Type keyword(s) to search

Escaping Polygamy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's such a tough situation I can't imagine how they work it up. It was so heartbreaking how Jessie was saying his first wife was the one pushing for him to marry her sister but then she was so hurt afterwards. I'm glad that he realized he couldn't have another wife and that he didn't want his children to grow up this way. That's where I see hope for this family it's the better life for the future generation.

On another note did it seem like Jessica was going to puke when he said he had two wives? 

• Love 8

I can understand Jesse and the sister's conundrum regarding their living arrangement.  They have a whole bunch of kids and it's not like they'd want to push one of the women and her kids to the side.  They have to take care of everyone.   The important thing is getting away from the cult and raise their children out of all that.

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, WInterfalls said:

Did anyone watch the episode last night? That guy was a real fascinating case. Two wives, knows polygamy is wrong, doesn't want more wives, but plans to continue living polygamy because he already has these 2 wives and 8 kids so he's kinda stuck.  I kind of wanted to hate him because of the two wives and them being sisters and all, but at the same time he seemed like a nice, caring guy.  

I felt so torn with him.  He did seem really sweet and sincere and I get that he felt he had to continue to keep polygamy because he had made a commitment to these two women but ... I don't know.  You are still raising your kids in polygamy.  I can only imagine that being confusing to kids as they grow up to hear their parents tell them polygamy is wrong while still living it themselves.  I also got a weird vibe when the younger sister talked about how she and him stayed up after her sister fell asleep and ended up getting really close when she was only 14.  It seemed predatory.  I felt for the wife sitting next to her sister listening to her telling this story. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Peper81 said:

I felt so torn with him.  He did seem really sweet and sincere and I get that he felt he had to continue to keep polygamy because he had made a commitment to these two women but ... I don't know.  You are still raising your kids in polygamy.  I can only imagine that being confusing to kids as they grow up to hear their parents tell them polygamy is wrong while still living it themselves.  I also got a weird vibe when the younger sister talked about how she and him stayed up after her sister fell asleep and ended up getting really close when she was only 14.  It seemed predatory.  I felt for the wife sitting next to her sister listening to her telling this story. 

I thought he said that he wanted to get them out so that his children would know that polygamy isn't the only choice out there, and that they don't need to have three wives (or be one of three wives) to get into the celestial kingdom. Not so much that polygamy is wrong. 

This episode really made me think about the show as a whole as it's not the polygamy itself that's evil, it's the cult/cult leaders - physical/mental abuse, fraud, violence, etc. The show should really be called "Escaping Cults"...but I guess that isn't as catchy.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, bdel said:

I thought he said that he wanted to get them out so that his children would know that polygamy isn't the only choice out there, and that they don't need to have three wives (or be one of three wives) to get into the celestial kingdom. Not so much that polygamy is wrong. 

This episode really made me think about the show as a whole as it's not the polygamy itself that's evil, it's the cult/cult leaders - physical/mental abuse, fraud, violence, etc. The show should really be called "Escaping Cults"...but I guess that isn't as catchy.

I could have sworn the person filming him asked him if he thought polygamy was wrong and he said yes in one of his talking heads.  

50 minutes ago, Peper81 said:

I could have sworn the person filming him asked him if he thought polygamy was wrong and he said yes in one of his talking heads.  

He hedged the answer, walking a fine line to say that cult polygamy was bad and that he didn't want his family to live in that environment.

1 hour ago, terrymct said:

He hedged the answer, walking a fine line to say that cult polygamy was bad and that he didn't want his family to live in that environment.

I believe he said "organized polygamy" is wrong? 

He's my favorite escapee so far, because he's either a really great actor or genuinely empathetic and pretty self-aware. But maybe his resemblance to Matt Saracen of Friday Night Lights threw me off lol

I, too, kept wondering how the living situation going forward will work. I was surprised they were in separate homes, actually. I thought they wanted to keep everyone together, but keep them all out of the AUB.

