Type keyword(s) to search

New Episodes Discussion: Cooking for Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

I loathe lamb and have idea how big a shank is, but I'm glad it's big enough so that everybody gets their own.  The thought of people at a dinner party fighting over the main course is upsetting.  That's my favorite Ina irritation, that everybody gets their own or that people can serve themselves ("you don't want any, do you?").  Or she chirps about how easy is that, then makes pizza dough from scratch.

Yet when I need something special, she's my go-to for recipes.  WWID?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Lava VaVoom said:

I loathe lamb and have idea how big a shank is, but I'm glad it's big enough so that everybody gets their own. 

It depends on how the lamb is raised and when it is butchered, but a lamb shank can be up to two pounds!  I rarely buy them, as I prefer chops for myself or a leg if I'm serving to a group, but the shanks I see are generally about a pound.  Definitely not a single serving. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I love vanilla so I enjoyed this episode.  I want to try and make that pound cake because vanilla + cream cheese.  Yum.

Me too! And I may make vanilla extract for Christmas gifts. I may get it started this week so it will have months to perfect. I wonder if you have to use the "good" vodka or if the cheapie vodka is ok?

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Me too! And I may make vanilla extract for Christmas gifts. I may get it started this week so it will have months to perfect. I wonder if you have to use the "good" vodka or if the cheapie vodka is ok?

I make my own vanilla extract and I use cheapie vodka. Actually I think that is preferred!

• Love 1

Trader Joe's also has a good cheap vodka that I use to make vanilla and different liquors and infused vodkas. Its cheap enough that I don't care if my experiments don't turn out well.

I've gone from one giant-size bottle of cheap supermarket vodka to another, any brand, over the years.  I keep it on a shelf in the door of my fridge, so it's chilled in case I want to make the vodka piecrust recipe on a whim (although I now mostly make the cornstarch version) or top off the bottle of vanilla extract that's brewing in the pantry.  All you need is the alcohol, so it doesn't really matter what brand you buy.  Except I do add a dash of rum to my extract, for a hint of sweetness.  It does make a great gift for baking friends, especially if you make up a customized label of your own.

• Love 1

IMHO, unlike the wine rule "only cook with a wine you would drink," I think the whole making your own vanilla extract thing is "cheap is just fine." You need the alcohol + the vanilla beans. Marinate for 3-4 months and there ya go.

My only caveat on the alcohol is not to use homemade moonshine - as someone familiar with how it's made and tasted it, it smells like kerosene. Wouldn't make for "good" vanilla (said tongue in cheek). ;-}

• Love 2
On 3/25/2018 at 2:47 PM, Bastet said:

That's a bad area for good food.  Being from Los Angeles, I liken it to Rodeo Drive - sure, you can find a good meal, but in general you are just paying out the ass for mediocre food that happens to be served in a high-rent district.

Paris is like any other major city; the more touristy the immediate area, the greater chance of forgettable (or perhaps notorious) food.

Same for London around Trafalgar Square and the entire Piccadilly area!

• Love 1

It was very odd to see Ina and the woman from Loaves & Fishes making chili.

Doesn't seem to be their thing.  (Even though it was said it was an award-winning recipe)

Where in the Hamptons?

Went to look up her name ~ Is this the Anna Pump who was struck and killed by a truck while crossing the street?   :o

Although there was nothing earth shattering, I enjoyed today's new episode. I've never made her blue cheese dressing and will certainly try it. In fact,  I will head to the local meat market for a steak on Tuesday (they are closed Sunday and Monday) and whip up that dressing! A fact important to no one: Ina and I have the same microwave! How special is that?!

• Love 3

Today's show was really enjoyable.  Even if there isn't anything revolutionary about coffee in a steak rub (we've been using a coffee rub for years--a cocoa one, too), that steak looked great.  And I will be all over that fried chicken.  This felt like a throwback show, which is a very good thing, IMO.  How easy was that?

• Love 2

I forgot to mention that I appreciated her tip of zapping the Roquefort in the microwave (our microwave!) for a few seconds so it would incorporate nicely into the dressing.  So I did learn something new! 

