Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Fire At Sea (2)

• Start Topic

The old Jake would have tried fixing the hydraulics system or something. Now he just sits in his chair and does nothing. And was that subtle shade thrown at Elliot??? Hate to say it, but Elliot would have at least been out there trying to fix it/ find a temporary solution. 

Yay for Edgar fixing all that stuff!!! Not gonna lie, I enjoy it when they have to manually steer the boat with the old steering wheel. It's so ol'-timey and I love it. Sad that they had to shut down operations for a little while. 

i liked Wild Bill's and Zack's chat. It was nice that Bill didn't yell. Also, I'm still 100% positive that Zack doesn't really want to be a captain, despite him talking about. His heart's not in it compared to how Jake was when he was jumping on every he could get to learn the captain stuff.

• Love 5

Tonight on the Deadliest Catch:

Zach learns he will never be good enough to his dad.

Just like all the other captains, if you don't want it in exactly they way they think you should want, you don't really want it.   And they will belittle you until you act exactly the way they want.

And oh man are they sick of Josh Harris.  Bringing up the ring thing.   Josh saying "I apologized like 50 times"  Wild Bill "You apologized once."  Wild Bill pointing out he could tell Josh was still fishing instead of trying to meet him.   That it was no oversight.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

The old Jake would have tried fixing the hydraulics system or something. Now he just sits in his chair and does nothing. And was that subtle shade thrown at Elliot??? Hate to say it, but Elliot would have at least been out there trying to fix it/ find a temporary solution. 

You're right, I remember Jake has shown skill as an engineer in the past. I wonder if the bad fishing had him in such a funk he just used it as an excuse to go to town. Looked like the guys on deck were burned out as well. Or at least the editing seemed to hint that. Could be that he and the engineer/relief captain (whose name I still don't know) worked on it and couldn't fix it. It'll  be interesting to see if he gets some heat on the bait next week. And yes, his remarks seemed to be a dig at Elliot. Not too surprising, as Elliott was reported as saying some pretty derogatory stuff about Jake not being a real captain. As I've said previously, while I didn't like Elliott I do think he was a good engineer.

Yay for Edgar fixing all that stuff!!! Not gonna lie, I enjoy it when they have to manually steer the boat with the old steering wheel. It's so ol'-timey and I love it. Sad that they had to shut down operations for a little while. 

I think that Edgar has always shown superior skill at fixing the NW when anything goes wrong. If his neck and back problems force him off the deck, I think he would still be a valuable asset as the engineer - besides, he's always been one of my favorites.

i liked Wild Bill's and Zack's chat. It was nice that Bill didn't yell. Also, I'm still 100% positive that Zack doesn't really want to be a captain, despite him talking about. His heart's not in it compared to how Jake was when he was jumping on every he could get to learn the captain stuff.

That's what I was thinking, too. Jake really pestered Sig trying to get time in the wheelhouse. Not just sitting in the chair, but working the books and trying to learn why Sig picked the spots he fished. More than once he was upset and whiney when he felt Sig wasn't letting him practice running the boat, to the point we all thought he was TOO upset. I don't blame Bill for being disappointed Zack isn't pursuing the wheelhouse more aggressively. Even Nick expressed that. Nick knows Bill wants Zack to move to the wheelhouse. I got the impression Nick hesitated to let Zack speak up, and when Zack just shrugged Nick jumped in and said he'd go first.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

And oh man are they sick of Josh Harris.  Bringing up the ring thing.   Josh saying "I apologized like 50 times"  Wild Bill "You apologized once."  Wild Bill pointing out he could tell Josh was still fishing instead of trying to meet him.   That it was no oversight.  

Certainly no one spoke up and said anything to support Josh. Yeah, Josh SAID he's sorry. But even as he says that I get the vibe that he doesn't mean it, and if he was on some good numbers, he'd do keep right on fishing and expect Bill to sit and wait for him again. After all, he's JOSH HARRIS! He's entitled to better treatment and common courtesy doesn't apply.

• Love 2

Let's face it.  Josh was totally bullshitting to Bill no matter how hard he tried to spin it.

I find Jake as a captain really boring.  And as others have stated, he didn't try to fix it?  What's with that?

