Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: XL 2 Sneak Peek - Mission Impossible

Ryan's life quest annoyed me, not so much because he decided to go off on his own, but because you are NOT on your own with a cameraman and a producer (and possibly a guy with a gun) in tow.  So much easier to do the macho thing when there is someone who can call for backup if you get sick or injured.

• Love 7

I think Ryan is gunning for his own spinoff show. He realized that by going off on his own he'd have the chance to "shine" and "play host" better than if stayed where he was and shared the spotlight with a bunch of other people. In his other episode, he went all Bear Grylls as he walked through the swamp with his little flag, talking in hushed tones to the camera and dramatically narrating his adventure. 

Darrin is annoying me more than I thought he would. I think he is a shit stirrer. In his other episode, his partner complained about him being a know it all, but I didn't see it. I definitely see it this time around. His snide remarks ("That lake is FULL of fish" and "You're not starving") are going to get his ass kicked. Steven Lee Hall talking about himself in third person doesn't irritate me nearly as much. 

• Love 6
On August 10, 2016 at 9:01 AM, gaPeach said:

It must be the lack of food and water that is making these normally sane people feel as though their trust has been breach or broken because Steven and Darrin got pissy with each other.  Yes Steven should have gone back as promised but if he and Darrin were on the same page and working together it made perfect sense for Darrin to go back and let the group know that Steven stayed back to try his hand using the bow.  What is wrong with that?  its not like Amazing Race where teams must stay together. 

Steven stayed behind to try and kill some food for the group.  The fact that he and Darrin did not see eye to eye should not have been the groups problem. And Darrin was just stirring the pot when he came back to tattle on Steven for 1. staying (cause you know a promise is a promise) and 2. Even if Steven did say they were all lazy (which he either did not say or I missed it) Darrin did not need to share it.  The only purpose of sharing it was to stir shit up with group.  And I think Darrin embellished what Steven actually said just to get the group pissed off at Steven because he was pissed.

And really?  I know the bow was Darrin's but he couldn't just let Steven try it?  He had no better luck than Steven had with his spear.  In fact I think he got pissed when he bragged that he had 40 shots with bow and Steven pointed out that was 40 FAILS to kill anything.  The look on Darrin's face was priceless.

And the whole group showing up to confront......er "talk" to Steven was pointless but also very confrontational and had the "ganging up" feel to it.  And they must not have been very far from the camp because they got there so quickly, so what was the BIG deal about staying out two days?  And asking for the bow back to "secure" it for the group....huh?  What was Steven going to do?  Break the bow?  Steal it to go where exactly?

And I felt for Steven sitting there trying to get food for group and here they come all broken up because their trust is broken now all because Darrin came back to camp crying like a little girl......sorry to all the little girls out there.  I totally got Steven when he said it hurt his feelings and I am glad he did not go off on any of them especially Darrin who looked like a deer caught in the headlights when Steven said he never said that they were all lazy.  Darrin fumbled around looking for some way to rework exactly what Steven said.  When that one chick (can't remember her name) said she point blank asked Darrin 3 times that Steven said they were all being lazy and Darrin said yes that is what he said, only to fumble around when confronted by Steven, I thought she would see through Darrin's BS but she didn't.

Sigh.  Like I said at the beginning of my post I will cut them a lot of flack because these people are STARVING and not thinking logically.  I hope they recant some of it at the reunion when they have full stomachs.

Darrin was being a snake and lied about what Steven said, and who cares about having the bow back at the camp, they where all just lying around the fire anyways. Where they needing the bow that very second. Lol what a joke 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Liberty said:

Any ideas why this season is not creating much action on the forum?

Are people tired of the show?  Tired of the characters?.....

I think it's a little of both. These characters..good lord it's hard to be sympathetic and cheer for them. They are petty, lazy, mean, and egomaniacs. 

• Love 3

I think the forum gets no action because the only episode thread is this one. People might check the forum and all they see is the sneak peek thread. 

