Type keyword(s) to search

Atlanta in the Media

• Start Topic

Donald Glover just landed the role of Lando Calrissian in the Star Wars movies.

Wonder how long he'll stick with this series now.

He may end up getting a lot of movie roles.

I just took it as this is not meant to be a show to learn from.  That while they are representing their views on the matter they are not trying to sell a blanket definition on things.  Subjective insight as opposed to hand holding attempts to craft an unbiased narrative and yet still deliver a message.

And in the current theme of television shows, especially ones that call themselves comedies even if just in part, they often are making a character learn something by the end that passes on to the audience of how things should be.  Almost every major network sitcom does this.  Hits the viewer over the head with growth that is supposed to translate to a feel good response I suspect.  To the point that there is either open assertions like delivered on Two Broke Girls where one, usually the blonde, cheerily proclaims that despite all the dick jokes, the raunchy one really does have a heart/friendship is everything.  On others there is simple confession that clears the air until the next episode like the lackluster No Tomorrow.  But usually there is a narrator that delivers the closing lines over the confirming visuals like in Black-ish, Modern Family, Speechless and now American Wife.  Because in case you didn't watch Sesame Street, those comedies will spend nineteen minutes of their characters being incredibly mean to each other (as family members in real life it would be abuse) but then clear the slate by having 90 seconds of love means everything chatter and didn't you all just learn a valuable life lesson?  Because you're old enough to pay a cable bill but apparently the simple aspects of being nice to the ones you care about escaped you.  Until we showed you.  Just now.  And will next week too.

As someone who hates parable driven sitcoms as morality plays, I actually love Glover and the others even more for recognizing that as morally corrupt we are as a society, not all of us need our emotional noses wiped.  Or our moral compass constantly recalculated.  More times than not, most of us can make that u-turn on our own.

• Love 1

Two Golden Globes nominations. Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy and Donald Glover for Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy.

It doesn't appear that there is a Best Supporting category for musical or comedy. Which is unfortunate because I think there was a strong case for Brian Tyree Henry as Alfred.

While I'm happy for Atlanta receiving GG recognition, I think, as actors, all of Donald's co-stars (BTH/Keith Stanfield/Zazie Beetz) were more award worthy than he was.

Had Donald been nominated just as a writer, I'd definitely agree he ought to be in contention for a golden globe.

• Love 3

I hope Glover's win paves a path for greater recognition for the rest of the cast. Anyone who's watched Atlanta realizes he's not even the best actor on the show.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

I hope Glover's win paves a path for greater recognition for the rest of the cast. Anyone who's watched Atlanta realizes he's not even the best actor on the show.

Yes! Brian Tyree Henry so deserving of recognition. From the media though, I think Keith Stanfield is becoming the breakout from this show. He's just so strange.

• Love 2

I just hope the other actors like Darius and Paper Boi are getting other roles, instead of waiting around for Glover and Beetz to do their stuff before Atlanta films again.

Bryan Tyree Henry booked several guest gigs (This Is Us, How To Get Away With Murder, Vice Principals) this season and LaKeith Stanfield has a supporting role in Jordan Peele's megahit Get Out (along with having several other film roles in various levels of post-production).

• Love 1

Atlanta's critical and commercial success significantly raised all their profiles, to the point where I can't see the show going anymore than a couple more seasons.

(edited)

Two Emmy nominations, Outstanding Comedy Series and Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for Donald Glover.

Congrats to him , but it feels kind of strange given that he isn't the best actor on his own show.

ETA Opps, I posted before they finished the announcements. 

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series: B.A.N, Donald Glover

Outstanding Writing of a Comedy Series: B.A.N, Donald Glover, Streets on Lock, Stephen Glover

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Underestimate Donald Glover at Your Own Peril

The red-hot writer, producer, director, musician and now movie star takes a break from Lando duties on the Han Solo movie to dissect his extraordinary rise, 'Atlanta' Emmy hopes, his secret sit-down with Billy Dee Williams (in disguise) and how he plans to conquer Hollywood: "Convince them that you speak old white man."

• Love 2