Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

That could be really interesting, but I wasn't a Bridemaids fan.  I'm not thrilled at the choice of director.  I do like the actresses chosen though.  So, I'll be open minded.

I am not really sure. Kate Mckinnon is hilarious and could do well I just worry it would be too much of Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy doing their standard Wiig and McCarthy shtick. I watched Tammy and it was pretty bad. 

Why can't movie studios find new and original stories and stop remaking things?!?!?!?!  JHC, NO!

Does anyone who writes anything come up with something new and original? I mean look at Broadway musicals it is even worse than Hollywood. I mean they had Shrek the musical, Elf the musical, Spider-man the musical, Sister Act the Musical, Honeymoon in Vegas the musical, Finding Neverland the musical, and musicals for just about every Disney movie ever made. So either that is what people respond to or just anyone who writes any kind of acting thing is just really unoriginal.

Does anyone who writes anything come up with something new and original? I mean look at Broadway musicals it is even worse than Hollywood. I mean they had Shrek the musical, Elf the musical, Spider-man the musical, Sister Act the Musical, Honeymoon in Vegas the musical, Finding Neverland the musical, and musicals for just about every Disney movie ever made. So either that is what people respond to or just anyone who writes any kind of acting thing is just really unoriginal.

Well, I hate that too, so it's not like I'm discriminating against Hollywood.

The new Ghostbusters cast is exciting.  I totally knew Kirsten Wiig and Melissa McCathy were going to be in it since it's the director of Bridesmaids.  All that I ask from the movie is that Dan, Bill, and Ernie get to cameo somehow.  And that they dedicate the movie to Harold Ramis.

Why can't movie studios find new and original stories and stop remaking things?!?!?!?!  JHC, NO!

I'm interested to see if Pratt does get to be Indiana, and I think its a good choice if he does. I found out recently that Jensen Ackles was actually up for Guardians before Pratt was cast, and I'd watch him as Indiana Jones before I'd have watched Ackles as Starlord.

I'm interested to see if Pratt does get to be Indiana, and I think its a good choice if he does. I found out recently that Jensen Ackles was actually up for Guardians before Pratt was cast, and I'd watch him as Indiana Jones before I'd have watched Ackles as Starlord.

I like Chris.  The only thing I'm worried about is how will his Indiana be different from his version of Starlord?  The characters aren't necessarily that similar but I imagine that if they are hiring Chris they would want him to infuse a lot of his personality so I'm curious on how he would differentiate the characters. 

I would be curious to see if anyone else is in the mix. 

Indiana Jones is also an academic and very intellectual besides being a two fisted adventurer.  It's probably why Harrison Ford always preferred playing him to Han Solo, which Harrison Ford called "dumb as a stump" in EW a few years ago.

The Ghostbusters cast announcement is great news.  I'm looking more forward to Kate McKinnon, than I am of Kristin and Melissa. I pretty much know what they can do onscreen but I'm such a fan of Kate's on SNL and I also like Leslie Jones.

The Passengers news kind of bummed me out. I think Chris Pratt would be wonderful, but originally both Reese Witherspoon and Rachel McAdams were attached to star as the female lead. It seemed like a great role for a thirty-something actress, so of course now they have offered it to Jennifer Lawrence. I think JL is perfectly fine, but it's getting ridiculous how she consistently plays age-inappropriate roles (for example, she is currently playing a mother of three in Joy). If not Witherspoon or McAdams, then what about women like Emily Blunt, Rosamund Pike, Jessica Chastain, Michelle Williams, Marion Cotillard, Diane Kruger or Rose Byrne? There are so many great actresses who would be fantastic and look more appropriate with Pratt. 

Edited by SallyAlbright

Honestly, the role doesn't sound like something I see Jennifer Lawrence doing. I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

Chris Pratt is one of the few guys I can see pulling off being with a younger woman on-screen. He has such a boyish presence.

Edited by methodwriter85

I agree with his basic theory/premise that bad Christian movies denigrate and rebuke secular lifestyles, and that they are too heavy-handed in their spiritual message.  But, I think if "Christian" movies do not do this, then they aren't considered explicitly "Christian movies".  The 2012 Les Miserables had a lot of overt Christian imagery and messages, but it doesn't attack non-Christians, and its message doesn't namedrop Christ, but rather promotes the values of love, mercy, and forgiveness - values that belong to both Christians and non-Christians, alike.  "Christian" movies, in contrast, promote to a very specific Christian audience, and aren't interested in forming connections with people who aren't already converts.

• Love 3

Wow, if that's true, that just sucks.  I know everyone has to play the game, but I wish that if Daniels truly considered Mo'Nique a friend,he'd have fought a little to get her the role in The Butler if he wanted her in it.  I'm not knocking Winfrey's performance, because I haven't seen the film; but I feel like Daniels may be playing both sides.  His informing Mo'Nique she's been blackballed makes him appear friendly with/supportive of her; but it almost looks like he's the one doing the blackballing, or at least complicit with it.

