Type keyword(s) to search

Once And For All: Were Friends's Ross And Rachel On A Break?

Ross doesn't almost sleep with Phoebe when he found out Carol was a lesbian. That as an Alternate Universe episode.This was the same episode where Rachel and Chandler made out, and they clearly would not do that to Ross. Monica is irrelevant since this was years before the London hook-up.

On the topic, neither Ross and Rachel were right in what they did. But to answer the question, they were broken up.

Edited by kinnej5
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

Ross doesn't almost sleep with Phoebe when he found out Carol was a lesbian. That as an Alternate Universe episode.This was the same episode where Rachel and Chandler made out, and they clearly would not do that to Ross.

That's not an Alternate Universe episode, it was prequel episode, taking place one year before the pilot episode. Rachel and Chandler making out was a fantasy of Rachel's so that part didn't actually happen, but Ross and Phoebe getting heavy on the pool table did.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I thought I remember it as a " what could have been " episode .. but didn't actually happen 

I think it's the way it's setup that causes a bit of confusion. Janice asks the group if any of them had ever almost hooked up, so a sort of "what might have happened premise", and when it comes back from the title it goes into the flashback. Other than the Rachel fantasy bit at the end, I think it's supposed to have actually happened. Although it sort of doesn't fit with the other flashback episodes that neither Rachel nor Chandler recognize the other one.

Edited by Nellise

Yeah, that whole Rachel and Chandler premise really ruins it because we're supposed to have established (even by then but not as clear as in season five and ten) that they already met through Ross and Monica. Like Jaclyn said, I see it as a "what could have been" episode. I don't see that any of it really happened. Also, weren't Ross and Phoebe meeting for the first time in the series premiere? I can't remember, I don't begin my binge-watch (been a few years, though) until around the time Phoebe volunteers to be a surrogate for her brother.

20 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

Ross doesn't almost sleep with Phoebe when he found out Carol was a lesbian. That as an Alternate Universe episode.This was the same episode where Rachel and Chandler made out, and they clearly would not do that to Ross. Monica is irrelevant since this was years before the London hook-up.

Janice asked if anyone in the group ever almost slept together, which leads to a flashback. Ross and Phoebe almost slept together. Monica and Joey were attracted to each other. Chandler and Rachel were as well...sort of, but she’s engaged to Barry. The end has her fantasize about kissing Chandler. It’s in “The One with the Flashback.”

Yeah, that episode, "The One With The Flashback" was not AU. It took place about a year before the pilot. So Ross, as far as he and Phoebe went, was probably just reeling from Carol and Susan and was seeking comfort, which went further than they planned. Of course, this episode not only screws up the timeline as far as Rachel and Chandler knowing each other but also of Ben's conception. Because if Ross found out that far back, how the hell does it fit with Ben being conceived around the pilot?

23 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

Yeah, that whole Rachel and Chandler premise really ruins it because we're supposed to have established (even by then but not as clear as in season five and ten) that they already met through Ross and Monica.

College roommate and best girl friend. Just in case nobody got that part.

This was known probably in the episode where Chandler talks about Ross buying Carol a crystal duck when he fell in love with her and realized his mistake because he just implied that Ross loved Rachel. I don't think they ever truly got it figured out until season five, in that Thanksgiving episode.

I will have to watch this flashback episode, even though with the whole Rachel/Chandler and Ben's conception errors, I will definitely head-canon it as being alternate universe.

44 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

College roommate and best girl friend. Just in case nobody got that part.

This was known probably in the episode where Chandler talks about Ross buying Carol a crystal duck when he fell in love with her and realized his mistake because he just implied that Ross loved Rachel. I don't think they ever truly got it figured out until season five, in that Thanksgiving episode.

I will have to watch this flashback episode, even though with the whole Rachel/Chandler and Ben's conception errors, I will definitely head-canon it as being alternate universe.

I could be wrong (often am and it has been AGES since I saw the episode!), but when the "flashback" begins for everyone, I believe there is even text at the bottom saying 1993 or "A year ago..." or whatever. So, yeah, flashback. But making it AU for you does help those errors.  :-) Surprised TPTB never caught them, or maybe they did and just said, "Screw it!"

One thing I do clearly recall, as much as I loved the Monica/Chandler scene in her apartment, Matthew Perry looked scary thin there.  :-(  But this was Round 1 of his off screen issues, so...

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, that episode, "The One With The Flashback" was not AU. It took place about a year before the pilot. So Ross, as far as he and Phoebe went, was probably just reeling from Carol and Susan and was seeking comfort, which went further than they planned. Of course, this episode not only screws up the timeline as far as Rachel and Chandler knowing each other but also of Ben's conception. Because if Ross found out that far back, how the hell does it fit with Ben being conceived around the pilot?

There was a line later that was kind of throwaway, probably as an attempt to explain the timeline issues from the flashback episode. It was in TOW The Boob Job in season 9:

Ross: I can't help it. I love marriage.

Phoebe: Seriously? You, Divorce-o?

Ross: If you have to call me names, I prefer "Ross the Divorcer". It's just cooler. Look, I know my marriage didn't exactly work out. But I love to be that committed to another person. And Carol had some good times before she became a lesbian... and once afterward.

33 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I could be wrong (often am and it has been AGES since I saw the episode!), but when the "flashback" begins for everyone, I believe there is even text at the bottom saying 1993 or "A year ago..." or whatever. So, yeah, flashback. 

Rachel mentioned to her friends that her wedding was in a year.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Ross: If you have to call me names, I prefer "Ross the Divorcer". It's just cooler. Look, I know my marriage didn't exactly work out. But I love to be that committed to another person. And Carol had some good times before she became a lesbian... and once afterward.

Ah, I did miss that one. So, not only did Carol cheat on Ross, she also cheated on Susan.

2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Ah, I did miss that one. So, not only did Carol cheat on Ross, she also cheated on Susan.

As she was married to Ross and hadn't left him yet, Carol was just sleeping with who she was supposed to be sleeping with.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

As she was married to Ross and hadn't left him yet, Carol was just sleeping with who she was supposed to be sleeping with.

This timeline is just so screwy. So Ross knew Carol had a thing for Susan. But they stayed married for that year even with Ross knowing? He must have had zero self esteem! But thanks for clearing that up!

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

This timeline is just so screwy. So Ross knew Carol had a thing for Susan. But they stayed married for that year even with Ross knowing? He must have had zero self esteem! But thanks for clearing that up!

He did spend his entire high school years AND that entire first year of the show pining for Rachel and not having the balls to make a move. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

He did spend his entire high school years AND that entire first year of the show pining for Rachel and not having the balls to make a move. 

This is true. Maybe Ross thought Carol was the best he'd ever have. Which is just sad, but what can you do?

• Love 1
On 8/19/2018 at 8:54 PM, kinnej5 said:

Also, weren't Ross and Phoebe meeting for the first time in the series premiere?

No--Ross knew Phoebe from when she and Monica used to live together. The flashback episode also has the subplot of Phoebe slowly moving all of her stuff out in the hopes that Monica won't notice.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe Ross thought Carol was the best he'd ever have. Which is just sad, but what can you do?

Carol and Ross had that wonderful Valentine dinner; I think it was clear that there was a lot of love and friendship and respect between the two.  They even kissed.  He hoped that would be enough.

Edited by Crs97