Type keyword(s) to search

New Episodes Discussion: Cooking for Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

She's making her garlic bread differently now. I love her original recipe but will try this new recipe (just like Ina said--I could eat all the crunchy garlic bread!)

I had to laugh because she started that garlic bread recipe by saying to cook the garlic in butter for 20 minutes.  But I wanted to know how.  Butter would surely start burning.

3 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I had to laugh because she started that garlic bread recipe by saying to cook the garlic in butter for 20 minutes.  But I wanted to know how.  Butter would surely start burning.

Maybe she should have said "chop/press the garlic and simmer" it in butter...even so it seems like a long time. Have to admit though, the garlic bread looked really tasty. (Or as the fools on The Kitchen would say...delish...ugh!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The recipe on the FN site says: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic, stir to coat with the butter, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is very tender.

I'm guessing that because there's so much butter (a stick and a half), low heat, and a covered pan, there's not much chance the butter would burn in 20 minutes. But it looked really good!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Those tuna and avocado rolls looked really good; I think I'll make them the next time I have a friend over for lunch.

I make garlic bread with a garlic, parsley, and lemon zest compound butter, and every once in a while I add parmesan, so watching Ina make hers made me get up and check my fridge to see if I have any of that butter left from last time I made it.  Yep.  So today when I finished off the last of the turkey soup, I made a piece of garlic toast to go with it (no parm added, though, as I already had cheese; I add shredded Monterey Jack cheese to the soup).

I can't decide how I feel about the crab nachos from last weekend's episode.  I love crab, I love nachos, and I love all the ingredients other than cream cheese, but there were so many flavors going on it seems like the crab might get lost.  I also wondered if the chips would get soggy before you'd finish eating it, and one of the reviews said: "Great flavors but the chips get soggy right away. Next time I will prepare the crab mixture as a hot dip, topped with salsa, and serve the chips on the side."

I had forgotten about her cilantro hated (makes sense; she's one of those people for whom it tastes like soap), so when she put parsley in the salsa, I thought "Huh?" and then she said, "If you use cilantro instead, I don't want to hear about it," and I remembered.

• Love 3
On 12/27/2021 at 9:44 PM, Bastet said:

I can't decide how I feel about the crab nachos from last weekend's episode.  I love crab, I love nachos, and I love all the ingredients other than cream cheese, but there were so many flavors going on it seems like the crab might get lost.  I also wondered if the chips would get soggy before you'd finish eating it, and one of the reviews said: "Great flavors but the chips get soggy right away. Next time I will prepare the crab mixture as a hot dip, topped with salsa, and serve the chips on the side."

I had forgotten about her cilantro hated (makes sense; she's one of those people for whom it tastes like soap), so when she put parsley in the salsa, I thought "Huh?" and then she said, "If you use cilantro instead, I don't want to hear about it," and I remembered.

Try some OLD BAY SEASONING in the crab from the beginning (yes, I am from a family from MD and OLD BAY is the go-to for crab/shellfish)

Edited by Boston
26 minutes ago, Boston said:

Try some OLD BAY SEASONING in the crab from the beginning (yes, I am from a family from MD and OLD BAY is the go-to for crab/shellfish)

Yeah, I use that when I make crab cakes.

I just think those crab nachos had too much going on, like they'd probably taste good, but I'd think it was a waste of crab.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I use that when I make crab cakes.

I just think those crab nachos had too much going on, like they'd probably taste good, but I'd think it was a waste of crab.

Now I have a hankering for steamed crabs.  OMG.. down at my family's HUGE crab feasts. It's my summertime

I watched the first episode of the new season on FN, Be My Guest. Ina's first guest at her barn was Julianna Margulies, who spent the entire time gushing over Ina.  I understand being thrilled with cooking with Ina at her lovely home and touring those spectacular gardens.  But it really was excessive, IMO, and there was very little cooking in the 30-minute show which is why I watch.  Ina made a margarita with lemon as well as lime juice and that had 50/50 proportion of orange liqueur and tequila.  JM made a pan grilled halibut with herb butter.  Very underwhelming.

I don't have Discovery+ so won't be able to watch the extended episode.  I'm interested in whether the longer show is more enjoyable--if someone sees it, please report in.

• Love 1

I tried last night, but only made it five minutes before realizing I was not at all in the mood.  Ina is so awkward with guests (and, hey, fine, but it's not good TV) and there's something about Julianna Marguiles that has always vaguely bugged me, so I need to be in a different frame of mind to watch it.  I'd so much rather see a new regular show (what did we get, maybe half a dozen of those?!) where Ina just cooks.

Also, Ina could not decide on a pronunciation of Julianna's name -- half the time the first A was "an" and half the time it was "ahn" -- and, again, fine, I'd have to look it up myself (I think most people say "an" but she's actually "ahn") and might still slip, but this is professional TV; if nothing else, fix it in post.  They're getting sloppy; as I noted upthread, there was an episode of the regular show where Ina said "Julia Childs" instead of "Child" (twice) and one where she mistakenly referred to arrabbiata sauce as marinara (that one was glaring, since she later said "don't be tempted to just use marinara, you really need arrabbiata").