• Love 3

I think today's episode was one of the best.  Simple foods, easily explained and well demonstrated.  I could have lived without seeing that dick Bobby Flay doing that milkshake again, but it was almost like watching the old Food Network.  Instruction and entertainment.  How good is that?

• Love 4

I can't wait to make Ina's Roquefort dressing using her microwave tip.  It's my favorite dressing, and I know her recipe will be delicious.  What a great episode of fairly simple recipes that most everyone enjoys!  The Shake Shack chicken made my mouth water!  We'll love it -- then diet and exercise for the rest of the week!  LOL

How is it that Ree Drummond can make iceberg wedges with dressing, and they seem so ordinary -- almost like a quick afterthought, while Ina can slice disks of iceberg and make them look so beautiful and inviting?

• Love 3

In curious about the coffee grounds in the rub for the steak. What happens to the grounds? It seems to me they would be chewy or something?

2 hours ago, rhys said:

In curious about the coffee grounds in the rub for the steak. What happens to the grounds? It seems to me they would be chewy or something?

They cook like any other spice on the rub, it's a fairly common ingredient in rubs.

11 hours ago, rhys said:

They come ground quite finely in premade rubs, and if you make your own, you can grind them to whatever fineness you like.  Even if the coffee bits are fairly chunky, they aren't noticeably chewy.  It's the same as ground black peppercorns, or coriander seeds, or any other hard spice you might use.  Cooking breaks them down, so no problem.

I enjoy her episodes no matter what, but did she really buy ice cream, cookies and nuts, then made not homemade ice cream sandwiches? Come on Ina. I thought the rub sounded wonderful.  I am going to try it this weekend. 

• Love 1
(edited)

FN had mini-marathon this morning.  I had not seen her "Cook Like a Pro" show on Parmesan cheese and I really enjoyed it.  I make different versions of some of the recipes (orechietti with broccoli rabe and sausage but no tomatoes; smashed potatoes without cheese) but I might make those modifications next time.

Edited by tvchick
posted too soon
  • Love 1

Just saw the "Simply French" episode from a couple weeks ago. That French chef's pate was no joke! I've been to France a few times but never saw anything like that.

After Ina went to all that trouble to make her own tart shell (and showing multiple examples of why it's ok to just buy dessert from a bakery), I didn't understand why she topped the shell with jam from a jar and plain berries. No, my friends would not be impressed with that, and they would ask what the filling was!

• Love 1

I love Ina, I really do. But I have to say... it drives me CRAZY that she keeps all of her measuring spoons connected! It's basically dirtying up five spoons at once. Every time she uses them and they clank together, it makes me stabby! 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I keep my measuring spoons connected. Makes them easier to find. I just rinse off the one I've used and move on.

Me too. Plus the spoons I use now were my late mother's so I would never dream of separating them. If using them this way was good for her, it's good for me! I also use her measuring cup and old cracker tin. 

• Love 5

I have several sets, and the ones that are on a ring I usually leave connected.  It seems pretty easy to use one without dirtying the others.  My favorites, though, are a set of Martha Stewart spoons, each of which has a little disk magnet embedded in the handle (and flat bottoms on the spoon parts, so you can set them on the counter without having them wobble and spill).  The magnets keep them together in the cupboard, but you can pull off whichever one you need to use without separating them all.  It really is funny, the kinds of things that drive us crazy!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

My favorites, though, are a set of Martha Stewart spoons, each of which has a little disk magnet embedded in the handle (and flat bottoms on the spoon parts, so you can set them on the counter without having them wobble and spill).  The magnets keep them together in the cupboard, but you can pull off whichever one you need to use without separating them all. 

That's similar to my set, the Progressive magnetic set; I hate measuring spoons that are on a ring or otherwise "permanently" connected, but I also hate sets that wind up scattered in the drawer if I open/shut it too hard.  So these are perfect for me - together when stored, but easy to separate for use (and I love the flat bottoms, and that one end is round and one is oval).

40 minutes ago, Booking It said:

Every time she uses them and they clank together, it makes me stabby! 