• Love 1

I thought he said that he now realized that polygamy is not essential to getting into heaven.  He also said that he now sees the damage that is done, especially after watching what his 1st wife went through.

He seemed pretty clear to me that he does not feel polygamy benefits the children/wives and that he doesn't want his children to be raised thinking it is essential to their salvation.  I think he probably does feel stuck to keep the two wives and I didn't see any animosity between the two sisters.  Unfortunately, he mentioned that his wive(s) were suffering because they only had half a husband and that is something I don't see how they can change easily.  

He may decide to "spiritually divorce" himself from the younger sister and make their relationship one of brother/sister-in-law.  I think they may be able to make this work with the help of a very good therapist who is familiar with breaking cult thinking/behavior and also family therapy to help them work on co-parenting.  Aside from the two moms being sisters, it would be manageable as a co-parenting situation.  Maybe the younger sister could even someday find a new partner who would understand the situation.  

• Love 9

That was so heartbreaking. Poor Suzette to carry such guilt like that. She didn't know what Jeffs was at the time. She obviously knew he was a liar. I can't help but feel that cop took her info to just have on file who was there and looking for who to pass on. I loved how they were calling out that lady on her bs. 

As I watch shows like this I sometimes start googling things and I found these articles...this one the most recent and there was this one in the LA Times.

• Love 5
On 8/10/2017 at 2:26 PM, JenMcSnark said:

I thought he said that he now realized that polygamy is not essential to getting into heaven.  He also said that he now sees the damage that is done, especially after watching what his 1st wife went through.

He seemed pretty clear to me that he does not feel polygamy benefits the children/wives and that he doesn't want his children to be raised thinking it is essential to their salvation.  I think he probably does feel stuck to keep the two wives and I didn't see any animosity between the two sisters.  Unfortunately, he mentioned that his wive(s) were suffering because they only had half a husband and that is something I don't see how they can change easily.  

He may decide to "spiritually divorce" himself from the younger sister and make their relationship one of brother/sister-in-law.  I think they may be able to make this work with the help of a very good therapist who is familiar with breaking cult thinking/behavior and also family therapy to help them work on co-parenting.  Aside from the two moms being sisters, it would be manageable as a co-parenting situation.  Maybe the younger sister could even someday find a new partner who would understand the situation.  

A really nice point of view on this. 

His situation is really a hard one and I feel for him. Whatever he decides there is still the situation with the kids being cross related. Brothers/sisters/cousins.

I tell you, that Jeffs creeps me out and every time they put one of videos on I shudder. I know they do it for informative purposes but yet it seems like a continuation of his "ministry".

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ethalfrida said:

I tell you, that Jeffs creeps me out and every time they put one of videos on I shudder. I know they do it for informative purposes but yet it seems like a continuation of his "ministry".

Agree. I understand why they do it but wish they wouldn't just because he is a disgusting piece of crap. Yet sadly there is plenty more that are as bad that keep getting shown as well on tv. I won't say the disgusting idiot's name because I refuse to but I am sick to death of the ads for a certain show on a murderer being shown over and over again during these shows. I was deeply disturbed by the one last night aired during this show trying to make it sound like this person was innocent. I am sorry and I know this is a bit off topic but during a show that is trying to get people out of a horrible and abusive situations I think the last thing that should be advertised is another show on that channel about some other disgusting pig that murdered. 

• Love 2
On 8/15/2017 at 1:44 PM, Evil Queen said:

Agree. I understand why they do it but wish they wouldn't just because he is a disgusting piece of crap. Yet sadly there is plenty more that are as bad that keep getting shown as well on tv. I won't say the disgusting idiot's name because I refuse to but I am sick to death of the ads for a certain show on a murderer being shown over and over again during these shows. I was deeply disturbed by the one last night aired during this show trying to make it sound like this person was innocent. I am sorry and I know this is a bit off topic but during a show that is trying to get people out of a horrible and abusive situations I think the last thing that should be advertised is another show on that channel about some other disgusting pig that murdered. 

