Type keyword(s) to search

Atlanta in the Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, JasmineFlower said:

I didn't know exactly where to post this, but figured everyone who is an Atlanta fan would definitely enjoy seeing this deleted scene like I did.

This made my night. I wonder if this was scripted moment or improvised?

• Love 2
On 5/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, JasmineFlower said:

I didn't know exactly where to post this, but figured everyone who is an Atlanta fan would definitely enjoy seeing this deleted scene like I did.

Love that! Funny, cuz "Creep" was the first thing I thought of when I saw them all in their jammies.

• Love 2

How Paper Boi Became the Star of ‘Atlanta’

In last week’s episode, “North of the Border,” Paper Boi tells Earn he intends to fire him in favor of new management. It’s a righteous coup, both on the story merits and for the viewer’s sake. Throughout both seasons of Atlanta, it’s rarely clear what Earn might ideally be doing with his life. His talents are vague, and his ambitions are unclear. I have no idea what would make Earn happy. In contrast, Paper Boi is a deceptively simple figure. The man wants to rap, smoke weed, and get money without interruption; but his rap stardom is, itself, a great interruption, and so Paper Boi must reconcile himself.

• Love 3

Speculation that the season 2 finale may end up being the series finale.

The episode kind of resolved some questions.

But the reality is, Glover is going to get a lot more lucrative projects offered to him and the same with some of the other actors in the cast.

Maybe the acclaim that the show gets will give them a reason to continue doing the show.  I guess if they're under contract, it's really up to Glover whether he wants to more time on the show vs. doing other projects.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, scrb said:

Speculation that the season 2 finale may end up being the series finale.

The episode kind of resolved some questions.

But the reality is, Glover is going to get a lot more lucrative projects offered to him and the same with some of the other actors in the cast.

Maybe the acclaim that the show gets will give them a reason to continue doing the show.  I guess if they're under contract, it's really up to Glover whether he wants to more time on the show vs. doing other projects.

I’m hoping that with “This Is America” and all of the cast in movies this summer, it will give more exposure to Atlanta. Based on the low participation on this board, I get the feeling that although it’s critically acclaimed, people aren’t watching it. I don’t think it’s due to the show, but FX is a niche network, and it has an awkwardly timed start and short season run. If you don’t KNOW to look for it, you can miss it. But hopefully since most of these “This Is America” articles mention the show, it will get a whole new fan base of people watching online/Hulu. Maybe that’s why this season was so different with specific episodes focusing on one character at a time—easier to film around the actors’ schedules on their other movies. So, if they continue to get more movies, the next season COULD be filmed similarly. With this show and his song/video, Glover has now catapulted himself to be a major voice in the modern day civil rights movement. Now that he has a larger platform, I don’t see why he would necessarily walk away from “Atlanta” and lose his megaphone for focusing in on everyday racism. Yeah, “This Is America” really put that powerful focus on the big, bad, scary stuff—ignore the violence and keep dancing for your money, black man—but “Atlanta” is nuanced and exposes the everyday racism.

As a white woman who is horrified by what I see on the news every day (getting the police called on you for napping, BBQing, sitting in a coffee shop...) and the increasing number of young, innocent lives taken, I’m trying to be woke here—what can i do to help change society and end this bullshit? That’s what I love so much about “Atlanta” because as someone who has not experienced racism firsthand, I have a better understanding of “the little things” (that really are big things) that happen on a daily basis BEFORE the police are called. I realize this probably sounds stupid, but it’s like Racism 101 for white folks: If you won’t let a black man pay with $100 bill, but you’d accept one without question from a white man, you’re contributing to the problem. The life lesson that really hit home for me was Earn’s mom explaining how a black boy needs to wear a suit to prove his worth to society. I’ve always thought there is nothing cuter in the world than a little black boy in a bow tie, so that really shook me and made me see the deeper implication of thinking that way. But that’s what’s so amazing about this show—it’s not like you get your moral of the sitcom story and walk away. It’s so damn layered and nuanced that it STAYS with you thinking about it; it opens us these deeper, important conversations and analysis. This show is just too powerful to walk away from.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

This may be the end of Atlanta. 

