Type keyword(s) to search

One-Punch Man - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Nice to squeeze in a few chapters of the manga, before the guy after the credits is brought in. I like the idea of a guy with ennui over being able to defeat his enemies with one punch, where he can only get a decent battle in his dreams. And yes, bringing in Christopher Sabat to voice a villain clearly based on Piccolo was a cute touch.

ETA: I take it Jay Leno likes to get his freak on while in Japan. Damn, kids aren't supposed to have that chin.

(edited)

I hope we're going to get a name for the guy other than just "One Punch Man", otherwise I'm gonna start calling him Opie.

Man, I've heard of having a fivehead, but that kid had a fivechin. Based on the resemblance, I figured the kid was a young Peter Griffin. Or else a young Lord of Eltingville. Either way, he probably should stop listening to "Tryin' to Grow a Chin" on his mp3 player.

I wonder if this show/manga is deliberately referencing the difficulties that Superman's writers have always had finding ways to make interesting stories for a guy who's ultra-powerful and nearly invulnerable.

ETA: Pulling someone's innards out through his eye-socket qualifies as hardcore. Somewhat reminiscent of Hei (Darker Than Black), who was also shown killing someone with superpowers before he himself had them and using a similar move.

"There's someone on your shoulder! Kill him!" made me laugh and laugh. His brother looked a lot like a Titan. I get the feeling that this show is going to have a lot of shout-outs to other shows and manga.

Edited by Sandman87

Maybe I shouldn't have read the manga first, because I knew about all the stories . . . especially the giant killing his brother. That was funny, wasn't it?

ETA for anybody reading: What's your favorite part of the opening? I'm torn between Saitama punching a knife-wielding star (who has at least one bloody hand) and the singer bringing himself to climax at the very end.

From the previews I was prepared to not like this, and that was about right. 

I loved it!  If the series stays quirky and continues the wide ranging references, I'm in all the way down to the mat.  

Cyborg dude looks kinds like Ichigo, and has something like Yamamoto's powers.

Mosquito Girl wants to be "filled with your juices." Yeah. Her painted-on costume doesn't make it any better. Looks like she came from the cover of an issue of Heavy Metal.

Hey, we got a name for OP! He's Saitama, and his new cyborg friend is Genos.

And we have a $6M Man reference: "Better, stronger, faster." Genos does talk a bit, doesn't he?

Mad Scientist unleashes a super-villainous zoo full of experiments on Saitama and Genos. Doesn't work out so well. We find out that Mad Scientist has a lab full of clones too.

Consecutive Normal Punches looks a bit like Luffy's Gum-Gum Gatling.

Mosquito Girl did not look as creepy in the manga. Genos taking up space with his backstory is consistent, though. Ditto for the armor gorilla breaking character after Saitama showed what he did to Beast King.

This week: Saitama's regiment revealed! Or as Rock Lee refers to it, "Tuesday, 10-10:45 a.m." And Carnage Kabuto winds up dying when he makes Saitama realize he's missing a sale. At least Armored Gorilla managed to live. He seemed nice, at least for a hyper-evolved experiment.

ETA: Toonami ran a promo for next week's episode. Pardisers! I'm happy they're not dubbed "Bald Bastard Brigade."

ETA2: I meant "Paradisers." My bad.

"Pardisers"? Should I even ask what that means?

Saitama's workout regimen (*cough*)  turns out to be about 2 hours of ordinary exercise every day, eating right, and never turning on the A/C or heater in his apartment. I bet it's the latter that made his hair fall out.

Genos needs to learn a trick other than making various quantities of flames. Some bad guys are flame-resistant.

I hope we'll be seeing more of the guys in the suits at the end of the episode. That could get interesting.

22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA2: I meant "Paradisers." My bad.

It's anime, so I thought maybe "Pardisers" was what they actually said. Either way, it still doesn't explain the Yul Brenner look that they've adopted. I hope we get an explanation about that, one that makes some sense.

Looks like Bicycle Guy (or whatever his name is) should stick to rescuing cats.

The Golden Turd Building! There really is such a thing in Tokyo, although it's official name is something else, and it looks different in real life.

Speed of Sound Sonic gets his junk squashed at super-sonic speed. Hope he knows some ninja healing jutsu. Good thing Saitama was just standing there, rather than throwing a real punch.

Saitama watches an interview about young people who don't want to work. I guess NEETs are still a big thing in Japan.

This week: Two manga volume cover boys in Mumen Rider and Speed O'Sound Sonic. Saitama manages not to murder Hammerhead and Sonic. I guess you don't get killed if you go crotch-first into his fist. On the other hand, Sonic beheads the shit out of most of the Paradisers. I don't remember if he did that in the manga. Also, I don't recall Genos's doctorfrom there, either. And we'll be getting into the Hero Association soon.

Next week: Pre-test sparring!