Edgar is the hero of the day once again.  Loved it.  And loved that he was using the wooden board to flip the circuit breakers.  It's amazing to me that he 'goes there' and screws around with the electric.  Scares the heck out of me personally.

I think Zack is just a lost person.  He doesn't really want it but at the same time, he wants to please this father who hasn't been there most of his life and he doesn't have any other direction for an end career.  There's a real power struggle between the two of them.  It's really kind of sad. 

Just not feeling Keith's struggles to find the crab.  I do feel for Monty having to play catch up after Keith leaves.

Loved the weatherman on The Bait.  Also loved that the favorite crew was Mikey.  I was surprised that Jake (well, maybe not) that Nick was the favorite on the Northwestern.  Edgar will always be my favorite.

• Love 3

Just a comment on the Bait.

I sooooo hoped we might could get real fireworks from Bill at whatever point they were going to bring up Josh's d*ck move to not come to meet him when Bill went out of his way for net rings.  Instead, we got more BS laughter from all the others (except notably Casey) and Bill was ll "bygones" about it. 

They've all done a 180 from calling Josh out, to now treating him like he is one of them.  Disgusting.

Didja notice Casey sat rock still and dead silent until he was asked a direct question?  He knew how bad his ship (Josh) had behaved.  He then bent way past the necessary groveling level.  Smart, and honest, man is he.

Those captains did not get where they were by forgetting who the bad guys/fools in the fleet were.  Quite the opposite, as a matter of fact.  We're supposed to just swallow as they wink and nod at us as they create this bon homme joviality.  The imperative that they know they can truly count on each other out there?  Why, there is no such thing!

Would you count on anything important from Josh Harris? 

• Love 3

Dear Discovery Channel:  If you *must* have that obtrusive bug in the corner of the screen, do NOT also add to it commercials across the bottom of my screen when something serious as a freakin' fire on board a boat!   Sheesh. 

But also did love it when Edgar kept yelling, "Stay calm!  Stay calm!" and then went about fixing the problem.  Still don't know how he did it with so many fried wires and such.  He's just amazing at diagnosing and fixing things.

Also got that vibe that it would seem no matter how well Zack does something, it will never be good enough for the Old Man. 

• Love 7

I love the Northwestern. I work on ships. Even though they were all upset, they did their jobs. Designated crew go into the compartment to see what the problem is (they should have worn respirators, though). The captain or person on watch stays on the bridge and watches the larger picture. Crew who aren't actively involved in response or reporting go to designated muster points and stay the heck out of the way. With the exception of the respirators, they did their jobs and took care of each other. Everyone should have given Edgar a hug, I think Sig did his version of it. Making coffee was a way to release tension, although Edgar certainly needed to be in on it or something.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

They've all done a 180 from calling Josh out, to now treating him like he is one of them.  Disgusting.

As far as the show is concerned, he is.  He has an equal producer billing (something even Jake Anderson doesn't have).  Sometimes I wonder if the reason Andy isn't around any more is because he was the only one who didn't mask his contempt?  The others may be somewhat swayed by residual loyalty to Phil -- at least enough to bite their tongues on air.  

Funny how Sean is the guy that Zack claims to be -- quiet and steady, not cutthroat.  But you also know he'd be the first guy to volunteer for extra wheel watch and anything else that would get him time in the wheelhouse.  When Sig called to offer him the quota, he didn't do a song and dance about being born and bred and cornfed to fish -- he just said "yeah, I'll do it, thank you."  So no, I don't think Zack wants it -- maybe some kind of life on the boat, but not the top job.  Which is fine.  I think it would be fine with Bill, too -- he just doesn't like being strung along.  but I think Bill's calm demeanor is more because he's accepted that this is the way it will be until the show goes away and Zack moves on. In the meantime, it's a storyline.  

Not sure whether Nick McGlashan (sp?) is genuinely in the running.  He may be doing damage control for previous on-air behavior, to rehabilitate his image. But I can't see turning a boat over to him.

4 hours ago, terrymct said:

I love the Northwestern. I work on ships. Even though they were all upset, they did their jobs. Designated crew go into the compartment to see what the problem is (they should have worn respirators, though). The captain or person on watch stays on the bridge and watches the larger picture. Crew who aren't actively involved in response or reporting go to designated muster points and stay the heck out of the way. With the exception of the respirators, they did their jobs and took care of each other. Everyone should have given Edgar a hug, I think Sig did his version of it. Making coffee was a way to release tension, although Edgar certainly needed to be in on it or something.

