Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: eps2.0_unm4sk-pt1.tc / S02.E02: eps2.0_unm4sk-pt2.tc

• Start Topic

(edited)

I thought it was good.  It was a slow burn and it's taking me a while to get used to the status quo but I enjoyed it and it finished strong.  I like the new characters, particularly the ones played by Craig Robinson and Grace Gummer (you can definitely tell who a Meryl Streep daughter is).

Elliot's a mess and that Tyrell kid is going to have it rough with his two crazy parents.

Poor Gideon.  I do blame Elliot on this one.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4
(edited)

It's good to be back.  So many thoughts right now...

-It kinda feels like Craig Robinson might be playing against type (usual the jovial funny good guy at heart but I suspect maybe not so much here?)  

-Lady Tyrell showing we all grieve in different ways.

-Poor Gideon

-All of the E corp folks are slimy and I enjoyed seeing their lawyers Skynet house

-Elliot smiling was alarming

-Darlene is always for the cause (never change!)

-Already like Elliots new friend (played by Joey Bada$$)

-Time to brush up on my Farsi

Edited by Mr. R0b0t
spelling matters
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Noirprncess said:

Elliott seems to be in something like prison or a mental hospital.

He's living with his mother. She's such a cheapskate I'm surprised she would give him room and board, as he no longer has a salary from AllSafe.

Okay, if someone has to explain all the nuances and things that are going on in this show, I'm gonna get frustrated really quick.  I enjoyed last season, but I want storyline, not just gorgeously filmed randomness. 

• Love 8

I loved it, but there's a lot I'm forgetting from season 1 and although some slowly came back as I watched I'm sure I'm still forgetting a lot. It's beautiful to watch and wonderfully acted so I don't really mind.

In season 1 it was apparent to me from the beginning that Mr Robot was some kind of alter personality for Elliot, so I spent a lot of the season just waiting to get to the fireworks factory. Now that we officially know it, we can explore how that impacts Elliot's interactions with others and struggle with maintaining his sanity. I find that a much more interesting story and am looking forward to where this season will go with that. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I do not know where to put this, because it is purely speculation on my part, so I will spoiler tag it for now (it is not a spoiler as it is just my guess from watching the episode).

Spoiler

I think Elliot killed himself when Mr. Robot shot him in the head.  I think Elliot is now dead and maybe Craig Robinson is an angel trying to lead him out of purgatory?  I have not given it much thought, so this probably is not correct.

That is why we see Darlene crying.  She is sad Elliot committed suicide, but not surprised.  Angela is also trying to come to grips with the news.

Edited by qtpye

This show is like a sedative. The storytelling always make me nod off, especially during Eliot's droning voiceover. I'm also not invested because the lead is robotic (understandably). I perk up for Wellick's storyline and I was engaged by last season's kidnapping episode, but I mainly enjoy all the style flourishes and ripoffs. Aside from the usual (Kubrick and Fincher), there was some Coppola (noted in the above article) and Schlesinger (the Marathon Man music for the DC meeting).

So both ep 1 and ep 2 are 90 minutes and then an hour special on the season 2 premier with the creator?

Want to make sure my TiVo got all the new content this week.

I liked it but I also think we've got a few too many characters. I'm interested in what the deal is with Tyrell but I've never once given a shite about his wife. She's a plot device we no longer need. Also, not sure how much I want to get to know the corporate bigwigs really. I mean I'm definitely invested. I'd just rather focus on a few key players. They don't need to pad the cast.

• Love 2

I don't know how I missed it last season, but I love that the hack was on 5/9 because no matter where I've worked the joke has always been we might not have five nines uptime, but at least we're achieving five ninths.  

53 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I don't know how I missed it last season, but I love that the hack was on 5/9 because no matter where I've worked the joke has always been we might not have five nines uptime, but at least we're achieving five ninths.  

I don't know what that means, but I was wondering why they asked for 5.9 million - of course, the date! 

• Love 3
(edited)

See I learned something today.  Thanks yourmomiseasy.   (nice name by the way)

I thought the episode was great.  I especially loved the money burining scene.  I thought that entire scene and the music picked was extremely well done.  I watched the scene twice.  It was framed amazingly.  I also loved Angela's scenes.  She only had a couple of scenes but they were meaningful.  Girl has come a long way since the pilot episode.  I really liked the story the lawyer told her.  I heard it before but it fit really well with Angela.  

