly hope so.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
Corrected some details about the Pilcher flashback at the start of the episode
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Why not power down the city to power more pods since they are leaving (going into cryogenic) for a long time?

Logic like that is not allowed on this show. I don't even get how the power works? Weren't there people still frozen? They had tons of people still frozen at the end of last season, and managed to keep them alive while still powering the fence and the whole town. But I guess a magical 2000 year old power source must have to end some time.

During that scene with Pilcher and Kerry, I kept thinking how awful it is that she never got to do any of those things because Pilcher put her in cryo suspension or whatever. Pilcher claimed to be saving humanity, but he really just robbed people of doing what they wanted.  Kerry could have lived a full life before the world ended. And there would have been no risk of incest.

So no one else knew who Jason's mom was. Shouldn't he have at least told that sister of his so if something ever happened to him she could make sure Jason didn't end up sleeping with her. It really wasn't so far fetched that it could have happened, she would be a teenager when she came out and they encourage teenagers to have lots of sex. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Why not power down the city to power more pods since they are leaving (going into cryogenic) for a long time?

Too logical and to force this situation on them.

• Love 2

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Wayward Pines!  Did you just do what I think you did?!  Kerry was totally Jason's mom this entire time?!  You've lost your damn mind, Wayward Pines!  Did Pilcher do all this on purpose or was it just random that Jason happen to select his mom as the girl he most wanted to bone, when he was looking at those binders of women (how Mitt Romney of you, Jason...)

So, anyway, Jason and Kerry get into a big-ass fight thanks to that reveal combined with Theo planting seeds of doubt in Kerry about Jason letting her go back into stasis (nice one, Theo!), and the gun goes off.  It was hard to tell, but it looked like it was Jason that was actually shot, right?  Both looked beaten up, but Kerry seem to be much more lively then he was.  I wonder if this is it for the world's most incompetent leader.

The big drama now is that they don't have enough power to power up all the stasis pods, so over half of the town will not get a spot.  Really?  You're telling me there isn't some places in this stupid town that they could power down or take from, in order to get all the pods back?  Seriously, Pilcher had no game plan.  No game plan, at all.

At leat Margot seems to have recovered and the Abbies are gearing back up for war.  Team Abbies!

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

The big drama now is that they don't have enough power to power up all the stasis pods, so over half of the town will not get a spot.  Really?  You're telling me there isn't some places in this stupid town that they could power down or take from, in order to get all the pods back?

Starting with that damn carousel. 

• Love 12

I hate to allow for logic into this mess of a show, but didn't CJ say the pods took time to fully charge up?   I don't know...I barely listen.  So maybe there's no time to get them ready, even if they power down everything else?  

Meanwhile, Oedipus Jason might finally be out of our misery, so yay for that.

• Love 1

I can't believe the show went there. No, I take that back, I DO believe they went there, because this an awful show, so why not throw incest in there too? Ugh. One more episode then hopefully this show is done forever! Abbies rule!

• Love 5

Why do people call this a boring mess and an awful show yet watch it?  It's kind of a mess but an entertaining one or else why would we watch it and be here commenting on it?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Wayward Pines!  Did you just do what I think you did?!  Kerry was totally Jason's mom this entire time?!  You've lost your damn mind, Wayward Pines!  Did Pilcher do all this on purpose or was it just random that Jason happen to select his mom as the girl he most wanted to bone, when he was looking at those binders of women (how Mitt Romney of you, Jason...)

It was after Pilcher was gone, and Jason took his place.  He was leafing through his Romney like binders of women while they were cutting down someone hanged by the good old First Generationers.

I've always thought that Kerry and Jason looked something alike, but thought they were trying to make the point that they were in synch.  

ottoDBusDriver:

I still find it hard to believe that in the 17 years since coming out of the cryo -- no one has painted the walls in Pilcher's office.

I know!  Every scene in Pilcher's office, I'm fascinated by the walls.

And way to be a man and solve  problems yourself, Theo.  He grabs the gun, marches in and signs up Xander for the revolution, and proceeds to try to trick Kerry into taking out Jason.

If only Arlene had been the mom..... 

• Love 2

Why do people call this a boring mess and an awful show yet watch it?  It's kind of a mess but an entertaining one or else why would we watch it and be here commenting on it?

Sometimes we get sucked into watching a show that started off pretty good, then went downhill fast, but we (or I) feel compelled to watch to see how it ends. And sometimes, it's more fun to post about the show than it is to actually watch the show. :-)

• Love 9

The incest thing was super over-the-top ... and that's how I like my Wayward Pines. So, good on you, show. 

