Type keyword(s) to search

New Episodes Discussion: Cooking for Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Thank goodness.  Thank you for the update.  I actually checked our local listings this morning and Ina has moved to the 6:00am slot.  She used to be on 2 or 3 times a day -- around noon and again around 4:00pm.  Hope her old timeslots pick up again.  I miss her.  The FN desperately needs Ina.  I'll take Ina re-runs over just about any of the other shows.

P.S.  "Episodes" is misspelled in the topic category.  :)

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hooray!  New episodes of Ina.  Now that sure cheers me up re: TV-watching these days, especially when it comes to FN. 

Hah...just realized why there will be new episodes.  She's got to promote her new cookbook.  Oh well...love her show anyway :>)

Edited by annzeepark914

I'm looking forward to seeing Ina again!  I've recorded all of her shows and know every one of them by heart, I think.  I finally branched out to other shows before I lost my mind.

I can hardly wait to see Michael again.  I've always wanted him for my next door neighbor.  I'd cook for him if he'd arrange my garden flowers.  He would certainly keep the neighborhood in a cheerful frame of mind!

• Love 2

The premiere CFJ episode (10/16): 

Ina revealed that Jeffrey and Barb like to take long walks together early in the morning when they are all on vacation together.  Well isn't that cozy!  Of course Barb is a younger, stylish, thin blonde (and her husband is ancient).   She practically ran to the house, no waiting for the 100-year-old husband.  "I love our vacations together," Jeffrey exclaims.  With their sweaters over their shoulders and seated next to each other, Barb and Jeffrey made a handsome couple.  Poor Bobby, almost totally ignored at the other end.

Jeffrey hates birthdays, birthday presents, surprises, kids, Christmas, kittens, balloons.  Geez.

I think this was the first time I've ever seen camo on Barefoot Contessa.  Bobby was grating the rind onto the bruscetta.  He never turned that lemon once.

The meal looked delicious, I love polenta and meatballs.

I thought the episode was good and it was so nice to see fresh new episodes from Ina.  I liked Ina's slightly lighter hair color, too.  The food looked delicious and Jeffrey was a good sport to play along as being "totally clueless" about his birthday surprise.  The only think that left me with question marks was what kind of flavor that Italian liqueur had. (I guessed citrus?)

Looking forward to more new shows!

Loved the episode, thought the menu was a little different for Ina but she made me want to make her meatballs and I will definitely be trying chard based on her comment, "it's a bit sweeter than spinach."

Laughed at the matching sweaters over the shoulders with Barbara and Jeffrey and they do seem to all get on well together.  

There was something that jumped out immmediatelly though and that was Ina's face.  Did anyone notice a shadow/scar on her left side of her cheek?  Hope it was just lighting or the HD.

Ina's on QVC right now!  She's selling her book with David.  Just gave a preview and will be on with him later.

Can't wait to see this show on re-run I will definitely be watching for Bobby grating the rind!  lol

And yes, he had camo on!!!  omg, I laughed out loud.  Probably a Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger jacket but camo nonetheless, lol.

About the scar:  Last winter Ina had to re-schedule one of her appearances because of an accident and I wonder if the scar is the result of that.  Never heard what was involved -- car?  slipping on ice?  No inside information here, just speculation.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

About the scar:  Last winter Ina had to re-schedule one of her appearances because of an accident and I wonder if the scar is the result of that.  Never heard what was involved -- car?  slipping on ice?  No inside information here, just speculation.

I'm guessing Jeffrey was so offended that he didn't get chicken on his birthday that, you know....

The food looked great, as usual.  But I was dying at the behavior of the skinny Barbara who almost seemed to be sweating over the stress of consuming carbohydrates.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2016 at 1:01 PM, vera charles said:

I just heard that Ina had a new episode this morning, so I immediately came here! I will have to catch a rerun this week or whenever they air her reruns. I haven't looked at FN in so long, I have no idea.

I missed it as well. The episode will be airing on Wednesday 10/19 at 11 am EST.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

I'm guessing Jeffrey was so offended that he didn't get chicken on his birthday that, you know....

The food looked great, as usual.  But I was dying at the behavior of the skinny Barbara who almost seemed to be sweating over the stress of consuming carbohydrates.

Aww, I love Barbara! She looks like the stereotype of a cold, skinny, blonde, rich northeastern woman. But she's actually lovely and warm and down to earth.

I was sad not to see Ina make the polenta. Mine comes out terribly, so I could've used the tips. My husband also noticed that there wasn't any birthday dessert. Maybe that was at Jeffrey's request.