• Love 1

Honestly, Mo'nique strikes me as someone who's extremely difficult to work with. Maybe there's a bit of truth on both sides.

I came across this interesting article that talks about how the movie 54 was basically gutted by the studio forcing re-writes and re-shoots, and its latter-day resurrection in a director's cut version of the movie going on DVD.

54 Bombed in 1998. Now It's Been Resurrected As A Cult Gay Classic

Really interesting look. I feel bad that they were given the impression that they were doing something akin to Boogie Nights, and it had been sanitized beyond all recognition.

I do think it's more possible now to have big box office hits where no one is exactly "good"- see American Hustle and Gone Girl.

• Love 1

Leonardo DiCaprio's Quest for the Oscar continues.  I mean, just look at it: it's based off of a real person, it involves some very dark material, AND it allows him to play multiple characters, because the person had multiple personality disorder.  If that doesn't get him the shiny golden guy, he might as well call it quits.

Edited by thuganomics85

Leonardo DiCaprio's Quest for the Oscar continues.  I mean, just look at it: it's based off of a real person, it involves some very dark material, AND it allows him to play multiple characters, because the person had multiple personality disorder.  If that doesn't get him the shiny golden guy, he might as well call it quits.

I can't wait to see this. I feel like he should already have 1-2 Oscars already, and the fact that he doesn't is ridiculous. Here's hoping this one works, because it sounds like a hell of a role.

• Love 3

I can't wait to see this. I feel like he should already have 1-2 Oscars already, and the fact that he doesn't is ridiculous. Here's hoping this one works, because it sounds like a hell of a role.

Only 1 or 2, Pacino should have won 3 (Godfather, Godfather part 2, and Serpico) before he won for Scent of a Woman.  Dicaprio will get a make up Oscar like Pacino did, and probably like Pacino, it will be an award that somebody else should have won.

(edited)

Only 1 or 2, Pacino should have won 3 (Godfather, Godfather part 2, and Serpico) before he won for Scent of a Woman.  Dicaprio will get a make up Oscar like Pacino did, and probably like Pacino, it will be an award that somebody else should have won.

Isn't that usually the case though? Seems like more often than not the winner is awarded because of either A) the studio was successful in their campaigning or B) voters feel that someone has earned his or her due (see: Kate Winslet, George Clooney, etc.). The Oscars ceased being about who deserves the award for the strongest performance a long time ago, IMO.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 3

So apparently there is some anger in the trans community over the casting of Eddie Redmayne as Lili Elbe.  The community wants a trans actor.  Which seems just as problematic to me, since the movie is about Lili's transition, not just her life post-transition.

• Love 3
(edited)

Whoa, there's a Barbie movie in development? With Diablo Cody now involved? I guess I'm glad they're looking to make a female-led franchise, but there are so many ways this can go wrong. I feel like Mattel should stick with making bigger and better direct-to-video Barbie movies.

Edited by Trini

So apparently there is some anger in the trans community over the casting of Eddie Redmayne as Lili Elbe.  The community wants a trans actor.  Which seems just as problematic to me, since the movie is about Lili's transition, not just her life post-transition.

A trans actor could be pre- or post-op, though.  How is it problematic for a trans actor to portray a transgender person?

I've only heard a wee bit about this movie, which isn't even finished filming yet, but it apparently starts out with the main character as a man who transitions into a woman. If the movie is about that journey, what makes it inappropriate to cast Redmayne? Having seen Dallas Buyers Club, I think they could have just as easily chosen Jared Leto, who I barely recognized even after I knew who he was.

• Love 1

I guess I'm glad they're looking to make a female-led franchise, but there are so many ways this can go wrong. I feel like Mattel should stick with making bigger and better direct-to-video Barbie movies.

Or maybe they could make some more of those damn life in the dream house episodes. There are only like 7 episodes on Netflix but I swear my kids have probably watched them all about 20 times each.

Luke Evans will make a great Gaston, and I'm intrigued at the thought of Dan Stevens as the Beast. Maybe he didn't fuck up royally by leaving Downton Abbey after all.

I knew the rumor about Ryan Gosling being cast to play the Beast was too good to be true...but this casting sounds good.  And if Emma Thompson gets Mrs. Potts, that will be just perfect.

(edited)

Any news that it's been confirmed that Andrew Garfield is officially out as Spider Man?

Rumors swirling even before the Sony/Marvel agreement that Sony officials were not thrilled with his attitude/public statements regarding the franchise.

The Marvel deal gives them an out to boot him off , which they might have done anyways.

Edited by caracas1914

I've only heard a wee bit about this movie, which isn't even finished filming yet, but it apparently starts out with the main character as a man who transitions into a woman. If the movie is about that journey, what makes it inappropriate to cast Redmayne? Having seen Dallas Buyers Club, I think they could have just as easily chosen Jared Leto, who I barely recognized even after I knew who he was.

I don't have any skin in the game about the casting, but I don't understand how casting a trans actor to portray a trans character is just as problematic as Eddie Redmayne.  I can understand why the trans community would complain about it.         

• Love 2