The food shortage and power shortage appear to be contrived for a needed crisis. After season one, it doesn't seem to follow, logically. Oops, I forgot that logic is forbidden in WP. 

Besides the icky-ness, the thing that stood out for me this episode was the camera work, especially during the scene where Theo was confronting Jason in Pilcher's office - - the close-up angles and lighting of the actors' faces was very unflattering. Was that intentional? 

• Love 2

I finally got to see this....area had a power outage and DVR didn't catch it. Really ramped up the crazy but I had to hand it to the actors who play Kerry and Jason....I thought they did an excellent job. More depth than I had expected. 

2 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

They should have named the episode "How I Met My Mother".

That's awesome and hilarious! When Jason unholstered his weapon after reading the file I thought he would blow his own brains out.

• Love 4

Pilcher originally chose Abigail because she was the perfect birth mother --  smart, rich, prep school, blue blood, knocked up by her Harvard boyfriend .I don't think, though, he had any plans to put her in cryo along with the baby.

At the end while lying on the floor Jason says to Kerry  "Walcott Prep trained you well" There was a nano second scene earlier where Pilcher replaced Abigail's picture in the file with Kerry's so that.all of Abigail's accomplishments at Walcott Prep became Kerry's.  That's why Jason chose her originally -- she was the perfect girlfriend for the person Jason thought he was -- raised by Pilcher and Pam to believe he was the best of the best, The Chosen One..  

The irony was that Kerry was actually the perfect birth mother for Pilcher's plans -- except for the small rural town, dysfunctional family, rape victim part.

• Love 3
On 7/21/2016 at 0:52 PM, Laurie4H said:

That's the fun part!

• Love 3
On 7/21/2016 at 11:12 AM, meep.meep said:

He grabs the gun, marches in and signs up Xander for the revolution,

I got this odd, Good/Bad/Ugly vibe from that scene, fully expecting the "Ay ya ay ya ay ya" from the soundtrack.  But that would have been too obvious.

Wait a minute.  A mom named Abigail, a crowd of Abbies outside the fence? I smell conspiracy.  And who's to say that the Abbies are intent on destroying WP?  After what Margaret has seen and communicated with her tribe, they might just say "The hell with them, let's head to Boise and hang out until they're finished with each other."

And the crowd grows at the entrance to the mountain.  Soon, teenagers are setting up tents, portable stoves, etc.  And inside the mountain, Jason and his council listen to a recently unfrozen, wizened old Nazi in a wheelchair ramble on about breeding and slauuuughtering animals, and a female/male ratio of 10 to 1 for breeding purposes...

• Love 1

When Jason is examining Kerry's regular file, her birth date is Feb. 2000, and we know from CJ's flashback that the mountain was closed up on New Year's Eve 2014 (which still doesn't explain why CJ woke up on April 19 every 20 years).

According to the super secret file, Jason was born on Aug. 23, 2013 (which doesn't explain why Pilcher was in such a rush or why the hospital was decorated like it was Xmas time) which doing the math means that Kerry was all of 13 years old in her flash back with Pilcher (after she had given birth), but does that make sense if that data was the data from the original Abigail.  But why would they make up fake data for a super secret file ?  Plus, Kerry seemed a little too worldly for a 13 year old (which also means she became pregnant when she was 12).

Which in turn means that Jason would have been all of 15 years old and yet somehow a senior at WPA by the end of S1 -- and at least a year had to go by before the scene where he was selecting her file folder (since they had sufficient time to rebuild WP, and put up Pilcher's statue).

The date math is most certainly does not add up, but Jason looked much older at the end of Season 1.

I know it's TV and all, but it still makes no sense that Margaret kept that hospital gown on.  That would have been the first thing to go since NONE of the other Abbies have clothes on (which makes you wonder what they do during the winter since they have no hair).

There's still no explanation why they switched from the black/dark blue uniforms in the flashback to the brownshirt uniforms in present day.

• Love 4
On 7/21/2016 at 7:01 PM, Iwunderu said:

This drival is leaps and bounds better than Containment  and my husband and I saw it through...

That's not exactly a high bar when comparing to a show that went absolutely nowhere for 13 episodes.

On 7/21/2016 at 5:57 PM, preeya said:

All that to make Jason the MotherFucker of Wayward Pines

On 7/21/2016 at 5:45 PM, mertensia said:

I did not see that twist coming. Nope nope nope.

