Type keyword(s) to search

All Alone In The Media

• Start Topic

Retreads...prior cast members who want to show that they coulda, shoulda, woulda won.....seeking Redemption...

See that Mike is back...Wonder if  his beloved wife, Barbara  forced him to come back because she needed a much needed break from his smothering love and obsessive need for her...

Mike McGyvered the most useful things from his beach trash...it was the fear that Barbara was getting along TOO WELL without him that caused him to tap out...

His boat, his sink and work area, his football board game, camp, cook area were great ..his emotionally insecurity did him in, not his survival skills...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Retreads...prior cast members who want to show that they coulda, shoulda, woulda won.....seeking Redemption...

See that Mike is back...Wonder if it was his beloved wife, Barbara that forced him to come back because she needed a much needed break from his smothering love and obsessive need for her...

Mike McGyvered the most useful things from his beach trash...it was the fear that Barbara was getting along TOO WELL without him that caused him to tap out...

His boat, his sink and work area, his football board game, camp, cook area were great ..his emotionally insecurity did him in, not his survival skills...

Good lord do you remember the agonizingly boring footage of Jose toiling away at his boat contrasted to Mike who found a big bucket and was riding the waves on the S.S. Barbara in no time. Mike probably could have caught the Salmon run if he was not so obsessed with what his wife was doing.

• Love 5

Mike was one of my favorites - along w/ Alan, Callie, David (S2), Lucas, Pete/Sam,, and the woman who had MS in S2 - can’t remember her name.  

Mike had such joy “sailing” in the SS Barbara.

• Love 2

Saw a promo on Forged in Fire and it looks like, once again, we have a contestant

Spoiler

(a woman, not sure who) with a major hand injury.

And secondly, snow!  Lots of snow.  Those shelters are going to need to be well insulated.

• Love 1
(edited)

Season 5 Contestant List:

Sam Larsen – Season 1 – 55 days...mouse eater, how old is his baby now...2nd place to Alan...

Larry Roberts – Season 2 – 64 days, AKA Fuckin' Larry-potty mouth extraordinaire...2nd place...1st place loser to Pastor Dave...that stung, I bet...

Nicole Apelian – Season 2 – 57 days, herbal scientist that caught so much fish with her stationary net, left because she missed her family

Randy Champagne – Season 2 – 21 days, dropped his fire starter in his fire and it burned up...hope he makes a lash and hangs hangs his ferro rod in a special place in his shelter...every single time....

Carleigh Fairchild – Season 3 – 86 days – medically evacuated, her weight loss was too great and she was pulled by the Alone producers...giving Fowler the win

Dave Nessia – Season 3 – 73 days – medically evacuated for starving himself down to skin and bones even though he had an abundance of smoked fish...he is the one with the gnarly mouth in the above clip

Britt Ahart – Season 3 – 35 days, kelp pee tube...not long enough kelp tube....pee soaked in dirt stunk up his camp...left because he missed his son...his gift to his son was him coming back home to him...he is in the clip commenting about the bear noise

Brooke Whipple – Season 4 – 49 days, the popular soap lady

Jesse Bosdell – Season 4 – 5 days – brother was older contractor, twisted knee, Jesse was military almost finished long trek to base camp

Brad Richardson – Season 4 – 1 day – brother tapped as soon as he could on Day 1, blacksmith and probably still peeved at brother's wimpiness

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 8

I am EXCITED about this cast list. Sam, Carleigh, Brooke, Nicole, Fuckin' Larry, this is AMAZING. I'm also glad Brad has another chance, he was so gobsmacked when his brother tapped out.

• Love 5

Ah man, I hated Dave in season 3.  I was really hoping never to see him again.  The guy was seriously crazy.  I really hope he goes early.

• Love 3

Hope Carleigh mainlined double bacon cheeseburgers, milkshakes when she applied and then double fisted chocolate croissants and steak as soon as she got the green light...

She needs a 30 pound weight buffer...

• Love 5
(edited)

I like the cast, what I remember of them.  I think all 3 women were fabulous, and Carleigh in particular deserves another shot.  (This sport/hobby/lifestyle is so testosterone-heavy; I'd really like to see a woman win at least once.)  Also the 2 guys from S4 whose partners tapped before they even made it into camp.  And of course Sam and Fuckin' Larry(!), whose 2nd place finishes must be particularly galling because you know the other guy (probably) won only because you gave up just a little too soon.