ITA also, while I'm thinking about it, while I think Sig's method of "training" relief captains leaves something to be desired, it impressed me that he felt the boat wasn't handling correctly, and quickly diagnosed the problem with the tanks. Guess one reason why the NW stays atop the leader board is that he is good at his job. And, it certainly helps that the rest of the crew know their jobs as well.

• Love 4

Wild Bill has been on a roll all season. He has been pulling full pots after full pots and he says it’s been the easiest crab season ever. Things have been going so well that he can allow Zack and Nick time in the wheelhouse to learn the ropes.

Over on the Cornelia Marie, Josh Harris has been put in charge of for the first time. He ignores Casey’s advice about where to set pots and when to go in for an offload, but it turns out he was right and Casey was wrong. Looks like he has inherited his father’s crabbing skills.

Meanwhile when last seen (it seems ages ago) the Saga was pulling up blank pots after blank pots and Jake Anderson was moaning about how he was never going to make his offload. Things were so bad he had to fire a deckhand for insubordination. Then in this episode we find out from the narrator that for the past 3 weeks, the Saga has been having a tough time. We see them pulling up pots full of trash crab and then the crane breaks. Things look grim for poor tortured Jake Anderson.

Then the crab count comes up and the narrator intones that with the Northwestern and Saga headed in for repairs, the rest of the fleet has a chance to catch up to them. Wait, whaaaat? Did I miss the episode where the Saga hit the motherlode and vaulted past the other ships to take second place?

Methinks the editing monkeys have been working overtime this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

Josh's EP credit, as with the others, is a contractual way to make sure they toe the Disco party line at all times.  It's also an incentive to keep him involved in the actual fishing, thus assuring he'll be featured in whatever cockamamie narrative Disco can conjure in a season.

So...someone please correct me on any of this:  When the pumps for the holds go awry for any significant time, as like what happened to the NW, is not the dead loss increased?  On any trip, regardless how perfect the hold conditions, is there not at least some dead loss?  Now, by law, is not each F/V required to take that loss a certain minimal number of miles out to sea and dumped? 

The NW did their offload and there simply had to be dead loss.  Had to be.  But, the ship was out of commission, going nowhere.  What becomes of the dead loss?  What penalties did Sig face for failure to properly handle it?  Can/does a cannery agree to handle it for a cost?    Why, oh why, can't Disco, who are always searching for draaaaama, tell us about this type of aspect of the process?   They sit there on The Bait and talk about nothing, repeating themselves over and over and over each season, but rarely do they truly inform.

Zack is no F/V captain.  It's sad that Bill won't be able to live out his dream of a legacy, but at least he can say he gave it everything HE had.

I'll be verrrrrry interested to learn where the failure in the NW laid.  Material (wiring/switches)?  Design?  Modifications to the system by Edgar?  That was such an unusual failure.  Super scary.

I don't trust the Saga edit.  It is all but impossible that Jake did not, at some point real soon after the hydraulic failure, with a seasoned relief captain right there to man the wheelhouse, do everything he could to mitigate the issue.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

As far as the dead loss goes, with the pumps not working, there can be dead loss after a certain period of time because water isn't circulating.  At least, that' my understanding of it.  Who knows what the actual time was between the fire and them getting to port.  If there is dead loss, I believe there is a penalty.

I don't know if Bill gave it everything he had to give Zack a legacy.  Their relationship seems to be pretty complicated.  For Zack's mother to have chosen her maiden name for Zach after her divorce from Bill could be viewed as pretty significant and Zack's choice to keep it that way even more so.  I can't help but feel there's history there and maybe Bill wasn't all that during Zack's childhood.  Just sayin.  

The Northwestern has had electrical box problems before.  I forget what season it was.  I think it was Matt that noticed one of the boxes was way to hot and Edgar made adjustments.

The Saga edit made no sense to me as well. 

• Love 1

I thought the dead loss "penalty" was that it counts against their quota, but they don't get paid for it because it's worthless.  Plus the costs of disposal.