Why do we not get episode threads, is there no mod for this forum?

• Love 6

I'm not convinced that we saw the entire conversation between Darren and Steven. Darren might have twisted the words a bit, but with Steven's greatly over inflated self-worth and opinions on his skills, I can easily imagine him talking smack about the others (just as he did about Ryan from the beginning).

Looks like Ryan just failed at his audition for his own show. 

Obviously these people are amazing and doing things I would never, ever contemplate, but I am just so over the macho BS. This year might not pack the drama like last year did, but there are way fewer truly dislikable people involved.

• Love 5

These people are so completely ridiculous with all the drama of.... "it's dangerous out there, and we're just food for all the animal predators just waiting to eat us"

but when someone calls "medic, medic" a group of people come running in. They cannot really believe that the 'production crew and hired locals are not standing by with weapons to keep those animals from attacking one of them.

The girl who got carried out by the medics just wanted to TAP but didn't have the balls to admit it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, stillhere1900 said:

These people are so completely ridiculous with all the drama of.... "it's dangerous out there, and we're just food for all the animal predators just waiting to eat us"

but when someone calls "medic, medic" a group of people come running in. They cannot really believe that the 'production crew and hired locals are not standing by with weapons to keep those animals from attacking one of them.

Totally agree.  A season or two ago, on the non-XL show, there was a shot of one participant asking a cameraman for directions.

They may be naked, they may be afraid, but they are not alone.

• Love 4

Last three weeks have been totally boring.  I fell asleep halfway through each time.

I had high hopes, now it's just watching skinny naked people sleep, sit, and pick at ticks.

no thanks.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, LocimusPrime said:

I think it's a little of both. These characters..good lord it's hard to be sympathetic and cheer for them. They are petty, lazy, mean, and egomaniacs. 

Except Jake, IMO. Jake appears to be the only one getting what food they have. He's the only one I like right now.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Liberty said:

Well.... there are simply no stand outs - no villains or crazys or sympathetic contestants to talk about. Last time we had looney tunes trying to break the firestarter, throwing tools in the river, turning on team members and driving them out, etc. The closest to a villainous act we have this time is the fight over the bow where Darrin runs back and tells the group Steven said they're all lazy. I thought that whole thing was hunger and frustration over the failed hunt more than anything else. 

Really, I'm not really liking any of this bunch - but I'm still of the opinion it's mainly the editing. They're more than halfway through the 40 days, and I'm just now learning the women's names. I've learned the men's names, but am not impressed with any of them.

• Love 2

I'd really like to know WTF these women are contributing, because they seem totally useless, and I hope it's just editing. Jake is by far the best one out there, and I want to have a beer with him. Or a mimosa, or whatever.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Well.... there are simply no stand outs - no villains or crazys or sympathetic contestants to talk about. Last time we had looney tunes trying to break the firestarter, throwing tools in the river, turning on team members and driving them out, etc. The closest to a villainous act we have this time is the fight over the bow where Darrin runs back and tells the group Steven said they're all lazy. I thought that whole thing was hunger and frustration over the failed hunt more than anything else. 

Really, I'm not really liking any of this bunch - but I'm still of the opinion it's mainly the editing. They're more than halfway through the 40 days, and I'm just now learning the women's names. I've learned the men's names, but am not impressed with any of them.

OMG I would pay Honora $20 to run in on this group and just start throwing shit in the lake.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I'd really like to know WTF these women are contributing, because they seem totally useless, and I hope it's just editing. Jake is by far the best one out there, and I want to have a beer with him. Or a mimosa, or whatever.

I blame the editing. Remember the quick little snippet where the women were out collecting cattails. Then we never hear anyone talk about cooking or eating them. I pretty much forgot the cattails, but then when they're talking about moving to the river someone mentions they're running out of cattails at the lake and hope there'll be some on the river 

• Love 2

I think the women have done a lot.  Wasn't it Alyssa that they said was the expert on snares, and she set out the plan to get an animal?  I think the problem with that attempt was the the animal was too big.  They needed to go after a female or a young (whatever-they-are-called).