That said, I hope he is dead as a doornail. 

I hope so too, what an awful character and that's saying a lot with this bland cast.

• Love 1
On 7/20/2016 at 6:16 PM, riverheightsnancy said:

Ok, so if the Abbies can cauterize a wound, why the hell don't they have language? Or, are we to assume that they are telepathic?  And Pilcher has another hairstyle? 

I don't think they're telepathic; I think they communicate via chemical signatures, sort of...ant-style.

On 7/20/2016 at 8:12 PM, KaveDweller said:

So no one else knew who Jason's mom was. Shouldn't he have at least told that sister of his so if something ever happened to him she could make sure Jason didn't end up sleeping with her. It really wasn't so far fetched that it could have happened, she would be a teenager when she came out and they encourage teenagers to have lots of sex. 

My theory is Pilcher has a plan (mostly) of when to defreeze who. If this was his big secrety secret, he probably just intended to not bring Kerry out until Jason were much much older, reducing the likelihood. But since he was dead, and apparently didn't have any backup verygoodfakereason she shouldn't be woken up at a conveniently same age as Jason, oops. Forget it, Jake, it's Wayward Town.

10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

When Jason is examining Kerry's regular file, her birth date is Feb. 2000, and we know from CJ's flashback that the mountain was closed up on New Year's Eve 2014 (which still doesn't explain why CJ woke up on April 19 every 20 years).

According to the super secret file, Jason was born on Aug. 23, 2013 (which doesn't explain why Pilcher was in such a rush or why the hospital was decorated like it was Xmas time) which doing the math means that Kerry was all of 13 years old in her flash back with Pilcher (after she had given birth), but does that make sense if that data was the data from the original Abigail.  But why would they make up fake data for a super secret file ?  Plus, Kerry seemed a little too worldly for a 13 year old (which also means she became pregnant when she was 12).

I'm confused and I don't have it recorded to check again but the timeline seems all wonky to me. I thought part of the difference between Kerry's secret file and her real file was her birthday, and her birthday was different than Abigail's. Although, flashbackwise, they should've been damn close in age. So methinks they forgot when they closed up shop in the mountain.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

There were 3 "Pilcher-only" file folders in that box of file folders Jason was rummaging through -- one was David Clarke (whoever the hell that is ?), one was Kerry Campbell, and one unknown.

David Clarke from Revenge?! Now it all makes sense! That show also had a revolving set of writers that increasingly f'ed up the show with more ludicrous storylines. I gave up on that show when "dead" David Clarke returned--maybe he was in cryo all those years while his daughter was plotting vengeance. But I wouldn't be surprised if this show also got some of those terrible writers, and this is an Easter egg that, haha, we fucked up this show that also has such great potential just like we did to the other one.

But I almost feel that Pilcher DID want Kerry to be the "First Lady of the First Generation." But maybe that would be contingent on whether Pilcher was still alive at that point, and I guess not because Jason was in the office and it was his idea to pull her out of cryo. But why give Kerry the perfect pedigree binder? I suppose Pilcher just wanted anyone who saw that to think that he truly did choose the ultimate human specimen to take over WP. But then why the hell put in writing "for Pilcher's eyes only" the secret that he obviously was the one to write down if he didn't want anyone else to see it?! I mean, I guess it was just a plot contrivance, but they could have had Jason "do the math" with Abigail's write up and leave it at that. 

The name of Abigail as the intended mother to carry on humanity and overtake the Abbies does seem a bit heavy-handed as to what's the true genetic aberration here. Obviously for 1,000 people to repopulate the world, there will be some inter-breeding, which would lead to some genetic abnormalities. But, wow, I didn't expect them to go there that directly! Or, maybe Abigail/Abbies was supposed to align with Margaret also being named after a person, as just a point that they're not that different.

So the Abbies just learned about fire and then harnessed it to burn down the crops. However now they suddenly know how to use fire to cauterize wounds? They also used leaves to protect the wounds, but that could be something they've always done. The cauterization is out of place for supposedly only just discovering fire. Does this mean that just being by around Theo Margaret was able to absorb all of his medical knowledge? If so, then that means they would also know everything that all of the people they were around know, too, and humanity is screwed.

• Love 3

Somehow, I found this episode more tolerable than the others. I don't know why. It might just be that I'm a sucker for the oldies so playing "it's the end of the world" over the various montages felt very effective. 