• Love 1

I've never tried meatballs and polenta, and Ina might be the girl to convince me!  The chard bruschetta looked amazing, too, but I'm currently on a low carb diet, and that was hard for my stomach to watch.  We miss bread.  Especially crusty grilled bread with delicious toppings.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2016 at 10:01 AM, LilaFowler said:

The premiere CFJ episode (10/16): 

Ina revealed that Jeffrey and Barb like to take long walks together early in the morning when they are all on vacation together.  Well isn't that cozy!  Of course Barb is a younger, stylish, thin blonde (and her husband is ancient).   She practically ran to the house, no waiting for the 100-year-old husband.  "I love our vacations together," Jeffrey exclaims.  With their sweaters over their shoulders and seated next to each other, Barb and Jeffrey made a handsome couple.  Poor Bobby, almost totally ignored at the other end.

I noticed the Barb / Jefferey comments too. Call me super old fashioned if you want to but I 'd have a hard time with my husband taking morning walks with another woman during our vacation.  Ina is much more progressive than I could ever be.  

At any rate, I have never thought of meatballs and polenta together before.  I LOVE meatballs and, being from the South, I love grits, so this would likely be a dream meal for me.  I can't wait to try it!! I'm so glad to have Ina back on my TV!! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, cam3150 said:

I noticed the Barb / Jefferey comments too. Call me super old fashioned if you want to but I 'd have a hard time with my husband taking morning walks with another woman during our vacation.  Ina is much more progressive than I could ever be.  

I'd have a hard time with my husband taking morning walks with a skinny, attractive blonde, period!  Other than that, we've been on vacation so I missed the original airing and repeat of this episode.  I'll have to keep a watch for another rerun.  How many more new episodes will there be?

Don't Ina and Jeffrey spend most of the week apart during the school year? If she can trust him to be gone more than half the time, it probably feels petty to prevent two walkers and good friends from walking together on vacation. If anything, Jeffrey and Barbara should be worried that they've left Bobby alone with Ina and her cooking!

• Love 4

I haven't yet seen the episode, as it premiered when I was asleep, and I don't much care for Ina's attempts at acting out a storyline with Jeffrey and/or their friends so I haven't exactly tracked it down, but these are at least ostensibly people they are close enough with to share a vacation.  If she can't trust Jeffrey after all this time to do something as innocuous as take a walk with a friend, she shouldn't be married to him.  So if this silly storyline reflects reality, good on her.

• Love 3

I know nothing of Barbara, and am sure she's a lovely person to be a close friend.  But because I have watched Barefoot Contessa for so long and am clearly an expert on Ina's marriage, I'll go out on a limb to say Barbara is not Jeffrey's type.  He's a brunette man.  I just know it.

Now, if Barbara dyed her hair a darker shade, dabbed some chicken au jus behind her ears, and used French baguettes as hand weights during their beach walks, then I'd be a little more concerned.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

I know nothing of Barbara, and am sure she's a lovely person to be a close friend.  But because I have watched Barefoot Contessa for so long and am clearly an expert on Ina's marriage, I'll go out on a limb to say Barbara is not Jeffrey's type.  He's a brunette man.  I just know it.

Now, if Barbara dyed her hair a darker shade, dabbed some chicken au jus behind her ears, and used French baguettes as hand weights during their beach walks, then I'd be a little more concerned.

"how sexy is that?"

• Love 11
3 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Love this!  Yeah...Jeffrey's a "brunette man"...unless there's sauted chicken livers on crackers and rugelach being offered :>)

"......a little rough,  I like it like that."   Seriouslymade me laugh out loud!  Love ya Ina!

I'd like to try those oat crackers, they looked good and I'm always looking for recipes for my figs from my two fig trees, that is, when they decide to produce, they are very fickle, lol.

A couple of things that jumped out at me and that is that our Ina is straying from her basic uniform.   She stepped out with different earrings and even a gold bracelet.  I couldn't figure out if the bracelet was an evil eye or an opal?  I found both of the pieces of jewelry distracting, lol, but then I do have a soft spot for crows ;)

I thought Tess looked like a very young Martha Stewart.  Didn't really care for any of the Dean's houses, I'm like Ina, 'old-fashioned.'  lol

Edited by finnzup
  • Love 1

Enjoyed the episode and the paella looked so good!  I think I may try to make those oatmeal crackers.  

Was hoping that "Tess" would be our lovely Tess from years ago -- it would be fun to see how some of her younger guests have grown up.  