Steven Lee Hall, Jr. seemed pretty upset that Phaedra gave him the stink eye after Darrin's b.s.  I don't see disrespect for the women so I think they are pitching in with the fire, the water, and the fishing, none of which is very exciting to watch.

• Love 1

I was hoping Stacy would leave with Tawny, ugh. Out of all of them, she is the one I can't stand the most. All she does is whine and complain. My favorite part was when they were hunting and being really still and quiet, then all of a sudden "LUNCH IS READY COME AND GET IT!!!"

"Shh..they're hunting."

"OH MY GOSH WHY DO I DO THINGS FOR YOU PEOPLE?! I'M ON STRIKE."

Eeeeyesh.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I think the women have done a lot.  Wasn't it Alyssa that they said was the expert on snares, and she set out the plan to get an animal?  I think the problem with that attempt was the the animal was too big.  They needed to go after a female or a young (whatever-they-are-called).

I'd like to know just what they have to make the snares out of. I think they've caught two animals now which broke the cordage they were made of. To me, that means the snares work, but the cordage isn't strong enough. Thing is, they have wire to make snares. What does the mountain man, Ryan, the know-it-all expert who attempted to school the others on how setting the snares do with the wire? He makes his ridiculous horn hat!

Side note: I'm hoping the snares are one of the editing choices that seem to have been glossed over. We never see anyone dismantling the snares when they move. And, maybe the use of cordage instead of wire is a condition placed on the show to allow them to trap at all. I hope the animals that escaped didn't end up with a noose cutting off blood to a leg ending up in a slow death. Course there seem to be enough real predators around that would happily help end the suffering.

16 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Steven Lee Hall, Jr. seemed pretty upset that Phaedra gave him the stink eye after Darrin's b.s.  I don't see disrespect for the women so I think they are pitching in with the fire, the water, and the fishing, none of which is very exciting to watch.

Thought it hilarious when Steven started pouting because the others didn't properly praise his turtle catch. I'm not which he wants more, praise or food.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, niklj said:

I was hoping Stacy would leave with Tawny, ugh. Out of all of them, she is the one I can't stand the most. All she does is whine and complain. My favorite part was when they were hunting and being really still and quiet, then all of a sudden "LUNCH IS READY COME AND GET IT!!!"

"Shh..they're hunting."

"OH MY GOSH WHY DO I DO THINGS FOR YOU PEOPLE?! I'M ON STRIKE."

Eeeeyesh.

This!  I totally cracked up at this and actually it was the highlight of the episode.

4 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Except for the one monitor lizard, I haven't seen much in the way of small game.  I'm sure they would go for anything if they could find it.

Well they got a turtle ?.  I was thinking of the younger nyala or warthogs, they seem to be focusing on the large adult males.

• Love 1

I must be in the minority, because I was happy to see Ryan strike off "on his own". True, he's not totally alone. But still. At least his fruit gathering and lizard catching was more interesting than watching the rest of them sit around and starve for hours on end. But I guess, in the end, he's fucked it all up anyway. 

I totally agree that Tawny just wanted to tap, but couldn't admit it. "Tra la la, I'll just go off by myself here...oh shit, I fell. I passed out. No one was around to see. I conveniently landed on my back on this little incline here. Ow. My tummy really hurts for some reason. Damn, I just didn't want go out like this. (You ARE taking me out, right?)". End scene. 

I continue to think the focus on the big mammals is waste. Fish. When you've depleted your fishing source, find another. That's really the best way to feed yourself when you don't want to waste too many calories. 

• Love 7

Your guess on what were Tawny's thought as she was being carried out of that hell.....

1) Should I shower first or eat first ?

2) I'm sorry I didn't make it.  I'm sorry I had to go out like this ?

3) Should I eat first or shower first ?

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Is there a N&A rule that says a participant can't use his/ her burlap bag to make clothes out of?