Slightly OT: I know exactly which preview commercial you're talking about--it disgusts me they'd even go there. 

Actual Show:

Warren Jeffs talking about little girls in that way is something I don't want to think about or even remember, but most likely I won't ever forget. 

When Suzette was at that safe house looking for her daughter and the random woman from inside asked that her if she was "dim" (or something like that), I just about died due to the somewhat ironic nature of her sarcasm, lol. 

My sentiments on Jesse and the sisters match what's been said. I hope they and the kids find their peace and a healthy "new normal".

• Love 3

Anyone have info on their security guards?  I tried searching and got bio's, facebook, twitter etc for the girls but nothing for security.  Just becoming curious if they're volunteers, do they have background with FLDS or cults or do the girls hire them (and if so how do they pay) or are they provided by the network as part of filming.

Don't get me wrong - not complaining about them at all................they seem to do a good job and certainly come in handy - it's just general curiosity about how they became part of the escape team.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Anyone have info on their security guards?

I think it was mentioned in a past season that Matt is a retired cop and they haven't said anything about the new guy this season. I would bet he is also retired LE that Matt brought on board. Having that kind of knowledge comes in handy dealing with this kind of situation. I would imagine all involved would want their kind of background handy when dealing with those whackos, so I bet the network is paying them.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ethalfrida said:

Did episode 3 air last night? I even to talked to my service provider and they said they are not responsible for what airs or not airs. Fine but did anyone see it? Or am I just off?

My DVR did not tape this week's episode for some reason.  I had to watch it at the A&E website today instead.  I'm not sure what happened.

I don't know why Jessica and Co. thought they could park and watch for Rosie on not but two days in Short Creek. They know the place is covered in cameras, everyone knows local cars and their cars are going to stick out (especially after being stopped the first time they were at Suzette's house). Now that Suzette knows where Rosie works, she can try and go to the center and talk to her. Rosie may be moved by now, but at her mom will know. Suzette needs to move to St. George. Still close but not in the middle of the FLDS. She has lived down the street from her daughter this whole time and her daughter didn't try to make contact. If the sisters want to leave, they will manage to find her.

Jessica's meeting with her mom was so sad. Not a flicker of remorse, guilt or compassion in Heidi's eyes while Jessica was telling her how she felt and what she needed from her. It was also interesting that Jessica's sister (blanking on her name) didn't meet with her mom.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I don't know why Jessica and Co. thought they could park and watch for Rosie on not but two days in Short Creek. They know the place is covered in cameras, everyone knows local cars and their cars are going to stick out (especially after being stopped the first time they were at Suzette's house). Now that Suzette knows where Rosie works, she can try and go to the center and talk to her. Rosie may be moved by now, but at her mom will know. Suzette needs to move to St. George. Still close but not in the middle of the FLDS. She has lived down the street from her daughter this whole time and her daughter didn't try to make contact. If the sisters want to leave, they will manage to find her.

Jessica's meeting with her mom was so sad. Not a flicker of remorse, guilt or compassion in Heidi's eyes while Jessica was telling her how she felt and what she needed from her. It was also interesting that Jessica's sister (blanking on her name) didn't meet with her mom.

I didn't get that either and how they thought that. It was heartbreaking to watch all that go on though for Suzette. I do hope one day she is able to be in contact with her daughters again though. I couldn't even imagine not seeing my kids ever again or being able to talk to them like that.

