Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: They Hate Us Cuz They Ain't Us

• Start Topic

On previous charters it's been obvious that uncouth people were intentionally cast for comic fodder/promotional consideration. This bunch was apparently completely scripted. It was like they were running down a treasure hunt list of obnoxious things to do/say to win a prize/earn the trip extension.

The English class system/North-South divide is very real and very damaging to both sides. Julia's low brow accent ("annova" for "another," etc) immediately marks her every bit as much as the worst Jersey Shore or Boston neighborhood accent marks somebody in the US. Except a hundred times more. HIS accent, or any teasing coming from somebody with his accent is going to trigger insecurities if she's already got them.

On the other hand, I bet Ben's distress is a result of knowing that accent or not, his posher classmates were well aware of his family origins and it mattered to them in ways he had no control over. And then now to be accused of that kind of snobbery himself would sting because he just can't win.

I am thinking Julia's "fashion line" is bedazzled t-shirts or something... Nothing wrong with it, but some posters seem to be projecting couture onto it and it seems doubtful. Lovely girl, though.

• Love 4

Accent aside, "them two" is never going to be the proper way to identify which charter guests you are talking about. I don't think Ben was somehow commenting on her accent. Her horrible grammar maybe, but I didn't get the impression it was a social class issue. I really did think he was just trying to get clarification on which of the horrific mains wanted what.

Now the croissant fight, that's a whole other issue. Both of them took that whole thing personally and just needed to let it go. I get they were all exhausted, but suck it up and do your jobs. Julia seemed to have a bit of a Hannah complex there. She told Ben one thing, and then was insulted when she heard him repeat it. I will admit, I'm kinda a Ben in those regards. It pisses me off when people tell me one thing and then change the facts when it comes back. I don't think people do it on purpose, but I have a mind like a steel trap, and I expect others to have a mind like that too. I know it's pretty unreasonable of me, but I still grab those details and refuse to let go. I think that's how Ben's mind works too. The guests were obviously making Julia run up and down the steps a hundred times on purpose, but after the second time, you'd think she would have asked if anyone else would like anything or have offered to bring a bottle. 

Captain Mark or whatever the hell his name is, is completely useless. His crew is a dumpster fire and he is like someone's senile grandfather just puttering around in the garage while the family hopes he doesn't wander out of the yard and get lost. He in no way, shape, or form seems to be in control of the crew or the charters. A decent captain would have fired Danny long ago, asked Bryan who the fuck he thought he was, and told Hannah to get a grip on herself and her stews. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, kassa said:

The English class system/North-South divide is very real and very damaging to both sides. Julia's low brow accent ("annova" for "another," etc) immediately marks her every bit as much as the worst Jersey Shore or Boston neighborhood accent marks somebody in the US. Except a hundred times more. HIS accent, or any teasing coming from somebody with his accent is going to trigger insecurities if she's already got them.

On the other hand, I bet Ben's distress is a result of knowing that accent or not, his posher classmates were well aware of his family origins and it mattered to them in ways he had no control over. And then now to be accused of that kind of snobbery himself would sting because he just can't win.

I am thinking Julia's "fashion line" is bedazzled t-shirts or something... Nothing wrong with it, but some posters seem to be projecting couture onto it and it seems doubtful. Lovely girl, though.

It's so interesting that Julia is a fashion designer and has these insecurities about class because it's so rare that fashion designers come from the upper classes both in Great Britain or the US. Fashion designers tend to come from lower to middle class. I'd actually argue that there is probably more bias in the fashion industry towards designers from the upper classes. I can recall a fair amount of skepticism directed towards Zac Posen and Stella McCartney about whether they had actual talent or just money and connections. In some cases, I think they are right. If Posen didn't have that financial independence, he probably would have done more apprenticeships and learned how to edit. And with Stella McCartney, I become more and more convinced every season that Phoebe Philo was the talent behind any of the work Stella produced at Chloe. Her work for her own label has been largely hideous. The Saskia and Octavia dresses had moments a couple years ago, but so much of her work is unbelievably unflattering and ugly.

However, Julia's low brow accent is possibly hurting her as she solicits investors for her line. The people who have access to the money she needs might be the posh snobs that Julia generally tries to stay away from. The other issue is that her current collection looks like upscale athleisure wear. That's always going to be a hard sell to investors and store buyers. It's such a new part of the fashion market.

• Love 2

I jusr rewatched the croissant fight between ben and julia. Julia told the guests there were no croissants so the guests asked for burritos. Julia asked bryan to get croissants. When bryan brought the croissants to the kitchen julia said to ben "should i ask the guests if they want croissants now that we have them" ben said yes. That should have nullified the previous discussion. Ben knew julia was going to ask the guests what they wanted. I dont know why he would be mad about having to make croissant sandwiches. I think julia was just over tired at that point and broke down. 