Everyone and their cat has been looking forward to the return of the show so it's not hard to see how many will be disappointed.  There wasn't a way the show would live up to everyone's expectations or be what everyone wants.  It had to expand or it would die.  I mean really the gang just pulled off the biggest hack in history and toppled the biggest Corp there is.  Things had to change.

Three further notes.  

1.  I noticed that the show was calling the corp E Corp and not Evil Corp.. Is that because we are now officially out of Elliot's head and into everyone's else's?

2.  If I had to pick a 2nd favorite scene it would be the one where the lady was yelling at the E Corp banker and demanding her money back.

3.  Poor Gideon.  If there was an innocent on the show it would be him.  So of course he gets blamed for the hack.  And of course he gets shot.  I hope he's ok.  #PoorGideon

Edited by Chaos Theory
Basic editing.
  • Love 5

What a difference a year makes. Now all the anti-Wall Street/e-Corp people seem like Bernie supporters.

Why does it feel like you made things worse? Because you did. What was the point?

This ep I kept wandering off to do quick chores. Just didn't keep my attention. 

20 hours ago, Cardie said:

He's living with his mother. She's such a cheapskate I'm surprised she would give him room and board, as he no longer has a salary from AllSafe.

I doubt it's his real mother.  There's very little motherly interaction between him and her.  Also, his life is very regimented with meals, chores and other activities at the same times daily, much in the way you have in rehab or mental facilities.  His room is also very stark and prison like.

During his visit with Krista, she asked why he chose his mother.  Elliott says, "She's the strictest person I know.". 

He's trying to reestablish order and control so he reverts to the one orderly person he identifies with but likely is uninvolved with him or Darlene's lives in reality.  Why she isn't involved is the mystery.

• Love 2

Analog, aware Elliot is very different from what we've seen. I wonder how long he'll last offline. The show focused on the other characters and had scenes without Elliot last season, but this felt like noticeably less screen time. I am interested in the others, but at the same time, the whole thing comes alive when Elliot/Rami is onscreen. I read a comment from Sam Esmail saying it was going to be more of an ensemble this season, which doesn't make me too happy. However, I still want to know what happens with everyone and how Elliot is going to function.

• Love 2

Very intriguing and confusing episode.  But I am curious to see where it all goes. 

I meant to go back and rewatch season one before this started but didn't have time.  Will have to try to binge watch it soon to see if it makes more sense.

Not really sure who is real and who is not to Elliot to be honest

Poor Gideon.  It occurred to me last night he is playing the smart and likeable but also gullible and easily fooled character here like he did on House of Cards.  Trying to do the right thing but kind of clueless. 

I am sure there is more significance to the church group and what they are reading than I have recognized. 

A bit of a slow opener, unlike last season where out of the gate it caught your attention, but still want to see where this goes.

Darlene's trying to bask in the joy of what they did.

Everybody else wants to know what they're going to DO.

Poor Gideon, he just can't buy a break can he?

I was kinda happy for Angela. She's in her element finally. Finally getting the respect she's been fighting for and not getting her whole life. It was good to see her come out on top for once.

Elliot, Elliot, Elliot. How many people are there living in your head anyway? Was the black guy he ate meals with daily a figment of his imagination? Because I notices he wasn't there the last time he spoke with the black guy with the bloodhound. Was HE even real?

I'm really starting to believe in Tyrelliot.

Elliott asks his imaginary dad/friend/enemy to put him in touch with Tryell and Tyrell CALLS HIM? REALLY? Mr. Robot's not even REAL! HOW did an imaginary person get in touch with a (supposedly) real person? And that phone. That phone was straight out of the 60's, Think maybe that "phone call" was just another delusion? How messed up IS this kid anyway? 

It is very possible that either Elliot is a figment of Tyrell's Imagination, or Tyrell is yet another character in Elliot's insanity.

This show was allllllllll over the place, way too many plot lines, but over all? Enjoyable. I love me a smart TV show, and since Limitless was cancelled, I'm in need of a new smart show.

• Love 4

Elliot, Elliot, Elliot. How many people are there living in your head anyway? Was the black guy he ate meals with daily a figment of his imagination? Because I notices he wasn't there the last time he spoke with the black guy with the bloodhound. Was HE even real?

I am convinced the black guy was not real.  He was the first new one this episode I thought was in Elliot's mind

• Love 6

First thing first, welcome back congrats on all the Emmy nods, show!  Especially you, Rami Malek.  Continue to give one of the most riveting performances out there.  Every time he's on screen, I'm always paying full attention, because there is so much going on there; even when Elliot isn't speaking.