I was sick with how Heidi was towards Jessica. Literally nothing there at all with that woman....no feelings of any kind. It showed in her eyes for sure. I felt bad for Jessica. I think the one sister that was with her has a different mom....hard to keep it all straight but that would explain why. As well as each one will obviously react differently even towards their own mom I am sure. I give Jessica a lot of respect for doing that though. I couldn't. I will admit I can't with my own mom at all...she falls under the narcissistic personality disorder category for issues. So lots of damage there. Nothing compared to someone like Jessica though. She has to see that coldness and feel it as well. Its just so sad.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

I didn't get that either and how they thought that. It was heartbreaking to watch all that go on though for Suzette. I do hope one day she is able to be in contact with her daughters again though. I couldn't even imagine not seeing my kids ever again or being able to talk to them like that.

I was sick with how Heidi was towards Jessica. Literally nothing there at all with that woman....no feelings of any kind. It showed in her eyes for sure. I felt bad for Jessica. I think the one sister that was with her has a different mom....hard to keep it all straight but that would explain why. As well as each one will obviously react differently even towards their own mom I am sure. I give Jessica a lot of respect for doing that though. I couldn't. I will admit I can't with my own mom at all...she falls under the narcissistic personality disorder category for issues. So lots of damage there. Nothing compared to someone like Jessica though. She has to see that coldness and feel it as well. Its just so sad.

I was really sad for Jessica also.  I don't know if Heidi felt nothing.  I think it's more like she can't publicly acknowledge that anything Jessica said or felt was valid or Heidi risked the rest of her family.  As Jessica said, her  mother went through the same thing when she was younger, so maybe Heidi is trying to justify her choices. If she admits that what is happening is wrong, it negates her entire life.  In any case, I thought Jessica was amazing in that hearing and the conversation with her mother.  That took a lot of guts.

• Love 2

My heart just broke for Suzette.  

And when the elderly lady spoke at the hearing and said that it was necessary for her to live polygamy in order to get into the highest part of Heaven?  Well, that was just weird to see even for this ex-Mormon girl. And by Mormon I mean the actual LDS church.  It's just that you do hear that said about going through the temple either by marriage or mission (there may be other ways...I'm not sure) in the mainstream church and it sounded weird to me to hear the same belief about plural marriage.

Anyway, as far as Heidi and Jessica, I was surprised that she told her mother that she loved her repeatedly.  That was very sad because you could tell Heidi didn't want to say it on camera but finally gave in(?) at the end.  She seemed to mean it. I guess.  She and Jessica look exactly alike, especially in the photos when both were younger.  My goodness, talk about mini-me. 

• Love 1
On 8/8/2017 at 3:05 PM, ethalfrida said:

You are so right. Your point of view is compassionate...

I thought about their living style also. Since the first wife is not liking that her sister is the second wife I wonder what the solution will be... 

I wonder, too, but I think her issue is more that she didn't realize how much it would hurt to share, not so much that it is her sister. I think she is trying to adapt. I think Jesse feels stuck in that he feels an obligation to both and doesn't want either to feel abandoned. It's going to be really hard on all of them, I think, no matter what they decide.

• Love 4

I hope Issac gets some major therapy. The way he spoke about Jeffs was disturbing and making me sick at times. I am glad he went with his brother and I was wondering if he would or not considering how it had been before between them. Seeing he had a job and friends is a good sign I hope. So I do hope he is able to come to cope with everything with a good support system. He has more then most seem to that leave. 

• Love 5

That poor brainwashed child.  I hope Issac is able to find his way through the world, but I fear he is easy pickings for another polygamous group like UAB or something.  He left because he couldn't live under the crazy restrictions of FLDS not because he believes polygamy is wrong.  I really hope that now he's in the real world he will see all the evil things polygamy does.  

• Love 6

I hope Jessica and other escaped members of the Jeffs family (like Rachel) stay in contact with Issac. Hopefully he eventually sees his father for who he really is. He can still appreciate that he had a good relationship with him as a child but he has to understand what a monster Warren Jeffs is. The other sects won't touch him with a 10 foot pole because he is Jeffs' son. At this point I don't think the FLDS will take him back either because he has brought shame on the Prophet. He is a Lost Boy. His biggest problem will be dealing with his own demons. As Evil Queen said above, he needs major therapy and serious support from friends and family. Hopefully he can find a girlfriend and fell OK about why he left the sect. It would also be nice if he and his brother could reunite with their mother, but I really don't see that happening.

