Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: I’ve Seen the Other Side of You

On 7/15/2016 at 11:25 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I never noticed last season but to borrow a phrase from George Costanza from 'Seinfeld', Five seems more ... bosomy ... in her space christmas sweater this episode than she did in S1.

Actually I noticed it last season when she was being held hostage by the group of mercenaries that the Raza crew were working with.  Thankfully the actress is in her twenties so I feel less pervy.

On 7/16/2016 at 10:46 AM, aquarian1 said:

I can't believe none of them wanted their old memories back.  I can't imagine not knowing the majority of my life and being OK with that.  Plus, they know that with their history they have a lot of folks after them, and even excluding those not actively going after them still have a lot of enemies.  But without their memories they are apparently OK being blindsided by them all since they don't remember them.  They literally won't know an enemy even if they literally slap them in the face.  That's just stupid.  And I think it's BS that they'd revert back to their old selves.  They only did that here because they didn't have the recent memories, but if they keep these memories and restore the old it would be different.  The might not be who they are now, but they definitely wouldn't be who they were then either.  I think at least one of them should have taken the memory fix.

I can buy that they wouldn't want their memories back under those circumstances.  If I were told that there is a chance I could lose my current persona then I'd pass as well.  To me, wiping out your personality is akin to death.

I don't know.  I still can't get past being OK with not remembering any of your life except the last few months.  That, to me, would be freaky.  More so than knowing I had less than stellar character/"morals".

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I don't know.  I still can't get past being OK with not remembering any of your life except the last few months.  That, to me, would be freaky.  More so than knowing I had less than stellar character/"morals".

I don't think any of them are okay with not knowing.  There have been episodes devoted to them trying to retrieve their memories.  They've also acted on information about their pasts so it's clear they do want to remember.  It's just that gaining the memories through the nanite reboot (or whatever it is) comes with the possibility of losing their current personas.  Not everyone would be willing to pay that price.  I know I wouldn't.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 3

I don't think that's right.  It's not the method of getting the memories back that'll revert them.  It's having them at all.  Our experiences shape us, remembering those, with all the feelings and emotions and all that, is what they fear changing them.  It's becoming yourself again, rather than learning what you did, but not really feeling it.  Experiencing things and having a memory from that is different than just knowing you did something, with all the experiential impacts removed.  So gaining info on their pasts is not the same.  "I saw what you were like with them..."  again, to my first post, not really.  We were shown what they were like with only those memories.  And yes, it's only been a short while with new experiences and memories, but that will have an impact.  Also, like I said before, I'd be fine if only one of them wanted their memories back, or if there was a big debate.  But NONE of them wanting to know anything?  That doesn't seem right.  If you've ever had a memory gap (black out, head trauma, etc), even for a short time, it is very unnerving.  20+ years??  dear lord, I can't even imagine!

All that said, I do think they will come into play.  Otherwise why bring it up at all?  I just hope it's not too far out.  

• Love 3
On 15/7/2016 at 10:25 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I never noticed last season but to borrow a phrase from George Costanza from 'Seinfeld', Five seems more ... bosomy ... in her space christmas sweater this episode than she did in S1.

I noticed too and it merits a note to the wardrobe department: When you dress a 21 year-old woman in baggy sweaters so she’s not too sexy while playing a 16 year-old girl, the effect is lost when you don’t issue her a proper bra for scenes that involve running.

Leaving the ogling aspect aside for a minute... I am man and even I know doing that shit has got to hurt for a woman as well endowed as her.

When Three tells Five she's overreacting at the end of the episode, I wanted Five to say, "You were going to sell me into slavery." Because they weren't getting it. The Android's "actually, she has a point..." speech just did not have the same emotional impact.

Also, this episode seemed like a missed opportunity for Five to say "I miss One" or something to that effect. I never cared for One, but even I couldn't help noticing that if he'd been aboard, Five would not have been so alone and frightened. Heck, even if One's original personality had somehow been restored like all the rest, he would never have hurt Five. He would have woken up as Derrick Moss -- confused and disoriented, but still determinedly against being unkind to scared sixteen-year-olds.

• Love 3
(edited)
On July 17, 2016 at 4:40 PM, lordonia said:

The writers did pass up the opportunity to have the reset reveal a heretofore unknown romantic/sexual pairing. Which could only be Two/Four at this point,* but that would have added an interesting dynamic.

*Given that the crew all seem to be heterosexual, which I don't think is something that could be "forgotten."

Two/Four in this episode was the first time I saw Two have actual believable sexual chemistry with a guy and I think it was completely unintentional

Edited by Oracle42

I haven't noticed any chemistry there, at all. And neither between Four and Nyx (and they were definitely trying to play that up), or that chick who I assumed was his ex. Four reads as mostly asexual to me. Or maybe gay, I dunno. He just doesn't seem interested in women he interacts with.

I'm 100% fine there is no romantic stuff going on. If there has to be, well, go with Five and the doctor. At least it would sorta be a shout out to Kaylee/Simon. I also thought Three was somewhat crushing on Two at the end of s1 and the premiere, but it was so low key that I might have been mistaken.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, FurryFury said:

I haven't noticed any chemistry there, at all. And neither between Four and Nyx (and they were definitely trying to play that up), or that chick who I assumed was his ex. Four reads as mostly asexual to me. Or maybe gay, I dunno. He just doesn't seem interested in women he interacts with.

I'm 100% fine there is no romantic stuff going on. If there has to be, well, go with Five and the doctor. At least it would sorta be a shout out to Kaylee/Simon. I also thought Three was somewhat crushing on Two at the end of s1 and the premiere, but it was so low key that I might have been mistaken.

I feel no chemistry between Two and Four, but I definitely felt chemistry between Evil!Portia and Evil!Ryo in that bedroom scene. Or to put it more specifically: I got the impression that before the memory wipe, they were much closer than I imagined, both being cold, powerful intellects. It seemed like Evil!Portia would have considered Evil!Ryo as close to a mental and physical equal, and vice versa (though the pecking order was still clear: Portia was the boss). I don't think there was anything romantic between them because neither of them would have tolerated that in their lives. But "no strings attached" sex? Yep. Plausible.

• Love 2
(edited)

The same way Two slept with Three in s1? I dunno, I mean that's possible but I don't really want for her to become the female character everybody else is lusting after (a la Dutch in Killjoys).

Edited by FurryFury
Just now, FurryFury said:

The same way Two slept with Three in s1? I dunno, I mean that's possible but I don't really want for her two become the female character everybody else is lusting after (a la Dutch in Killjoys).

I can agree with that, mostly because I'm still haunted by the poorly executed One/Two/Three love triangle in season one. But now for the first time, I got a glimpse of what it might look like if I felt actual chemistry between Two and another character, and I gotta say, it was interesting.

• Love 1

I also thought there was some chemistry between pre-memory-swipe Two and Four. But since the love sex-triangle between One/Two/Three was one of the weakest plots of season 1 I'm quite happy for Two to stay single for a while. But since shows always think the audience wants romance let's go with some puppy-love between Five and Devon - if we really must.

• Love 2
On 16/07/2016 at 4:46 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

This episode was OK, but for the most part, it had that feeling of needing to cross off another sci-fi trope with this episode

Me too. I felt like I was back in the Season 1 sci-fi trope checklist.