A lot to take in, but I enjoyed most of it.  I liked seeing how everyone is effected after last season.  Elliot is just isolating himself from technology and, really, almost everyone, but Mr. Robot is continuing to get even more and more worse (Christian Slater was doing a pretty good job at that.)  Darlene is clearly frustrated over F-Society not making as much as an impact as she hoped, so she wants to ramp things up.  And then Angela actually enjoying her new job, and seeing that not everyone in E-Corp is totally evil.  Even enjoying seeing Price trying to figure out how to recover from the fallout and handle F-Society's new attacks.  I'm sure all of this is only the beginning, but I like where everyone is now.

Looks like they're going to drag out the "What happened to Tyrell?!" thing for a bit, but I'm glad that we still get Joanna!  So thrilled Stephanie Corneliussen is a regular this season.  There is just something so delightfully... off about that character.  Not the BDSM stuff because, hey, as long as it's consensual, whatever works.  But she is just so unpredictable.  Can't wait to see how she'll factor into this season.

Not sure what to make of the new characters.  Craig Robinson was entertaining, but I totally think he's being set-up to actually be a bad guy, since that would kind of play against type (although, he did show on Pineapple Express and Brooklyn Nine Nine that he can kind of be bad.)  Gracie Grummer was OK, but I'm not quite sure what to make of her character except that she's in the FBI and kind of quirky, I guess.

Sucks about Gideon.  He was one of the few decent people on this show, so I had a feeling this wasn't going to end well for him.

Did Barak Obama himself actually say/record those lines in the press conference?  If so, not to shabby, Mr. President!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Did Barak Obama himself actually say/record those lines in the press conference?  If so, not to shabby, Mr. President!

I also found this intriguing. Did the show runners have to get special permission to manipulate or imitate the President's voice for these commentaries? I know that manipulated recordings of former presidents and past and present newscasters often appear on shows like this, but it seems that you have to be extra careful with a sitting President. If he actually recorded the commentary that's one thing, but that seems unlikely, somehow. Of course, he is on his way out of office and can pretty much do what he wants at this point, and he does seem to have a pretty good sense of humor and might enjoy doing something like this. I guess i should have watched Hacking Robot..maybe they answered that question.

Otherwise, I was having a lot of trouble remembering who everybody was. I knew I should have rewatched season 1, but I had no time. Thank goodness for the very extensive recap (11 pages) on EW.com. and the one here on Previously TV.by next week should know little more about what I'm watching.  

Loved the Seinfeld references. 

6 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Elliott asks his imaginary dad/friend/enemy to put him in touch with Tryell and Tyrell CALLS HIM? REALLY? Mr. Robot's not even REAL! HOW did an imaginary person get in touch with a (supposedly) real person? And that phone. That phone was straight out of the 60's, Think maybe that "phone call" was just another delusion?

Right before getting the phone call, Elliot was nodding off at his church group. So the phone call might have been a dream rather than a delusion. It would be refreshing if only the Mr. Robot confrontations were delusions and we could believe in the external reality of everything else. But I agree the sudden appearance of great friend Leon with whom you eat most of your meals is a bit suspicious.

• Love 3
(edited)

Is the real Elliot still in a fall induced coma and we are watching his version of "Brazil" or is Wellick the real person and Elliot and Mr Robot are aspects of his "American Psycho"?  I tend to think that Wellick is real because his wife is so strange. 

Edited by Sunnydayman
Microsoft Edge
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Elliott asks his imaginary dad/friend/enemy to put him in touch with Tryell and Tyrell CALLS HIM? REALLY? Mr. Robot's not even REAL! HOW did an imaginary person get in touch with a (supposedly) real person? And that phone. That phone was straight out of the 60's, Think maybe that "phone call" was just another delusion? How messed up IS this kid anyway? 

There is the suggestion that Elliott's routine wasn't completely keeping Mr. Robot at bay, and that he'd lost control during a fugue state. My guess is that after he asks what happened to Tyrell, when he nodded off during group, Mr. Robot took over, called Tyrell and then handed control back over to Elliott. It's not so much that Mr. Root is completely imaginary; he's a dissociative identity of Elliott's. IIRC, there were blank spots in Elliott's memory last season, too, when he'd done things as "Mr. Robot" that he didn't remember doing as Elliott.

My first thought about Leon is that he's another dissociative identity Elliott made up for himself, but I'm still on the fence. It could be- if Elliott is actually in a prison or psych ward- that Leon is a fellow patient.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cthulhudrew said:

...My first thought about Leon is that he's another dissociative identity Elliott made up for himself, but I'm still on the fence. It could be- if Elliott is actually in a prison or psych ward- that Leon is a fellow patient.