Ha - that noise bugs me, too!

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Booking It said:

I love Ina, I really do. But I have to say... it drives me CRAZY that she keeps all of her measuring spoons connected! It's basically dirtying up five spoons at once. Every time she uses them and they clank together, it makes me stabby! 

Ah, the part that gets me is when Ina dips a tablespoon in something icky like mayo, then uses the same spoon in a ramekin filled with salt. I get that it's a TV show, so all that extra salt is being thrown out, but I still cringe every time.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, huahaha said:

Ah, the part that gets me is when Ina dips a tablespoon in something icky like mayo, then uses the same spoon in a ramekin filled with salt. I get that it's a TV show, so all that extra salt is being thrown out, but I still cringe every time.

...when I realize that I need more than one set of measuring spoons, lol. 

• Love 2

I think my primary set is something like Giada's. They're somewhat rectangular & not attached. They fit well into spice jars and have no wobble. Love them. 

• Love 2
On 10/19/2018 at 4:46 PM, chessiegal said:

New season of Cook Like a Pro starts Sunday at 12:30 pm ET.

Watching the new episode now — thank you for the alert!  I truly think I could watch Ina 24/7.  Love her. And she really makes want to tackle some things that would have previously seemed daunting.  (hence, “how easy is that?!”)

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2

I really wish Food Network had more actual cooking shows, rather than competitions. I admit, I do love "Chopped" and being on that show is on my bucket list, (lol), and I also like "Beat Bobby Flay." I feel like I learn something. Give me more Ina, Nancy Fuller, Gesine Prado. I love Trisha, The Kitchen and Giada. I want to better my cooking skills. Teach me something! Let me learn! I hate other competition shows like Guy's Grocery Games. Sheesh.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, Bastet said:

That's similar to my set, the Progressive magnetic set; I hate measuring spoons that are on a ring or otherwise "permanently" connected, but I also hate sets that wind up scattered in the drawer if I open/shut it too hard.  So these are perfect for me - together when stored, but easy to separate for use (and I love the flat bottoms, and that one end is round and one is oval).

Ha - that noise bugs me, too!

That's even better than my similar set, which were interlocking but over time they have separated.  I do love having the round and oval ends.

I want to devour everything on today’s episode. That squash dish will definitely be on my Thanksgiving table. I needed one more side dish and this will be perfect. And those cookies are going in my Christmas goodie gift bags. Thanks, Ina!

3 hours ago, tvchick said:

I'm with you, Spunkygal, everything in today's new episode looked fabulous. The chicken recipe probably will be the first one I'll try because I adore mustard.

I love mustard, too, and make a similar mustard sauce to put on salmon. It is so good. Ina’s recipes may not be groundbreaking but they are usually delicious and easy to master. 

• Love 1

Yeah, how easy was that chicken? Plus I love thighs. But I have never seen boneless thighs at my local Dillons.  Frankly, that surprised me a bit.

the cookies looked fab too.

I missed the show, but thinking there may have been a cranberry sauce recipe (for experimenting, mine is well loved), I went to the website and spotted her make-ahead cranberry sauce recipe (not new) with 1 3/4 cup sugar for a 12 oz. bag of berries. Sit down, Ina!

I really enjoyed tonight’s one hour special. I realized that I don’t think I’ve ever had celery root! I gotta try it. There was really nothing that new but it was better than 99.9% of anything else on FN. Jennifer Garner was adorable and I want Marcus’ collard greens! yum! And I really, really miss Nigella. I’d be happy with reruns of her old show. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the prime time hour long special too. I'm surprised FN went with Ina rather than golden child Pioneer Woman whose reruns seem to run 10 hours a day. But Ina has a new cookbook to sell, and they pulled in other interesting personalities.

• Love 2

Ina's show was pretty good (even though I wasn't all that interested in the items she made).  It brought back nice memories of the days when I'd plop down on the couch with a glass of white wine at 5:00 PM to watch the BC as dinner cooked.   Jennifer Garner's segment was funny. I like her "pretend cooking show".

• Love 1