I think it was mentioned in one of the lead-ups to the actual show that they aren't allowed to use the bags for anything and must carry them around wherever they go because there is some audio equipment in them.

On 8/2/2016 at 9:04 PM, ClareWalks said:

These contestants do not have access to a supermarket to get much-needed complete proteins such as cheese. You may find killing animals to be distasteful but it's how humans have been satisfying their nutritional needs for millennia. 

What I find problem with is the fact that all these macho men care about is killing big game. It can't be something smaller and less wasteful only big will do just so they can prove themselves and show the rest of the world how manly they are. Steven said that's what he came for to Africa - to kill a big game. Not to show his mental strength and test survivor skills but kill big animal. You can test your hunting skills by killing smaller animal that you can use up and not go after something big that they have no chance to  cook and eat all before it goes bad. 

• Love 4
On 8/14/2016 at 0:10 PM, Liberty said:

I dunno, it's all just so boring sometimes. They're all sitting around doing nothing all day just waiting to make the last day. Doesn't seem to be much else going on.

• Love 2
On August 16, 2016 at 9:37 PM, lidarose9 said:

I guess nobody is desperately concerned about Ryan's injured diaphragm. Or whatever. Mr. King of the World.

When he started complaining about not feeling well,  said his diaphragm hurt and started puking it screamed reaction/possible allergy to what he'd eaten to me. I had the exact thing happen to me years ago after taking codeine. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack, my chest hurt so bad. And, I hurled for hours in between chest wrenching pain that ebbed and flowed like a labor contraction. When my husband got home from work and took me to the doctor, she said it was esophageal spasms and gave me some IV valium. I think he was having a horrible reaction to the fruit or lizard. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Didn't he say that the lizard had poison glands behind its jaws, thus he had to grab it a certain way? I think the meat might have been tainted.

Yes, he did. Lizards are also known carriers of salmonella and other cooties. I don't know if he'd eaten that fruit prior to going off on his own, either. When he got sick, it brought what happened to me out of the dark recesses of my memory because the symptoms were identical. I was told it wasn't a true allergy, that it's an adverse reaction. I'll say it's about as adverse as I ever want to feel!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I think it was mentioned in one of the lead-ups to the actual show that they aren't allowed to use the bags for anything and must carry them around wherever they go because there is some audio equipment in them.

Thanks for the info. I wondered why they carried them around all the time and didn't seem to use them except to hide their naughty bits.

On 8/17/2016 at 11:40 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Ah, thanks for the info, as that's something I've always wondered.

4 minutes ago, realitytree said:

I thought Stacy was sneaky.  She decided not to eat the fruit because she had been sick  after eating the cucumber fruit.  She just sat there watching without saying a word.   

I'm pretty sure she said to the group that she ate the cucumber fruit and it made her sick, or was that only said to the camera?

I'm not her biggest fan, but I thought this was the one very smart thing she did.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, realitytree said:

I believe Stacy only mentioned the fruit to the camera.   

I'm not at home where I can check my dvr, but if that's the case, then yes, that's sneaky and it would have absolutely been better for her to say something to the group.  But even so, her reaction to the cucumber seemed to be because it was acidic and she had an empty stomach.  This seemed beyond just a bad reaction.  Even if she'd said something, most of them probably would have still have eaten it.

• Love 1
On August 9, 2016 at 4:53 PM, piequinn35 said:

I think Discovery Ch Ca is 1 one ep behind. Was ep 4 that they all met?

Yes, I think you're right and I'm also wondering why the episodes aren't separated. It's pretty frustrating being an episode behind, catching up in the forum to the episode that aired in U.S. last week and getting spoiled by the comments.

Don't know if it was common knowledge or not.   I do remember Stacy throwing up after eating the fruit and suggesting to Tawny they not tell the others they threw up in the camp.  That's pretty sneaky.  Guess I'm not a Stacy fan.    I still find Darrin interesting to watch and am hoping he makes it to the end.

• Love 3