Hero testing! Saitama aces the physical exams, but doesn't do so well on the written test. What sort of questions would there be on a superhero entrance test anyway? "If Super-Duper Dude flies north at the speed of sound, and Excellent Lad runs south at ten times that speed, how much will Lloyds of London have to pay to cover all of the property damage when they collide?" Also, the physical exam is extreme; even the X-Men and the Avengers don't check one's score on Whack-A-Mole!

I like Saitama's sweatshirt. In case the graphics weren't obvious, oppai is Japanese for "boobies."

Genos finally beats Saitama at something...eating food. And the girls all treat him like a celebrity. And one of the Class A heroes has taken a personal interest in him. Saitama, on the other hand, just gets some rent money. No respect, I tell ya!

I flash back to the punching machine test from DBZ. You know, the one where Goku got 24 hours on Earth, and Vegeta was all "Fuck this" and obliterated the machine. I find it funny that the Hero Exams aren't as long as those from Naruto and Hunter x Hunter. Written exam, physical exam, then go for lunch.

Nice for Saitama to not kill Genos. He's a cybernetically-enchanced schmuck, but he's a nice schmuck. And he's a schmuck with deep pockets. Did he get a signing bonus for joining Class S?

ETA: Next week? Saitama/Speed O'Sound Sonic: Round 2!

ETA2: Here's a crossover with a future blockbuster.

Saitama learns an important lesson or three. First, you gotta put in the work - sort of the hero version of "publish or perish", but without any chance of tenure. Second, don't scare the normals, because it's bad for the heroic image. Third, training a student is easy as long as you're willing to blatantly make stuff up.

Nice to see that Saitama has the traditional leek sticking out of the top of his grocery bag when he goes shopping. Also nice the local monsters will deliver any ingredients that he forgets.

Anybody flashing back to the first episode of The Tick? So many goobers in costumes. At least here, we have a few with genuine powers, like Terrible Tornado (the floating shorty). On the downside, Genos doesn't have to do anything to be popular aside from looking really, really cool in photos. Meanwhile, Vic Stone has spent decades bitching about being less than a man (at least pre-Flashpoint).

Did I miss the part where the monster was looking scared and de-whatever-ed? That was in the manga. Also, nice to see Hammerhead trying to change his ways. Did he lose the kunai Sonic stuck in his head?

18 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Nice to see that Saitama has the traditional leek sticking out of the top of his grocery bag when he goes shopping.

Is that the Asian equivalent to the baguette sticking out of the bag?

17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, nice to see Hammerhead trying to change his ways. Did he lose the kunai Sonic stuck in his head?

He had a bandage covering the back of his skull, so I'm guessing he did.

Damn, maybe they should change the show's name to No Respect Man. Saitama punches the living daylights out of a meteor, downgrading the effect of the impact from "complete annihilation of all life" to "aftermath of a 9.2 earthquake", and everyone hates on him for it. Tank Top Tiger and his older brother decide to score some free publicity by whipping up a crowd against him, but end up being humiliated in an offhand way.

Takeaways from this episode: Saitama needs to learn about collateral damage, and guys with tank tops are assholes. Also, a lot of people might as well grow wool on their bodies. And the Tony Stark expy is a bigger asshole than the original.

While checking out Hunter x Hunter, I saw that there's going to be a OPM marathon next Saturday. And I saw a commercial for the next episode, where we meet Puri Puri Prisoner. Because Japan, that's why. Also: more Mumen Rider!

Puri-puri is a sound effect denoting anger/grumpiness in manga. Grumpy Prisoner? Puri can also mean fresh (as in fresh fish). Fresh Prisoner? Or maybe Fresh Fish Prisoner, considering that the preview makes the next episode look like there's a lot of ocean type stuff going on? Could even be all of the above: Grumpy Fresh Seafood Prisoner.

While rewatching the episode from from a few weeks ago during tonight's marathon, the one where they join the Hero Association, I noticed something that I had missed before. During Genos's info-dump about the association, he mentions that the association was formed about 3 years ago by a millionaire named Agome when his grandson's life was saved from a monster by a passing stranger. And the picture of the millionaire shows that he has a giant chin. Guess the association was formed because Saitama saved the kid with the huge chin from the lobster man.

Also noticed in last week's episode that someone in the control room mentioned "elevating from 6 to 9 on the Torino Scale" regarding the approaching asteroid. The Torino Scale is a real world measurement of the danger associated with potential collisions between Earth and other objects in space. It factors together the chance of collision and the energy that a collision would release. A 9 on that scale translates as "between 100 megatons and 999 megatons, more than 99% certain to hit."

Fell asleep watching the new episode. That's more on me than the anime. Anyway, I DVRed it. I think it's the first multi-episode arc with a featured villain, as Deep Sea King messes up everybody's shit, including Class-S hero Puri Puri Prisoner. Try to get away with making a character like that in the US. He ends up naked, Sonic winds up naked, and a Class-C guy pisses his pants. Also: more Mumen Rider! I really hope that he's got more than "riding a bike," because that's just sad.