Im team julia on this one

• Love 1

I must need to rewatch croissant-gate because I seem to have a totally different understanding of why Julia was upset. It sounded like Ben thought Bryan took it upon himself to go get croissants and gave him all the credit for saving the day and Julia was trying to tell Ben that she was the one who asked Bryan to get the croissants.

• Love 2

I give up on trying to figure out what happened with the croissant thing.  I'm on neither side, because I just...I don't get it.  Julia was absolutely run ragged by the turd for brains guests, that's for sure.  I think Ben was to a certain extent as well.  Whatever.  I hope they can get over it.  I like them both.

I really really hope it's Danny that gets the ticket home next week.  Blech.  He just makes my skin crawl.

• Love 3

It did appear that Ben thought Bryan went to get the croissants on his own, and then Ben seemed a little miffed that he had to change some of the burritos to a croissant mid-stream, and seemed to think that the guests were fine with getting the croissants later and was complaining that he had to change what he was doing when the guests were expecting the croissants in the afternoon anyway now.  It seems Julia overheard part of this and seemed to believe that Ben was basically saying she created unnecessary work because the guests would have been fine with no croissants for breakfast.  That was my take on it, at any rate.

However, once Ben reacted the way he did once they had their talk, it basically was never going to get any better because he just immediately dismissed what she was saying without at least trying to understand what she was upset about.

• Love 7

I thought this group of guests continued to be prompted by production to max out the odious behavior - making Julia run up and down the stairs, for example.

Same with the captain's relative non-reaction to crew shenanigans - he's not making those decisions, production is, because this is a production, not a real excursion.

I've formed the impression that Ben is very moody. The tears seemed to be from left field. Maybe wandering the seas, crammed into a tiny galley and bunk, is catching up with him.

On a lighter note, when some of the crew were arguing - can't remember who it was - there was a quick shot of Jen's little head slow rising up from below a table. I laughed hard.

• Love 1

While I suspect Danny is getting a ticket home, I actually hope it's Bobby just because Bobby is awfully quick to throw punches or say something equally unprofessional in response to Danny's taunts. I can't stand Bryan, but he knows not to get into with Danny when guests are around. Bobby doesn't.

On 7/13/2016 at 1:02 PM, ivygirl said:

He took lechy pictures of/with guests during a charter, then showed those pictures to other skeevy guests on a different charter. And basically had his phone out all the time while not-working.

Which (because he never works) was ALL THE TIME!

• Love 3
On 7/17/2016 at 8:48 PM, TeeMo said:

I am still pretty confused about the croissant fight. LOL

What happened was that Julia went on a mission to get the croissants. Set it up with Brian to get them but also let the guests know that it may be awhile before the croissants got there so she suggested something else while they wait and then they would be able to have the croissants later instead. Julia then lets Ben know to go ahead and make breakfast burritos since the guest were hungry now. Brian ends up getting back before Ben starts putting the burritos together and Julia has a chance to let the guests know that the croissants are now available so (I believe) she lets Ben know that she's going to let the guests know that the croissants have arrived and inform them that they now have choices. Everyone but the guest craving a croissant sticks with the breakfast burritos. Julia lets Ben know that he can continue on with making the burritos and he would only need to make one croissant sandwich.

Brian shows up, expresses thumbs up that it all worked out and I think that's when Ben throws out the whole, yup all this urgency for something that the guest could have had as a snack for later. Or some such comment like that.

See, before they really hashed it out I thought Ben was taking a dig about the fact that they had gotten the guest appeased with breakfast burritos since there were no croissants on board by suggesting that they would manage to get some and have on board later. I think Ben thought that Julia went a little to far (as well as i) cause of course you always want to accommodate the guests but if you can work with them and they are okay with alternatives there's no need to offer up, right off the bat, extreme measures. I think what Ben really wanted to say to Julia was "no don't ask if they want to change their order just let me serve the burritos and we can just serve the croissants later as snacks like you've already explained to them". I thought that was what sparked the comment to Brian about them being snacks that could have been had later as opposed to all the back and forth in the kitchen.

Anyway, he explains it differently later so I guess my theory is wrong but while I'm watching it, to me it seems that Ben comment was about Julia making everyone jump through hoops when in reality the guests would have been satisfied with what was available at the time and was already informed that croissants would be attained but at a later time. They were already having a tough charter with these guest no need to help them along with their unreasonable demands.

That was my take on it anyway.