• Useful 1

The hero worship continued with Erin French last week, who was completely in awe of Ina. She didn't gush as much as Julia - THAT was almost embarrassing to watch.  Today she had Willie Giest on and the worship was not as evident. Ina took him on a tour of the property and that was interesting. Then his wife and Jeffrey joined them on the terrace for cocktails.

I enjoyed this episode (no gushing). But I would have liked seeing Willie & Ina cooking up a storm...or something interesting. He's such a nice, calm, interesting person (& so lucky to have found his true love in grade school). But, I still miss the original BC shows, with Ina cooking in her own kitchen, with friends dropping by to help. Her garden is wonderful!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

But, I still miss the original BC shows, with Ina cooking in her own kitchen, with friends dropping by to help. Her garden is wonderful!

I miss the original BC too. These visits have been sort of interesting and seeing her property interesting too, but I miss her cooking more.

I keep forgetting this is on. Sounds like I should set the DVR--at least for the tours. They sound like fun. (All my travel is virtual for the foreseeable future, thanks, YouTube.) Otoh, the next guests are Rob Marshall and John DeLuca--already saw them visit with Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt.

I wonder if Ina is tired of the stir and smile episodes? Oh, Ina, I can't see enough of those. What I don't need to see is celebrity gushing--maybe that's why I keep forgetting about this.

• Love 3

No surprise, Ina’s show with her good friends - Rob Marshall and John DeLuca - was great.  They laughed and cooked and met Jeffrey at a gorgeous hotel in East Hampton for dessert.  John and Rob even danced with Ina which was cute.  The watermelon cosmopolitans - a fun drink and not hard to make.  Loved Ina’s huge shaker.  I’m not motivated to make a salmon burger like John did, but the cole slaw looked tasty.  Ina’s home is always wonderful to see.  I’m a little confused about the layout of her home — the guys walked in her front door and almost directly into her kitchen.  

Edited by MerBearHou
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I’m a little confused about the layout of her home — the guys walked in her front door and almost directly into her kitchen.  

They walked into the barn, not her house. It was a nice episode but so far Willie Geist's visit was my favorite. I've made salmon burgers and they're good. I think the slaw needed some seasoning, though. That hotel looked beautiful. Ina sure has the good life: The Hamptons and Paris 💚 (my green with envy heart 🤗).

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Ina is talented in so many ways...and didn't she say today she also renovated houses in the past?

She did!  That is something I don’t think I’ve ever heard her share before.  She was so funny about it — that “crazy Ina Garten is on the phone again”.

I just watched the Willie Geist episode — it was absolutely wonderful.  Willie sets the tone.  He is so easy-going, warm and sharp.  I loved getting to “meet” his wife, Christina.  I’d heard they’d met young, but I had no idea it was in the 6th grade!  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I just watched the Willie Geist episode — it was absolutely wonderful.  Willie sets the tone.  He is so easy-going, warm and sharp.  I loved getting to “meet” his wife, Christina.  I’d heard they’d met young, but I had no idea it was in the 6th grade!  

Just think...she didn't have to endure a bunch of frogs before meeting her prince! 🐸💘

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Ina commented on Instagram that she's doing eight more episodes of Be My Guest this sumer and fall.

So does that mean she's not doing any Barefoot Contessa episodes all that time, just this silly thing instead?

26 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Ina commented on Instagram that she's doing eight more episodes of Be My Guest this sumer and fall.

Not sure how excited I am about this. It's not really much of a cooking show with so much time taken up with mutual gushing. Maybe word will get back to Ina & her production folks to cut back on that silliness & focus on cooking something interesting (e.g., sharing Emily Blunt's recipe for English roasted potatoes, with Emily actually cooking  potatoes & sharing her mom's technique for shaking the pan).

).

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Not sure how excited I am about this. It's not really much of a cooking show with so much time taken up with mutual gushing. Maybe word will get back to Ina & her production folks to cut back on that silliness & focus on cooking something interesting (e.g., sharing Emily Blunt's recipe for English roasted potatoes, with Emily actually cooking  potatoes & sharing her mom's technique for shaking the pan).

Yeah, not overly excited here either.  More cooking, less gushing would work well for me.  I want to see Ina cook or at least a guest cook something interesting. I want to learn things about food, not see the fanboy/fangirl  love of Ina and get a tour of her town or property. Have seen enough of that already.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Ina does have a new cookbook coming out in October and traditionally has done a series of episodes focusing on new (or newly-recycled) dishes.  I'm wondering if that's changed because of the Be My Guest show.

Bless her heart. Every 2 years my husband doesn't have to figure out what to give me for my birthday.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm Ina's age...imo she can do no wrong. Every right to to do it her way.

I love the (little) cooking, chit chat, garden, her indoor decorating style, and seeing the town she lives in.

Even Martha does not do what she does now on tv and they are also about the same age. 

I'm just glad I get to see her shows, even re-runs.

• Love 3

You know as long as Ina is on my screen in new shows, I'll take whatever she is doing. Though I do like her just cooking best, I'll take this new iteration for now.

• Love 2