• Love 5

Always kind of watched this with a "So fake" attitude. That young man Isaac was either the best actor in the world,  or a very sad, troubled kid. His emotions were so real, my heart hurt from him. It's like those kids of child molesters who want to stay with their abuser. Wishing him happiness and a girlfriend. 

• Love 3

So the church kinda wrecked his childhood, yet somehow Isaac didn't really want to criticise them. It is fairly normal for young blokes to think about girlfriends and stuff, yet the church punished and shamed him for it regardless. And as if he wasn't already in enough pain, the producer then made him talk about it too. Cruel indeed.

Despite having 100 good reasons to ditch the church, it was finally a young man's frustration that tipped the scales. So good luck to the FLDS with enforcing celibacy onto young men. If the Catholic church couldn't succeed with it over the last 2000 years, then I doubt the FLDS ever will either.

Good luck to poor Isaac finding himself a girlfriend, I guess.

• Love 5

Always knew Jeffs was a perv but I feel like this episode really hammered it home.  Those pictures with his "brides" - half his height, less than half his age snuggling against him, then the picture of him kissing one which is so disgusting I don't have a word for it.

I sincerely hope Isaac is/was able to get any help he needs to live a really free life; but that would include facing how bad his father really is which has to be tough after also having your Mom taken away.   BTW - it was also disturbing to hear Isaac call his parents Mother and Father over and over.  Such formal titles and said in such an odd tone of voice.  This would be worth re-visiting after he's been out a year or so if he's willing to sit down and talk about what progress and change he's made.

• Love 6
On 8/29/2017 at 5:48 PM, daggoth said:

So the church kinda wrecked his childhood, yet somehow Isaac didn't really want to criticise them. It is fairly normal for young blokes to think about girlfriends and stuff, yet the church punished and shamed him for it regardless. And as if he wasn't already in enough pain, the producer then made him talk about it too. Cruel indeed.

Despite having 100 good reasons to ditch the church, it was finally a young man's frustration that tipped the scales. So good luck to the FLDS with enforcing celibacy onto young men. If the Catholic church couldn't succeed with it over the last 2000 years, then I doubt the FLDS ever will either.

Good luck to poor Isaac finding himself a girlfriend, I guess.

I think that is the big reason he left as well was that he wants to be with whatever girl(s) and they are trying to tell these people its not allowed. Which I had wished the girls would have asked a little more in the way of not just leaving but in REALLY leaving the whole polygamy lifestyle as well. Is it he just left because has all these thoughts about girls...that we all know are normal for them to have but they are made to feel shame for...or is it more than that for why he left? I hope that aside from therapy for him (and others that leave) they are taught about sexual diseases and protection. It really needs to be done. 

On 8/29/2017 at 6:35 PM, sigmaforce86 said:

Always knew Jeffs was a perv but I feel like this episode really hammered it home.  Those pictures with his "brides" - half his height, less than half his age snuggling against him, then the picture of him kissing one which is so disgusting I don't have a word for it.

I sincerely hope Isaac is/was able to get any help he needs to live a really free life; but that would include facing how bad his father really is which has to be tough after also having your Mom taken away.   BTW - it was also disturbing to hear Isaac call his parents Mother and Father over and over.  Such formal titles and said in such an odd tone of voice.  This would be worth re-visiting after he's been out a year or so if he's willing to sit down and talk about what progress and change he's made.

Yes it did and it was beyond disgusting. 

