Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Guilty Pleasures Dinner

• Start Topic

On 7/11/2016 at 7:41 PM, backformore said:

From the interview with Erin on the FN site:

Makes me wonder which are the eight, and which are the 5

Well in her other comments she says Damiano is funny without trying, Jernard is quiet but wise, Rob is daring, and Jernard and Joy have the best recipes and should win because they are deserving.  So that's probably 4 of the eight.  I assume she considers herself genuine, so that's 5. Tregaye and Ana were conspicuously not mentioned, despite how much time she spent with them. So it's easy to believe they're in the non-genuine 5.

So the other 6 are the mystery: Havird, Melissa, Aaron, Martita, Yaku, and Monterey. And half of them I couldn't pick out of a lineup, so who knows?

Enjoying everyone's comments.

Nothing to add to the observations about the lame contestants.  But just had to get off my chest that the cheapness of the show's aesthetic really shows this season.

When I first got hooked they went to actual places like a boardwalk, or a sports stadium, etc. and appeared to be interacting with/cooking for members of the general public - or at least not the nearest eight stagehands.  Remember when they went to the Palm Springs home of Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin or one of those rat pack guys to serve a formal dinner to a large table of critics and chefs?  Now we get Trisha Yearwood (a FN employee) and whoever else, at a table plopped inside the studio. 

Another pet peeve, and I know I am preaching to the choir - why are they challenged in ways that actual food network people are not?  There are no time limits or missing ingredients or lack of opportunity for a do-over in the filming of an actual show.  And there are helpers. 

Why not show us actual skills required of food network "stars" and building one's own "brand" instead of these fakey hyped up challenges?  It's so maddening.

• Love 3

What FNS is now is just a random premise for a game show they can grind through. Cook food + talk about food. Maybe next they'll make their own version of American Ninja Warrior where you have to carry your plated dishes through an obstacle course before serving the judges. For whatever reason Food Network just doesn't want to do Iron Chef or any pure cooking show more competitive than Chopped or Beat Bobby Flay.

• Love 9

Remember when they went to the Palm Springs home of Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin or one of those rat pack guys to serve a formal dinner to a large table of critics and chefs?  Now we get Trisha Yearwood (a FN employee) and whoever else, at a table plopped inside the studio. 

Now instead of highly respected chefs and critics we get YouTube stars that ask questions like "can octopus pancake?" or some such nonsense.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

Now instead of highly respected chefs and critics we get YouTube stars that ask questions like "can octopus pancake?" or some such nonsense.

Can Tregaye calm the fuck down? Spoiler alert: No.

• Love 11
On 7/13/2016 at 7:39 PM, Mabinogia said:

That one really had me scratching my head. When the judges are telling you, hell, if you don't know what it is, just make something up, how can I trust their shows and culinary knowledge? How do I know they aren't just faking it on their shows? That actually disgusted me. (well, for this crap show which is I was disgusted in the moment then forgot all about it because this shit just doesn't matter but it is clearly BS as evidenced by them saying that in the first place).

To be fair, if you're on live TV (or even live-to-tape) you're better off saying something rather than just standing there going "um, um, um...."  

• Love 2

Can Tregaye calm the fuck down? Spoiler alert: No.

I noticed she hit my top three phrases I really dislike, "popping", "fleek" and "Boo" in one presentation talking about the scallops.  There might even have been a "Fusion" there as well.

• Love 3

The very fact that you make them every damn day only reinforces the fact that a chocolate chip cookie is not a guilty pleasure.

EXACTLY!  They were probably fine cookies, they just didn't fit the challenge nor what she promised.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2016 at 0:21 AM, HappyDancex2 said:

Fascinating.  I see it now.  That's weird.  Tregaye definitely has comedic timing..that's what I actually enjoy about her.  Bobby and LBH's over the top reactions to her just make me wonder if IRL she really is so comedic you know?  We see dumb little edits but they are almost howling with laughter.  They cannot be this obtuse can they?

I also agree on Erin...if anything it could also be the same editing...up until this time it's been coached snark and rainbows with sparkles.  Out of nowwhere (to us) she implodes.