Deep Sea King shows up with a bunch of cannon-fodder to menace humanity, but no one says "Fuck Yeah!", maybe because he looks nothing like the Pokemon character. We meet Puri Puri Prisoner, who's a macho camp badass gay with an "Angel Mode" and who doesn't realize that No Means No. In other words, he's Hapsiel from Macademi Wasshoi. Numerous heroes, including a fellow named Stinger who's armed with a drill-tipped staff, take on the King, and they all get their butts handed to them. Prisoner has a particularly bad day, because he accidentally rips the sweater that his boyfriend gave him. Saitama spends a lot of time arriving on the scene...basically the entire episode. Genos prepares to take on the King.

3 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Is the use of "puri" here a reference to "princess"?

Could be. Makes more sense than the other possibilities.

Deep Sea King vs. Genos looked like it was going to be interesting, but Genos did the heroic sacrifice thing to save a little girl. You'd think someone with a robotic body would be a little more resistant to acid. I can remember from chemistry class what a long time it took to dissolve metal in hot concentrated sulfuric acid...

Mumen Rider shows up and gets beaten like a rug. And he keeps coming back. He's like this show's version of Spider-Man. Eventually he stays down.

Saitama confronts Sea King during the height of the rain storm, and hits him so hard that the rain stops. Then, because an idiot troll is talking trash, he decides to go for a Zero-Approval Gambit to preserve the reputations of the heroes who got beaten. He gets promoted to class B (yay!) but the public hates him now (yay?), and Mumen buys him dinner.

Now I guess Saitama is the hero version of a Heel in professional wrestling.

Apparently, the show is moving into the manga volume I left off on . . . the one with Puri Puri Prisoner on the cover.

Man, people suck. Or at least trolls do. And sea folk. Is that racist towards fish people? And damn, Mumen Rider is resilient. After DSK went old-school cartoon on him with the "handshake," he's still walking and talking. He should be in the hospital, fending off PPP's advances. Also, Genos' mentor must be a rock star. Dude lost both arms, yet he's back with Saitama and getting fan mail.

That must be it.

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Lantern7 said:

Man, people suck. Or at least trolls do.

Forgot to mention before: This seems to be a common theme in manga and anime. The public at large are often portrayed as completely vile; stupid, apathetic, selfish, and mean. What's up with that?

For a show with such a dumb premise, this really has heart.  It's quickly becoming my favorite oddball pleasure of the week.

I suspect the machinations of the Hero Association will have no effect on Saitama, as he's too pure and naive to notice.  It's nice how that makes him, the strongest guy around, the audience proxy (plus Moomin Rider too, I guess).

I'm a bit disappointed we didn't continue the comic gag of all the naked hero streakers from last ep.  

This week: an alien arc kicks off. We get to see most of the Class-S (because they can't be called "Z-Fighters") in action. Terrible Tornado gets treated like a child, I feel a little discomfort over the black guy, and everybody questions why a Class-B like Saitama is there. Naturally, he makes it into the massive alien ship that wiped out City A.

And naturally he doesn't bother to let anyone else know what he's doing.

We finally get to see Terrible Tornado in action. She takes out a talking Godzilla wannabe.

Is Flashy Flash the worst hero name ever, or just the most redundant one since Speed of Sound Sonic?

Metal Bat looks like a classic anime street gang member, complete with a pompadour 'do and a baseball bat.

"The Earth is in trouble", and it will be sometime in the next 6 months. Yeah...that's vague enough to qualify as useless.

Hello, Sky King. Goodbye, Sky King. Shortest time-to-death of a named character ever.

22 hours ago, lathspel said:

I'm pretty sure I saw the guy from Akira sitting at the table also.

You mean the Zombie guy who was disgusted by Pig God's constant eating? Yeah, I can see a resemblance to Tetsuo there now that you mention it.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, lathspel said:

For a show with such a dumb premise, this really has heart.  It's quickly becoming my favorite oddball pleasure of the week.

I suspect the machinations of the Hero Association will have no effect on Saitama, as he's too pure and naive to notice.  It's nice how that makes him, the strongest guy around, the audience proxy (plus Moomin Rider too, I guess).

I LOVE this show!! It's the funniest parody since Space Dandy. As soon as the Hot Topic in my mall came out with One Punch Man T-Shirts, I naturally HAD to pick one up! It's sad to think we only get two more eps of this great show while something like Naruto is just gonna go on....and on...and on...

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:36 AM, Sandman87 said:

That must be it.

Forgot to mention before: This seems to be a common theme in manga and anime. The public at large are often portrayed as completely vile; stupid, apathetic, selfish, and mean. What's up with that?

The bullying problem in Japan is worse than it is in America?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, lathspel said:

I'm a bit disappointed we didn't continue the comic gag of all the naked hero streakers from last ep.  

It's One Punch Man, not Kill La Kill.