I would like to see that as well. To see if he does make progress and come to terms with the truth of his "father". *gag* It reminded me though of the 2 sisters that left and the one seemed to be more deep in it with her line of thought. She even took the picture of Jeffs with her to have and wouldn't hear a thing about him. She is also what makes me think these people need to really be taught about birth control, protection and sexual disease as well because she is the one that got pregnant not long ago and said the dad wanted nothing to do with them. Which she also didn't seem as deep in that train of thought anymore but then I also didn't get the feeling she was fully there yet in realizing everything that is not ok there. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Peper81 said:

Are there no more episodes for this season?  My DVR isn't showing any.

Looking at the schedule, I don't see any more episodes for the foreseeable. So I guess the war against polygamy is on hiatus? But they did mention that the Kingston group had beefed up security. And their success against the FLDS so far has been limited at best. So no, the job ain't easy...

• Love 1

I know mine had it for this coming Monday. I know last Monday I figured it wasn't on because of it being Labor Day. I just checked and don't see it there now. Wonder what is up. I don't see it for the next 2 weeks at the very least since its all I can see on my DVR. 

19 hours ago, daggoth said:

Looking at the schedule, I don't see any more episodes for the foreseeable. So I guess the war against polygamy is on hiatus? But they did mention that the Kingston group had beefed up security. And their success against the FLDS so far has been limited at best. So no, the job ain't easy...

While yes but these shows are already filmed to go so that can't have anything to do with it but I can imagine it is getting harder and harder to do this. I hope there is an answer on what is going on here with this show. I know people are asking on SM what is up. Its all I can seem to find on it at this point when I did a search. 

• Love 1

When the 4th episode did not show on A&E on my TV I emailed them and asked what was going on. They said they were marketing the show to other networks and to email my provider and ask them to carry it. Of course, that didn't have anything to do with my question but I think they may be having issues with it.

And I seriously thought it was all reenactment. Guess I was wrong.

On 9/10/2017 at 4:56 PM, ethalfrida said:

When the 4th episode did not show on A&E on my TV I emailed them and asked what was going on. They said they were marketing the show to other networks and to email my provider and ask them to carry it. Of course, that didn't have anything to do with my question but I think they may be having issues with it.

And I seriously thought it was all reenactment. Guess I was wrong.

Interesting. I know I glanced at Facebook to see if there was something there but that is not what was said. Basically they told some to keep checking back to their FB page to find out more. Well last time I saw that said on a channel's site for a show they never played the rest of it and blew everyone off when asking about it. Then someone else posted a screen cap of them A&E saying it was on break right now. So we have 3 different answers then given for this. I have the feeling by 3 different people that have no clue but just randomly picked a copy/paste excuse to give. 

Some are wondering if there is some issues hitting the show from one of the polygamist groups. Yet A&E isn't backing down over the Scientology show so why would they with this?  Something is off with all this though or they are splitting the series up a little and just didn't inform anyone of doing that. Which I am hoping is the case. This show was originally on Lifetime (which A&E owns) but for some reason they decide to take it to the main channel. It makes no sense what you either. That they are looking for other networks to take it but to email your provider and ask them to carry it. Your provider has nothing to do with it but the network its on does. I think its going to be something we need to email them on over and over again and those on SM needed to keep asking about it. This is not cool. 

As for reenactment. I got the feeling that is what it was with some of it but not all of it. Either way this is disappointing on so many levels. It was making people more aware of the issues going on in these horrid groups still that need to be dealt with.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Interesting. I know I glanced at Facebook to see if there was something there but that is not what was said. Basically they told some to keep checking back to their FB page to find out more. Well last time I saw that said on a channel's site for a show they never played the rest of it and blew everyone off when asking about it. Then someone else posted a screen cap of them A&E saying it was on break right now. So we have 3 different answers then given for this. I have the feeling by 3 different people that have no clue but just randomly picked a copy/paste excuse to give. 