I could do without Dave, who remains creepy.  I see that he still likes showing the camera his skanky teeth.  He reminds me of a prison inmate who has to show the guards he has nothing in his mouth.

One thing I seriously do not want to hear from any of these contestants is "I'm tapping because I miss my family".

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Token said:

Ah man, I hated Dave in season 3.  I was really hoping never to see him again.  The guy was seriously crazy.  I really hope he goes early.

Dave was hard to watch and rather disgusting. It was shocking that at the reunion he seemed like a good looking not insane man. I hope he keeps his weirdness toned down this time.

If Jose starts building a boat, I will throw something at my tv.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, qtpye said:

If Jose starts building a boat, I will throw something at my tv.

You scared me! I went back to make sure he was NOT on the list, LOL :) It's so sad because Jose was a favorite for me at the beginning, but then all his designs just went nowhere, literally. Brah, you're building a boat to USE, not one to put in a damn museum!

• Love 6

I like that list. I enjoyed watching most of those folks and I am thrilled that some of the people who were screwed by their partners in the last season get another go at it. I like that they chose returnees who showed good skills and experience in their first go around.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

You scared me! I went back to make sure he was NOT on the list, LOL :) It's so sad because Jose was a favorite for me at the beginning, but then all his designs just went nowhere, literally. Brah, you're building a boat to USE, not one to put in a damn museum!

Sorry about that. It must be PTSD because Jose was one of the biggest disappointments for me. I have heard he was kind of a jerk on the reunion, but do not know for sure.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2018 at 6:35 PM, qtpye said:

Dave was hard to watch and rather disgusting. It was shocking that at the reunion he seemed like a good looking not insane man. I hope he keeps his weirdness toned down this time.

Dave was incredibly difficult to watch, but I don't really blame him for that. I think he was an excellent example of how not getting enough food can literally cause mental problems. That was not a man whose brain was in touch with reality. 

• Love 5
On 5/9/2018 at 3:23 PM, humbleopinion said:

Jesse Bosdell – Season 4 – 5 days – brother was older contractor, twisted knee, Jesse was military almost finished long trek to base camp

He's my early (very early) favorite.  I remember how well he was doing, and then his 'accident prone' brother had, well, an accident.   

It'll be interesting to see Sam again.  It's been a while! 

• Love 3
On 4/27/2018 at 11:03 AM, humbleopinion said:

The “Jose face” on the website captured just as his “S.S. Waste of Time” tipped over is priceless.

God, I remember when that happened he hit the button and said something along the lines of, "I'll wait for the crew to come" and when they did he was still standing in the water. Complained on one hand that he was cold then spent however long standing around in the surf until they came to pick him up. 

• Love 3

Jose lamely standing in the water waiting for the crew to pick him up disappointed so many viewers who were deceived by his phony baloney...

His sob story of how he wanted to win for his wife who had supported him while he made no money living his dream of acquiring skills of an outdoors man... living with a shaman...

Betcha she was pissed she married a loser and a quitter...

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Jose lamely standing in the water waiting for the crew to pick him up disappointed so many viewers who were deceived by his phony baloney...

His sob story of how he wanted to win for his wife who had supported him while he made no money living his dream of acquiring skills of an outdoors man... living with a shaman...

Betcha she was pissed she married a loser and a quitter...

Also, wasn't this the season with the repeated stock film of eagle with damaged beak and the charging wolf in the previews that never appeared with a contestant? Geez, seemed that eagle was there each and every week, and I just kept waiting and waiting for a wolf/contestant encounter, and closest we got was a wolf way across the inlet. Hey, beautiful scenery of VI was great, but all the stock film just made show seem fake

OTOH, the stock film was there because the contestants weren't surrounded by a camera crew like N&A.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Here's a little behind the scenes look see