And the other guy on the bleachers with the sad-looking dog too?

3 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Yeah..what does Leon do with his life besides watching Seinfeld reruns and eating with Elliot? 

If Leon is a figment of Elliot's imagination, it means Elliot has watched a lot of Seinfeld.

I wonder if the name Leon is a nod toward the character of Leon in Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

I'm curious about whether they need permission in regards to using the president.  It might fall under some kind of public figure policy.  I recall back in 1997 Bill Clinton not being happy that they used his image/manipulated it for the movie Contact.

• Love 1
On July 14, 2016 at 10:54 PM, Noirprncess said:

I doubt it's his real mother.  There's very little motherly interaction between him and her.  Also, his life is very regimented with meals, chores and other activities at the same times daily, much in the way you have in rehab or mental facilities.  His room is also very stark and prison like.

During his visit with Krista, she asked why he chose his mother.  Elliott says, "She's the strictest person I know.". 

He's trying to reestablish order and control so he reverts to the one orderly person he identifies with but likely is uninvolved with him or Darlene's lives in reality.  Why she isn't involved is the mystery.

I was wondering if his mother is another hallucination. Gideon did not seem to be aware of her presence in that scene with Elliot. To go full Freudian on you, Mr. Robot is Elliot's id, while mom is his superego.

• Love 3

When the coworker who doesn't like Angela was talking on the phone about her to somebody else (presumably another coworker), she says that Angela is weird and says that she sometimes sees her talking to herself. The person on the other end of the conversation makes a comment to indicate that they too have seen Angela talking to herself. I don't think those comments were meaningless on a show like this. I think we were just told that she and Elliot have more in common that we were previously led to believe.

I was so surprised by that revelation about Angela that I'm taking my speculation to another thread. 

As for Elliot in this episode, my speculation is that he and Mr. Robot (and whatever other personalities Tyrell has) have been 'put away' so to speak. Tyrell isn't spending time as one of the personalities, so they aren't in the real world. They're in whatever limbo situation Tyrell has come up with. The red phone was like the boss calling Elliot to come out and play. "Bonsoir, Elliot" is what Tyrell says to either wake up or put to sleep the Elliot personality.  

As for Gideon's death...I hate considering it but I find it suspicious that he would die right after Mr. Robot threatened to kill Gideon. We see Mr. Robot slit Gideon's throat and we have Elliot telling Krista that he can't be trusted but doesn't explain why. I think Tyrell might have hired and/or encouraged that man to kill Gideon, and I think it's because Gideon is dead that Tyrell feels it's safe to bring Elliot out of this hibernation. 

• Love 4

Last season it was fun trying to figure out who was real or not but now I'm over it and want the show to lay down some rules. 

I think the comment about Angela talking to herself is about her self help tapes and trying to survive the ECorp world. At least I hope it is because this show has enough crazy!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

Last season it was fun trying to figure out who was real or not but now I'm over it and want the show to lay down some rules. 

When everything gets up for grabs, you lose some direction and purpose. It's only the opener, but the viewers should be clued in, in some way. Last season, we all picked up on Mr. Robot not being real right away, so the fun was in when Eliot would realize it. 

I don't get the impression that the guy who watches Seinfeld or the guy with the dog aren't real people though. It seemed like much of this mundane routine was to wrest some control from Mr. Robot, but it doesn't look like it's working. 

I don't know what to make of him being "shot" though. I hope he's not harming himself. 

(edited)
23 hours ago, kat165 said:

Avaleigh, I would like to read your speculation about Angela. Where did you post it? I'm not finding a season 2 spec thread.

I'm still working on the post and there's another poster who had similar speculation from last season in the season one thread so I'm trying to incorporate that as well. I think I'm going to start a speculation thread since we don't have one. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 2

Tyrell, the one who was supporting her, is nowhere to be seen and she just gave birth.

But nice to see that Joanna's top priority is securing round the clock kinky/role-playing sex for herself.

• Love 1

I looked closely at the MRI films after his fall to see if there was some damage there, but can't say for sure. 

I thought maybe it would correspond to his gunshot wound, but it definitely does not. 

It may be showing a brainstem lesion.  The last film is an axial midbrain MRI and on one side appears he may have a lesion but films are blurry. 

I think it was more just morphing the film shots into the cover of his diary in the next shot and scene.

The Seinfeld episodes mentioned both correlated I think to his life.  The Chinese restaurant where they wait around and never get a table, the parking garage they are wandering around and can't find the car.  Just signifying how his life at the time is waiting and wandering around with nothing happening. 