Star Wars: Lucasfilm Says Lando Spinoff Is Next

Many reviews of Solo have pointed to Donald Glover's scene-stealing Lando as one of the highlights of the film, and it looks as though the studio agrees with the sentiment. During an interview with Premiere France, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Lando will be getting his own Star Wars Story, and it sounds like the project has vaulted to the top of the studio's priorities.

"We think that the next spin-off will be dedicated to Lando Calrissian," Kennedy said. "Of course, there are still many stories to tell about Han and Chewbacca but Lando will be next."

I'm OK if the series ends. I think Donald got to tell the stories he wanted to tell and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Emmy nominations!

Comedy Series
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Donald Glover
Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Brian Tyree Henry
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Zazie Beetz
Guest Actor in a Comedy Series - Katt Williams
Writing for a Comedy Series - Alligator Man by Donald Glover
Writing for a Comedy Series - Barbershop by Stefani Robinson
Directing for a Comedy Series - FUBU by Donald Glover
Directing for a Comedy Series - Teddy Perkins by Hiro Murai
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Program (Half-Hour Or Less)
Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour)
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series - Alligator Man
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series - Teddy Perkins
Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation - Teddy Perkins

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

I have just started to watch this show, binge watching, and I enjoy it. 

However, its more drama than comedy.  Yes, it has its funny moments, but if I knew nothing of the show and just watched it, was told to place it in a category, comedy would not be it. 

Which is why, despite liking the show, it annoys me it gets nominated for industry comedy awards. 

I felt the same way about Louis CK and his show. 

And part of this is just an old grudge about cartoons and these nomination categories.  Back in its peek in the 90s, The Simpsons never won best comedy because it was never eligible, it was a cartoon.  Then Ally freakin' McBeal came along and won an Emmy  for best comedy. You can't tell me Ally Mcbeal was ever funnier or better than the Simpsons in the 90s 

• Love 1

Atlanta won the following awards at the Creative Emmys last weekend:

Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour)

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy Series - Katt Williams

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation - Christian Sprenger, Director of Photography

• Love 2
3 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

Mainstream Emmy voters are NOT ready for Atlanta. I hope Donald, Stephen, Hiro and none of the other geniuses associated with this show know that a lack of Emmys is no reflection on their craft. They are on another level.

It's shocking that season 1 got so much attention from the Emmys whilst season 2 was practically ignored in comparison. Season 2 was one of the best seasons of television in a while.

• Love 2

DG is of course immensely deserving. Of that AND several writing awards. But BTH is a treasure who is being totally overlooked by awards nominators who can't see past the "one per show" limit for black casts. That clip you posted @xaxat of BTH's interview with GQ had me laughing, disturbed, tearing up and wanting more at the same dayum time.

• Love 4

The casting of this show has been spectacular. And not just for the main cast. Kat Williams, the Migos the actors playing roles like Bibby, Tracy etc. 

A lot of people have done memorable work on this show. 

• Love 4
On 3/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, xaxat said:

Bibby got a new gig!

I just realized that Bibby is driving an Infiniti!

I admit laughed at him, but his hustle must be working better than mine!

• Love 1

Characters played by Bryan make brief appearances in the newest trailers for Joker and Child's Play.

I wouldn't put good odds on either of them surviving to the end.

(Zazie is also in Joker.)

• Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, Angeleyes said:

Have any of you seen Donald Glover and the rest of the Atlanta creative team’s short film Guava Island on Amazon Prime? It has an hour run time and feels as experimental as Atlanta since it is also part music video, part animation, part parable in addition to being a film. 

Even though it airs on Prime, they are choosing not to submit Guava Island for an Emmy

Yes. Rihanna ruined it. I don’t know whether she’s lacking in any type of emotional warmth or what but she just sucked the life out of it. Plus, for a hour long “music video,” the ONE THING she’s good at and you don’t have her at least sing a duet with Donald?! I did tear up at the end though. The music was fantastic and other parts were good, if you can get over Rihanna’s constant resting bitch face. Oof. Donald’s character was so exuberant that it took you out of it that he wouldn’t be dating this humorless sour puss.  No offense to the Rihanna fans! She’s a very talented singer and dancer...just not a “triple threat” with acting.

• Love 1