Interesting - just skimmed article so far, but do have a question... at what point in season did wild cow run amoke? Were contestants starving while cow knocked over the tent and munched on the Pringles? Oh, and serious question... what would happen if one of contestants managed to kill a wild cow? Which brings to mind another whimsical question.... in parts of US South, not only don't you need a license/permit to hunt feral hogs, you get paid by the land owner (feral hogs are very destructive, not native, dangerous, over populated, and expanding their territory). So, if they ever move Alone to the south, could contestants collect bounties for any feral hogs they kill? Actually, feral hogs would scare me more than cougar, wolf or bears. Course, truth is hog attacks are rare, just like attacks from the cougars, wolves, and bears.... but all these critter attacks are increasing as we encroach their territory and compete/destroy their resources.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Interesting - just skimmed article so far, but do have a question... at what point in season did wild cow run amoke? Were contestants starving while cow knocked over the tent and munched on the Pringles? 

That happens while they are still at base camp, undergoing training. 

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 1

Agreed, i am not interested in watching a bunch of people freeze until they starve themselves out.  I won't be watching this season.  Hopefully ratings will drop enough to illustrate to the TPTB that they are taking the show in the wrong direction but not enough to get it cancelled outright and they go back to the original survival roots next season.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2018 at 12:00 PM, humbleopinion said:

See that Mike is back...Wonder if  his beloved wife, Barbara  forced him to come back because she needed a much needed break from his smothering love and obsessive need for her...

Nope. He just couldnt figure out how to feed himself adequately, same as all the others. I've looked at the gear chosen for season 6, and the result is going to be the same, for the same reason. They dont know what to take or do, so they'll starve.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, stane said:

Nope. He just couldnt figure out how to feed himself adequately, same as all the others. I've looked at the gear chosen for season 6, and the result is going to be the same, for the same reason. They dont know what to take or do, so they'll starve.

Mike had no problem feeding himself.  He told u abt the “fish stores” he made (storing fish underground where it would stay cold), and abt different kinds of seaweed.

• Love 3
On 5/28/2019 at 4:17 AM, roamyn said:

Mike had no problem feeding himself.  He told u abt the “fish stores” he made (storing fish underground where it would stay cold), and abt different kinds of seaweed.

dunno where you got that idea, cause he was skin and bones when he left

Mike, as in crazy Mike who was pulled for weight reasons, had a whole bunch of smoked fish and fish heads saved that he had not been eating. Had he been eating them, he would not have had the same weight loss and he would not have been pulled. It was a huge mistake on his part. They flat out showed all the smoked fillets and fish heads in his shelter when they pulled him.

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Mike, as in crazy Mike who was pulled for weight reasons, had a whole bunch of smoked fish and fish heads saved that he had not been eating. Had he been eating them, he would not have had the same weight loss and he would not have been pulled. It was a huge mistake on his part. They flat out showed all the smoked fillets and fish heads in his shelter when they pulled him.

That was Dave, the crazy fish hoarder.

• Love 4

I don't remember their names, but in the team season there were 2 teenage/20s brothers from Illinois.  I think the older one was training to be a blacksmith or at least he was into making his own knives.  Anyhow, he appeared on Forged in Fire a few weeks ago, where he flamed out in the first round.  I can't wait to see what reality show he turns up on next. 

• Love 2
On 5/30/2019 at 6:30 AM, ProfCrash said:

you have the name wrong. that was Dave Nessia with the whole 5 lbs of saved fish. 🙂 He has stated that he had 13 little fillets. Taht's all it was, which is why they made him leave the show.

the mike I'm talking about is the guy who wasted all of his time and calories building a swank shelter, and then starved out so much that he had to pretend that he was missing his wife SO much that he had to quit.

• Love 1

season 6 was supposedly started in late fall of last year. Some of the entrant's gear list vids are on YT,  None of them look capable of lasting more than 2 months in the Arctic. They are all hung up on the cabin or bowhunting bs., both of which are well proven, (by now) to be disastrous wastes of time and calories. You are stuck in a 5 sq mile area, that you dont get to pick.  So the chance of your scoring big game (with just a bow) are VERY minimal and small game doesn't give you back as many calories as you gain by hunting them (with a bow). The only viable thing to do is make a lot of netting and use it optimally, catching  600 lbs of fish in 6 weeks, dipping their flesh in salt brine and smoke/drying them.  So prepped, their flesh lasts PLENTY long enough, staring in late fall, for consistently cold weather to prevent rotting.