Tregaye has an engaging personality and they always seem to rave about her food. Whereas Erin is almost phony in her giggly, squeaky delivery and it was brought home when she lost it and then we saw a whole different personality emerge. Jernard is trying too hard with the love/sex talk. When someone creeps you out, you don't want to hear anything else they have to say much less try their food and his food seems to be hit or miss, too. And Ana is unbearable for me. She is super critical of the other contestants when she's often in the bottom herself and I just don't find anything about her likable. I do like Damiano, but he comes across as over the top at times too. But I would not change the channel if he were on like I would with some of the others. Of the ones who are left, he and Tregaye have the most sincere presentations and the most likable personalities. And don't forget, it seems to take forever once someone has won before you actually see their program on the network. I think they have plenty of time to plan and get the routine down. I'd be less interested in the kind of food Tregaye prepares, but I think she is natural and spontaneous and cute on camera. Damiano I would watch because I love looking at and eating desserts. And he can be charming.  

• Love 1
On July 11, 2016 at 7:41 PM, backformore said:

From the interview with Erin on the FN site:

Makes me wonder which are the eight, and which are the 5

And I wonder of I'd pick the same 8 and 5. Someone needs to cue the "I'm not here to make friends" video. 

So glad to say buh bye to Betty Boop though, for me, it was a close call with Gerrard.

And the fleekin' popper is so tiring I can't imagine one half hour with her.

I'm liking Ana and her food (in spite of her app choices which though heavy sounded really tasty) but am remembering Dom and worry Gaahda might prevail and even should Dam lose he will be brought back like Dom. Damn.

Oh, and the lipsticks! I usually watch this on my tablet but this week saw the colors in 40" HD glory. Wow! Awful! Especially fleek's purple. It practically vibrates. But she's not the only one making bad choices. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/11/2016 at 0:20 AM, candall said:

I feel the need to shove her in the shower with a deep leave-in conditioner and a jar of apricot scrub--I sense she might be pretty, underneath there.

This is what bothers me about Ana's appearance.  She just looks dirty;  like she woke up, didn't shower or even wash her face and just caked on another layer over yesterday's makeup.  I did this a time or two way back in my hard partying days where we'd stay out all night and go straight from the bar to work, but Ana looks like this every day.

Jernard and his shtick nauseates me.  Neither he, nor his food turns me on.  The only way I'd be making whoopee after eating that deep fried mess is if it were laced with Rohypnal.

From his interactions with other contestants, Damiano is too arrogant and impatient for my taste.

I cannot stand Tregayne and her poppin' fleek nonsense, fluorescent lipstick, ugly, sloppy clothes and above all, snotty personality.

Glad Erin is gone.  All I could see was Duff Goldman in drag.

Boy, I don't like any of these people, do I?  Sad, because I used to enjoy this show--at least until the last couple of seasons--and it's the only FN show I watch, period.

Edited by Mocking Bird
  • Love 7
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:13 PM, Court said:

Jernard's presentation was over the top. However, that's exactly what the judges have been praising him for and asking him to do more of.

I had the same thought that you did, because Bobby and Giada have been laughing at all his "love chef" antics, and if Jennard doesn't mention his 9 kids than Bobby will. But in my book that sill doesn't let Jennard off the hook. He's a grown-up, he should know where the limits are. Grinding his hips and saying that after they eat his food there might be another baby? Meaning that either Alex or Trisha was going to have sex with him? In any office situation that would get you fired for sexual harassment. I can't believe that Alex didn't say more, because on Chopped I've seen her shoot down male contestants for saying something even mildly sexist.

I though that based on that ludicrous presentation and an unsuccessful dish Jennard should've been sent home. But this show is all about entertainment value, and TBTB obviously consider him entertaining, offensive or not.

Tregaye might pop and fleek herself to an FN show, but it's one I'd never watch. I wonder what the demographics are for FN, male vs. female. Because I think that some women might enjoy Tregaye's "hey girlfriend" shtick, but I can't imagine any man watching her show. Hopefully they are setting her up as the big favorite so there will be a twist ending where she doesn't win. In addition to her annoying delivery, I've never though she was likeable. Her THs are often snarky, mean, and condescending. And now that judges' praise has her all full of herself, it's gotten worse.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7
On July 10, 2016 at 10:07 PM, Court said:

I think Erin went home over Jenard because she argued with the judges instead of accepting the criticism. Jenard did the opposite.