• Love 7

I am going to have to have to let  you guys keep me up to date. I am not into the cyberhacking.  I thought the show was going to be about a mentally ill man who somehow found his way back with help from friends, therapist, etc.  I am not that interested in the subject matter and they have made Elliott less sympathetic.  I was interested in the relationship with Krista.  In the first season when I thought the show was going to be about Elliot exposing bad people by using his hacking skills I was intrigued. It has turned into something totally different that requires too much thinking for me!  

• Love 1

really loving the show, so much so that i've developed a man crush on elliot.

what's up with the head wound guys? it was visible for a couple scenes, even the scene with gideon.. even though gideon didn't see it. but then it just disappeared. what is elliot really doing to himself when mr robot shoots him... again?

• Love 1

I thought there was some kind of self-harm going on when Mr Robot shoots him. Last season, and they showed it in the previouslies, when Mr Robot grabbed Eliot and choked him up against the wall, in reality he was choking himself. 

• Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I thought there was some kind of self-harm going on when Mr Robot shoots him. Last season, and they showed it in the previouslies, when Mr Robot grabbed Eliot and choked him up against the wall, in reality he was choking himself. 

Yeah, I think he wounded himself and that's why he's bandaged up. 

On 7/17/2016 at 10:01 AM, scrb said:

Tyrell, the one who was supporting her, is nowhere to be seen and she just gave birth.

But nice to see that Joanna's top priority is securing round the clock kinky/role-playing sex for herself.

I think that guy needs to run before it's too late. I don't have anything to base this on, but I get the feeling that Joanna's new boy toy is going to end up taking the fall for something or might even end up being killed. I thought it was weird that he commented on how Tyrell's minion can't wait for her in the car. She's okay with the minion seeing her involvement with this guy, but then moments later she's talking about how they can't be seen together? Also, the way she tells the guy that he's spoiling it for her when he asks if he's doing it right or is being too rough with her--I felt like she didn't want him to say things like that because it makes her feel guilty about whatever it is she later has planned for him. 

I don't know why but the guy's character reminds me of a character who appeared on Boardwalk Empire and ended up getting caught up in the character Gillian's web. If it's too good to be true (he's essentially getting paid to have kinky sex with a beautiful woman although the circumstances are admittedly not ideal) I think he should at least be suspicious. Right now he thinks that the downside to this gig is having to be violent and having a witness come in after the fact, but I get the feeling that there's more to come. 

ETA:

I just read elsewhere that the "Take Me Home" Phil Collins song is more proof that Elliot is in a mental institution. He wants to go home. It makes sense to me. 

Edited by Avaleigh

When Phillip, E Corp's CEO is meeting with the government officials he refers to Janet (Yellen real life Chair of the Federal Reserve), Jack (Lew, real life Secretary of the Treasury) and Mary. 

Who's Mary?

And is Jack Lew really a messy eater?

• Love 1
On 20.7.2016 at 11:28 PM, Avaleigh said:

I think that guy needs to run before it's too late. I don't have anything to base this on, but I get the feeling that Joanna's new boy toy is going to end up taking the fall for something or might even end up being killed. I thought it was weird that he commented on how Tyrell's minion can't wait for her in the car. She's okay with the minion seeing her involvement with this guy, but then moments later she's talking about how they can't be seen together? Also, the way she tells the guy that he's spoiling it for her when he asks if he's doing it right or is being too rough with her--I felt like she didn't want him to say things like that because it makes her feel guilty about whatever it is she later has planned for him. 

I thought the guy that was waiting for Joanna was a cop of some sort. Wouldn't she be under police protection/surveillance because of her relationship with Tyrell? And with the 'spoiling it' line, I think it's just that Joanna knows her own limits and having her partner doubt her about what she likes in bed spoils her mood. Especially since it isn't the first time he's asked her - "you're spoiling it again".  

Since Elliot started looking for something in the popcorn machine in his scene with Tyrell, are we supposed to think that Elliot shot him? Or is the gun not there anymore?  

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:28 PM, Avaleigh said:

Also, the way she tells the guy that he's spoiling it for her when he asks if he's doing it right or is being too rough with her--I felt like she didn't want him to say things like that because it makes her feel guilty about whatever it is she later has planned for him. 

I thought that it was simpler than that.  We know she likes things dangerous, and even rough (not the same thing) and when he asks if it's too much it ruins her mood--he's clearly not actually into it.  I'm not sure Tyrell always was either, but he definitely knew how to fake it.

• Love 1