Some are wondering if there is some issues hitting the show from one of the polygamist groups. Yet A&E isn't backing down over the Scientology show so why would they with this?  Something is off with all this though or they are splitting the series up a little and just didn't inform anyone of doing that. Which I am hoping is the case. This show was originally on Lifetime (which A&E owns) but for some reason they decide to take it to the main channel. It makes no sense what you either. That they are looking for other networks to take it but to email your provider and ask them to carry it. Your provider has nothing to do with it but the network its on does. I think its going to be something we need to email them on over and over again and those on SM needed to keep asking about it. This is not cool. 

As for reenactment. I got the feeling that is what it was with some of it but not all of it. Either way this is disappointing on so many levels. It was making people more aware of the issues going on in these horrid groups still that need to be dealt with.

Exactly.

And myprovider already carries the show. I emailed them and they said A&E is the one who decides what to show. My provider has nothing to do with the show not airing. Actually, they told me to contact A&E.

I agree that the show exposes just how mind controlled the members are.

It amazes me that a group of people could just sit around and let an old nasty pervert chase off young men because they are competition for the young girls. And that's just one thing.

• Love 2

I just have to say I'm so bummed this has disappeared from the schedule. I hope they get it together with one entity or another. In the meantime, just because I need to say it, JeffInJail is such an evil control freak that I hope he never gets out of jail, and I pray these people's eyes will be opened and they no longer will let him control who can marry, and what married people do in their own homes, along with all the other evil perversions of Scripture he has perpetrated upon them.

• Love 5

I was just Googling to see why the series might have disappeared.  I didn't realize that the murder that occurred of a mother and son in the Kingston clan last November (I think) was of a woman who was the aunt of Kollene from the show.  

And I saw another article from last year that A&E was being sued by a woman whose daughter was rescued in 2014.  She sued stating that the girl didn't really want to leave the home, but that A&E lured her by promising her $5,000 per episode if she moved out of the house and in with some friends.  As she put it, what young girl wouldn't want an easy $5,000?

It could be that with these two things happening to the people and network involved with the show, maybe they stopped filming suddenly either because Kollene wasn't able (although she's not on that much really) but more probably because the network settled and/or pulled the plug because of the risk/cost associated with the lawsuit. 

• Love 1
On 9/18/2017 at 9:20 PM, JenMcSnark said:

I was just Googling to see why the series might have disappeared.  I didn't realize that the murder that occurred of a mother and son in the Kingston clan last November (I think) was of a woman who was the aunt of Kollene from the show.  

And I saw another article from last year that A&E was being sued by a woman whose daughter was rescued in 2014.  She sued stating that the girl didn't really want to leave the home, but that A&E lured her by promising her $5,000 per episode if she moved out of the house and in with some friends.  As she put it, what young girl wouldn't want an easy $5,000?

It could be that with these two things happening to the people and network involved with the show, maybe they stopped filming suddenly either because Kollene wasn't able (although she's not on that much really) but more probably because the network settled and/or pulled the plug because of the risk/cost associated with the lawsuit. 

All the shows that would air now would have already been filmed. I doubt this has anything to do with whatever is going on right now. Especially with how long ago those were and when they popped up. That woman suing is just pissed because her daughter wanted away from her I am betting and she probably thinks she will get her own kick buck from the show. Which comes off pretty crappy on this lady's part IMO considering her choices she has made for her kids to live that way. I doubt the show is going to these girls and offering them money like that if they leave and do the show. Especially that much. 

Kollene was a small part of the show as well btw, She was never one of the main girls but more a fill in if that makes sense. 

• Love 2

Just wanted to share that I have read the show will be on again but its kind of mixed on when. I saw a few comments in places that said they read Jan. So here is to hoping so. I almost had wondered if they wanted to separate having shows about crazy religious cults 2 days in a row or what it was. As I was looking I found this blog that Jessica started back in summer it looks like. I just started reading it but seems a good way for her to get out her story as she wants. She said lots ask her about doing a book but as it is the blog seems a better fit for her. I can imagine it would take so much time and energy she might not want to spend on trying to put things in order for a book. So far its a good read though. I know I am hoping to see the show back. 