I still don't care if they were worse than Ana. Ana is consistently in the bottom. She should have gone weeks ago and I want her off my TV. 

Worse yet, Erin didn't even understand the criticism.  She took it as meaning that her "cookie"  (really?  that's a cookie?) wasn't good, when the point was that it was not chocolate/decadent enough.  And in her last TH, she still did not seem to have absorbed that.  

• Love 5

Imho, that was not a cookie. I know cookie, I love cookie, that was not a cookie. And it looked dry. 

Surprised she didn't try to blame Dam for his embellishments. That would have freaked me out. Get your hands off my plate! 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, lh25 said:

I noticed she hit my top three phrases I really dislike, "popping", "fleek" and "Boo" in one presentation talking about the scallops.  There might even have been a "Fusion" there as well.

How many times can I like this post?  Who would really watch a show with an adult using these phrases all the time?  She seems like a nice person who can cook, but I don't know why they think this language would be appealing to a demographic. 

Sorry, didn't read all the posts. Someone had already touched on this.  I would also have a hard time watching Jenard. He just seems sleepy to me all the time.  It is unfortunate that they have made Ana seems so unlikeable because I think with some practice she could have a great show. I suppose Tregaye could as well, if they could remove all the "extra."  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Oh, and the lipsticks! I usually watch this on my tablet but this week saw the colors in 40" HD glory. Wow! Awful! Especially fleek's purple. It practically vibrates. But she's not the only one making bad choices. 

I agree.   Red lipstick looks OK on a lot of people.  If not, then pink, coral, or one of the thousands of lip colors that are sort of pinky-brown.  But fluorescent lilac, or whatever the hell that color is?  Both Tregaye and Ana wore it, and it's pretty damn awful. 

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

How many times can I like this post?  Who would really watch a show with an adult using these phrases all the time?  She seems like a nice person who can cook, but I don't know why they think this language would be appealing to a demographic. 

Makes me think that the prize for winning is a cooking show, but not on actual TV, more like on the Food Network YouTube channel. 

• Love 4
On July 11, 2016 at 11:39 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Absolutely.

Let me say that I like both Trisha Yearwood's & Garth Brooks' (her current husband's) music (though I do find it odd that he tends to call her "Miss Yearwood", as opposed to "Trisha", when talking about her in a public forum, like interviews or social media type videos, etc.); I even like, & watch, her Food Network show when I find it on the TV schedule. But I agree with the assessment she's not an "innocent country girl", which the quoted poster was responding to. Especially not since Garth is her third husband (& TY his second wife), & talk (that I've heard) is that they were in love with each other, & romantically involved with each other despite being married to others at the time, long before they finally married. Just saying. As long as Garth, his ex, & their daughters are happy with it, though, I do like that she claims Garth & Sandy Brooks' daughters as though they're her own since she & Garth married.

I also have to say Damiano complaining about what he has to make in a challenge, or anything else, is nothing new. He did the same thing about themes, ingredients, etc., when he was on The Holiday Baking Championship (& I bitched about it... [laughs]). Really, he's been in the US at least 2 years (as long as I think they've said he & his brother have had their LA-area bakery), he should be familiar with a lot of US-centric, as opposed to Italian-centric, cooking/baking methods, etc., by now. I think his "stereotype" is just "the crotchety foreign-born baker/pastry chef too set in his ways to bake in the ways of his new homeland than his birthplace."

• Love 1

I couldn't stand Erin's happy happy elf crap on Holiday Baking Championship and couldn't stand it here.  I was glad she went home.

Fleek is about the most annoying word ever.  "The Kids" think it is too, so IDKWTF she is thinking.  Shut. Up.

At this point I don't care who wins, but as someone that loves to make dessert it would be nice for Dom to win just to get a show on there that's maybe pastry oriented.  

(edited)

I thought "On Fleek"  was one of those phrases that hit and then fizzled.  People said it for a month or two, and then after that, it was only said ironically. 

I also heard that it either originated or was made popular by a youtube makeup vlogger to describe perfect eyebrows. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2