Finnzup, I noticed the bracelet too -- goodness, we know Ina well!  I'm going to have to agree on the homes they visited -- I'm old-fashioned in my architectural preferences.  My father was an architect and he completely loved and drew modern lines.  Very Frank Lloyd Wright-ish.

• Love 1

Hmmm ... well, there was that one old episode where Ina was making some food for Jeffrey to take back to Yale with him and she made that " ... it better not be with some blonde ... " remark.  LOL!  Guess she wasn't referring to Barbara.

Sorry, but I was more intrigued by the architectural tour. I know. It's because of week after week of seeing bare Oklahoma highways and pastureland and I was starved for something more stimulating. I thought Ina's food looked really good and I'm going to give those oat crackers a whirl.

I wasn't paying attention to Ina's jewelry because I was mesmerized by Debra's hair and not in a good way. Barbara needs to grab Debra the next time she goes to her colorist. Yikes! What a fried looking mess. I could tell that Debra is one of those fortunate women who is going to look stunning with gray/silver hair and I don't think it would be aging at all on her with her blue eyes and skin tone.

• Love 3

I know it was mentioned before, but today I really looked at the scar near Ina's eye.  It's kind of long and whatever happened she was fortunate her vision wasn't affected -- at least I'm assuming it wasn't.  I loved the tour and was tickled to see the scaffolding at the windmill.  Remember that long-ago episode when Ina toured the windmill and then had the crew for lunch with probably the worst centerpieces this side of Sandra Lee?

• Love 5

That wasn't Tess the young baker from years ago? I thought that it was and what a shame that she had dyed her lovely dark hair--speaking of which, I love Ina's new brighter color, if I could get my hair to look like that I wouldn't have gone gray.

It was a different Tess.  It would be really cool for a follow-up show with the first Tess we were introduced to.  I'd also like to revisit the young woman who was going to medical school.  And if the bride and groom from the "floating island" rehearsal dinner were still together as well as whale pants and his wife. LOL! I've just created a whole new season for Ina.

• Love 5

Jeffrey's cooking skills are those of a toddler, he seemed SO uncomfortable handing a spoon. 

So happy we have new episodes of this show, I didn't realize how much I'd missed Ina. The shows on Food Network featuring washed out celebs are all awful. I actually learned something here, how to better press out pizza dough. Letting it hang off the side of the counter is a good tip, I'll have to try it. 

Edited by CocoaGoddess
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

Watching Jeffrey try to make that pizza was killing me.  That and Ina's loud, nervous giggling were just too much for me. 

Oh. Dear. Lord. Was she drunk? I wanted Jeffrey to cram a ball of that dough down her throat. Poor Jeffrey being forced to "make" pizza while she is standing there cackling the entire time. I thought she was going to pee in her pants there at the end. However, the finished pizza looked deeelish. 

• Love 2

Finally!  I got to see one of the new episodes today.  Did they ever eat that nice looking salad?  They seemed to go for the dessert right after the pizza.  It was great to see a new episode after all the reruns.  I thought it was interesting that Ina mentioned all that Jeffrey does as a consultant.  Maybe it got back to her that, over the years on her show, he was looking like the village idiot & that she needed to let people know what a smart man he is.  He's a good egg!  I loved the looks he was giving her as she was making remarks while he tried to make a pizza.  I'd have flour all over me and been a mess trying to make a pizza.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, sassykattt said:

Ina was on the Chew and said that she loved to cook and Jeffrey loved to eat.  So what's the idea with making him make pizza?  A plug for a buddy with a pizza truck?

Maybe Jeffrey wanted to know where pizza's came from.

• Love 3

it felt like a buddy with a truck. It also felt like Ina was either drunk, passive-aggressive or truck guy is more than a buddy. Ina had some good cackling going on; and while she's a cackler, it's not normally non-stop.

Might I add that one of my favorite pizza toppings is prosciutto, arugula and a bit of shaved parm. So while the salad was no doubt delicious, dressed arugula doesn't last as long as it took to make those pizzas.

Edited for small stuff because apparently, I'm distracted by the Cubs.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, schnauzergirl said:

I thought Ina came across as nervous that Jeffrey wouldn't do well in his first pizza making endeavor.  

Maybe, but while I think Jeffrey is a cutie patootie, I don't tune in to watch him struggle making pizza. There are SO few quality cooking shows on these days and Ina has been my refuge in the storm of crappy, gimmicky "cooking" shows. I'll give her a pass on this one but I hope we don't see a lot of her involving him in the kitchen. Hope she sticks to cooking for him and not involving him in the process too much. The great Julia Child didn't have Paul in the kitchen whipping up soufflés. 

• Love 5