• Love 1
On 5/31/2019 at 10:40 PM, stane said:

🙂he mike I'm talking about is the guy who wasted all of his time and calories building a swank shelter, and then starved out so much that he had to pretend that he was missing his wife SO much that he had to quit.

We probably remember Barbara's name more than Mike's 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

We probably remember Barbara's name more than Mike's 😉

I think he accidentally made out with a slug because he was dreaming of Barbara.🤢

• LOL 1
On 5/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, stane said:

I've looked at the gear chosen for season 6, and the result is going to be the same, for the same reason. They dont know what to take or do, so they'll starve.

I notice none of the contestants chose the ice spikes. I've done my share of stomping around in the snow and can think of many times where spikes would have made things easier. Do you think that's an item the contestants will regret not taking or is it a throw-away? What would you recommend them bringing?

On 6/15/2019 at 11:24 AM, GreyBunny said:

I notice none of the contestants chose the ice spikes. I've done my share of stomping around in the snow and can think of many times where spikes would have made things easier. Do you think that's an item the contestants will regret not taking or is it a throw-away? What would you recommend them bringing?

A Cold Steel shovel, modiifed to have 8" of saw edge. A modified Crunch multitool,  the 12 x12 tarp and a 2 person hammock  (cut/tear/unravel to make netting out of both) the 5 qt skillet with lid (Amazon) the big roll of duct tape, the fishing kit (big hooks, made 2 out of each one after you arrive. They have to use barbless hooks, because of carleigh's screw up last season, so I'd use the fire, a couple of hard rocks and the file on the Crunch tool to add barbs.  I'd bring a slingbow,  and probably make a hoku knife out of one of the 6 broadheads, having the other 3 heads be Swickey judoheads for small game. The small game arrows should feature Flu flu fletching and all the fletches should be waterproofed. take the snare wire and the 3 lb block of salt. Could probably improvise the ice crampons, out of bone, wood, maybe broken pieces of some of the broadheads.  I think that nobody's going to be doing much of anything once it's much below freezing temps, tho.

• Love 1
(edited)

there's  apparently few fish this season , so most of the netting will need to be shifted over into making  weir- type traps for waterfowl,   and netting-wrapped, sapling framed box traps for crabs , other birds, like magpies, pigeons, and for small mammals. The walking around hunting is a sucker's bet. Baited tree stands, snares for big game, that's all I'd bother with.  Elk, moose, caribou can be foot snared to a drag log and arrowed later.  Deer can be strangled. You have to braid 4 strands of the 20 ga wire into a cable that's capable of holding them, tho.  Because duck meat is so fatty,  and deer venison so lean,  the flesh from  20 ducks provides just as many calories as does a 100 lb deer.  The duck weirs can each catch 8-10 ducks at a time. The birds can mostly be kept alive, either tied wings and feet, or in a small pen. This removes the need to preserve their flesh, until consistently freezing weather does so for you. The birds will probably draw predators, like weasels, fox, lynx that can be arrowed or shot, too. Beware of owls, hawks  and eagles snatching your food-supply.

Birds are smarter than fish, but not all that smart.  If you've got a 3" mesh net weir,  4ft wide, 4 ft tall, 20 ft long, at each end of your waterfront, the ducks may not consider both to be a threat, until the flock loses birds at both places.  Migrating birds, or birds not being present at the catches, may still be caught later, even tho the locals avoid the traps  after the first few losses. Condition them to the trap, after baiting them to the area, by putting up only pieces of the trap at a time, and letting them eat inside of it for several days, before  firing the arrow that pulls the pins, dropping the end-doors, trapping half a dozen ducks at once.  The treblehooks,  16 of them made out of the 50 fishhooks (made out of 25 larger hooks)  can catch birds, too. Make some  2x4 ft small log rafts, cover with sod/moss/grass, and mud, 2 hooks per raft, with 3 ft of line. A 1-2 lb drowning rock tied about a foot from each rock, and the raft anchored in at least  4 ft of water. Then the audible/visible ruckus ends in 1 second flat and the underwater agony ends in 5-10 seconds.

Edited by stane
  • Love 1