But here's a question. Why do they even need pods? Can't we safely presume the mountain itself is sufficient protection against an abbie attack? After all, they were in there for 2,000 years before a wall was even built. Is it because they only have a month's worth of food left? If that's the case won't that still be the case after they wake up in another 2,000 years? Seems like they're doomed at this point no matter what.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Somehow, I found this episode more tolerable than the others. I don't know why. It might just be that I'm a sucker for the oldies so playing "it's the end of the world" over the various montages felt very effective. 

But here's a question. Why do they even need pods? Can't we safely presume the mountain itself is sufficient protection against an abbie attack? After all, they were in there for 2,000 years before a wall was even built. Is it because they only have a month's worth of food left? If that's the case won't that still be the case after they wake up in another 2,000 years? Seems like they're doomed at this point no matter what.

Maybe they are hoping while they are asleep food will magically start to grow all around them? That seemed to be Pilcher's original strategy. 

• Love 2

Does the helicopter not work anymore?  

• If the pilcher helicopter is still working then I'd grab 4 men armed with ARs/ M4s, grenades, and big rocks ( lol) and fly over the Abbies and just kill them. Doesn't seem like there's more than a couple thousand max ( if even that). 
  • How about grab a couple of Abbies, infect them with small pox or measles or even something more deadly and release them back to the heard. Kill em slowly. 
  • Grab some Abbies and strap some c4 or explosives ( cut off their hands so they can't tear off the suicide vests) and send them back. 

Or or better yet, use all three strategies. 

• Love 2
On 7/20/2016 at 7:04 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Apparently, they have been draining the core reactor (the 2000+ year old core reactor) by running the fence and powering the town, and now they can only save 500 or so people.  Aren't there anymore people still in cryo who have never been released like Theo ?  There has to be more people still in cryo.

Nope, it appears that the geniuses running WP decided that the doctor should be the last one they thaw.

On 7/24/2016 at 10:36 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

There's still no explanation why they switched from the black/dark blue uniforms in the flashback to the brownshirt uniforms in present day.

Pilcher decided it was more important to pack two styles of uniforms instead of vitamins and medicine.

On 7/25/2016 at 9:56 AM, JenE4 said:

So the Abbies just learned about fire and then harnessed it to burn down the crops. However now they suddenly know how to use fire to cauterize wounds? They also used leaves to protect the wounds, but that could be something they've always done. The cauterization is out of place for supposedly only just discovering fire. Does this mean that just being by around Theo Margaret was able to absorb all of his medical knowledge? If so, then that means they would also know everything that all of the people they were around know, too, and humanity is screwed.

Given what we have seen of Margret's intelligence, I am guessing that the Abbies have understood fire and how to make it for centuries, but the people of WP think Abbies didn't know about fire until now. Pilcher and Jason were so positive that Abbies were like animals that it never occurred to them that the Abbies might be putting those opposable thumbs to use.

• Love 1

Can someone please explain to me what was going on with Abigail and her baby?  I always suspected that Pilcher engineered humanity's evolution to justify Wayward Pines, and I wonder if Abigail had something to do with that.  From my recollection, the baby and mother were fine per the phone call, so what gives?  Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention.

3 hours ago, DesertCyclist said:

Can someone please explain to me what was going on with Abigail and her baby?  I always suspected that Pilcher engineered humanity's evolution to justify Wayward Pines, and I wonder if Abigail had something to do with that.  From my recollection, the baby and mother were fine per the phone call, so what gives?  Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention.

What I got from Pilcher's phone call inside the mountain when he was talking with CJ is that Abigail's baby had somehow died -- because Pilcher says (to whoever the caller is on the other end of the line) is "when" like some sort of event suddenly occurred and that Pilcher is "glad she is ok", and to "please give my best regards to Abigail and her parents" which implies a sudden loss.  Maybe a car accident or some pregnancy complication, it's never made clear, but it sounds like this "perfect baby" was suddenly (and permanently) no longer available.

I'm even more impressed that Pilcher had such wonderful cell phone coverage deep inside a hollowed mountain.  :)

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, iMonrey said:

Are you watching the show?  The Abbies climb over each other to get over the wall.  There aren't mountains all around the city.  And there were in a heavily sealed room for the two thousands years.   Which is where they are going now.

Their food is depleted and they tried to grow more, but the Abbies destroyed it.   Plus, they don't think they have enough weapons to stop the Abbie onslaught that is amassing.  

The plan:  Go to sleep and come out sometime in the future when the Abbies are hopefully gone.