• Love 4

My DVR is picking up a 5 min sneak peak for Season 4 on May 21 in the afternoon. Looked up and sure enough it seems we will see it back June 4th on Lifetime...which my DVR shows the sneak peak on A&E (both channels are owned by the same people though).

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

My DVR is picking up a 5 min sneak peak for Season 4 on May 21 in the afternoon. Looked up and sure enough it seems we will see it back June 4th on Lifetime...which my DVR shows the sneak peak on A&E (both channels are owned by the same people though).

Thanks! So they are moving the show to Lifetime?

6 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Thanks! So they are moving the show to Lifetime?

Looks like it from what was posted online but I can't see on my DVR yet as it doesn't get that far. It was originally on that channel to begin with if I remember right. Of course they have played some shows on 2 channels at times so we shall see I guess how this goes. When my DVR shows the channel it records it on I will post. For now I'm just going off what is said online by the show. I'm glad to see it will be back. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Glad it's back too. I'm oddly fascinated by extreme believers in these folks so -called religion. I'm glad it's back too. It's one of the better ones along with the $cientology Cult. At least they are escaping.   

Edited by FairyDusted
missing a word
  • Love 3

I'm now seeing the new season starts Monday June 18th posted online. I don't see June 4th as having anything on for it like originally it was stated. Hopefully its not pushed back again. 

Forgot to get over here and post it sooner but my DVR did have the show coming on tonight with 2 new episodes. Hopefully those that wanted to watch it were able to catch it if in other time zones (I'm in Pacific so hasn't been on yet). Otherwise I'm sure it will be on demand since they had some from last season on there. 

The show did air tonight on Lifetime. Two chapters set hours apart.

So glad to see it back. I had some deja vu about some of the situations.

Spoiler alert!

The first ep was one of Jessica and Shannel's other sisters. Her story didn't look familiar until the epilogue, where it turns out (SPOILER) she went back soon after when they promised her she could marry the guy she wanted to, which was one of the reasons she gave for leaving, that they wouldn't let her marry him. I know this happened before, but the wedding pictures they showed were different from the ones they showed last time. I think this is a different girl, but I'm not sure.

The second ep had a girl who they helped escape a couple of years ago but again, I'm not sure if I've seen her before. I don't think I have. They also showed footage again of the wife who was living in the house they had sent for the health department about, Shirley. It was a little different, though. Last time, it seems the footage showed a different conversation between Shirley and the girls about calling the health department and they didn't show it this time as having been resolved, which it was.

You aren't mistaken on the episodes giving you deja vu. I am curious why they are trying to pass these off as new episodes. They are both ones we have seen before. I know the channel switch it might be new to some that might not have watched before but for those of us watching since the beginning this is repeats and NOT new. I am disappointed as I was expecting brand new. If they were going to do this why not do it as updates on past seasons girls/boys? It did look like next week was new though from the one commercial I saw for it. 

I am this is ok here but I just looked to see what was up with the repeats and this is on Twitter and explains it for us...

• Love 2

The escape in that second episode was definitely on before.  That's the family that tried to sue saying the girls and the production company invaded their house.   Their version of the events is pretty different than what we saw and, editing not withstanding, some of what they said paints them in a very good light and is pretty doubtful.......That the girls got in by reaching through a doggy door to unlock the door even though that's pretty hard to do and we saw the girls just walk into the house.  And that the family was "discussing alternatives" even though you could hear the screaming and arguing from the street as soon as the girls pulled up.  They also insist the film crew came back into the house after the police arrived while we saw them on the street filming through the front door.  That could have been left out but I have doubts the police would have let that happen or if they did try to come in and the family said No the police would have kicked them out to make sure nothing escalated and they had control of the situation.

The lawsuit was dismissed by the way - the family just stopped filing the paperwork/complaints they needed to submit.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=3693106&itype=CMSID